PDA

View Full Version : My opinions on GW and NYGTW

JayW.
07-23-06, 11:29 AM
Both are good but I discovered something fundamental wrong with both mods.

Grey Wolves is too expansive with the graphics that even the PCs with top notch graphic cards can't run SH3 without slight lag after it initializing a mission or a career mission. I have a new Dell XPS 400 with a state-of-art graphic card.
On my old 2002 Gateway PC, the graphic card was burned out literally after playing SH3 with Grey Wolves.
On the other side of the spectrum, it is the NYGTW mod which runs perfectly. Its problem is too little harbor traffic and non-existant air traffic in ports.

I propose that modders create a supermod which is a sort of hybrid of the two mods, a supermod that isn't an overly excess of graphics and keeping the NYGTW games system but adding some of the cosmetic appealing asspects of GW. I'm serious here, guys. Work with each other. There is not any reason that the NYGTW team and The GW team can figure something out.

Meanhile, I am strongly considering going back to The Real U-Boat 1.45 mod.

JayW.

Sulikate
07-23-06, 11:46 AM
Well, my pc isn't THAT top notch, and I play GW without major slowdowns:

Athlon 64 3000+
1.5GB RAM DDR
GeForce 6600 256MB

A hybrid mod wouldn't appeal to me, but some may like it.

mr chris
07-23-06, 11:55 AM
Mycomputer is:
3.00GHz processor
2.00GB ram
128 graphics card
256 sound card

I play with stock game with 1.4 patch and GW, I have had to stop playing because the frame rate jumps between 120 and 20 in all stations causeing the game to be very choppy. have tryed everything possble to fix it but can't seem to do it.
any sergustions?

Wulfmann
07-23-06, 12:00 PM
I have no problem running GW so must assume what Dell calls state of the art I call obsolete.
What card is in the Dell?
Also, RAM plays a big role in SH3 and in GW I suggest 2 GB DDR RAM for the harbors to run good.
Another thing to remember is what else you have running on your PC. I kept my old PC for email, photos, music files etc and run my 64 bit for my newer games so very little other crap that slows down games is running on it.
I am not trying to trash your system but I often hear people say they have it all goin on to find they are not running much.
A 256 VC does not mean much if the core is at 250 or the interface memory is 128 and it has 4 pipes. Another 256MB VC can have 16 pipes 600 core with 256MB interface memory and guess what, it runs much better. There is a difference in what is marketed as "State of the Art" and what really is.

That siad there are things you can do to help this. Open the SCR in mission editor (first make a back up copy). If you are like me you only use a few harbors to work from. You can look at those areas and either eliminate things or just move them somewhere away from your harbor to reduce the items slowing down the game.
You can redirect the bombers or reduce their numbers which will help a lot as their effects are taxing. Save it and try it out. With a back up ready to save you from any mistake you can tweak your harbors to suit your system.
I have my GW heavily modded as I like 90 percent but find many things lacking. That is my opinion and I have modded to suit that and not asked them to make everyone elses GW the way I think it should be.

Wulfmann

Godalmighty83
07-23-06, 12:05 PM
my rig- 3.2ghz
2gig ram
x700 256 card.

stormy weather kills my machine if i use GW. seriously in fine weather i get about 50fps on bridge view, middle of a large storm closer to 7 or 8.

mr chris
07-23-06, 12:05 PM
Wulfmann i have alot of music on my computer do you think that this is the reason that my game is running so slowly? If so is the any way in which i could move my music to another part of the computer so it does not affect the game?

Gizzmoe
07-23-06, 12:08 PM
128 graphics card

What´s the exact type? You can find out by running dxdiag (Start/Run, dxdiag), look for the name in the "Anzeige" tab.

mr chris
07-23-06, 12:12 PM
RADEON X300SE 128MB HYPER MEMORY

zzsteven
07-23-06, 12:17 PM
128 graphics card

What´s the exact type? You can find out by running dxdiag (Start/Run, dxdiag), look for the name in the "Anzeige" tab.

Also known as the "Display" tab. :-j

zz

JayW.
07-23-06, 12:24 PM
I have a Dell XPS-400.
Dell XPS DXP051
Intell (R)
Pentium (R) D CPU 2.080 GHz
2.79 GHZ. 1.00 GB of RAM
Physical Address Extension.

The showdown happens when I go up to the bridge for the first time. As I turn around it jumps a lot but on the 2nd rotation, it works fine.

JayW.

mr chris
07-23-06, 12:28 PM
My computer is also a dell. It's a dimension 9151
my frame rate is always jumping between 20 and 120 in harbour and out at sea its just too jumpy to play.

