PDA

View Full Version : Is Cold Waters moddable? Yes, yes it is.

Onkel Neal
06-04-17, 10:32 AM
I've been on the phone with the devs and they pointed out a lot of ways game's file structure is open to modding. Boys, this game is seriously moddable. :Kaleun_Applaud:

You can create your own missions, and your own campaign even, but you can also customize the sounds you associate with different events and pieces of equipment; you can change the HUD for a single sub if you want (ex: you could make a HUD for the Permit class boat that appears different that the Skipkack), so when you get a sub, it has its own customized feel.

Of course, you can tweak the performance attributes of the ships and aircraft, so if you want the Alfa to be a little noisier than it is in the game (and doesn't everyone love a noisy Alfa?), that's possible.

And yes, the missions have an amazing amount of RANDOM factors you can use, so replaying a single mission will never be canned. I especially like that.

Dr. Paul has posted a Modding Guide here. (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=938593459) It will be updated and expanded on as time passes.

So, yeah, not only will you get a lot of enjoyment from Cold Waters straight out of the box, there are a lot of ways you can get more gameplay from the upcoming mods that Subsim mod gurus love to create. :)

Cmdr Von Wulfen
06-04-17, 02:46 PM
I've been on the phone with the devs and they pointed out a lot of ways game's file structure is open to modding. Boys, this game is seriously moddable. :Kaleun_Applaud:

You can create your own missions, and your own campaign even, but you can also customize the sounds you associate with different events and pieces of equipment; you can change the HUD for a single sub if you want (ex: you could make a HUD for the Permit class boat that appears different that the Skipkack), so when you get a sub, it has its own customized feel.

Of course, you can tweak the performance attributes of the ships and aircraft, so if you want the Alfa to be a little noisier than it is in the game (and doesn't everyone love a noisy Alfa?), that's possible.

And yes, the missions have an amazing amount of RANDOM factors you can use, so replaying a single mission will never be canned. I especially like that.

Dr. Paul has posted a Modding Guide here. (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=938593459) It will be updated and expanded on as time passes.

So, yeah, not only will you get a lot of enjoyment from Cold Waters straight out of the box, there are a lot of ways you can get more gameplay from the upcoming mods that Subsim mod gurus love to create. :)
Great news, moding will really add to the loglivety of the title :)

Monkie
06-04-17, 05:08 PM
Wow, this title just gets better and better! :yep:

Giesemaschine
06-04-17, 05:21 PM
Do you know if the 3D models are moddable?

Onkel Neal
06-04-17, 06:44 PM
I believe so.

Correction, I was mistaken, 3D models not moddable.

the one below
06-04-17, 06:50 PM
interesting

Giesemaschine
06-04-17, 10:46 PM
I believe so.

Correction, I was mistaken, 3D models not moddable.

No worries - thank you for checking on that for me Neal :Kaleun_Salute: Still can't wait to create some tense campaigns though!

Bartolomeus
06-05-17, 07:00 AM
I hope it will be possible to add new units to the game. :hmmm: I have a couple of sub models ready at my shipyard...

ikalugin
06-05-17, 05:51 PM
Does anyone plan to make soviet missions?

Onkel Neal
06-05-17, 08:40 PM
How? Is a US sub going to fight for the Commies? :k_confused:

Stardog765
06-05-17, 08:44 PM
Great info thanks for it!

Sounds very mod friendly. Did it seem that adding the ability to set a depth and course would be something that could be modded in or would that go beyond the scope of what is possible with a mod?

Just curious, kind of the last thing holding me back but if I know its coming or can be added then I am in.

Thanks again.

Krasnoyarsk1986
06-05-17, 09:28 PM
As someone who has just gotten into modding in general, is it bad that my mind is about ready to burst with ideas of things to make? Like, for example, supertankers. And the Red October. And...

Killerfish Games
06-06-17, 03:24 AM
Please note that at this time new 3D meshes (ships, aircraft weapons) and maps cannot be added by users. Its a limitation of the Unity engine.

ikalugin
06-06-17, 05:10 AM
How? Is a US sub going to fight for the Commies? :k_confused:
Couldnt you make a playable Soviet sub using in game assets?

zyx
06-06-17, 05:24 AM
Couldnt you make a playable Soviet sub using in game assets?

Theoreticly yes, i tried to make a playable typhoon but the game stops as soon your in the mission setup

ikalugin
06-06-17, 06:49 AM
That is sad, maybe it is VLS related? Did you try cold war era classics ie Victor-IIIs?

