SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-22-10, 09:39 AM   #1
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Default Another Sub That Won't Stop Diving

I've searched everywhere, and though I've found threads with similar titles it was always a crash-dive issue. Not for me.

It's probably some mod conflict or other, but I can't figure it out. Last night on my new patrol I decided to run a test dive. I went to periscope depth, and then decided to take her down to 70 meters. But it didn't stop there. Kept on diving. At 150 meters I ordered periscope depth, but she kept on diving. At 170 meters I ordered surface. At 200 meters I ordered an emergency blow. She slowly started to come up, and I mean very slowly. At about 150 meters she stopped rising. The bow is up in a full surface angle, but even repeated blows won't make the boat climb another inch.

I know better than to save while submerged, but the only alternative in this case is to lose the boat anyway, so I'm lost either way.

Any ideas?
Old 07-22-10, 10:55 AM   #2
Alpha Von Burg
Engineer

Downloads: 86
Uploads: 0
Well I could say one thing for sure that you wouldn't be the first or last to have post a thread like this...

One possible reason for this is that your crew was low in fatigue and therefore would not be able to respond in time. Another is the speed at which your boat was going at, though seeing as you didn't assume a crash-dive order this should not be the case. Another would be the depth, this has happened some times to me and to many others, in where they would reach a certain depth and would not be able to even blow-balist.

Or Davy Jones decides to send the Kraken to pull you to the depths (or the locker).

Take in mind that these are all just suggestions and possible veriables to what might have happened. Though you could give more details prier to the incident. Such as what mods were enabled at the time, which off course, would evidently lead to a conclusion that a mod was conflicting with another mod, but this was rarely the case for this type of problem.

By the way, I might not realise what I have wrote so there could be more than just grammatical mistakes.

"Remember, memory is the key..."

Last edited by Alpha Von Burg; 07-22-10 at 11:00 AM. Reason: grammatical and spelling errors
Alpha Von Burg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 12:39 AM   #3
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Von Burg View Post
Well I could say one thing for sure that you wouldn't be the first or last to have post a thread like this...
Oh, I know, I know. I searched high and low for an answer, and couldn't find one when I needed it.

Quote:
One possible reason for this is that your crew was low in fatigue and therefore would not be able to respond in time.
Brand-new career. I had just reached my patrol grid and decided on a test dive. The rest is in my first post.

Quote:
Another is the speed at which your boat was going at, though seeing as you didn't assume a crash-dive order this should not be the case.
Was at 1/3 speed, whatever that is in German. It's never happened that way before. Went to flank in the surface attempt.

Quote:
Another would be the depth, this has happened some times to me and to many others, in where they would reach a certain depth and would not be able to even blow-balist.
I started trying to recover as soon as I realized I wasn't stopping at 70 meters.

Quote:
Or Davy Jones decides to send the Kraken to pull you to the depths (or the locker).
That one works for me.

Quote:
Take in mind that these are all just suggestions and possible veriables to what might have happened. Though you could give more details prier to the incident. Such as what mods were enabled at the time, which off course, would evidently lead to a conclusion that a mod was conflicting with another mod, but this was rarely the case for this type of problem.
I don't see what conflict could cause that either, but I can't think what else it could be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremmen
Sabotage ?
Possible, but I don't think so. I don't have Sabotage on yet, as I'm still based out of Wilhelmshaven (in fact it's still August '39), but I always have Malfunctions turned on. However, when I run a test single mission it's doing it there too.

Sequel: When I reloaded the game I was still at 112 meters, and still angled upward. I tried blowing ballast again, and it took me to the surface just like it's supposed to. So I ordered Periscope Depth and it went down like a rock. At about 200 meters I pulled the plug (shut the computer off manually) so I wouldn't lose the career. Reloaded the game and blew ballast to surface again, and this time saved on the surface.

I'll be running some more tests, pulling mods out to see what happens, and I'll keep you all posted. I may lose the career, but that seems to be happening a lot lately, and always on the very first patrol.
Old 07-23-10, 01:35 AM   #4
ryanglavin
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 35

Sorry to hear this Steve.

You want Jim to make you a custom Headstone like he did me? He gives killer deals around the time Courageous went down and extreme end of 1942. I got mine for a rock bottom price! (pun intended)
Old 07-23-10, 02:06 AM   #5
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanglavin View Post

You want Jim to make you a custom Headstone like he did me? He gives killer deals around the time Courageous went down and extreme end of 1942. I got mine for a rock bottom price! (pun intended)
I belong to that Headstone Of the Month club, so I get my own.

Old 07-23-10, 05:31 AM   #6
Kremmen
Torpedoman

Downloads: 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I belong to that Headstone Of the Month club, so I get my own.

Love that headstone
Hope you track down the cause of the diving problem soon.

Kremmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 11:32 AM   #7
Seminole
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanglavin View Post

Old 07-22-10, 12:59 PM   #8
Sgt_Raa
Ensign

Downloads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
It's probably some mod conflict or other
i changed my max dive value and dived to 300ft (no hull damage trainer) and it seemed to get stuck there.... wouldnt go up down or move..... id go with a mod conflict as well
i turned the trainer off and still no change... i was only playing thus using said trainer..... i only use em to play around.... like seeing how far inland i can get my sub by running aground lol.

Sgt_Raa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-10, 03:10 PM   #9
krashkart
Navy Seal

Downloads: 100

I know I'll be jinxing myself by saying this, but I've only had it happen once. No crash dive, just a simple test dive to see how far I could go before it got too scary. Somewhere below 200 meters I couldn't pull out of the dive at all, even after blowing ballast and issuing flank speed. Nose was up angle like Sailor Steve's and still the boat kept sinking.

'Tis a mystery to me. I've tried to re-create the dive time and again but have been able to surface even after sustaining hull damage below the 210 mark.
Old 07-22-10, 06:02 PM   #10
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

I seem to recall that years ago there was a problem with dives while using the SH3 Weather mod. I can't remember exactly what it was though.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-10, 06:29 PM   #11
Kremmen
Torpedoman

Downloads: 138

Sabotage ?

Kremmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-10, 08:27 PM   #12
Seminole
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremmen View Post
Sabotage ?

Good point...do you have sabotage ticked in SH3Commander?

I would never have thought of that since I never used the option..I already have troubles enough...