PDA

View Full Version : This is sooo COOL - Updated 'Solution_Wheel thingy' for manual targeting

vanjast
06-11-14, 02:06 PM
Last bit of stuff from my side..
I found an error in my last wheel, corrected this and added some extra stuff. I must just 'dolly' it up a bit more before release

What this little 'gem' (I like to call it :D) does is:-

From your target AOB observation
1) Target Range
2) Closest approach

.. added to this with a 1 degree target transversal
4) Your sub's relative speed
3) Target apparent and true speeds

This would mainly be useful for long range sightings where it makes use of the ship length, rather than mast height, as at long ranges the masts are difficult to see.

It is draggable :up:
http://www.ephotobay.com/image/solutionwheel.jpg (http://www.ephotobay.com/share/solutionwheel.html)

vanjast
06-12-14, 10:56 AM
1x minor correction - The Nautical mile ranges have shifted :dead: ...and then the method manual to do.

The only maths you have to do yourself is an Addition and Subtraction of 2 or 3 digit numbers. All Divisions/Ratios and Cos/Sin 's are automated by rotating the disc around = easy as pie :up:

Pisces
06-12-14, 11:22 AM
I hope you got a good tutorial for it, as it is as clear as mud to me now how this works.

vanjast
06-12-14, 01:58 PM
:arrgh!::arrgh!::arrgh!:

No worries mate... I'll put a simple 6 (7) step method manual together, with the theory behind it... and you'll wonder why this was 'never done before'.
At least, I think it has never been done before :up:

The longest time will be taken by the 1 degree 'target transversal' which could take at the longest 5 minutes at 8-10km range
Target speed acquisition time should lie between 5 - 60 seconds within torpedo ranges...
:)

Fubar2Niner
06-12-14, 02:04 PM
Bloody hell mate, I might, after all these years, actually attempt manual targeting using your tool :salute:

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner

vanjast
06-12-14, 04:00 PM
:up:

I have further ideas for improving the tables, but for now it should be suitable for SH3/4/5. The only problem I see is the screen resolution.

I've made it to max 1080 vertical res (wide screen) so that I can get the visual accuracy, but this is really not accurate as I'd like, as image editing is limited.

I've made compromises, hopefully within human optical perception accuracies. Essentially the closer your target gets the more accurate your calculations will be, as in RL.

Later :)