JayW.
07-23-06, 12:47 PM
But after the initital look-around on the bridge, the frame rate was perfect

Jay W.

mr chris
07-23-06, 12:51 PM
I think i might have to upgrade my graphics card or find a way of moving my music. It is such a pain not being able to play as i have a months holiday from work, so i can crack on thought the patrols.:damn:

Gizzmoe
07-23-06, 12:57 PM
I think i might have to upgrade my graphics card

You should do that, the X300SE is a very slow card.

or find a way of moving my music.
What music? The gramophone music for SH3?

mr chris
07-23-06, 01:00 PM
Gizmoe, My music is my song itunes i have nearly 2000 songs on there about 5Gb.
if i was to update my graphics card which one do you recomend? And how much would it cost?

Gizzmoe
07-23-06, 01:02 PM
Gizmoe, My music is my song itunes i have nearly 2000 songs on there about 5Gb.

That doesn´t influence your system as long as you don´t play the music while playing SH3.

if i was to update my graphics card which one do you recomend? And how much would it cost?

How much do you want to spend?

Wulfmann
07-23-06, 01:03 PM
No, MC, the music is not running at the time the game is. Anti-Virus, and other programs that run in the background are big game killers. Many programs are added running by MS and by spyware that you may not even know about.
However, if the HD is full another HD to put most stored things is a good idea allowing the C-Drive to have the programs alone to run.
Defragging may also help

The x300 VC, is weak, no offense and not even close to state of the art. Being it is an X300 that means it is PCIex???? or AGP. (I never look at x300 specs but only find PCIexp so assume))
I would seriously upgrade the VC. Because of the flood of new cards the prices have dropped a great deal on VCs. You can get an X800 PCIex for around $100.00 USD which is half what they were a year ago.
Saying you have 2GB of RAM is not enough. What type of RAM is it (DDR PC3200, PC2700, PC 2100 or PC133 or PC100)
The X300 is 128MB memory with 64MB of interface memory, 325 core speed and 400 corclock with 4 pixel pipelines. Basically that is your bottleneck. You need a better card to run SH3 even at stock to run it right, IMO

Here is a basic X800 GTO at Newegg for $89.00 plus shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814131007
(I realize you are not in the USA but as an idea) It has 256 memory and interface, 12 pixel pipelines and a core clock of 400 (easily overclocked with the easy to use ATI tool, I would bet at least 500 core) and 980 memory clock speed (Which I would bet easily OCed to 1100)
This would have you cheering.
Mind you, there will always be areas where too much happens in SH3 and slows down like when 2 tankers are buring in the same view or you up your TC to 2048 and you get near a convoy but those areas are also much improved with a better balance in the system which for you means a better VC, IMO
I do not recommend a super VC now (X1900 or 7900) because they will all be obsolete in a year or so and an X800 will run it well enough until the new MS OS and DX10 is released when, no matter what one has now, all our state of the art will be old hat then!

Wulfmann

mr chris
07-23-06, 01:04 PM
I will spend what it takes to get the game playing well on my computer. How much cash do you think i should look at spending?

Gizzmoe
07-23-06, 01:07 PM
I will spend what it takes to get the game playing well on my computer. How much cash do you think i should look at spending?

Around 150-200€. Does your computer have AGP or PCI-Express?

mr chris
07-23-06, 01:08 PM
PCI - EXPRESS

mr chris
07-23-06, 01:16 PM
Wulfmann, I know this may sound stupid but iam not that cumputer friendly but am getting better by the day. how easy would this graphics card install and wouldi be able to do i myself?

poor sailor
07-23-06, 01:21 PM
nVidia GeForce NX7600GT is also a very good choice. High in the middle-class. I'm very satisfied with her.

Wulfmann
07-23-06, 01:49 PM
It is actually very easy once you figure out it is just a plug in. Dell support should be able to help you. I say this because I do not know if your x300 is onboard or an actual card and if onboard, built in it has to be disabled. This usually happens by simply installing a new card in the slot but you should ask Dell first their opinions on your system.
If it is a regular x300 VC when you open your case you will see that there is a little lever that locks the VC and (after you have removed the set screw that hold the VC to the back of the case) when you push that in you can slip the x300 out of the PCIex slot.
Putting in the new VC is even easier. You just slide it into the slot (carefully making sure it goes in straight, no hard force is required). Screw in the screw again and if it has a separate power cord (X800 usually do not) then make sure that is attached.
I suggest when you put in the CD Drivers you click uninstall all ATI drivers first, restart the PC (it will look terrible) then run the ATI express install. Your CD should also have the ATI tool which you can over clock the VC with simple sliders. Post what you buy and we can suggest or simply post at the geek site where I run to get help.

