View Full Version : Explosions at Boston Marathon

Pages : [1] 2 3

Oberon
04-15-13, 02:13 PM
Multiple injuries reported from 'large explosions'

Link soon.

Tchocky
04-15-13, 02:14 PM
I was in that exact spot last week. Hope this isn't as bad as I fear it may be :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22160691

Tchocky
04-15-13, 02:28 PM
Just saw some pictures that I'm sure you'll all see at some point if you have a mind to. Not going to post them here.

Calling friends in the city now, hope the lines are open.

Jimbuna
04-15-13, 02:32 PM
Latest on Sky News (tv) is at least one dead.

http://news.sky.com/

Edit: 3 reported dead now.

mookiemookie
04-15-13, 02:33 PM
Just saw some pictures that I'm sure you'll all see at some point if you have a mind to. Not going to post them here.

Calling friends in the city now, hope the lines are open.

Saw the same. Apparently it's a mad rush for the train stations and police are telling people to stay away from trash cans.

Scary.

Armistead
04-15-13, 02:39 PM
Sad, sounds like more bombs being found.

Kptlt. Neuerburg
04-15-13, 02:52 PM
There's at least 4 people in the ER at Mass. General. I'm watching this right now, there's debris all over the place. New York is going on alert. The cause of the explosions are not yet clear.
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/15/17764747-witnesses-2-explosions-heard-near-finish-line-of-boston-marathon?lite

Oberon
04-15-13, 02:54 PM
It's possible (news of more devices), or it could be scares, there was a lot of disjointed news when the London bombings happened, I think at one point there was something like four buses exploded and seven explosions on the tube. It's still too early to tell.

The first explosion, there's footage of it, seems to have come from either within a building next to the finish line or in front of it. Now, either that's gas, or that's terrorism. Given that it's taken place near to a populated area, and in two positions, I'd have to say that it's leaning towards the latter rather than the former...but yes, still too early to say, either way it's a terrible event and my thoughts are with all the people involved in this.

Tribesman
04-15-13, 03:02 PM
Thats bad news.

JU_88
04-15-13, 03:11 PM
Crap :nope:

Tchocky
04-15-13, 03:11 PM
Friends who were running and/or spectating are all fine. My thoughts are with anyone affected and I hope everyone gets the same news I did.

Synthfg
04-15-13, 03:22 PM
Patriots Day
Boston
Newton Memorial Mile

Some Feds Gonna take my Guns Away Nut has gone off the deep end

'kin horrible

Oberon
04-15-13, 03:24 PM
Patriots Day
Boston
Newton Memorial Mile

Some Feds Gonna take my Guns Away Nut has gone off the deep end

'kin horrible

Too early to tell that. Can't rule it out, no, but it's too early to say.

baggygreen
04-15-13, 03:29 PM
Our news is showing a third explosion, controlled detonation by the coppers.

So, it looks like a deliberate attack. However, for what it's worth, it looks like it might well be amateur hour from the vision I've seen. Terrible, don't get me wrong, I sympathise completely with each and every victim ands their families. I Jest think it could have been much worse, and thinkyou may well find it is domestic and not related to anything outside the us.

Tchocky
04-15-13, 03:30 PM
Way too early to tell. Let's not do that.

Oberon
04-15-13, 03:36 PM
It's being gradually confirmed that devices were responsible for these explosions. AP reports that an intelligence chief has stated that two more devices are being dismantled and there has been a controlled explosion on a potential third.

I think it's safe to say now that it's an act of terrorism, but from who is still too early to say.

A graphic showing the approximate location of the explosions:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BH6y6pMCAAEWW7N.png:large

There has been reports of an explosion at the Library, possibly the controlled explosion from earlier. It's getting a bit confused now, but Boston PD are said to be doing a statement soon so that will hopefully clear things up a bit.

Tchocky
04-15-13, 03:46 PM
Third explosion at the JFK library. No further details yet.

Armistead
04-15-13, 03:48 PM
Our news is showing a third explosion, controlled detonation by the coppers.

So, it looks like a deliberate attack. However, for what it's worth, it looks like it might well be amateur hour from the vision I've seen. Terrible, don't get me wrong, I sympathise completely with each and every victim ands their families. I Jest think it could have been much worse, and thinkyou may well find it is domestic and not related to anything outside the us.

Wouldn't call it amateur hour, looked like two perfectly timed explosions by remote, probably low grade powder by the white smoke. Just hope this is the end.

eddie
04-15-13, 03:59 PM
Police officials have said there has been a 3rd explosion at the JFK Library, but no info on casualties.

TarJak
04-15-13, 04:07 PM
23 injured reported. Hopefully not many more die from this.

Stealhead
04-15-13, 04:11 PM
That number sounds very conservative on CNN they say 46 people injured several critically.Sounds about right judging from some aerial shots of the area they are showing now lots of what looks like blood.Whoever planted the bombs they wanted to kill the crowds that would be standing near the finish line.

I hope that they did a sweep of the area if someone was really nasty they would plant more devices to explode a few hours after the first ones.

