Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-17-20, 10:41 AM   #1
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 0

Icon14 Dogs trained to sniff out COVID-19 score near perfect detections

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/dogs...n-human-sweat/

Dogs Trained to Sniff Out COVID-19 Score Near-Perfect in Diagnosis of Human Sweat Samples

Quote:
Does sweat from someone infected with COVID-19 have a unique scent? Researchers in Paris, and elsewhere, believe it does—and we now know dogs can sniff it out.
A new study from researchers at the national veterinary school in Alfort, outside Paris trained 8 Belgian Malinois shepherds to identify the smell of COVID-19 in the sweat of infected individuals.
The dogs’ overall success rate was near-perfect, correctly guessing an average of 95% of samples. Four dogs successfully identified a positive COVID sweat sample 100% of the time.

Many of the countries which have had the greatest success maintaining low numbers of Covid case numbers have done so with widespread use of testing. Using dogs, according to the scientists, would greatly increase the speed at which people could be tested, and they resolved to move forward with subsequent studies in case of resurgent numbers as lockdowns throughout the Northern Hemisphere end.

For centuries, the authors note, humans have used their sense of smell as a tool for medical diagnoses, and dogs have been detecting cancer in over 2,000 modern scientific studies.
Since the animal’s highly-developed sense of smell was first used to detect malignant tumors for bladder, colorectal, and other cancers in the 1980s, the idea for disease-detecting canines moved outside the field of oncology into research studies for epilepsy, diabetes, and even Parkinson’s.
For the Coronavirus study the authors collected 168 samples of armpit-perspiration from Covid-positive individuals who were not in need of significant medical supervision. They used 18 dogs that had been trained to detect explosives, colorectal cancer, and survivors during search and rescue missions.

Jars containing samples of Covid-positive perspiration were placed in a line. Funnels were inserted into the jars allowing the canines to put their noses close to the sample. Trials were done with 3, 4, 6, and 7 jars, with only one containing a positive sample.
“The results of this first proof of concept study demonstrate that COVID-19 positive people produce an axillary sweat that has a different odor, for the detection dog, than COVID-19 negative persons,” write the authors of the study.

“In a context where, in many countries worldwide, diagnostic tests are lacking in order to set up a mass detection of COVID-19 contaminant people, we think it is important to explore the possibility of introducing dog olfactive detection as a rapid, reliable and cheap “tool” to either pre-test willing people or be a fast checking option in certain circumstances.”
Never underestimate what a dog's snifferlator can do.
Old 06-17-20, 12:49 PM   #2
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

I'll buy that and the sooner this form of detection becomes common practice the better
Old 06-17-20, 01:05 PM   #3
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Uploads: 13

Well, it's already been proven with the likes of drugs and explosives so why not diseases.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-20, 01:18 PM   #4
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

They have also trained dog to sniff out Cancer.
Don't know if it's all type of cancer

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-20, 01:48 PM   #5
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
They have also trained dog to sniff out Cancer.
Don't know if it's all type of cancer

Markus
You could add Parkinsons and the early onset of dementia but as I said earlier Markus 'diseases.

Old 06-17-20, 02:06 PM   #6
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Well, it's already been proven with the likes of drugs and explosives so why not diseases.

I read somewhere that a dogs sense of smell is 20,000 times more powerful than ours. Amazing.
August is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-20, 02:08 PM   #7
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
I read somewhere that a dogs sense of smell is 20,000 times more powerful than ours. Amazing.
That’s why they sniff other dogs’ butts. They can actually tell a lot about the other dog just from that.
Old 06-17-20, 04:27 PM   #8
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

It is hard to measure how much better a dog's sense of smell than a human's. But what we do know is that dogs can possess 300,000,000 olfactory receptors while humans have about 6,000,000

The part of a dog's brain that process olfactory data is about 40 times (proportional) larger than the part of our brain that processes olfactory data.

And if that ain't enough. Dogs posses an organ that is absent in humans. It is called the Vomeronasal Organ or sometimes the Jacobson's organ. This organ is specialized to focus on pheromones. The Jacobson's organ communicates with a separate part of the dog's brain than other olfactory data.

Dogs are just walking and pooping noses... with a slobbery tongue
Old 06-17-20, 05:32 PM   #9
Col7777
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 260

In Maddie McCann Case they had Cadaver dogs in the apartment, they sniffed out death but Gerry McCann, Maddie's father said, "You can't trust dogs."

When I worked at the airport I watched the customs dogs sniff out drugs many a time.
Funny one day one of my mates had his lunch on a chair, the customs girl who trained the dog was chatting to us but her dog eat the sandwiches.
My mate did well out of it because the customs bought him a lunch and it was better that his sandwiches.

Col.

Silent and Violent
Col7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-20, 05:21 AM   #10
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

When I was in EOD I used to work, occasionally, with the explosive seeking dogs. Yikes those mutts were good!!!
We could not be physically there when the dogs were searching as they would pick up the explosive residue from our uniforms and tools. Double Yikes
Old 06-18-20, 05:25 AM   #11
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Quote:
A dog’s sense of smell is way stronger than ours.

Numbers abound about how much better a dog’s sense of smell is than ours. There are so many variables that it’s almost impossible to quantify. I’ve seen figures indicating that a dog’s sense of smell is from 10 to 100 to 1,000 to 1,000,000 times better. Scientists I’ve spoken with say that dogs can detect some, if not most, odors at concentrations of parts per trillion.
https://www.dogster.com/lifestyle/do...of-smell-facts

Old 06-18-20, 05:42 AM   #12
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Yes it is remarkable. My daughter's partner is a RCMP K-9 officer. His stories and explanations about how his dog tracks people is amazing.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-20, 12:57 PM   #13
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

I wonder if dogs can be trained to sniff out Antifa?
Old 06-19-20, 05:31 AM   #14
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

There is always one.
Old 06-19-20, 03:34 PM   #15
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
There is always one.

Yeah there's always somebody who can't take a joke.
August is online   Reply With Quote