SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-20-20, 10:51 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default aerial torpedoes

Anyone ever made it so aerial dropped torpedoes are visible? Wakes and the mode? Off Bougainville Nov 1 1943 SD detected air strike heading for the US landings, 6 nm, they spotted me and oh 60+ planes attacked me while I went to 200 ft lol Kates dropping torpedoes. Could hear them, but no visual once in water.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-20, 06:46 AM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 437
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Anyone ever made it so aerial dropped torpedoes are visible? Wakes and the mode? Off Bougainville Nov 1 1943 SD detected air strike heading for the US landings, 6 nm, they spotted me and oh 60+ planes attacked me while I went to 200 ft lol Kates dropping torpedoes. Could hear them, but no visual once in water.
why would you expect to see enemy torpedoes in the water?

SH4 was built around player actions not AI actions. unless an enemy torpedo closed on a player sub and activated the event camera there is no reason to think that the enemy torpedoes would be visible.

what enemy actions are visible: depth charges. and the results of gun shells. (we never see the actual projectiles). those are the only two actions that Ubi expected to happen.

think about this: Ubisoft never envisioned AI planes (or watercraft) firing torpedoes. why would they build a visual support system for something they never envisioned?

the only reason AI planes (or watercraft) actually fire torpedoes is due to the ingenuity of the user group.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-20, 09:09 AM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

Depending on how the torpedo is implemented, a "real" torpedo can be spawned with the water splash, and you can indeed "see" it. However, actually seeing it is a bit of a problem due to its speed, and the unknown depth of the camera, along with a slightly wonky sound "system" in the game that does the sound apparently by the way the camera is facing in relation to the submarine, and not as the camera would relate to the sound source. So what sounds like it must be coming from the right, might actually pass right behind you, if you are attempting to "find" it with the external camera. As for the drop, that is mod & game version dependent, and the "attack" can trigger the Event Camera (FotRSU), if it is not already too busy with other aspects of the game. This is similar to a DD launching a torpedo, or a submarine, etc in FotRSU. If there is a torpedo plane attacking a Task Force, as an example, at the same time you are, you might see an animation of the torp launch from your submarine, and an animation of the torp launch from the airplane at the ship(s), and the DD responding to the airplane and / or your submarine with a torp launch (or twenty) of its own... - The game did not expect to have DD using torps, hence their use as an AA weapon, besides also being used for ASW - and it can all be seen "on camera"...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-20, 02:14 PM   #4
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

"think about this: Ubisoft never envisioned AI planes (or watercraft) firing torpedoes. why would they build a visual support system for something they never envisioned?"

Dunno where you got that idea, try "GONE ASIATIC" :

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=4358

And if you're in the right place at the right time there are several Douglas TBD Devastators attacking Japanese ships with torpedoes. I didn't do anything special to set that up, TBDs meet IJN and automatically attack. I screwed around for a couple weeks trying to get US PT boats to attack with torpedoes, no luck with that, and fighter planes on both sides ignore each other completely, but torpedo bombers drop torpedoes and dive bombers drop bombs on enemy ships.

Dunno about vice-versa, never tried setting up any Japanese torpedo attacks.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-20, 06:40 PM   #5
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 437
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper297 View Post
"think about this: Ubisoft never envisioned AI planes (or watercraft) firing torpedoes. why would they build a visual support system for something they never envisioned?"

Dunno where you got that idea, try "GONE ASIATIC" :

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=4358

And if you're in the right place at the right time there are several Douglas TBD Devastators attacking Japanese ships with torpedoes. I didn't do anything special to set that up, TBDs meet IJN and automatically attack. I screwed around for a couple weeks trying to get US PT boats to attack with torpedoes, no luck with that, and fighter planes on both sides ignore each other completely, but torpedo bombers drop torpedoes and dive bombers drop bombs on enemy ships.

Dunno about vice-versa, never tried setting up any Japanese torpedo attacks.
do you see the torpedoes after they are launched? in the event camera...possibly......if one has that option turned on. but that would be the only time you would see an enemy torpedo.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-20, 07:40 PM   #6
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
do you see the torpedoes after they are launched? in the event camera...possibly......if one has that option turned on. but that would be the only time you would see an enemy torpedo.
To the contrary, mon ami. Using the external camera, and at least once using the periscope sub-surface, I have seen DD-launched torpedos streaking my way. Not a pleasant sight when a spread of four has you bracketed.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote