SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-25-10, 07:54 AM   #1
mefaba
Seaman

Downloads: 148
Uploads: 0
Default Which GUI for a beginner in manual targeting?

My Dearest Kaleuns,

After dozens of patrols and a huge amount of tonnage I finally got bored of sitting idle during my attacks while my weapons officer did all the work in a miraculously short time. All I had to do was to set the torpedo depth, detonation, speed and then push the little red button and enjoy the fireworks.

So, I want to get into manual targeting. The thing is, even though I watched many well prepared tutorial videos and reading clearly written manuals, I still can't get everything right during the training missions. (I'm terribly clumsy with all those maths stuff, I admit.)

Now, I think that GUIs make the manual targeting easier than unmodded user interface.(or that's what I understood from what people said about them) I downloaded a few GUIs. OLC Gold, hsGUI 3.1 and Manos GUI 3. Haven't tried any of them.

Which GUI do you suggest me to use? I prefer a GUI that doesn't cause problems with other mods and has a good tutorial.

Or should I go without a GUI?

Looking forward to your replies.

Vielen Dank im voraus!

Fatih

Last edited by mefaba; 05-25-10 at 08:09 AM.
mefaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-10, 08:37 AM   #2
sharkbit
The Old Man

Downloads: 334

Welcome aboard!

There are many very good GUI's out there but I might recommend using stock until you get all the concepts of manual targeting down before trying different GUI's.

OLC's GUI's are good as well as the others that use a version of it (ACM/ACM Reloaded, Manos). The in scope wiz wheel helps figuring range, AOB, and speed a lot easier although there are other ways to find out that info as well.

I am currently using Hitman's GUI 1.0 which is very good and does away with the in-scope wiz wheel. Alot of the information is figured out by visual cues and, surprisingly, I am getting better at figuring things out by eye.

However, all of the above is useless if you don't understand some of the principles and concepts of manual targeting.

The best thing to do when choosing among all of the very good GUI's is to try them all out and see what you like and dislike about them and choose the best fit for your style and experience.
I've found that they all have things I like about them and things I don't like. One GUI will always have something you wish was in another GUI.

“Prejudice is blind. There will always be someone who says you aren’t welcome at the table. Stop apologizing for who you are and using all your energy trying to change their minds. Yes, you will lose friends, maybe even family. But you will gain your self-respect. You will know your worth. Once you have that, nothing can stop you.”
sharkbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-10, 08:46 AM   #3
maillemaker
Sea Lord

Downloads: 75

No GUI is required.

I use the Fixed Wire method that I have learned here. Search for it - it's very easy, historical, and makes range to target unnecessary.

Steve
maillemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-10, 11:40 AM   #4
Dissaray
中国水兵

Downloads: 35

I like the OLC style GUI, I use Manos' variation personaly. I tried Hitman's but found it to be too much work for me, it looks good and functions exactly as advertised though; I might give it another go at some point.

Figuring out the principals behind the targeting is a good idea but if you understand basic trigonomatry and the concept of leading your target you know all that you will need for manual targeting.
Dissaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-10, 08:35 PM   #5
dfscott
Bosun

Downloads: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissaray View Post
I like the OLC style GUI, I use Manos' variation personaly. I tried Hitman's but found it to be too much work for me, it looks good and functions exactly as advertised though; I might give it another go at some point.

Figuring out the principals behind the targeting is a good idea but if you understand basic trigonomatry and the concept of leading your target you know all that you will need for manual targeting.
I'm with Dissaray - while Hitman's is excellent, it's a little *too* realistic for me, so I'm using Magui 3. I especially like the nice 15X magnification on the attack scope which is really nice to make out those flags from a distance.

dfscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-10, 09:55 PM   #6
ppk
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 21

Personally I learned with OLC's. The hardest thing for me wasn't actually the targeting bit, but getting used to playing without map contact updates. I didn't use the WO for solutions, instead I worked them out with the map and the drawing tools. This gui is great for that because it forces you to stop using them (they're unavailable for some reason).

The range and aob finder in olc's attack scope is excellent although it's not the most accurate at longer ranges (3000m is about as far as you can expect it to be useful) so there is a good bit of guessing and eye-balling involved as well... But then again I don't expect real-life kaleuns had much precision at long range either.