http://forums.firingsquad.com/firingsquad/board?board.id=hardware

The 7600 is a great card as well. I would simply look at price verses performance per dollar. Compare pipes core interface etc.
For some reason ATI works better on SH3 than Nvidea. Other games it is the opposite. SH3 is very sensitive to different Nvidea drivers and properly done it works fine but ATI has had much less difficulty in SH3.
I have the X850XT and it runs everything maxed including CoD2 and MoHPA. I have it slightly over clocked. It has 16 pipes compared to 12 for the X800 and a little more speed. It has dropped a lot in price and you can save more by getting the OEM rather than the "retail" boxed which gives you stuff you usually do not need extra.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102483
This is $145.99 OEM compared to $169.00 for retail box
Note, this card comes with the fan set at a low speed and some freek on this because they don't know how to open the ATI Tool and set the fan. Once one learns how to do that it is super because you can set the speed of the fan for a variety of temps allowing it to be near silent when not taxed but revving fast when your graphic require more cooling. This scares some but is much better after it is understood. Poor explaining by ATI on this, IMO
Wulfmann

mr chris
07-23-06, 02:07 PM
Wulfmann have had a short look but this one caught my eye. What do you think?

ModelBrandSAPPHIREModel100106SR-RDInterfaceInterfacePCI Express x16ChipsetChipset ManufacturerATIGPURadeon X850XTCore clock520MHzPixelPipelines16MemoryMemory Clock1080MHzMemory Size256MBMemory Interface256-bitMemory TypeGDDR33D APIDirectXDirectX 9OpenGLOpenGL 2.0PortsD-SUB1DVI1TV-OutHDTV/S-Video/Composite OutVIVONoGeneralTunerNoneRAMDAC400 MHzMax Resolution2048x1536@85HzCoolerHeatsink and FanOperating Systems SupportedWindows 2000/XPSystem Requirements300-Watt Power Supply or higher recommended
Intel Pentium 4 / AMD Athlon or higher CPU
One available PCI Express x16 slot
One power extension cable
128MB system memory
CD-ROM drive

Wulfmann
07-23-06, 02:39 PM
I assume you posted this before you saw my reply.
Since that is the card I have.
It does everything great and cost 3 times as much a year ago.
If you buy that card when you install the driver, install the ATI Tool and set the fan speeds before you run any games.
Click the ATI tool open.
At the bottom right of the box click "settings"
The small window at the top (likely will say "Overclocking") click the pull down arrow which will open a window.
Click "Fan Control"
It will start with 5% on the first line (dumb, IMO). Simply change that and save the changes. Play with it.
I have it set at 31% start with
50% above 60C,
60% above 65C
70% above 70C
80% above 75C

It never reaches 75 in SH3 (Usually about 60-65) but can in CoD2 and MoHPA with them set at absolute max settings for everything (except bodies I have set to average in COD2).

Don't let this fan control scare you. This fan exhaust out the back of the case (it takes up two slots) and that is better for your case temps and the control allows you to dictate your noise and cooling levels as you require.
When you start playing with the OC sliders just turn on the 3D image and do it slowly making sure there are no anomalies. If you start seeing any back off 10 points lower.
After you save the new setting you must go to that same window where the fan control is (settings) open "start up" and then put the saved new speeds name (You save your speed changes and name them) so when you start up the PC that set of speeds will run. Or, you can let it default and go to the ATI tool and run the higher speeds when you play a game.
You have choices in control you never imagined with the X850XT and the ATI Tool.

Wulfmann

Seminole
07-23-06, 02:44 PM

JayW.

Why not do like many of us are...make the game into what you want?

Using Mission Editor and as many of the smaller individual mods as you like you can make it into anything that suits your fancy.

The mega mods are mostly conglomerations of individual contributions that have been coming out since the game was first released. You don't have to settle for one over the other.

It does require a certain level of understanding of how the mods interact with each other to affect the game as a whole but it isn't difficult....and if you are unsure about anything there are many on this board more than willing to explain things for you.

Sailor Steve
07-23-06, 02:59 PM
Way back when I first downloaded RUB 1.45 I opened up the readme and started going through it file by file. There were parts I didn't want and parts I did. I then put HT 1.47 on top of it, as all it changed were the Campaign, Sea and Roster files.

When NYGM Tonnage War came along I took a look through it and started doing the same thing.

Grey Wolves? I took the Campaign, Sea and Roster files from that, since that's where the latest Harbour Traffic mod lies.

I've also taken the Bordinstrument mod (included in GW but I installed it separartely) and a host of different graphics and sound-related mods.

Like JayW, I suffer from slow, choppy frame rates when the graphics first start up, but within a minute everything is fine.

I have a Gateway Pentium 4, 3 Ghz, ATI Radeon something video card (I'm not in a position to look it up right now), onboard sound only and only 512 MB RAM.

It can be done.

Cdre Gibs
07-23-06, 03:15 PM
I realy realy think these suposed "State of the Art" PC's must be CRAP ! Why - Because I'm playing SHIII + GW + My own Mods on a PIII 1.2GHz PC. I have AA @ 8 and AF @ 8 and I get 24 FPS in Port as I sail out to sea. Once at Sea I get 50-70 FPS and when I come across a large convoy (40 plus ships) I get 30-40 FPS.

So with my measley 133 FSB an 1.2GHz CPU an 4 x AGP slot I'm basicaly wondering why I should invest in a P4!

spork542
07-23-06, 04:29 PM
My CyberPower computer, and not trying to brag here:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+
2 GB DDR400 RAM
NVidia GeForce 7800GT

I have no problems with Grey Wolves. Then again, my specs should be more than good enough anyway. 2 GB of RAM is apparently unnecessary, as is a 4800+. Before I get ridiculed for getting this computer to play SH3, I didn't. I got it because my previous Dell overheated (105 degrees C for the X600 graphics card) and also to play Battlefield 2.

Deep Six
07-23-06, 05:01 PM
Well I'm running a 2.4 gig Northwood clocked at 2.75 and stable with air cooling 2X120mm fans and a 80mm cut into the side to provide air to the cpu.
PNY Gforce 6600gt stock running at core clock 500mhz and Mem clock at 900mhz.
To this I have 1 gig of branded Adata pc2700 Ram.
Mobo is a gigabyte GA-8IPE-1000G Rev 4.

This rig is by no means "State of the Art" yet leaving port with AA@4S and anisotropy @forceware 8 I get FPS at between 20-30 in mid ocean 12m waves and driving rain I still get a decent 40fps .....Its only when I'm zoomed in quite close to burning wrecks that I get a frame hit using Dowleys Oblivion smoke mod where it will drop to about 17-19 fps but that's still very playable.

Just one thing to add get yourself a little program still out there on the net called "End it all", great little app for closing down all those unwanted programs running in the background.

Cheers

Deep Six

IrishUboot
07-23-06, 07:18 PM
When you're out on the bridge, tell the Watchman to take a break and hit the sack for a while. I've found he can slow things down, especially in harbor; too much activity up top. I'm running Pascal's smoke and splash with GW, which probably doesn't help matters. Just keep activity to a minimum and work with it to find some stability; the old turn the camera around can help.

Boris
07-23-06, 07:35 PM
I realy realy think these suposed "State of the Art" PC's must be CRAP ! Why - Because I'm playing SHIII + GW + My own Mods on a PIII 1.2GHz PC. I have AA @ 8 and AF @ 8 and I get 24 FPS in Port as I sail out to sea. Once at Sea I get 50-70 FPS and when I come across a large convoy (40 plus ships) I get 30-40 FPS.

So with my measley 133 FSB an 1.2GHz CPU an 4 x AGP slot I'm basicaly wondering why I should invest in a P4!

You don't think it could be the dual core and the ageia physx card making the difference?
:hmm:

IrishUboot
07-26-06, 11:03 PM
I have no real issues except with the map (running GW). When I take a look at the nav map, it can kill my fps (down to 27 from 70 in the control room). It only seems to be here in the control room where I notice the difference. The bridge would still run smooth (70-120 depending on a number of factors, most notably the direction I'm looking out to sea). Has anyone else found the same problem with the nav map lagging things running GW?

Rilder
07-27-06, 01:46 AM
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
System Manufacturer: emachines
System Model: T6212
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.0GHz
Memory: 1534MB RAM
Page File: 258MB used, 6125MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Card name: RADEON X550
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: RADEON X550 (0x5B63)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Display Memory: 256.0 MB

Manages to run SHIII+GW pretty well... though i cant go over 64 tc in port its no problem I can place my camera right in buring ships with no loss in frame rate though :D

also this is my vid card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121544

SkvyWvr
07-27-06, 08:05 AM
Mycomputer is:
3.00GHz processor
2.00GB ram
128 graphics card
256 sound card

I play with stock game with 1.4 patch and GW, I have had to stop playing because the frame rate jumps between 120 and 20 in all stations causeing the game to be very choppy. have tryed everything possble to fix it but can't seem to do it.
any sergustions?

