SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: Do signature sizes affect you?
Not at all 62 43.06%
Once in a while a sig is so big it's a problem 57 39.58%
Frequently a sig is so big it's a problem 3 2.08%
Constantly: big sigs have to go. Stay within the limits. 22 15.28%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-23-12, 09:03 AM   #12
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee View Post

Too big or under the limit?
@ Neal I got the postal-mailz from you. Thanks.
Hilarious, and it doesn't affect me, but at 1MB, it probably slows things down for a lot of people. Especially if 10 other people in the thread have similar gifs: 10MB+ on each page view

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterICX View Post
Yes, size does matter.

while some might go perhaps 20% over the allowed limits I'm fine with that but let's not have it going out of hand so that the forum lay out starts to get screwed or when I have to abuse my mouse scroll just to get to the next member's post.

I think the current dimensions are perfect.

as for filesize leave it 200 - 300kb top.
1 Mb Gif files are uncalled for at while they won't bother me at home on my own PC but at work on a not so state of the art pc it does bother me as big animated gif files just lag the browser and makes it a pain to navigate a thread.

HunterICX
Yeah, the vertical scroll does affect me. That's the reason for some kind of x pixels high limit, agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
I have "two shoes that don't match"...? I assume that is an English proverb. But I do not know what it means, Neal. I never used pics, only coloured text. I never got any pics working in signatures. I change colour when I changed the text, which I do often: whenever I remembered or stumbled over a new - or new old - quote that I like.

On the issue, there should be size limits. Since it is about scrolling a thread, it mostly matters regarding vertical dimension, and thus I think a sig, may it be graphic or text, should not be thicker than 3-4 lines of text. Many, if not all forums I monitor, have limits much tighter handled than over here.
Lol, no, it's no proverb. Often my announcements will include some random nonsense about one of the notable forum members. Last time it was Sailor Steve. Again, I agree with you on the verticle dimension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flostt View Post
I find it annoying if a signature occupies much more space than the actual mesage in the post.

If a single post covers half of your screen and I have to look for the message hidden somewhere above a large signature
(which might even contain animations), I tend to get so distracted that I don't really process what I'm reading.
And regarding political sigs. 99.9% are fine, but that rule is in place for someone who abuses it, with hate speech or some Rush Limbaugh quotes.

One thing I want to stress: I personally do not want to be the sig police, and I am fine with letting things slide. But I do know that if we collectively go to extremes with sigs, it will really make reading threads a pain, so there has to be some limits, somewhere. I wanted to take the pulse and see how you felt about it.

Tags
signature