Killerfish Games
06-06-17, 09:51 AM
Theoreticly yes, i tried to make a playable typhoon but the game stops as soon your in the mission setup
Sounds like an error in the ship file.
For starters, you could try copy/paste the Los Angeles vessel file, then swap out the model data with the typhoon data. Be careful to include the masts (AI subs don't have masts!!).

That should at least put you in a LA skinned as a Typhoon and keep all the weapon systems/masts and other player needed variables in place.

After that you can tweak tube positions, mast positions etc...

If this doesn't work, paste your vessel file and we can look over it.

keltos01
06-06-17, 09:53 AM
Please note that at this time new 3D meshes (ships, aircraft weapons) and maps cannot be added by users. Its a limitation of the Unity engine.
That's a pity.. but. Does it mean that later it'll be possible?
Also: to mod some sounds and voices would be nice like "brace for impact!"

PL_Harpoon
06-06-17, 10:03 AM
That's a pity.. but. Does it mean that later it'll be possible?
Also: to mod some sounds and voices would be nice like "brace for impact!"
Depends on what is the problem.

Devs: have you tried this tool: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/152

Haven't tried it myself but seems to be just the right tool.

zyx
06-06-17, 10:07 AM
Sounds like an error in the ship file.
For starters, you could try copy/paste the Los Angeles vessel file, then swap out the model data with the typhoon data. Be careful to include the masts (AI subs don't have masts!!).

That should at least put you in a LA skinned as a Typhoon and keep all the weapon systems/masts and other player needed variables in place.

After that you can tweak tube positions, mast positions etc...

If this doesn't work, paste your vessel file and we can look over it.

I thought that too and did it like this but then i only got blank screen prior start the mission. Anyway ill upload the vessel file asap.

Regarding model edits, im aware off that unity is a pain when it comes to this but i thought there are options.

Bartolomeus
06-06-17, 12:23 PM

There are several ways to make this possible in the Unity engine. ;) Either with uMod (v2) or with an runtime model importer (for importing FBX or obj files).

Marko

zyx
06-06-17, 02:48 PM
Sounds like an error in the ship file......

In case of the typhoon, as soon as i add the second propeller it wont let me start the mission (same goes for 6 tubes).

MeshPosition=-0.07725,-0.00965,-1.135
MeshProp=wp_ssbn_typhoon_prop_l
//MeshPosition=.07725,-0.00965,-1.135
//MeshProp=wp_ssbn_typhoon_prop_r

Julhelm
06-06-17, 05:12 PM
Make sure to add the rotation for it as well at the top of the file, before the weapons section.

Thresher
06-07-17, 12:49 PM
Neal, can we have a Mods sub-directory for Cold Waters? Mod content is hitting the waves!:Kaleun_Salute:

CaptainX3
06-07-17, 10:03 PM
I had to do a lot of tinkering with the files, but I've managed to get 3 new playable platforms into the game so far:

Typhoon
Kilo
Alfa

Everything works properly on them, except that the graphics for the Stores panels don't exist yet for the Soviet weapons, and the Damage Control panel uses the graphics for the LA class because there aren't any for Soviet subs yet obviously.

However, a bit of graphics and sprite work, and they'll be good to go. Making new playable platforms using the models already in the game is seriously a 15 minute job once you know exactly what to do.

cj95
06-07-17, 11:51 PM
I've managed to get 3 new playable platforms into the game so far:

Typhoon
Kilo
Alfa

Well friend....don't keep all that Alfa goodness to yourself. Share your knowledge. :yeah:

CaptainX3
06-08-17, 07:44 AM
Here ya go:

http://www.nscmod.com/downloads/RussianSubs.zip

I uploaded it to my own website last night for people to download and test and provide feedback, but the devs of Cold Waters told me I should upload it here to the mods section, which I didn't realize you guys had, so I'll do that later today when I get off work 😊

Lymark1
06-08-17, 09:57 AM
Based on the thread, does it mean that we'll be seeing SH3/4 level of modding(TMO, RSRD etc)?

OrangeFr3ak
06-12-17, 12:27 AM
Here ya go:

http://www.nscmod.com/downloads/RussianSubs.zip

I uploaded it to my own website last night for people to download and test and provide feedback, but the devs of Cold Waters told me I should upload it here to the mods section, which I didn't realize you guys had, so I'll do that later today when I get off work 😊

Awesome mini-mod! Hope to see the Delta III next.