SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Special Projects > Subsim Events & Activities
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-28-05, 03:01 AM   #1
Abraham
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default How does this forum ranking system work?

Original post in the archives
http://www.subsim.com/phpBB_archive1...ic.php?t=27353

Abraham

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:26 am
Post subject: How does this forum ranking system work?

NEAL, I don't understand why I - and others - get different ranks and positions all the time.
I started on Dec. 31st. '04 as a Bilge Rat, allright, but since then I've been deckswabbie, gunner, sailor man, helmsman, OD, amoung others and now I'm suddenly a Machinist's Mate.
Furthermore my looks keeps changing all the time and not always for the better..... (though this time as a Machinist Mate I have no complaints).
Is there any system in all this and if so, how does it work? Are we promoted/degraded at (your) will?

Hitman

And the worst is still to come....you will soon be medic, and then frogman

Abraham

O.K., posts count, that's one thing. But howmany? And the positions? Are we just thrown up and down in ranks and positions all over the boat? I remember that Vonotto suddenly turned into a Chinese Red Navy sailor after I don't know how many contributions!
Is there any Justice in the system?????

Scion

... This is a Dictatorship... Run by Neal himself. (From here refered to as "the Captain") The Rules, are set as follows:

1. The Captain is always right in everything he says and does, and you are to follow any orders given at once.
2. If The Captain is ever wrong, refer to Rule #1

Abraham

Frogman is O.K. Must be something like SCUBA diving, which I love.
But Medic..... I remember 'Das Boot'... with that medic checking everybody's private parts for veneral diseases.....

Hitman

The one here is way worser. It looks like a homosexual nurse or...well, wait and you will see it. Keep posting!

Neal Stevens
Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:21 pm

Ok, fair question, Abraham. Ostensibly, it would appear that the ranking system is based on a plain post count, and I allow some to believe that because if they knew the true method it would make their heads explode. Let me give you the bare outlines of the actual Subsim High Intensity Tallying method to determine the Captain Ranking System (CRS).

As you may have heard, I live in Texas and I work for the petrochemical (oil) business. One of the other substantial industries in the Lone Star State is the aerospace industry. Now it happened that one fine Saturday morning about eight years ago I was playing a round of golf with a couple of NASA engineers (rocket scientists) who are buddies of mine, Bob and Jack. I had just started the Radio Room forums online and apparently one of the engineers noticed my mind was elsewhere (I was two over par on the eighth hole).

"Neal," Bob asked me, "what's got you so worried this fine Saturday morning?"

I explained how Subsim Review had this new communications medium called an online forum, and how it was pretty clear to me that we would soon have over 20 users and there was no way to tell the wise old salts from the scrubs. Jack, the other engineer, chuckled and exchanged a glance with Bob. "That's easy," he said.

"Maybe for you," I replied. "You're a rocket scientist".

"No, really. We can help you out here," said. Jack. "How much of your college relational physics do you remember?"

I scratched my head.

"It can be done this way," said Bob. "All you need to do is develop some IP-based cache triggers that use floating algorithms to determine the naval and submarine material content of each user. Simply add this to the user registration process; it will be transparent to the end user. When he signs up, your server will run an antecedent probe of the user's system, establish his browsing and buying patterns. This will gauge how many historical and naval websites he visits, how many subsim games he buys from your store, when he made the last donation to Subsim.com, how often he posts in the Radio Room, stuff like that."

"Yeah," said Jack. "And the application will take this information and run it through a linear matrix, you could call it a marine matrix--" both guys snickered, some private joke or scientist humor, I guessed "--and this will give you a sound basis with which to rank the members of your forum. You can give these ranks traditional naval names and terms, such as lieutenant, petty officer, captain, etc."

"And if the matrix senses paradoxical flux from a particular user, you know, when he is talking out his a**, it will assign a temporary degradation in rank, such as a punishment or probationary rank, like a shore leave, the brig, or getting stuck in an Aussie cathouse and missing the tide."