Try a video card with 256 or 512:yep:

mr chris
07-27-06, 12:22 PM
Hi SkvyWvr, Thanks for your post, Have ordered a new graphics card.
ModelBrandSAPPHIREModel100106SR-RDInterfaceInterfacePCI Express x16ChipsetChipset ManufacturerATIGPURadeon X850XT
Hopefully this baby will do the trick, should with some luck get me back up and running by the middle of next week, am just waiting for it to arrive. Then the real fun will begin as i have never installed a new graphics card before, so god know what i will do wrong:oops:

Ducimus
07-27-06, 01:40 PM
I propose that modders create a supermod which is a sort of hybrid of the two mods, ...I'm serious here, guys. Work with each other. There is not any reason that the NYGTW team and The GW team can figure something out.

JayW.

I don't think that will ever happen. The personality conflicts between the two teams is in all likelyhood unrecoverable. I can't say i like it that way, but thats just how it is. Acutally, i think the only way that would happen, is if a 3rd party did it. Im also pretty sure much forum drama would ensue, and if it did, id just sit on the sidelines iwth a big bowl of popcorn and watch the show. Im a little burnt out on it all.

Dowly
07-27-06, 02:31 PM
@mr chris: If you have enough to spend, I have Nvidia´s GF7800GTX and I´m very pleased with it. GW runs at 40fps in ports and 60-80fps when no ones around. :up:

Fat Produce
07-27-06, 03:46 PM
I was wondering about my graphics card. Could it handle Grey Wolves without the major fame problems??? It's a Radeon 9600.

Pants
07-27-06, 03:47 PM
I propose that modders create a supermod which is a sort of hybrid of the two mods, ...I'm serious here, guys. Work with each other. There is not any reason that the NYGTW team and The GW team can figure something out.

JayW.

I don't think that will ever happen. The personality conflicts between the two teams is in all likelyhood unrecoverable. I can't say i like it that way, but thats just how it is. Acutally, i think the only way that would happen, is if a 3rd party did it. Im also pretty sure much forum drama would ensue, and if it did, id just sit on the sidelines iwth a big bowl of popcorn and watch the show. Im a little burnt out on it all.

Same here ducimus..same here

bigboywooly
07-27-06, 03:58 PM
I was wondering about my graphics card. Could it handle Grey Wolves without the major fame problems??? It's a Radeon 9600.

Well I am using a Radeon 9250 and while sometimes I take a hit in port and near convoys it plays great so you should have no problems :up:

Boris
07-27-06, 11:34 PM
Well I am using a Radeon 9250 and while sometimes I take a hit in port and near convoys it plays great so you should have no problems :up:
My brother has a 9600 and he has no troubles at all, not much noticeable difference between that and my BFG 6800 Ultra OC. It's only on the higher TC levels and in ports where there is a bigger difference. Certainly A OK for GW though!

SH3 is generally more CPU dependant anyway, though a half decent graphics card is needed to back it up.

cobalt
07-28-06, 12:33 AM
i have a p4 2.4ghz, 512mb ram, and a radeon 9600 and i run gw with no less than 40fps at all time?

Nippelspanner
07-28-06, 07:17 AM
Athlon 2400+ (~2ghz)
512mb ram
radeon 9800 pro (128mb)

GW with 16km runs absolutely fine, except in harbors (20-25FPS)
At the ocean or in convoys, no problem...

I dont know why everyone thinks that GW is a hardware killer... i dont even have all the specs needed for SH3 vanilla, but there was NO change before and after gw...

reeeeaaaally strange...:hmm:

bigboywooly
07-28-06, 08:04 AM
Athlon XP2200 = 1.79GHz<-----meets minimum but not the recommended
1 Gb ram
Radeon 9250 128mb

As long as keep T\C low in harbour I dont notice frame drops so much
Nav map gives a drop but again only in really high T\C and I always know when near a convoy as it stutters then

I think the frame hits have more to do with the processor speed than the graphics card IMHO

Still if it was annoying me that much I wouldnt use GW would I ?

Everything else more than makes up for the "inconvenience" of blasting everywhere at 1024 T\C and I for one cant wait for the next release

Enchavado
07-28-06, 09:52 AM
I have an AMD Sempron 2600 + that dont met the recomended especifications with 512 Mb RAM DDR 3200 and ATI 9250 with 256 Mb DDR AGP 4x

In harbours are noticeable the slow down especially in the first turn around but for the rest runs smoothly (even with emule, NOD32 and daemon tools in background).

:up:

Cdre Gibs
07-28-06, 10:04 AM
As I said :

Thats a PIII 1.2GHZ ppl, no where NEAR bare arse minimum sys spec's, yet I can run all the above easy as pie!

All I can say about those with FPS dramas, Turn the Crap OFF in the background and do ya PC a favour and do some system maintance!

bigboywooly
07-28-06, 10:09 AM
As I said :

Thats a PIII 1.2GHZ ppl, no where NEAR bare arse minimum sys spec's, yet I can run all the above easy as pie!

All I can say about those with FPS dramas, Turn the Crap OFF in the background and do ya PC a favour and do some system maintance!

Using "end it all " to turn everything unneeded off and routinely carry out comp maintenace but still get FPS hits - but as I said , if it bothered me I would uninstall it - easiest solution

Pants
07-28-06, 10:11 AM
As I said :

Using "end it all " to turn everything unneeded off and routinely carry out comp maintenace but still get FPS hits - but as I said , if it bothered me I would uninstall it - easiest solution

very true

Cdre Gibs
07-28-06, 10:16 AM
My comments were not aimed at you BBW. Since in all honesty you have never had a whinge about FPS. ;)

IrishUboot
07-28-06, 11:52 PM
I've had the problem with the nav map dropping my fps. Has GW changed the map? If so, is there a way for me to get back to something which won't kill my fps, like pulling the files for the modded map and replacing them?

After reading some the posts on here I'm thinking of making my first VC upgrade too. From a X600 to possibly a X850XT. Is the X850XT better than the 9800XT?

Laffertytig
07-29-06, 04:46 AM
i wanna get sh3 to run in my laptop but realise im gonna have to upgrade, my spec is 512mb ram
p3 1500 mhz
mobile radeon 7500 32mb

to cmdr gibbs your pc seems similar to mine. what grapics card do u have?

mr chris
08-01-06, 11:35 AM
I assume you posted this before you saw my reply.
Since that is the card I have.
It does everything great and cost 3 times as much a year ago.
If you buy that card when you install the driver, install the ATI Tool and set the fan speeds before you run any games.
Click the ATI tool open.
At the bottom right of the box click "settings"
The small window at the top (likely will say "Overclocking") click the pull down arrow which will open a window.
Click "Fan Control"
It will start with 5% on the first line (dumb, IMO). Simply change that and save the changes. Play with it.
I have it set at 31% start with
50% above 60C,
60% above 65C
70% above 70C
80% above 75C

It never reaches 75 in SH3 (Usually about 60-65) but can in CoD2 and MoHPA with them set at absolute max settings for everything (except bodies I have set to average in COD2).

Don't let this fan control scare you. This fan exhaust out the back of the case (it takes up two slots) and that is better for your case temps and the control allows you to dictate your noise and cooling levels as you require.
When you start playing with the OC sliders just turn on the 3D image and do it slowly making sure there are no anomalies. If you start seeing any back off 10 points lower.
After you save the new setting you must go to that same window where the fan control is (settings) open "start up" and then put the saved new speeds name (You save your speed changes and name them) so when you start up the PC that set of speeds will run. Or, you can let it default and go to the ATI tool and run the higher speeds when you play a game.
You have choices in control you never imagined with the X850XT and the ATI Tool.

Wulfmann

Wulfmann,
Thanks for your great advice on the choice of new graphics card:up: Have managed to install it with no dramas.Works like a dream with sh3 get top frame rates everywhere. But having trouble setting fan speeds. The only way to alter the fan speeds is with a programe called trixx but it does not let me change fan speeds to corespond with the different temps. Have tryed using the ati programe but does not mention anything about fan speeds. Any advice on this matter would be most helpfull,
Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction with the card could not be more happy:arrgh!: .
Happy hunting:ping:

Wulfmann
08-01-06, 12:36 PM
Not the ATI set up or catalyst.
The ATI Tool
When you put the sapphire CD in it has the driver install and also has the ATI Tool (You can also get it from ATI site)
Install the tool to change the fan speeds
Then follow the above instructions I posted to find the fan speeds.

Wulfmann

mr chris
08-01-06, 12:56 PM
Thanks Wulfmann will give this a go.:up:

CWorth
08-01-06, 01:13 PM
Another good tool to use for removing unwanted background stuff is one called FSAutostart.
http://www.kensalter.com/fsautostart/

I use it all the time to start and stop my games.It allows you to shut down processes that EndItAll won't touch and then restart them when you are done playing.It also allows you to defrag the systems memory to open up as much of it as possible before running the game and also set the amount of CPU time you want the game to use.

