SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-06-09, 11:58 PM   #1
Deep_Nukem
Mate

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
Default Quick help with RA mod. I wanna use nukes

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post such question, but I didn't really see any RA questions in the main DW forum.

I just wanna nuke something. What's the fastest way to accomplish this?

I am trying to read teh RA_Weapon info doc to find out, but I am not having much luck so far.

For instance, I created a mission, put an Ohio Class sub off the coast of USA. Made it side 0. (I believe Ohio has the nukes? Yes? Or at least it is one sub that should have default loadout of nukkes?)

I put a land based Building somewhere in NC. Made it side 1. Loaded up mission, targeted the building, launched Missle, and it went where it was supposed to go. (according to Info Doc only the first waypoint is used) So put the waypoint roughly at the spot of the building.....hey it's a nuke, close counts right?) ANway once it got to the spot on the map it just sort of vanished. No explosion, nothing.

I just wanna see it is all.........Please help. thank you.
Old 04-08-09, 03:04 AM   #2
Theta Sigma
Seabed Comber

Downloads: 99

IIRC, in the current version of RA, it stated the SLBMs are demos only. They are beautifully modeled, have stage separation and enter space, but the re-entry and detonation are not written or modeled.

The closest you'll get is with the other rival mod, Alfa Tau. It has fully functional SLBMs that will reach their targets and destroy all targets their warheads would cover. However, due to limitations, they don't go suborbital, and only top the cloudcover. They also don't separate, nor satisfy the player with a mushroom cloud, since that's not modeled. All surface targets simply explode within the detonation radius.

Ideally, a merge of the two routines and models would be more satisfying in one mod, but even then there's no visual payoff at impact. Just the tactical win.
Old 04-09-09, 10:05 PM   #3
Deep_Nukem
Mate

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theta Sigma View Post
IIRC, in the current version of RA, it stated the SLBMs are demos only. They are beautifully modeled, have stage separation and enter space, but the re-entry and detonation are not written or modeled.

The closest you'll get is with the other rival mod, Alfa Tau. It has fully functional SLBMs that will reach their targets and destroy all targets their warheads would cover. However, due to limitations, they don't go suborbital, and only top the cloudcover. They also don't separate, nor satisfy the player with a mushroom cloud, since that's not modeled. All surface targets simply explode within the detonation radius.

Ideally, a merge of the two routines and models would be more satisfying in one mod, but even then there's no visual payoff at impact. Just the tactical win.
SLBM's yes......but there are at least two, confirmed by me, other nuclear weapons that do function, and function well. See last post by me, to you, in the RA discussion thread. Enjoy.
Old 04-10-09, 12:37 PM   #4
Theta Sigma
Seabed Comber

Downloads: 99

Ah, you mean the Shipwreck and Depth Charge (WE-177). The latter is one I often forget about, and is actually very cool. The Shipwreck, which is also in AT (albeit non-nuclear), is not much different than the standard payload short of detonating further away from the target while still destroying it.

When you originally asked about nukes, you phrased it as if you wanted more than low yield tactical ones (so do I), so I wasn't even thing of these.