PDA

View Full Version : AI Torpedo Detection in Baffles

MBot
06-15-17, 08:51 AM
What are your experiences with shooting at subs from within their baffles? I have observed multiple times that AI subs start evasive actions against torpedoes in their baffles, despite them being not enabled/passive and the target having no towed array.

Is it possible that the AI is detecting torpedoes in their baffles or might the AI share information between subs?

ikalugin
06-15-17, 09:08 AM
all captains in the game are espers who, under the right conditions, know exactly where the torps are and what they do.

Shadow
06-15-17, 04:44 PM
I'm under the impression enemy vessels share information. Unless the sub in question was alone, or her friends were too far away, it's theoretically possible another Soviet platform tipped her off about the torpedo.

I'm not sure how communication with fully submerged submarines works (if at all), but that's another story.

shipkiller1
06-19-17, 05:00 PM
In the real world, almost all submarines have some form/type of acoustic intercept system to alert on specific frequencies, mainly Active. The hydrophones can detect an active energy pulse in the baffles. Passive weapons would be very iffy...

ollie1983
06-19-17, 06:22 PM
Depending on the frequency of the sonar in question, you can hear active sonar pings with the human ear quite clearly, I am not sure at what frequency the sonar in torpedos operates at however.

Lanzfeld
06-19-17, 06:26 PM
Yes but the AI actually the detects PASSIVE torpedos in the baffles every time.

The Bandit
06-19-17, 08:38 PM
Yes but the AI actually the detects PASSIVE torpedos in the baffles every time.

I can attest to this as well and in the 68 campaign its driving me crazy. You can imagine after sneaking up on a Victor and trying to put a Mk 37 into his screw the choice words I have as he motors away at 32 knots (a full 6 knots faster than my torpedo can go)!

shipkiller1
06-19-17, 09:12 PM
Depending on the frequency of the sonar in question, you can hear active sonar pings with the human ear quite clearly, I am not sure at what frequency the sonar in torpedos operates at however.

You are correct, but we are talking about torpedos, not low freq mainframe sonar systems.

In all my operations (in the real world) I have almost never aurally heard a US torpedo, 20 seconds after launch...

In the baffles (deep in the baffles, not on the edges), a passive torpedo should not be heard until it is right on top of you. MK48 ADCAPS are friggen QUIET.... almost undetectable outside 2K or less.

That being said, a vigilant US towed array broadband operator should should be able to detect a torpedo in the baffles. I cannot say for the adversary....

Besides, in the real world, you almost never shoot a weapon passively. A very specific set of parameters are needed for this type of tactic.

It's just a game anyway....

Waervyn
06-20-17, 02:40 AM
I had that happening as well. I'm not sure what I did wrong.
Proof, this video at around 8m45s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBOipe_Fq6M

If anyone can shed some light on what might have happened I'd very much appreciate it. I thought I was doing a good job with stalking, but as soon as I shot my torpedo the enemy shot back.

The Bandit
06-20-17, 03:13 AM
I had that happening as well. I'm not sure what I did wrong.
Proof, this video at around 8m45s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBOipe_Fq6M

If anyone can shed some light on what might have happened I'd very much appreciate it. I thought I was doing a good job with stalking, but as soon as I shot my torpedo the enemy shot back.

Well after watching your video, my thoughts are that you got made by his towed array sonar. Your sub was quiet enough to approach undetected but judging by how quickly he reacted, it would appear that he heard your launch transients if not the fish themselves.

My issue is a little different, baffles shot on a November or Victor (which is a lot harder to get behind) from say >6000 yards with an Mk 37. The major difference is that they take no notice of the launch but seem to notice the fish once it goes into "seeking mode" (running it passive only so as to not give itself away) the target speeds up and out runs the torpedo. The only thing I can figure is maybe the increase in noise of the torpedo accelerating from 16 to 27 knots is somehow being picked up on sonar. Other than that I have no idea why this is happening.

Julhelm
06-20-17, 03:20 AM
It's a known legacy issue back from when we only had active torpedoes. We'll fix it!

Leemon
06-20-17, 03:20 AM
From my experience I strongly believe that AI is warned of torpedo launch whenever You launch it not even detecting my sub or torpedo, like players having event window option which shows of enemy launch on You.
Been in situations when launching torp from big distances and behind layers, what made AI act defensively immediately and start using active pings.

PL_Harpoon
06-20-17, 04:16 AM
From my experience I strongly believe that AI is warned of torpedo launch whenever You launch it not even detecting my sub or torpedo, like players having event window option which shows of enemy launch on You.
Been in situations when launching torp from big distances and behind layers, what made AI act defensively immediately and start using active pings.
Here I disagree. I had numerous occasions where the AI detected my torpedoes only half way after the launch.
And they also started searching on that location first so they clearly have no god-vision.

RAM
06-20-17, 04:44 AM
For what is worth, my las tips/tutorial video shows a torpedo launch from an Alfa's baffles, homed on passive.

Alfa reacted to it when it was around 2000 yards behind. Didn't make a difference but I was surprised to see it picked up from that far. At any rate the transient of the launch and the transit of the torpedo up to that point caused no reaction whatsoever - the AI obviously only picked it up once the torpedo was really close.

Even then, it shouldn't have picked it up that far away down his baffles XD. But I hope it's a good instance the devs can take to narrow down any possible issue and fix it :).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HZoe4ZKEfI

Torpedo was fired at 26:26

Waervyn
06-20-17, 07:12 AM
Well after watching your video, my thoughts are that you got made by his towed array sonar. Your sub was quiet enough to approach undetected but judging by how quickly he reacted, it would appear that he heard your launch transients if not the fish themselves.

My issue is a little different, baffles shot on a November or Victor (which is a lot harder to get behind) from say >6000 yards with an Mk 37. The major difference is that they take no notice of the launch but seem to notice the fish once it goes into "seeking mode" (running it passive only so as to not give itself away) the target speeds up and out runs the torpedo. The only thing I can figure is maybe the increase in noise of the torpedo accelerating from 16 to 27 knots is somehow being picked up on sonar. Other than that I have no idea why this is happening.

Thanks a lot! Did not at all think about a towed array :oops:
That must be it.

Tinman764
06-20-17, 10:12 AM
It's a known legacy issue back from when we only had active torpedoes. We'll fix it!
:Kaleun_Cheers:

Shadow
06-20-17, 10:35 AM

:Kaleun_Applaud: