SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-03-17, 02:43 PM   #1
CoRb
Swabbie

Downloads: 79
Uploads: 0
Default Real Navigation ship's log device.

Greetings.
Can anybody help me answer my question?
There is a section "Real Nav Auto Fix Patrol" in the Automated Script mod. The script place a Dead Reckoning mark on the map. As I understand it, mark placed from the current position of the submarine. Is it possible to take marks
from the compass course only, like a real ship's log device? As I read about the log device, Navigator doesn't consider drift when plotting Dead reckoning before taking currents and drifts corrections.
It's allow players taking wind corrections by themselves( for more immersion)
So, does somebody know how to attach marks displaying with the compass route only?
We have 3 variables in the equation(passed distance, changed course and time).
Sorry for my English, It's not my native language. I hope you understood what I meant. Maybe this link can explain more(4 paragraph it's about Dead Reckoning Navigation):
http://uboat.net/articles/61.html
CoRb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-17, 03:00 PM   #2
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

I'm not sure will my answer help you in any way but I indeed have noticed that your sub will actually drift few degrees due to sea state or wind (or maybe even hard coded bug with somewhat "realistic" outcome), especially if you travel in a strait line for a long time...

This means that there is indeed one more extra variable in the equation but I can not tell for sure what is it for sure...

Check this screenshot I made a year ago or so...

EDIT:
Of course, I was talking about SH5 with latest TWoS v1.6.08 on board. Not for Stock SH5 with only few mods in it...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-17, 03:32 PM   #3
CoRb
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
I'm not sure will my answer help you in any way but I indeed have noticed that your sub will actually drift few degrees due to sea state or wind (or maybe even hard coded bug with somewhat "realistic" outcome), especially if you travel in a strait line for a long time...

This means that there is indeed one more extra variable in the equation but I can not tell for sure what is it for sure...

Check this screenshot I made a year ago or so...

EDIT:
Of course, I was talking about SH5 with latest TWoS v1.6.08 on board. Not for Stock SH5 with only few mods in it...
On this screenshot I set up the wind speed 0 m/s for the top route and 13 m/s for the second one.

When Navigator plotting Dead reckoning route, even the 2nd line will be like a straight line on his map, like this:

If we had device, which counts our traveled distance and every changed course, we could plot Dead Reckoning like a real Navigator.
Because TheDarkWraith's Dead Reckoning takes our current position like GPS(if set DR without error in the patcher)

Last edited by CoRb; 03-03-17 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-03-17, 03:54 PM   #4
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

You do know that navigator's "skill" (error percentage) can be edited via Options File Editor/Viewer ?

You also have possibility to do full hardcore real navigation with Sextant and your own DR if you disable "show navigator's marks on map" (or something like that) option, again with OFEV...

P.S.
Is that some kind of "Unofficial" Russian translation for TWoS?
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-17, 04:39 PM   #5
CoRb
Swabbie

When we set the error percentage in Options File Editor/Viewer It's making error's work incorrect( when we following constant course, for example 185 deg, our marks will be not on the one line along route). Because the submarine location calculates not from compass measurings, but from current x and y coordinates from the map.
I'm trying to explain how works Dead Reckoning in real life and I placed the link for informing in the 1st message.

If I could to memorize all my submarine turns and my traveled distance(it is navigator's duties), then I didn't ask for help. But we are at war and I have no time for memorize all course changing.
All what I want to say, that after run from destroyer I want to know which route I traveled for doing Celestial Fix with Sextant on my own.

P.S. There is a translation from the official localizator from Buka, with some corrections.

Last edited by CoRb; 03-03-17 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-03-17, 08:10 PM   #6
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

CoRb!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote