SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-31-10, 05:06 PM   #1876
Major Johnson
Frogman

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0

Now that is modesty at it's finest!!

I had a feeling I had it installed when my objectives screen was very descriptive, like where to go using longitude and latitude degrees and so forth. More more than the stock vanilla SH4.

I will say tho, I noticed the Saratoga class carrier in port, along with another not in the stock vanilla game. I did just disable FOTRS. Please tell me you got permission to use some of those nice renderings......

And thank you for the prompt replies.

Edit:
Well reading all 125 pages of this thread just was't my idea of how I wanted to spend my Saturday night, but I did read the first page and saw that credit was given to ATOD's Madmax and Rhonen for their masterpieces of artwork, so I can breath a little sigh of relief that JSGME worked as designed in disabling some other mods. Whew!!

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
AMD FX8350 8 Core 4.0 Ghz CPU
GeForce GTX 560 Ti PCIx Video Card
8 GB Corsair Vengence RAM
Rosewill 850W Power Supply

Last edited by Major Johnson; 07-31-10 at 05:30 PM. Reason: I read the first page Ü
Major Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-10, 10:39 PM   #1877
Major Johnson
Frogman

Well after a long weekend of RSRDC I'm back to report my impressions. I just started my 3rd patrol of a career. But if I may back up for just a second to my first patrol..........I had just left Midway after refueling from the first hop from PH. I didn't get more than a day out and ran into a Jap CV task force. Could be the very one that attacked PH?? In either case I'm pleased to say I sent a Hiyru Class carrier to the bottom. All 4 bow torps found their mark at just under 1500 yds away. I do believe this is the first carrier I've sunk since I've owned the game! Granted, I've been on a bit of hiatus as of late.

Anyway, I like the fact that you left the keyboard mappings stock. Never having gotten into SH3, I learned the stock mappings and I see no problem with them. Although I do miss a few keys from the original game, like the incremental turning to starboard or port, and the ability to set the dive planes to rise. IMO, it's a waste of the arrow keys to use them for the camera. I'd much rather them working the direction of the sub, like in SH1. But alas, I'm probably one of a few that still remembers anything from the original game.

One my big beefs with the stock game and another mod was the amount of planes. Although RSRDC definitely cuts them down, as I'm able to go days on end without seeing one, there does appear to be hot zones, where they show up every couple of hours, even when I've remained unseen by anything. That said, I've gotten into the habit of when I do see a plane, I dive and stay submerged for the rest of the day, relying on the hydrophones and periscope for contacts. And a side advantage of this practice is that I conserve desil fuel..........which brings me to my only issue with the mod, if indeed it's a mod issue. It appears that fuel consumption is different at the end of a patrol than from the beginning. I can make it from Midway to the Honshu patrol area with using just a little over a quarter of the tank, but yet getting back is not the same usage. Case in point, I finished off my last patrol with a nighttime harbor attack at Wake Island. I had more than a quarter tank of fuel which should have gotten me back to PH easily running at 2/3. But I found I had to detour to Midway, and I barely got there. I've found I have to alternate from batteries and desil to get back to Midway so I can top off to make it back to PH. Is this a game issue?? I'm a wrong to think that the optimum speed for the most distance is 2/3's? The sub I'm usuing now is a Porpoise Class. But other than fuel consumption, I'm thoroughly enjoying myself. I find that I can go literally weeks without a ship sighting. I know some people find that boring, but I think it's exactly what really happened in real life. I'm trying to figure out the shipping lanes. But when my search comes up empty, there's always a harbor not to far away that I can do a little night infiltration and get some sitting ducks. Ü

So far so good! Nice work on this mod!

Old 08-01-10, 10:51 PM   #1878
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

RSRDC doesn't mess with your sub, it's a campaign mod.

So if you are playing stock + RSRDC, your boat acts as it does in the stock game, no changes.
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-10, 07:30 AM   #1879
MoN
Seaman

Downloads: 86

Travelling submerged does not conserve fuel. Actually it costs a ton of fuel to recharge the batteries.

