SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-20-13, 08:45 PM   #1
Slayer_42
Watch

Downloads: 28
Uploads: 0
Default U-Boat attacks - effect on New Zealand

Hey there.
I have a 3500 word essay to produce on a historical topic. Very sorry to bring schooling into this place of worship where we all prefer to boast about the last ship we sunk but i was wondering if anybody has any information at all relating to the effect that U-boat attacks on convoys had on New Zealand. I'm not necessarily talking about the sinking of individual ships but more towards the hardships endured from a lack of ability to freight cargo to and from other countries. I understand that this may not have been much of a concern for NZ and that the "U-Boat peril" may not have actually been too much of a threat to New Zealand but i thought i'd so what i could dig up cheers in advance

Slayer

Hull damaged
Radio destroyed
Sonar destroyed
Rudder damaged
Diesel engines damaged
Slayer_42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-13, 09:15 PM   #2
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

What level of school are you at? College?

I always recommend Wikipedia and the local library's history section.
Old 05-20-13, 11:51 PM   #3
Slayer_42
Watch

Downloads: 28

I'm Currently in what us New Zealanders call year 13 which converts to the 8th Grade in America. I have indeed looked at both of those resources but thought it would be worth trying to gain some unique knowledge that alot of us here at Subsim seem to have. It's a difficuilt topic as New Zealand's issues lay mainly in the ground Forces we sent to Japan.

Hull damaged
Radio destroyed
Sonar destroyed
Rudder damaged
Diesel engines damaged
Slayer_42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-13, 01:04 AM   #4
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer_42 View Post
I'm Currently in what us New Zealanders call year 13 which converts to the 8th Grade in America. I have indeed looked at both of those resources but thought it would be worth trying to gain some unique knowledge that alot of us here at Subsim seem to have. It's a difficuilt topic as New Zealand's issues lay mainly in the ground Forces we sent to Japan.
I see...

The one thing that is confusing me is that you are asking about U-boat attacks. Do you mean Japanese Submarines or the actual German U-boats? I'd be happy to help. I've written my fair share of essays. I was in 8th grade not too long ago. 3500 words seems a bit long for an 8th grade assignment...but hey. If you pick a topic you are interested in you can go on forever.

Next year's writing contest...I'm debating whether or not to do a flying story or a naval story. I've written war fiction every year and I've actually won in the past 2 out of the ~6 that I've done this.
Old 05-21-13, 01:13 AM   #5
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

There was one Monsun Gruppe boat that got close to New Zealand, I think
Old 05-21-13, 01:31 PM   #6
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer_42 View Post
Hey there.
I have a 3500 word essay to produce on a historical topic. Very sorry to bring schooling into this place of worship where we all prefer to boast about the last ship we sunk but i was wondering if anybody has any information at all relating to the effect that U-boat attacks on convoys had on New Zealand. I'm not necessarily talking about the sinking of individual ships but more towards the hardships endured from a lack of ability to freight cargo to and from other countries. I understand that this may not have been much of a concern for NZ and that the "U-Boat peril" may not have actually been too much of a threat to New Zealand but i thought i'd so what i could dig up cheers in advance

Slayer
Here's a starter and there are links to further reference matter near the bottom.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote