SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-15-15, 12:18 PM   #1
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Default [REL] Airplane Avoidance with Radar Tutorial video

New video available, video. This shows how to deal with swarms of airplanes without shooting back, without danger and while never leaving the nav map.

I used the Game Fixes Only Supermod, Webster's custom command bar, RSRD, TMOKeys and a bunch of skins and missions that had no effect on the video. Let me know what you think!

Link is also in the first post of Sub Skippers Bag of Tricks thread. Felix the Cat lives!!!!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-15, 08:47 AM   #2
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0

Informative video RR. I use the same tactics, only using a 6 mile radius for good measure. What folks maybe don't realize is that detecting AC in your patrol area is not always a bad thing. Frustrating as it may be, AC usually patrol shipping lanes, and sometimes scout ahead of convoys or task forces. Folks shouldn't get fed up, you're in the right place! Spend some time, and I bet you'll hit pay dirt! That's been my experience at least.
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-15, 11:43 AM   #3
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

I love it. Rational thought in dealing with the enemy.

Question:

I notice that when you go to radar depth that is actually says snorkel depth. This has come up before in other discussions. Radar depth does come up when using radar depth. There are some instances where every time it says snorkel depth however. Have you discovered why this is?

I modded the game to set snorkel depth to be decks awash down to 27 feet. At that depth the diesels stay on but my maximum speed is only 9 knots.

Do you know why your radar depth says snorkel and do you know why decks awash might only get 9 knots max on diesel. Is the speed tied to a physical drag force from being under more than out of the water?

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-15, 02:35 PM   #4
ColonelSandersLite
Captain

Downloads: 71
Uploads: 3

Snorkel depth is for the Uboats, but snorkels don't actually work there in sh4. So a lot of people and mods modify the depth to be radar depth. Even if the button label and sound file hasn't changed, I'm sure that's what it is.

And yes, as you submerge, there is more drag, and so you go slower. It's probably not quite right imho, but it's probably good enough for a pc game.
Old 08-16-15, 04:33 PM   #5
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Snorkel depth is what is used to achieve Decks Awash on the American side. You manually adjust the depth to create decks awash and assign a letter to the snorkel so when you wish to go to decks awash you just push the key that would be snorkel depth.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 08-16-15, 06:13 PM   #6
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Very nice

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-15, 07:25 PM   #7
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

It's customized in TMO to radar depth on the semi-colon key. With Webster's GFO it's called snorkel depth but since I'm using TMOKeys it takes me to radar depth and GFO calls it snorkel depth. Actually this is a user modifiable depth, able to be set for whatever you want. Set it for 30' and use it for decks awash if you want. I just find radar depth to be the most used function because it's nearly as invisible as periscope depth. I just order decks awash manually.

And Fish, I was being swarmed in part because they DID spot me at six miles, a rare thing in the game and called all their buddies to help me with the video. I'm sure that's not how they explained it though.....

Another interesting observation that puts the lie to many, many claims about "too many airplanes." Did you notice that not all the airplanes passed overhead and that a fair proportion passed far enough away that I didn't have to leave the surface? Most complaints I have seen stated that all planes headed straight for the sub. That's nowhere close to the truth. There are lots of planes. They are harmless to you but they tell you something about the enemy. Some of them come from aircraft carriers! At the end of the video they led me to a merchant.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 08-16-15 at 07:31 PM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-15, 03:23 PM   #8
ColonelSandersLite
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
And Fish, I was being swarmed in part because they DID spot me at six miles, a rare thing in the game and called all their buddies to help me with the video. I'm sure that's not how they explained it though.....
There's something I've noticed over the years. This is purely anecdotal, I have no actual evidence to back it up, it probably also varies by mod. Anyways, it seems to me that the bigger multi engine multi crew aircraft can spot you from much further away than the single engine aircraft with just one or two people. I also notice that in tmo they show up on your air search radar much further away as well. Stronger return due to larger size probably.

Re audio quality:
Saw your test video and noticed that the audio quality there was way, way, way better, so I know you can do better than you did here .
Old 08-17-15, 04:07 PM   #9
Crannogman
Watch Officer

Downloads: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelSandersLite View Post
There's something I've noticed over the years. This is purely anecdotal, I have no actual evidence to back it up, it probably also varies by mod. Anyways, it seems to me that the bigger multi engine multi crew aircraft can spot you from much further away than the single engine aircraft with just one or two people. I also notice that in tmo they show up on your air search radar much further away as well. Stronger return due to larger size probably.

Re audio quality:
Saw your test video and noticed that the audio quality there was way, way, way better, so I know you can do better than you did here .
Clicking the map contact usually brings up that contact's detection radius - you can see it a couple times in the video. Zeroes tend to have a visual arc about 270 degrees wide; the Betties and Mavises have a 360-degree arc that is substantially larger. Often the larger planes are less than a minute from being within that range when I spot them on radar
Old 08-17-15, 06:50 PM   #10
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Crannogman some mods remove the detection ring around ships and aircraft.

With the mods I run there are no detection rings around vessels. They did not have that luxury in real life. I can still paint a ring around my own boat so anything 6 miles out puts me at periscope depth but some do not play with detection rings on the enemy.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 08-17-15, 08:50 PM   #11
ColonelSandersLite
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc4ulfate View Post
Crannogman some mods remove the detection ring around ships and aircraft.
This. Additionally, those of us who play with map contacts off don't get detection rings, regardless of mods.
Old 08-17-15, 09:02 PM   #12
Crannogman
Watch Officer

Downloads: 24

Hey man, just trying to provide the evidence to support his instinct. And, as I said, is is visible in RR's video