Bad weather can also slow you down so you use more fuel for the same distance.
MoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-10, 08:49 AM   #1880
Major Johnson
Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoN View Post
Travelling submerged does not conserve fuel. Actually it costs a ton of fuel to recharge the batteries.

Bad weather can also slow you down so you use more fuel for the same distance.

Bad weather I can understand, and that might be programmed into the game, but I don't believe the first statement is correct as far as the game goes, although in real life that may have been the case. The only way I was able to make it back to a friendly port the one patrol, was by submerging and using the batteries. But I will test that theory by checking my fuel consumption before submerging, (meaning the xxx/100 reading)then checking it again when I surface. My bet is it won't change.

Old 08-10-10, 11:41 AM   #1881
BULL
Seaman

Downloads: 241

One thought - I once had slight battery damage that only allowed my sub to charge to 99% but never reach 100%....... if I didn't turn off the charging then the engineering department just kept trying to charge the battery using precious fuel..... I also had problems getting back to base but when I turned off battery charging manually.... then my fuel economy returned to normal and I made it back to base no problem....

I hope that helps....
BULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-10, 02:58 PM   #1882
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Johnson View Post
But I will test that theory by checking my fuel consumption before submerging, (meaning the xxx/100 reading)then checking it again when I surface. My bet is it won't change.
I have not tested it, but that test should not give you any accurate information since the diesels will not run when submerged. The charging takes place on the surface and lowers you range since the diesels are both providing forward movement and charging the batteries.

A "real" test would be to start at a given point, run what the "experts" say is the best speed vs. range. Most say around 9 or 10. See how far you get when you run out of fuel.
Now do it again starting at the same point, submerge and run until the batteries are dead, surface and run on the surface at 9-10knots until your batteries are charged, submerge and run until the batteries are dead. Repeat this until you run out of fuel and see how far you go.

That would give you useful information. Obviously do the test in an area where planes and enemy ships are not going to be a problem. And if one test gives you a storm and the other flat, calm seas the results will not be accurate either.

I have not tested this but I am sure some have or they wouldn't be making these claims.

But I do agree if you are not quite going to make it back to base the extra distance using the batteries will make a difference but it is a 'short term' result and may not be accurate. For example, I am just picking numbers out of the sky here. But lets assume you have enough fuel to go 200 miles and your base is 250 miles away. You submerge and make 100 miles at 3 knots. Now you only have 150 miles to go, with enough fuel for 200, so even if you do get a 'reduced' miles per gallon, you will make it.

But the numbers they give you are based on the 'long' trip, not on a short "make it to base' emergency.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-10, 04:08 PM   #1883
ancient46
Officer

Downloads: 108
Uploads: 1

If you do a test run like Peabody said, there is a way to eliminate rough weather. Hit Ctrl N on the periscope or bridge screen, save, exit to the main menu, and load the save. You are back in calm seas.
ancient46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-10, 05:24 PM   #1884
virtualpender
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 281

Gents - a modest suggestion: could we take the discussion about fuel economy to a new thread and give Lurker his thread back? This is definitely a worthwhile exchange but as it has no relation to RSRDC I think it would be better had in its own location.

Thank you.
virtualpender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-10, 12:40 PM   #1885
Navelintel
Mate

Downloads: 167
Default Please provide an Erratum!

Be advised before you invest your valuable time in playing this Super Mod that the medal awards are totally corrupted. I found it extremely disingenuous and inconsiderate to be led to assume (without even a reference to a compatible Medal Mod) that the awards would be accurately and suitably resolved at the conclusion of a successful career patrol in RSRDC since I’ve seen no mention of this concern discussed elsewhere in the SH4 forums.

However, what’s most objectionable is the complete and utter disregard for the consumer especially when you consider that SH4 1.5 is the third version in an attempt by the developers at providing a suitable submarine simulation and they still couldn’t get it right for the career (campaign) mode as evident in either of the two Medal Mods (available for download) that are necessary to completely appreciate the SH4 1.5 stock version.

Nevertheless, if you expect a reasonable and realistic recognition of your hard earned service and patrol efforts in the career mode for RSRDC, think again. Make no mistake, unlike SH4 1.5 Stock, this SM is loaded with challenging and exciting quick missions and war patrols but what’s the point of playing the campaign if the career mode is affected by medals that still use the original game graphics, are incorrectly labeled, and are erroneously displayed in the crew roster and metals case on the sub commander’s desk at the conclusion of a campaign patrol. After starting two separate threads on this issue with a 149 viewings (as of this date) in the SubSim Radio Forums for SH4, I am extremely disappointed and surprised that there hasn’t been a single comment addressing the issue.

So if you are still satisfied with the current version of RSRDC for SH4 1.5 Stock without a suitable Metal Mod, by all means ‘carry on’ and enjoy your career.

Navelintel
Old 08-29-10, 01:02 PM   #1886
John Channing
Sea Lord

Downloads: 156
Uploads: 5

Before you start flinging vitriol around you should probably spend a little time doing some research.

Yes the medals are screwed up, no question. That is an issue with the code of the game.

The thread you are posting in is about changes to the campaign structure as it relates to the merchant and naval traffic in the game. It has nothing to do with medals.

The meer fact that no one has responded to your previous posts on this subject may be an indication that no one else shares you concerns, or that it has been dealt with before. I really don't know.

What I do know is that demanding things and showing a blatant sense of entitlement around here is probably going to have the reverse effect of what you had hoped for.

I ask everyone that plans to reply to this to take it easy and show more tolerance and respect than was evident in the original post.

Thanks

JCC
John Channing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-10, 01:06 PM   #1887
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Riiiiiight... ehm, first lines of the first post:
Quote:
“Run Silent, Run Deep, the Campaign” (RSRDC) is a major rewrite of the campaign layers of SH4 and is designed to overcome the following major “stock” campaign problems:
  • The various stock “battle” layers (i.e. BurmaJawa.mis, BattleOfMidway.mis, BattleofGuadalcanal.mis, etc) are sub-standard, not only from a ship content point of view but also from a track generation point of view and in my view completely un-reliable from a game play point of view. The reason for this is that these layers are written in a “Scripted” format that is completely unreliable when playing in “Career” mode.
  • The various Taskforce, Convoy, and Merchant layers that are total devoid of reality.
  • The mission objectives are sub-standard and need a major rewrite
  • The Special missions are also sub-standard and need work.
Think you're barking up the wrong tree here. Not too mention that post is just downright insulting.

* nvm, John beat me to it.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-10, 01:21 PM   #1888
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

Yep, you should feel lucky that lurker even bothered with a "stock" game solution.

If you don't like it, instead of whining about a CAMPAIGN MOD, fix it yourself.
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-10, 01:25 PM   #1889
MGR1
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 252

Groan....

There's always one....

Mike.
"I am the battleship Jean Bart. This name originates from a certain 'respected' privateer... Yes? You want to know what privateers are? Hmph, they are pirates that rob openly under the banner of their country."

Jean Bart from the mobile game Azur Lane.
MGR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-10, 01:26 PM   #1890
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Default navelintel

RSRDC tracks the convoys and TFs in the war according to the war records available and modded into the game. Right now I am arrived a day late at Lyete Gulf and missed the start of that battle, but since it continues for several days, I know there will be targets on the scene (I have one on radar right now.) I was not aware that RSRDC undertook a "medals" fix, and am familiar with the mod parameters offered supra, which seem to indicate otherwise. Awhile ago, I activated a stand alone medals fix mod combo, whose names I forgot, which was a three mod combo someone else created. I ceased using it because medals don't interest me, although I got lots of purple hearts from being killed by TMO destroyers.

Aside from the nasty tone of your post, it appears to be misdirected, unless lurker worked on "medals" in this mod. I play TMO/RSRDC. I wonder if the TMO fixed the medals? If it did so, you could have the best of all worlds by combining the two supermods. I don't know about RFB or whether it remodded the medals.

p.s. RSRDC is so thorough that I found the task force that hit Pearl. I created a single mission and intended to intercept it just as it was launching planes, but it was so dark I could not see the ships. They sailed right by me!!
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote