PDA

View Full Version : New version of SH3 Commander with 'Crew Manager' available

The Avon Lady
07-14-05, 09:44 AM
Does the realistic career function measure the number of patrols commenced by a player or the number of times SH3 Cmdr is activated for a career? For example does it include the number of times a player activates the crew management system.
The "realistic length" option only kicks in when you press "Launch SH3!". To that end, how many times you load SH3 Commander, fiddle with your careers or crew etc is inconsequential, as it should be.
Is the command line to launch SH3 customizable? I ask because if it is, I would be able to launch the Merchant Variety Pack BAT file instead directly running SH3.

If not, could this be added?
/bump

Anyone know the answer? :-?

Flybywire
07-14-05, 11:35 AM
i downloaded this file...where does it go...or where do i place it? it doesn't have a readme.

XXi
07-15-05, 04:37 AM
I`ll give some notes when the download finishes. So far I can only tell that I LIKE the idea :)

Hawkers
07-16-05, 11:15 AM
Nice work, Beery! :up:

Does this new version include the monthly war reports and occasional radio broadcasts as before?

Another question, as a total programming layman, what kind of software/programming language do you use to create a mod like this?

Hawkers :D

Beery
07-16-05, 11:50 AM
Nice work, Beery! :up:

Does this new version include the monthly war reports and occasional radio broadcasts as before?

Yup. :up:

Another question, as a total programming layman, what kind of software/programming language do you use to create a mod like this?

Hawkers :D

Hehe, I'm a total programming layman too, and I must admit I haven't got a clue. Jaesen Jones is the programming genius behind SH3 Commander - I really only add some content (like the Newsmod) and publish the mod on my site. It's really his baby.

Flybywire
07-16-05, 12:29 PM
I would love to use this mod...I downloaded it but where does it go?

pampanito
07-16-05, 12:51 PM
I would love to use this mod...I downloaded it but where does it go?

In the same folder that your SH3 was installed (i.e. C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII).
Then instead of launching SHIII from your desktop icon you must execute the SH3Cmdr.exe file.

BTW, when you unzip SH3Cmdr there is a full readme text file... :know:

The Avon Lady
07-16-05, 02:12 PM
Does the realistic career function measure the number of patrols commenced by a player or the number of times SH3 Cmdr is activated for a career? For example does it include the number of times a player activates the crew management system.
The "realistic length" option only kicks in when you press "Launch SH3!". To that end, how many times you load SH3 Commander, fiddle with your careers or crew etc is inconsequential, as it should be.
Is the command line to launch SH3 customizable? I ask because if it is, I would be able to launch the Merchant Variety Pack BAT file instead directly running SH3.

/bump

/bump again

iambecomelife
07-16-05, 02:16 PM

/bump

/bump again

Do you ever alt-tab out of SH3 while it's running in order to load a new set of skins? You could start the "Commander" batch file, alt-tab once you reach the game's main menu, and then use the MVP batch file. I have to admit I'm not using SH3 commander, so I'm not sure this would work. Still, it's worth a try.

JScones
07-16-05, 10:00 PM
Is the command line to launch SH3 customizable? I ask because if it is, I would be able to launch the Merchant Variety Pack BAT file instead directly running SH3. If not, could this be added?
No it's not customisable, but it doesn't need to be. What you are asking SH3 Commander to do is what it has been designed to do!

SH3 Commander has been designed to automatically copy files in to and out of the game based on career/mission date (and flotilla and sub type). It's a tool that any user/modder can add to. So, all that needs to be done is to have MVP added into the SH3 Commander structure and SH3 Commander will do the rest - no .BAT file or other installation necessary. Done right, SH3 will automatically know what files to copy into SH3 based on the career or entered mission date. Check the readme file for tips. But to give an example, let's say you have skins for ships that cover early war, then another set for mid war, then another set for late war. All you need to do is create a new date folder under SH3 Commander called "19390901" and copy all the early war skins into it (preserving SH3 folder structure and integrity of course). Then, take your mid war skins and create a folder say, "19400101" if that is the date that they became available and do the same. Repeat for the late war skins with, obviously, a later date.

