PDA

View Full Version : Conformal Array Sonar

Deathblow
10-11-05, 11:39 PM
Anyone got any good information about them? I'm trying to find more information on Conformal Arrays and their supposed capabilities to perhaps model them in-game, but I've had only limited success with my Google searches.

Does any current submarine platform utilize conformal arrays atm? I've heard the Japanese Navy has an SSK that uses conformals. Can anyone confirm?

How are the capabilities of a conformal array different than the currently utilized hull and/or spherical arrays? Different washout speeds? Sensitivity? Frequency ranges? :hmm:

Any information and/or good sources would be appreciated. :yep:

db

Molon Labe
10-12-05, 12:42 AM
In DW, the term "conformal" array is to the Russian and Chinese subs what the "hull" array is to the American subs, just as the "cylindrical" array is analagous to the "spherical" array.

Were you thinking that RL conformal arrays have different capabilities than hull arrays, and that adjustments should be made?

Ghost Dog
10-12-05, 12:43 AM
the word conformal is a bit of a fuzzy meaning for the type of arrays you refer to. The term is used to describe an array that is flush with the hull of the submarine. it is not a bow array or spherical array. they usually run length-wise down the long axis of the sub. often called flank arrays.

The flank array or conformal array serves two purposes. narrowband identification and ranging. Heres how they work.

1. Identification. Low frequency sound travels further underwater. It also has the highest wavelength, meaning you need a really big array to pick it up. having a long array down the length of your boat does the trick. The towed array is a bit like a flank array, only you tow it behind you. these arrays are thin and long and dont detect broadband noise very well. So, you can use narrowband signals to ID your contacts. Towed arrays are much better at this, but flank arrays dont break and can operate in shallow water unlike towed sets.

2. comparing the data from your flank array to your another array can give you a better TMA and help your solution. so at short range they can act like little triagulators, your bow array gets one bearing and your flank another. you compare and get a rough range estimate. The Seawolf/Virginia Wide Aperature Array is a complete evolution of this. The wide flat arrays, placed along the hull give an almost 3 dimensional sonar picture with each array giving its own data.

some of you real sonar guys can correct me here. as for real-life washout speeds and performance I would either have to do some research or defer to an expert.

Deathblow
10-12-05, 01:55 AM
I'm thinking of the array that is supposedly going to be incorporated on some of the new SSN 774s

http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/cno/n87/future/conformal.html

Conformal Acoustic Velocity Sonar (CAVES) is another term I've heard. Perhaps I'm interchanging them inappropriately. The things that I've read, mainly SSN 774 briefings, make it sound like conformal arrays will be different that existing arrays, replacing the WAA and making "improvements" in design somehow.

Links/clarification would be great. :hmm:

LuftWolf
10-12-05, 01:57 AM
Well, the Navy doesn't want to admit that their Virginia is the "compact car" version of the SeaWolf, so they call it a Littoral Warfare Submarine, which basically translates to "SeaWolf on the Cheap."

That's the cynical way of looking at it. :lol:

I'm probably completely wrong, of course. :yep: :-j

Ultraboy
10-12-05, 07:30 AM
I'm probably completely wrong, of course.

I would say you're right :yep:

What I don't get is why they just wouldn't come out and say it, "we learned some lessons on the Seawolf, so now we've got a cheaper design that's <cough> just as effective"

OKO
10-12-05, 09:07 AM
Well, the Navy doesn't want to admit that their Virginia is the "compact car" version of the SeaWolf, so they call it a Littoral Warfare Submarine, which basically translates to "SeaWolf on the Cheap."

That's the cynical way of looking at it. :lol:

I'm probably completely wrong, of course. :yep: :-j

let me be cynical a bit also :
You have to admit every other countries would like this kind of "compact car" to become their luxurious mobile home.
Refering to the price of the Seawolves, I think this is a very good way to NOT increase anymore the biggest budget deficit of the planet isn't it ?
You probably know France have the the same kind of deficit, but USA, as always, make it real bigger :P

Deathblow
10-12-05, 06:27 PM
:shifty:

so.....

..... I take this to mean that we don't really know how Conformal Acoustic Velocity Sonar (http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/cno/n87/future/conformal.html) is any different than the current WAA sonar.

Pingjockey
10-14-05, 04:16 PM
A conformal array and a WAA are pretty much the same. The Virginia class has a WAA array and it works very well (personal experience).

Call the virginia class a compact Seawolf is not to far from the truth I might add. And thats from a sonarmans point of view.

Pingjockey