So, Abraham, that's pretty much how it worked out. There was more to the discussion but I'll skip the technical details. Hope that helps!

Neal

JJ

"Subsim High Intensity Tallying-method"

Indeed... :rotfl:

Scion

Neal, as JJ has quite rightly pointed out. That is the biggest load of sh*t I have ever seen on these forums

Abraham
Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:09 pm

Dear NEAL,

I am both honored with and impressed by your comprehensive explanation of the S.H.I.T. method that you use. Thank you for sharing with us that special and very personal moment when this S.H.I.T. was brought to your attention on that fine Saturday morning eight years ago.
You're too modest a man; I think you really should have mentionned your S.H.I.T. method as one of the A.W.C.'s (American World Contributions) because that's exactly what it is!
All my questions have been answered and all my doubts about you as our Captain and our Leader have gone.
I'm happy to have joined a Site and a Forum where with the help of modern technology old time values such as decency, intellectuality, dedication and freedom of word and mind are actually rewarded with promotion!
I only wished the reality of life was the same.....

Yours Sincerely,

Abraham
(Machinist's Mate)

Bertgang
Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:15 pm
Strange comments from JJ and Scion, on my point of wiew.

Maybe I missed the point, but the avatar system looks funny and, even being cityziens of a "dictatorial" virtual country, we have lot of speech's freedom here.

The only bad news sounds like: No donations? No party!

Jesper
Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:21 pm
Wait a sec...
hahah
I have to stop laughing...
hahah
damnit i cant stop
heheh
Neal that is too goddarn funny

Fish
Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:12 pm

and not to forget the gaybiker.

Driftwood
Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:03 pm
PRICELESS!!!!
Captain, Sir! You have far to much time on your hands! I love it!

Abraham
No, Neal just gives serious answers to serious questions.....

At least I got a promotion immediately from Machinist's Mate to Electrician's Mate (although I've got a stupid Colgate smile now, but I'll send Neal a p.m.).

the original thread here
http://www.subsim.com/phpBB_archive1...r=asc&start=15

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 11-05-12 at 05:55 PM.
Abraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-06, 09:02 AM   #2
McBeck
Admiral

Downloads: 15

One year later and still FUNNY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonxa
:rotfl:

Damn, those guys were smart, Iv'e really got to learn rocket science. Then maybe I can be funny someday too...
Maybe it want "rocket science" but rather "pocket science" ?

"I like subcommanders...they dont have time for bull****!"

Proud member of the Subsim army of zombies
Becks website
McBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-06, 05:59 PM   #3
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 532
Uploads: 224

Ranking system updated to watch for spammers
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-06, 09:19 PM   #4
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

Hay Neal how those avatars I sent you work out? :hmm:

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-06, 08:52 AM   #5
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 532
Uploads: 224

Added some this morning, thanks
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-06, 02:56 PM   #6
Abraham
Eternal Patrol

Default NEAL, how does your ranking system work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens
Ah, the long awaited great Subsim anti-Spam offensive has begun...

"We shall go on to the end, we shall fight on the seas and the oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength on the internet, we shall defend Subsim.com, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight Spam on the SHIII forum and on the General Topic Forum, we shall fight Spam on the DW forum, we shall fight but we shall never surrender!"

"Upon this battle depends the future of Subsim.com and the long continuity of our forums.
If we can stand up to Spam, the life on internet may move forward into broad, sunlit updates.
But if we fail, the Subsim forums will sink into the abbys of darknes of a new dark age, made more sinister, and perhaps more protracted, by the lights of a perverted science.
Let us therefor brace ourselves to our duty and so bear ourselves that if Subsum.com and its forums last for a thousand years, men will still say: 'This was their finest hour'."
Old 04-09-06, 03:20 PM   #7
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Default Re: NEAL, how does your ranking system work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens
Ah, the long awaited great Subsim anti-Spam offensive has begun...