Using this and the following system..

P4 3.0Ghz
1GB Ram
Nvidia 6600GT 128MB card 8x AGP

I get in port 20-25 fps but out in the open and the rest of the time I get anywhere from 65-120+ or more FPS.This is while playing the GW mod.

donots76
08-01-06, 02:12 PM
Intel Pentium 3200
1Gb Ram
Nvidea Geforce 6800Gt 265Mb with Silent-Pipe 2 (Soundless Heat Pipe Technology)

:rock:

mr chris
08-02-06, 06:49 AM
The ATI Tool
When you put the sapphire CD in it has the driver install and also has the ATI Tool (You can also get it from ATI site)

Wulfmann

Thanks Wulfmann found the tool and sorted it out. Thanks once agin for your help on this matter. I owe you one.:arrgh!:

Cdre Gibs
08-02-06, 08:21 AM
i wanna get sh3 to run in my laptop but realise im gonna have to upgrade, my spec is 512mb ram
p3 1500 mhz
mobile radeon 7500 32mb

to cmdr gibbs your pc seems similar to mine. what grapics card do u have?

Originaly I had a AGE GForce Ti4800 - SH3 ran sweet, no probs with anything. But I also wanted to run BF2 and LotR BfMEII. The old Ti4800 couldnt run those games as it didnt have the Pixelshader 2 engine. So I got a Gigabyte GForce FX5900XT. Ran all of the above - but I then started to get the white smoke drama in SH3 that is common to the FX5000 series. So now I have a xFx GForce FX7800XT. Even tho this card is in the top margin, 1 must remember that my M/B only has a 4xAGP slot, so I am nowhere near running this card at its correct bandwidth.

Wulfmann
08-02-06, 12:47 PM
The ATI Tool

Wulfmann
Thanks Wulfmann found the tool and sorted it out. Thanks once agin for your help on this matter. I owe you one.:arrgh!:

Not at all, although nice of you to say.
We all share what we can so you will surely do the same down the line.
This happened to be something I was aware of.
Others have done this countless times for my benefit as I am sure you will do for others. That is why communities like this thrive.

Wulfmann

Von Hinten
08-02-06, 05:53 PM
On the other side of the spectrum, it is the NYGTW mod which runs perfectly. Its problem is too little harbor traffic and non-existant air traffic in ports.
To some extent I have agree with Jay here. I absolutely love the NYG mod but after having a ship or two and some planes around you in the harbors it's something I've gotten used to very much and I'd love to have that back. To me this makes the game feel so much more alive. I wouldn’t classify this as a problem though, it’s probably turned out the way they wanted it to.

Apart from that both mods run flawlessly on my machine. I have no problems with them in the performance department, just a small glitch when using the binoculars on deck of the VIIC.

So if someone could tell me how to get a little more traffic going on while using the NYG mod I’d be most grateful.

Stiebler
08-03-06, 02:47 AM
Von Hinten said:
So if someone could tell me how to get a little more traffic going on while using the NYG mod I’d be most grateful.
NYGM 2.0 is provided with Rubini's Harbour Traffic. You will find it in the folder marked 'documentation'. Make a back-up of your file silenthunteriii\data\campaigns\campaign\campaign_S CR.mis, then copy into the same folder the replacement campaign_SCR.mis file from the Harbor-Traffic-Addin folder. Alternatively, copy the HTAddin folder into your silenthunteriii\mods folder (if you have one) and use the well-known JSGME program to overlay the HT file.

You won't find aircraft over the home bases though. We felt that these tended to affect the departure of the U-boat too much - the time compression kept dropping to low values.

Stiebler.

Von Hinten
08-03-06, 04:03 AM
Oh boy, a classic case of RTFM ... I feel so silly. :oops: I'm going to try that immediately.

Thanks so much for the enormous amount of patience you guys in these forums have with us non-reading captains. :up:

kapitanfred
08-03-06, 10:47 AM
No probs whatsoever with Grey Wolves:up:

kiwi_2005
08-03-06, 08:17 PM
Yes GW is brilliant. Ive only been playing it for approx 2 hrs and am impressed. This mod has made the graphics look very sleek. And on my first patrol 1939 VIIB on my way to BE31 i came across a Carrier task force with 3 destroyers and 1 light cruiser as escorts, the carrier looked blardy impressive! I came head on with it on a clear afternoon calm seas but had to move away and dive deep because i recieved a radio message not to attack any british taskforce only merchants cause hitler was hoping he could still trick britain into pulling out of the war. Okay i could of attack her even so. But didn't.:roll: Was i overcome by the realism of this mod:hmm: :D I must obey orders! :lol:

