SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-10, 11:22 AM   #46
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Downloads: 362
Uploads: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP View Post
Yep, fair enough. That was my understanding of the situation with functionality of dials etc. anyway. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a problem.

That said, like you, I'm at least fairly happy with the TDC as it is right now. If we could even just get the periscope ring wheels for making our solutions, I'd be happy... of course then we'd also need a proper rec manual.

Where is OLC when we need him ;]
Old 03-05-10, 11:55 AM   #47
LiveGoat
XO

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrgn View Post
I was about to say the same thing!

His ui is perfect IMO. Would be cool to see something similar for SH5.
Old 03-05-10, 11:57 AM   #48
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveGoat View Post
I was about to say the same thing!

His ui is perfect IMO. Would be cool to see something similar for SH5.
show me a screenie of what it looks like please.
Old 03-05-10, 12:02 PM   #49
piri_reis
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrgn View Post
He was here last week I think, pretty ambitious to play the game, looked like he took a break from the forum wars hasn't been posting since

Btw, great work DW Been using this for a few hours, nice improvement over the stock, will report any bugs or findings in the script/menu files.

Lt.z.S. Barbaros Hayreddin, U-35, 2nd Flot/Kiel, Type VIIB
Oct.29.1939, 2nd Patrol Eastern English Waters
Running SH5/TWOS
Old 03-05-10, 12:06 PM   #50
jlederer
Bosun

Downloads: 47
Default THANK YOU!

Thanks DW, this is awesome. I can get to all the functions I used to be able to use - amazing!
Old 03-05-10, 12:16 PM   #51
LiveGoat
XO

Downloads: 439

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
show me a screenie of what it looks like please.
He made it for SH3 so it's probably not doable for SH5 but maybe something similar can be done?

Old 03-05-10, 12:18 PM   #52
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Porting over the graphics is really not an issue. It's all the functions that have to be re-wired for SH5, and that takes a while/poses a few problems due to the fact that some of the functions have to be dug out of the game's scripting. I.e. it's still wild territory out there in the menu data folders.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
Old 03-05-10, 12:24 PM   #53
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

You will find alot of SH4 will work in 5.
Old 03-05-10, 02:36 PM   #54
Highbury
The Old Man

Downloads: 174

I was able to play for a few hrs last night. The first time I have been able to on SHV and this mod is a big reason why, thanks again.

The UI is still coming up in the bunker for me, and the mod seems to have brought back an old "friend"..

I don't think I saw that in vanilla SHV.. but easily removed.
Old 03-05-10, 03:33 PM   #55
rcjonessnp175
Weps

Downloads: 82

How do you remove the underwater sub position indicator in military talk the "USPI" LOL. Thanks ahead of time.

The mother ship,Coolermaster HAF, I7 intel overclock 4ghz, , 6gb mem, 5870 crossfire, soundblaster Xfi titanium , Oh and 52 inch samsung 750 120hz. 7.1 onkyo 1200 wattss system
Old 03-05-10, 03:40 PM   #56
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Ctrl+numpad . should still work.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
Old 03-05-10, 04:42 PM   #57
Lord Zimoa
Swabbie

Downloads: 27
Default From a grateful subsimmer

Please continue this great effort.

Last year I had a terrible accident, spent 6 months in hospitals and revalidation centre`s. One of the problems is my right hand and arm are still partially not functioning properly. Being right handed I have adapted and can perfectly use my left hand, so I use a left handed mouse.

Now with SH5 new arcade GUI, I constantly have to use both keyboard with my right and mouse with left and after 15 minutes it gets painful.

So an adapted UI with most functions that can be controlled a mouse click away is perfect for me.

So basically with the work you guys do here, I will be able to play the game. Keep it up

Just wanted to thank you for that.

From a grateful subsimmer.

Cheers,

Tim aka LZ
Old 03-05-10, 08:55 PM   #58
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
I would like to have the SH3 interface also BUT since the devs already coded in the scripts the use of the SH4 interface it was rather easy to implement this. Now to implement an SH3 interface could probably be done but you have A LOT of coding to do in rewriting/adding scripts. That alone would be close to a nightmare just from looking at the scripts they made to use the SH4 interface. Maybe if the devs released all the 'keywords' that they used and what the definitions of those keywords are (i.e. StartAnimation( MenuItemWrapper.AnimationTypes.Height, FinalValue, DurationInSeconds ) - give me a definition of how this function works) it would be easier.
Scripts? What scripts? For SH4 WHERE?! HOW?!!! Can you make a tutorial?!
Old 03-05-10, 09:02 PM   #59
UrPeaceKeeper
Helmsman

Downloads: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by karamazovnew View Post
Scripts? What scripts? For SH4 WHERE?! HOW?!!! Can you make a tutorial?!
SH4 doesnt use scripts that are easy to find anyway. I believe they are all pretty much hardcoded in SH4... in SH5 the scripts are in seperate files. I believe this is what Ubi meant when they said the game would be more "Mod friendly" as scripting opens the game up for a whole bunch of new stuff. Dont believe me, check out some old popular games like Half Life that use script files... that game is a mod heaven, and dare I say one of the first and best games to be modded to death.

EDIT for clarity: This mod stems from using the old SH4 user interface picture files and the new UI. When Ubisoft released this game they left the SH4 file names there and the folders Identical. what they DID do was they took all of the unused .dds (texture files, think .bmp but in a different format) and made them transparant (Transparant file backgrounds for .gif files (smilies are a good example) and .jpg files) so when the game calls up the .dds file for the UI in SH5 it shows none of the old UI but only the new UI. What I stumbled upon was the fact that all they did was make the .dds files transparant. When I copied over from SH4, the UI files into SH5 it rendered the UI (admitedly not completely) as was captured by this famous screen:

What then happened was TheDarkWraith figured out how to bring the rest of the buttons back and then streamlined the rest of the new UI. Basically it was through my revelation that TheDarkWraith was able to recreate the SH4 UI for us to use. My attempts at messing and playing in the page layout.ini files turned out to be an utter failure as with the scripting files. In the time it took me to realize one failure, TheDarkWraith was already done with the majority of the UI (infact he had ported over the entire old UI by the time I figured out the fuel/CO2/Compressed Air/Battery guage) so I gave up to search for the remainder of the files for the TDC and UZO. The TDC files are all 100% intact, it's a matter of scripting it's functions (dial movements,etc) and calling the scripting file to get the classic TDC up. Unfortunately, as TheDarkWraith is findingout, there are numerous scripting commands that are not defined (Tsk tsk Ubi devs for not defining their variables and custom functions in the script files!).

As with everything, small steps are taken through accidental discovery (as with my UI discovery).

Hopefully that clarifies what has happened with this mod

Last edited by UrPeaceKeeper; 03-05-10 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-05-10, 11:03 PM   #60
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151

Roger that, thanks for explaining.
Note that it is possible to port in the entire interface, page by page. For example, here's how the ENTIRE periscope screen of SH4 (with Kiub) looks when loaded into the Editor:

However this is a very dirty method that will result in ugly ItemID's. I'm still trying to find an easy and safe method to do this. And don't forget that most items no longer work as they did (for example we now have new torpedo buttons and we no long have the show/hide panel handles).
Closed Thread