If you then run a career which is dated 12/12/1943, SH3 Commander will copy *all* date files it finds up to and including this date, meaning that you'll get the mid war skins, which, using this example, became available on 1/1/1940. Quite simple, eh? And, from my limited knowledge of MVP, perhaps the easiest way to provide it to users.

JScones
07-16-05, 10:33 PM
Oh, the other aspect is, depending on how keen the mod devs or you are, you can blend the different "eras" together. For example:

19390901 - all early war skins appear from here to next date
19400101 - some early war, some mid war skins from here to next date
19410101 - all mid war skins from here to next date
19430101 - some mid war, some late war skins from here to next date
19440101 - all late war skins from this date to war end.

The random aspect can be generated by alternating other dates in between, so you may have early skins model #1 from 19391201, model #2 from 19391220, model #1 again from 19391225. This way means not only will you get random skins, but you will get random skins within the same patrol - so on one day you could see a prewar C3, on the next perhaps a grey one, on the next perhaps another prewar one. So people using the SH3 Commander would not need to manually use JSGME or .BAT files to get different eye candy each time.

It just depends on how serious someone is in setting it up.

PS I'm not into the eye candy aspect of the game (I even have the external and event camaras switched off), but these a darn fine looking ships!

The Avon Lady
07-17-05, 01:21 AM
That's an interesting idea.

But it does prevent the full level of randomization of the MVP mod, .i.e, different randomized skins every time you start up SH3 with MVP.

Or did I still misunderstand something?

Anyway, it would still be nice and more flexible if the SH3 Commander's command line for SH3 could be customized to fully permit this type of randomization.

UPDATE: I'm being lazy! If I want maximum MVP Mod randomization and the SH3 Commander, all I need to do is modify the MVP Mod's batch file to execute SH3 Commander instead of SH3! :know:

Beery
07-17-05, 09:05 AM
How many different versions of a skin do you need? Since it takes about 6-8 weeks to complete a patrol and prepare for the next, if you have two variants of a skin, all you need to do would be to place your two variants in alternate months and you'd most likely see a different variant every patrol. However, this could get cumbersome, since it would require about 70 versions of the tga file (one for each month of the war).

A better solution might be to simply have a 'Random' folder in SH3 Commander, and various numbered folders within that from which the program could choose randomly. SH3 Commander would then choose which folder's contents got loaded for any patrol. This would give a fully randomized result with only a few versions of each file. If you had 5 or more folders in the 'Random' folder you could even simulate the rarity of certain skins - by placing a common skin in three of the folders and two rarer ones in the other two.

I don't know if SH3 Commander could do that, but it seems like it should be possible. I'll ask Jaesen about it.

The Avon Lady
07-17-05, 09:19 AM
How many different versions of a skin do you need?
Right now, my interest is simply finding a simple way to run the MVP mod while using the SH3 Commander.

As you can see in the last line of my previous post, the solution required changing a single line of the MVP batch file.

joea
07-17-05, 09:42 AM
A really dumb question. How do I run a single mission with SH3 commander? I can't see any mission when I run SH3.

The Avon Lady
07-17-05, 09:56 AM
A really dumb question. How do I run a single mission with SH3 commander? I can't see any mission when I run SH3.
I see all of the SP missions when I run SH3 via SH3 Commander.

Are you running with the English or German text interface? Maybe there's a connection? :-?

Beery
07-17-05, 10:31 AM

All you're doing when you set up single missions in SH3 Commander is preparing for one of the game's single missions. So, for example, if you want to run a single mission with a Type VIIC/41 you choose your sub type in SH3 Commander and the program will load up the necessary crush depth file into the game and start the game. You then choose the mission you want to play and then select the U-boat and go, just as normal. The difference is that your crush depth will be the proper one for the VIIC/41 rather than the one for the VIIC (which is what you get with the standard game).

I hope that makes sense.

Egan
07-26-05, 01:54 PM
I seem to have been wrong about the ranks thing. It is appearing now. :up:

I just had another thought; Would it be possible for the summary of each patrol to give a readout of what grid square you were initially assigned too?

It would be interesting to compare tonnage....