Anyways im here as i have one problem with the mod. The night time is pitch black i can't see 2 feet in front of me, and having a LCD monitor makes it worse. Is there a file i can use to change the night abit lighter? Can i load up the GW installation again and choose what i think is the right one - Atmosphere 16km Light (i choose 8km dark before) and just install that or will i have to do a whole reinstall of GW to get lighter nights. I mean when at night and i switch to external view i can't even see my boat :rotfl:

Great mod!:up:

Laffertytig
08-03-06, 10:36 PM
to cmd gibbs, how much memory did that original card u had have and how much does your latest card? i dont even know how powerful a card my laptop will hold

Cdre Gibs
08-04-06, 10:11 AM
Ti4800 - 128Mb's
FX5900 - 128Mb's
FX7800 - 256Mb's

Hope that helps you.

Pants
08-04-06, 10:20 AM
Ah was the 5700 only 128..sorry about that gibs

GreenGriffon
08-20-06, 06:28 AM
My CyberPower computer, and not trying to brag here:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+
2 GB DDR400 RAM
NVidia GeForce 7800GT

I have no problems with Grey Wolves. Then again, my specs should be more than good enough anyway. 2 GB of RAM is apparently unnecessary, as is a 4800+. Before I get ridiculed for getting this computer to play SH3, I didn't. I got it because my previous Dell overheated (105 degrees C for the X600 graphics card) and also to play Battlefield 2.

You don't deserve to be ridiculed for buying this PC to play SH3.

Buying it to play Battlefield 2 is a different story however :D

GG

Wulfmann
08-20-06, 10:52 AM
I got tired of 109s circling in GW :damn:
So, opened the RND file in Mission editor and changed their waypoints so they did one fly by over me as I started then flew off inland and not bother me again.:up:
Of course while I was there, I added a few PT boats after D-Day with some close in DD patrols to make the last couple patrols out of France the nightmare it was for real Kaleuns.:yep:
Hopefully this will be added to the next GW.:huh:
I use more of the NYGM cfg and sensor figures but still like the GW look better.
I should just make one of each but prefer blending the two with my own tweaks.
Once I start a career I stay with it so one combined is my preference.

Wulfmann

The Munster
08-20-06, 04:25 PM

Grey Wolves is too expansive with the graphics that even the PCs with top notch graphic cards can't run SH3 without slight lag after it initializing a mission or a career mission. I have a new Dell XPS 400 with a state-of-art graphic card.
On my old 2002 Gateway PC, the graphic card was burned out literally after playing SH3 with Grey Wolves.

I propose that modders create a supermod which is a sort of hybrid of the two mods, a supermod that isn't an overly excess of graphics and keeping the NYGTW games system but adding some of the cosmetic appealing asspects of GW. I'm serious here, guys. Work with each other. There is not any reason that the NYGTW team and The GW team can figure something out.

JayW.

I totally agree with this; I have GW and I have also just started a career with NYGTW. With the GW version, after a while, my NVIDIA 6800 starts whining like a banshee so it's schnell..save and exit until the smoke from my Computer goes away ! With NYGTW, everything runs smooth but elements are missing i.e. leaving Port with the Band playing in the background then hearing/seeing the planes returning 24/7 (is their an air base nearby ? well there is in Grey Wolves). I'm sure there is a compromise between the two that won't burn out your graphics card !

Pants
08-20-06, 05:21 PM
To Kpt. Munson i have a 6800 aswell but i dont get any probs :hmm: strange that you are..have you got any background programs running that should'nt be? or have you got updated drivers for vid card etc,etc ?

The Munster
08-21-06, 01:48 AM
Hi Pants..funny you should say that but I haven't updated my drivers from the get go and I've had the Computer now for 8/9 months; what is the procedure to do this ? Can you point me in the right direction ? Would be appreciated.

Pants
08-21-06, 05:59 AM
here you go mate..just choose what's on your system and download then run it :)

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

The Munster
08-21-06, 10:07 AM
Hi Pants.. thanks for that; done and done. Now I think 'I'll push the boat out' (sorry about the pun..couldn't resist it) and retry War Ace Campaign 1.8 Extreme Graphics version. Cheers :up:

Spaxspore
08-21-06, 11:42 AM

JayW.

whats your dells state-of-the-art video card.... 7600/6800 x800/x1800?

CPU- X2-3800 Dual Core
2gig Dual Chan
Vid-am on a 512mb x1900xtx PCIE with no problems