"We shall go on to the end, we shall fight on the seas and the oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength on the internet, we shall defend Subsim.com, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight Spam on the SHIII forum and on the General Topic Forum, we shall fight Spam on the DW forum, we shall fight but we shall never surrender!"

"Upon this battle depends the future of Subsim.com and the long continuity of our forums.
If we can stand up to Spam, the life on internet may move forward into broad, sunlit updates.
But if we fail, the Subsim forums will sink into the abbys of darknes of a new dark age, made more sinister, and perhaps more protracted, by the lights of a perverted science.
Let us therefor brace ourselves to our duty and so bear ourselves that if Subsum.com and its forums last for a thousand years, men will still say: 'This was their finest hour'."
"Bump!"

No...wait...no..I didn't mean it! Don't take me away....
noooooooooooo!!

Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-07, 12:55 AM   #8
geetrue
Cold War Boomer

Downloads: 5

I noticed that this sticky is pretty old, right? The explanation answer to the sticky question is even older ...

Wondering is one of my better habits ... I was just wondering if Neal could play golf with those same rocket scientist again and see if they still feel the same way about anything now as they did eight years ago.

You know what I mean when I say anything, right? Automoblies, investments, football teams, polictical parties, world news and world views.

What I am getting at is I bet they have changed their minds on some of these sibjects ... We all tend to change sooner or later ...

Now don't think I speak for myself ... in this request, because I have $10.00 budgeted to get my little old man avatar back in service for March ... here's the other shoe.

Perhaps it's time to change the avatar system to be more personal, more in line with what a member thinks of himself or herself. I'll leave it at that from past fears of rejection. It's called marketing ... we almost hit a 1,000 viewers today.

What kind of increase does that represent to consider a change?

or at least another golf game ... lol
Old 07-30-10, 05:09 PM   #9
twblackeagle
Swabbie

Default Off the subject:

I've been away for quite some time. Is there any way my previous rank might be reinstated?

Plus, looking for a SH3 friend to share stories. We are soon to depart from Bergen on mission 20 in our XXI, but don't know how to reset the GWX depth default from 260meters max to 285 meter depth.

Hoping to hear from you, and thanks for considering this off the subject incursion.

Oberleutant Z S Rolfe Hass

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLAM Strike View Post
Hay Neal how those avatars I sent you work out? :hmm:
twblackeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-12, 08:11 AM   #10
volcanostephen
Nub

Downloads: 34

Cool. So now I know how the ranking system works. I just play Silent Hunter 3,4,5 and watch the movie U-571. I dont know much about subs.
volcanostephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-12, 06:04 AM   #11
MADKALEUN
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 58
Default Ranking

Even, if I havn't been here for a while, I am told, that I have exceeded my daily allowed download amount ...? I did not download anything for months ...? Is there anybody out there, who can help me? Or would it help, if I created a new account? Greets and "Gute Jagd!"
MADKALEUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-12, 06:37 AM   #12
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADKALEUN View Post
Even, if I havn't been here for a while, I am told, that I have exceeded my daily allowed download amount ...? I did not download anything for months ...? Is there anybody out there, who can help me? Or would it help, if I created a new account? Greets and "Gute Jagd!"
Check this out:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=185237

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-12, 06:37 AM   #13
Magic1111
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 783

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADKALEUN View Post
Hi and welcome back!

Please read this THREAD!

Best regards,
Magic

EDIT: Jim was faster...!
Old 06-06-12, 03:55 AM   #14
jwells0504
Seaman

Downloads: 136

Its kinda silly to me. I mean 7 out of 10 mods i've downloaded so far are less than a single MB. With these types of small adjustment mods I woudn't think you would need to limit the number of downloads you can do a day. Maybe you could limit the mods that are massive in size, and when i mean massive, i mean 2 or more MB.
jwells0504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-12, 08:26 AM   #15
ruskibear
Nub

Downloads: 20
Default I love this place.

Although i wish that you could get unlimited downloads.
ruskibear is offline   Reply With Quote