U-46 (VIIB) - 62 ships for 395,532 tons in Apr40 [DiD]
ppk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-10, 10:41 PM   #7
Brer Rabbit
Briar Patch Runner

Downloads: 89

As has been mentioned many times, the choice of which GUI to use is a personal choice. By that I mean that many seem to drift to the GUI that best suits their style of play. I am currently using Magui. I think taht if offers a little more hand holding that the other GUIs, which is OK by me for now. OLC's is great, and I will eventually return to it, but I had a hard time working without the Map updates. My goal is to eventually work up to Hitman's which as has been mentioned is probly the most realistic.

I like to keep the game play realistic, which I determing by how many ships I sink. When I start sinking more on a regular basis than what was historically realistic. I increase my difficulty level by moving to a GUI that requires more historical input.

I want to return to OLC, but haver not yet hit the level that I am sinking too many. Sorry if this is meandering around the subject, but I hope I have given you a little insight.

Brer Rabbit
Brer Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-10, 11:55 PM   #8
pickinthebanjo
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 282

I use OLC as well. It clashed with FM new interiors for me though (Lost abilitly to zoom periscopes) But then I downloaded Longer repair time mod and the fix in there for olc fixed the zoom. Now i'm happy with it
pickinthebanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 02:03 AM   #9
mefaba
Seaman

Thank you everyone for your replies and valuable suggestions.

I installed MaGui 3. Because most people who wrote here use that one. I learned that it is a reworked version of OLC GUI. Looked better to me. It doesn't seem to clash with any other mod except Open Hatch Mod.

Now, in the realism settings, I only leave stabilized view, weapon officer assistance and no map updates unchecked. Is that correct? (In my earlier games manual targeting was also unchecked and I was playing at 78% realism. Not a huge change in realism percentage. Only 11%.)
Old 05-26-10, 03:07 AM   #10
Dissaray
中国水兵

Downloads: 35

For learning manual targeting leaving the map updates on his helpful and stabalized view is realistic to have on; the parascopes had a stabalizer biult into them that was suposed to be fairly good, or so I am told. Beond this it is realy personal preferance and what you level of ability alows for. When I was learning manual targeting I used the WO assitance to check my work then stoped using him in that capasity when I was geting it right more often than not, now he IDs targets when I don't have time to do it.
Dissaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 08:27 AM   #11
dfscott
Bosun

Downloads: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissaray View Post
When I was learning manual targeting I used the WO assitance to check my work then stoped using him in that capasity when I was geting it right more often than not, now he IDs targets when I don't have time to do it.
That's a great idea. I'm running at around 90% now (only using event camera and map contacts) and have been thinking of turning map contacts off since it's getting a bit too easy, but I hate setting up for an hour just to miss by a mile.

dfscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 02:52 PM   #12
comet61
Sparky

Downloads: 240
Default Mods

I use Magui v3.2.1 (OLC related) exclusively. I haven't used map contacts in a long while. The AoB finder and range tools work great if used correctly. I usually shoot from the hip if my target is 600m or less. The one aspect of using manual targeting in a fairly high realism setting is having to turn off the "stable views" in the periscopes. This makes using the tools on the surface extremely challenging if not impossible to use at all. Try looking through the attack scope in 4ms winds or more at 15x...with the "stable view" turned off. I only reserve surface attacks at night or very harsh weather and usually calculate firing solution by sight rather than tools. I am 75% successful with that attack method. The Magui mod is great for submerged attacks and getting set up for the torpedo solution. I would like to point out that I still leave the "Target ID" on via Weapons officer.

I tried OLC awhile back and liked it also. I cannot speak for the other mods however. Have fun!!
comet61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-10, 02:56 AM   #13
java`s revenge
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 97

I can`t play without the Magui v.3.2.1. It`s a nice piece of tool to
calculate.
Old 05-27-10, 06:43 AM   #14
mefaba
Seaman

Again, thanks to all fellow kaleuns for their advices.

Does anybody know where to find a tutorial or a manual for Magui 3? I don't know how to use that scope wheel.

Thanks in advance

Fatih
Old 05-27-10, 07:45 AM   #15
sharkbit
The Old Man

Downloads: 334

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefaba View Post
Again, thanks to all fellow kaleuns for their advices.

Does anybody know where to find a tutorial or a manual for Magui 3? I don't know how to use that scope wheel.

Thanks in advance

Fatih
IIRC it should be in the read me or documentation folder of the mod. If not, maybe in the thread about the GUI.

“Prejudice is blind. There will always be someone who says you aren’t welcome at the table. Stop apologizing for who you are and using all your energy trying to change their minds. Yes, you will lose friends, maybe even family. But you will gain your self-respect. You will know your worth. Once you have that, nothing can stop you.”
sharkbit is offline   Reply With Quote