View Single Post
Old 04-10-08, 11:31 AM   #518
skwasjer
The Old Man

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepIron
Crap! I thought your Collada export was working really well too! I've been exporting models, checking for inconsistencies and such and you've really done an incredible job. Not to mention the Collada .xml output is fantastic for post-processing and conformity checking... So...
You're right on that part. Collada is a good format and it basically supports all that I need, but the support by other programs/plugins has still not matured enough. While the S3D export seems to work fine (and can be imported by most other programs), even Max fails to read in the materials properly (and thus loses connection to the map channels). Also, if I manually correct it, the model that I get back after an export from other programs is missing the data I need, and again it's the uv-channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepIron
How about .fbx? AutoDesk has a freely available SDK that I "think" might solve your multiple UV issue and others. It incorporates support for Collada 1.4, .obj and .3ds formats as well...

At the bottom of the page:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...112&id=8224926

They have very good SDK docs as well.

A couple of years ago I downloaded the SDK for a project that I was involved with and it looks good. Unfortunately, the project got scrapped (as they often do it seems) and I dropped my programming part of it.
I've looked into FBX a while ago (back in sept/okt) I guess, and decided not to use it although I can't remember exactly why anymore. But likely also problems with uv's. I know for a fact (by experience longer back) it's a good format, but I didn't just drop if for no reason. Maybe I'll have to revisit it...

Ah well... I probably am going for a quick-n-dirty approach first now just to get import done soon (using .obj or something). I'll then satisfy everyone's need to at least be able to import models, be it tedious to do and maybe without multi uv-support first. At least then I have some rest to try other formats.
skwasjer is offline   Reply With Quote