SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-22-09, 10:27 AM   #1
DarkFish
Sea Lord

Downloads: 28
Uploads: 0
Default [REL] AI launched torpedoes

UPDATED VERSION - NOW ABLE TO HIT MOVING TARGETS

Thought I'd better make it a new thread.
As the title suggests I've solved the problem of getting AI ships to fire torpedoes. The files available for DL are only the files needed to manually install them on ships, ships won't have them without some manual tweaking.

I've made a small vid showing an AI elco PT boat attacking a stationary Japanese merchant with 3 torpedoes:

Known bugs/issues:
- Torpedoes are relatively ineffective, about 4% hit rate @4000m distance.
- the torpedoes occasionally dive (much) too deep/too shallow, sometimes recovering after a certain distance.

and before anyone's gonna ask, no, the merchant is not to the north of the elco. WaterInteraction is great, but not so great for torpedoes

DL Link: http://www.gamefront.com/files/21085853/AI_torps_rar

Installation:
- install manually or using JSGME, no files will be overwritten.
- Now for all ships you want to have torpedoes add a main armament node in its .dat file (in the .dat file - Data\Sea\Shipname\Shipname.dat, open using S3D - you'll find nodes called cfg#M01_NPT_Boat_A, cfg#M02_NPT_Boat_A etc. If the last one is for example called cfg#M04_NPT_Boat_A you must add a new one called cfg#M05_NPT_Boat_A)
- Make sure this node is placed well clear of the ship. Launching torpedoes from a node too close to the hull will lead to torpedoes scattering all over the place. Also rotate it into the direction you want torpedoes fired in as the torpedo launcher will only fire within 45 degrees to either side of this direction. I recommend an X-coordinate offset of at the very least 0,5 game units. If you see torpedoes heading for space it means the node is too close to the ship.
- now finally in the ships .eqp file add:
Quote:
[Equipment 6] ;one more than the previous
NodeName=M01 ;name of the node, if in the .dat file the node is called cfg#M05_NPT_Boat_A this should be 'M05'
LinkName=torpspawngun
StartDate=19380101
EndDate=19451231

Last edited by Webster; 12-14-11 at 06:08 PM. Reason: working link added
DarkFish is offline   Reply With Quote