SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-10-10, 09:47 AM   #1
Matthias
Swabbie

Downloads: 57
Uploads: 0
Default Wake island

What are the ranges for the aircraft patroling from japanese held wake island? I've figured that the zero's have a radius of 700 km but I've been engaged by g4m Bettys at 1400 km from the island. How far out will these annoying flies venture?

Another small question:
I've seem to have lost the "line of sight" (the one showing what direction the torpedo will travel and time for it to reach that destination) on the attack map, what did I do to loose it?

Cheers,
Matthias
Matthias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-10, 11:47 AM   #2
Torplexed
Let's Sink Sumptin' !

Downloads: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
What are the ranges for the aircraft patroling from japanese held wake island? I've figured that the zero's have a radius of 700 km but I've been engaged by g4m Bettys at 1400 km from the island. How far out will these annoying flies venture?
The G4M Bettys were renowned for their range. They could fly 2,300 miles (3,700 km) carrying a 1,760-pound (800 kg) torpedo. Even further with a light payload. This came at a high cost of course, no armor to speak of. Carrying over 3 tons of fuel in unprotected tanks, the G4M tended to erupt in a ball of flame after taking a few hits from Allied fighters or antiaircraft guns.

The thing that seems unrealistic to me is using Wake Island as a base for these planes. As an American outpost it never supported more than a tiny squadron of F4F Wildcat fighters and a few PBY Catalina recon flying boats in the lagoon. Given the size of the atoll (3 square miles) I doubt the airstrip could have been enlarged to accommodate the G4M bombers. Not without a great deal of effort, and Japan's construction resources were always sorely stretched.
Torplexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-10, 12:27 PM   #3
tomoose
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 23
Default Airbases

I use 500nm as a rule of thumb and place that type of circle over Tokyo, Okinawa and Iwo Jima for starters just to give me a general idea when I am within air patrol range. So far it has worked as a 'start line' for when I should pay more attention to the air threat. Having said that, the large flying boats obviously have much more range and I may get caught out one of these patrols but so far so good with the 500nm circles.
tomoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-10, 01:29 PM   #4
Matthias
Swabbie

ok, I'll try those 500 nm radius circles.

/Matthias
Old 01-10-10, 01:35 PM   #5
Col. Caldwell
Gunner

Downloads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoose View Post
I use 500nm as a rule of thumb and place that type of circle over Tokyo, Okinawa and Iwo Jima for starters just to give me a general idea when I am within air patrol range. So far it has worked as a 'start line' for when I should pay more attention to the air threat. Having said that, the large flying boats obviously have much more range and I may get caught out one of these patrols but so far so good with the 500nm circles.
Interesting tip. Thanks for sharing.

Craig Ferguson: "Shouldn't they be hunting Godzilla? A whale isn't going to destroy Tokyo; Godzilla is!"
Col. Caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-10, 01:40 PM   #6
vanjast
Sea Lord

Downloads: 806
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torplexed View Post
The G4M Bettys were renowned for their range. They could fly 2,300 miles (3,700 km) carrying a 1,760-pound (800 kg) torpedo. Even further with a light payload. This came at a high cost of course, no armor to speak of. Carrying over 3 tons of fuel in unprotected tanks, the G4M tended to erupt in a ball of flame after taking a few hits from Allied fighters or antiaircraft guns.
They were called Ronson lighters by the allies..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G4M_Betty

Incidently the Zero had a longer range, and also flamed like a Ronson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Zero

vanjast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-10, 02:42 PM   #7
Torplexed
Let's Sink Sumptin' !

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanjast View Post
They were called Ronson lighters by the allies..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G4M_Betty
Looks like the men that flew them had similar derisive names. They weren't too popular with their crews. The G4M Betty was also the bomber Admiral Yamamoto would perish in, being intercepted mid-air in 1943 during an inspection tour of the Northern Solomons. Not a lucky plane.

Interesting to note that Wake Island became something of a backwater after the December 1941 battle. Although Japan fortified the island heavily it was cut off from any further resupply by 1944 as Japan's merchant marine shrank. In the garrison 600 Japanese soldiers died from American carrier air attacks, and 1,300 from starvation. Those troops left who surrendered after the war's end had been reduced to eating birds and rats.
Old 01-10-10, 03:53 PM   #8
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

torplexed, the Japanese actually did improve the facilities on Wake Island greatly from what I have read and did operate large aircraft such as G4M's and patrol planes, had fighters as well.Remember, the Japanese took Wake Island when they were at their peak in WW II.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-10, 10:50 PM   #9
Torplexed
Let's Sink Sumptin' !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
torplexed, the Japanese actually did improve the facilities on Wake Island greatly from what I have read and did operate large aircraft such as G4M's and patrol planes, had fighters as well.Remember, the Japanese took Wake Island when they were at their peak in WW II.
Yes, they did take Wake Island at their peak--after the second attempt. However, since you have come across sources that indicate the Japanese did operate G4Ms from there then I'll concede it.
Old 01-10-10, 05:09 PM   #10
Matthias
Swabbie

That's some good info right there, thank you for the replies.

Now how about that second small question I had regarding the attack map?

//Matthias
Old 01-11-10, 06:28 AM   #11
KlassenT
Mate

Downloads: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
Now how about that second small question I had regarding the attack map?
The estimated torpedo track will only appear for the currently selected tube, and the current firing solution. Meaning, if you've got a firing solution lined up for a target 1500yds out on bearing 015, you're in prime position to put a few forward fish right into him, and if a forward tube is currently selected, you should be able to confirm that on the attack map. That said, however, there is no torpedo gyro angle that would let an aft tube carry out this attack. In the case that you've got the TDC set up for the above example, but have an aft tube currently selected, you won't see any predicted torpedo pathing on the attack map since it's an impossible shot. Similarly, you won't get this line in the event that you do not have a firing solution established (Note that the TDC completely resets on loading a savegame). And obviously, the other possible cause is that you're fresh outta torps, but hopefully that's not the issue.
KlassenT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
g4m, map, wake