SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-27-11, 08:02 PM   #11
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryffon300 View Post
I've had a reasonable hunt through the original and SS's August .cfg lists. The old list had a class designation, "KMSSHogIsland", with 160 ship names listed, including, of course, the namesake vessel, 'SS Hog Island'. On the other hand, the new SS list contains a listing for 'KMSSHogIsland' (slightly smaller at 135 names, but mostly identical, except, strangely, that it DOES NOT include the SS Hog Island for which the class was presumably named!? )
That's because there was no SS Hog Island. The ships were called that for the Hog Island shipyard, where they were built.
http://www.usmm.org/hogislanders.html

Also, 180 ships were ordered, but only 122 were built. I have 135 because some of them changed hands during the war, such as Coahoma County going to the British in 1941 and becoming Empire Hawk. In that case I list both names.

Quote:
But, the new SS cfg list ALSO includes, of course, the M10A list, (38 ships) with apparently no ship names in common with the new HogIsland class list, (Chickasaw & Chickasaw City get close, though). So, cringing slightly & wringing my hands in the best Dickensian immitation that I can muster as I say this, it would appear to my untutored eye that the two Class Lists in the new SS cfg are NOT interchangeable and shold BOTH be included in the SHIII/Data/Sea/englishnames.cfg file. ("M10A=Medium Merchant" & "Hog Islander=Hog Islander", or, alternatively, "Hog Islander=Medium Merchant"?)
No, they are not interchangeable. You have no idea of the thousands of hours I've spent on this. There are more than eleven thousand names currently, and I have looked at pictures and read the history of every single one of them. I have a working list of every class, which includes the actual tonnage of the ship and the country it belonged to, plus specific notes as to how closely it fits the model of the class I assigned it to. IABL's Merchant Fleet Mod has been a godsend to me, as I previously had so many ships assigned to a class just because it was close in tonnage, and looks had to be ignored.

I still have many that appear in the SH3C list, but in my own list I have notes that say things like "Conversion. No one knows what it looks like". I also have a huge number of ships that are assigned strictly by tonnage because I can't find a surviving photograph anywhere. And I have several that I have assigned to special categories that don't appear in-game because I'm still waiting for someone to make one.

Quote:
And just where has the SS Hog Island got to, eh? Eh? Don't tell me The Hog caught religion and became the Hoosier!
Okay, I won't.

Quote:
I see where whole lists were re-designated (in the Header for e.g. LSS=KSS
LSS is the lighted version for GWX. It made no sense to make a separate list of names for a handful of neutrals that you're not supposed to sink anyway.

Quote:
or OTMST2 becomes GenericMerchantsAndTankers),
OTMST2 is the original stock T2, which was one of only three tanker classes in the game. Then IABL did T13A, which was not only a much better model but specifically American. I thought of Tying OTMST2 to T13A, but that meant that every time you sank an OTMST2 it would get an American T2 name, but since it was a stock ship it might be assigned any country, and it would be even worse in 1939, 1940 and 1941, when you could sink one and there was not chance it could be American. So I temporarily assigned it to the Generic list just so I could guarantee it would never get an American name. And there it sits, until I come up with some European ships that actually look like it or figure out how to get rid of it altogether (which would be my preference).

Of course this will cause problems for me in the future, as my original goal was to get rid of the Generic list altogether. When SH3C was released there were 3500 names on the list. Now there are 671.

Quote:
some lists thus got wiped, others got added to or ships shuffled into or out of lists to and from existing lists, but one anomaly I don' get. The ships in the replaced KSS list seem to have vanished. I did a scan for the SS Bonifacio & SS Ciltvaria & couldn't spot them. Assume these 16 ships no longer listed?
Funny you should notice that particular list. Good job!

KSS has a listed GRT of 2325. I have a list of ten ships I took off the list because they are all in the 3500-tons range, and have them set aside with a note to myself (one of a great many) to find a new place for them. I just haven't got around to it yet. When I first started doing this everything was based on tonnage, and I've had to make a lot of changes over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve's list
I NEED TO MOVE ALL OF THESE! AND MOVE OTHERS IN!!!
Bonifacio 3566
Ciltvaira (Latvia) 3779
Danio 3536?
Empire Commerce 3751
Empire Merchant 3457
Frances Dawson 3724
Katingo Hajipatera 3661
Kilissi 3723
Riogrande (Ar) 3564?
Stalingrad (Ru) 3559?
Quote:
Similarly, the ATug list has gone AWOL (but I did not scan as carefully for them, so they may simply have been ingested by other classes).
That was a list of armed tugboats compiled by Observer for the original list. I keep meaning to double-check all the names to find out where else I can put them, and I keep not quite getting back to them.

Quote:
The NPL_KDF Class list (previously with 7 ships listed) now stands vacant of ship names. This is the only time this occurs, so seemed to be an anomoly. Delete?
That was one of a series of German ships made by AOTD-Madmax. When they were placed into GWX I had some Allied names that fit the descriptions of that one and the others. The GWX team made the decision to keep them purely German in the game, so I couldn't use them. I plan to someday go through my German lists, but it's a low priority because you're not supposed to sink them anyway.

Quote:
Historically, were there ever any names given to S-Class subs?
I don't know anything about that, as I've never touched any warships. That was Bigboywooly's area.

Quote:
Just as a note of personal interest, I now live near, and visit, the Algonquin National Park. Interesting to spot TWO ships - LTR SS Algonquin & KSSJ SS Algonquins. Would both ships have been contemporaneous, or would one have been named after the first was no longer in service/sunk?
Both are possible. There are many cases of a new ship being given the name of a recently sunk or retired ship. There are also many cases of ships of different nations having the same name, sometimes as many as four at the same time.

The first one I found on my master index is Caledonia.

SS Caledonia - small Swedish freighter - 1268 tons - S03B
MV Caledonia - Norwegian motor tanker - 9892 tons - T16B
USS Caledonia - American attack transport based on the C1 model - AK01A (I don't currently have the displacement)

[edit] Going back and rereading I realize I didn't directly address your question.

SS Algonquin - British passenger/cargo - 7229 tons - not an exact match for LTR but kinda-sorta similar. It's the closest I could get to the actual model.

SS Algonquin Park - Canadian freighter - 7130 tons - one of the 'Fort/Ocean/Park' series - Canadian built equivalents of the Liberty Ship, but with a split superstructure - M35B was made specifically for this type of ship, which encompasses several classes built in Canada and the US to British specs. The British-built 'Empire' ships are of course this model as well.

SS Algonquins - Canadian freighter - 2100 tons - I don't have a picture of this one so it is placed in KSSJ strictly based on tonnage.

Quote:
Can I come out from under the desk now?
Only if I can take your place there.

Last edited by Sailor Steve; 01-27-11 at 09:35 PM.
Sailor Steve is offline   Reply With Quote