Synthfg
04-15-13, 04:11 PM

Being British and old enough to have experienced a few of these, it's definitely terrorist, its probably domestic (the target isn't high enough profile to be otherwise) and it's too sophisticated for your average pissed off hormonal high schooler,

Wolferz
04-15-13, 04:15 PM
News media outlets are going bonkers about now. They'll probably call it the Boston Massacre.:hmmm:

Tchocky
04-15-13, 04:18 PM
Being British and old enough to have experienced a few of these, it's definitely terrorist, its probably domestic (the target isn't high enough profile to be otherwise) and it's too sophisticated for your average pissed off hormonal high schooler,

I'd say we're all too far away and uninvolved to speculate right now. I'm Irish, border counties, and also old enough to know what this looks like. But I can wait to hear from those on the scene.

Stealhead
04-15-13, 04:18 PM

No one can say for sure yet who is behind the attack.I am never a fan of speculation.I recall the attack in Norway a few years back every was crying "Islamic extremist" and that was wrong.The target is as viable for an Islamic extremist as it could be for a any other terrorist.The Boston Marathon is an international event after all.

That being said the fact that a bomb was placed near a library implies someone with a more political agenda.

Platapus
04-15-13, 04:21 PM
I agree, let's let the authorities have a chance to complete their investigation. :yep:

Ducimus
04-15-13, 04:21 PM
Domestic terrorist is entirely possible. Timothy Mcvay anyone? We do have our fair share of extremist groups. Whoever is responsible, it's a reasonable assumption that they had a fairly good idea on what they were doing . The event, location, placement, and timing of the explosive's are telling to the intent and forethought that has gone into this.

That said, i saw a Blaze article saying some saudi national was under guard, but i think that's just tabloid conjecture BS.

Tchocky
04-15-13, 04:28 PM
Possible device at Tufts Medical Centre. Some reports say EOD team inbound, some say there's been another explosion

Jimbuna
04-15-13, 04:28 PM
I agree, let's let the authorities have a chance to complete their investigation. :yep:

Rgr that :yep:

Ducimus
04-15-13, 04:32 PM
I know one thing, if they find the person(s) behind this, and if they aren't middle eastern in decent, this WILL be politicized in the worst way. Hell, that already started on page one of this thread, and other places on the web.

Armistead
04-15-13, 04:34 PM
I think it was a lone individual using a phone. The time between explosion is about the time to send one call, then hit the button for the other call.

Sad for the Sandy Hook people being honored there, to have to now deal with this.

Stealhead
04-15-13, 04:41 PM
Boston PD says that they do not have anyone in custody.

Ducimus
04-15-13, 04:43 PM
I kind of consider this tabloid news, so take this with the entire salt shaker, and a heaping helping of skepticism.

The Blaze:
NY Post: Saudi National Identified as Suspect in Boston Marathon Explosions (http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/04/15/report-suspect-identified-in-boston-marathon-explosions-and-is-being-guarded-by-police-in-hospital/)

Drilling down to the NY post:
12 dead, at least more 50 injured after 2 explosions rock Boston Marathon, suspect identified and being guarded in hospital (http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/two_explosions_at_boston_marathon_iMR0LCkcwASg0RQf VsH1yI)

Drilling down further on the NY post
Authorities ID suspect as Saudi national in marathon bombings, under guard at Boston hospital (http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/authorities_under_suspect_guard_y2m8cJO29uC2PDGIjY BalO)

Assuming there's truth in these articles, At this early stage in events, this will probably turn out to be a case of the wrong suspect.

Platapus
04-15-13, 04:44 PM
Boston PD says that they do not have anyone in custody.

Well, that is not surprising as it has only been 3 hours since the explosions.

Synthfg
04-15-13, 04:47 PM

No one can say for sure yet who is behind the attack.I am never a fan of speculation.I recall the attack in Norway a few years back every was crying "Islamic extremist" and that was wrong.The target is as viable for an Islamic extremist as it could be for a any other terrorist.The Boston Marathon is an international event after all.

That being said the fact that a bomb was placed near a library implies someone with a more political agenda.

In Norway I wasn't,
Just as 9-11 I was calling Bin Laden after the 2nd plane went in

I've also made a study of these things,

Given the target and type of devices used, the most likely explanation is a McVeigh type 'protesting' against the tightening of gun control laws following newton

Domestic Islamic Extremism (Someone watched 4 Lions and took it as inspiration) narked off high schoolers and some mad man with a grudge all vie for 2nd

Al Qaeda or affiliates slightly head North Korea or Russia in the also rans as being behind this

Tchocky
04-15-13, 04:48 PM
I'm not trusting the NY Post an awful lot right now. Nowhere else is reporting twelve dead.

Stealhead
04-15-13, 04:48 PM
In Norway I wasn't,
Just as 9-11 I was calling Bin Laden after the 2nd plane went in

I've also made a study of these things,

Given the target and type of devices used, the most likely explanation is a McVeigh type 'protesting' against the tightening of gun control laws following newton

Domestic Islamic Extremism (Someone watched 4 Lions and took it as inspiration) narked off high schoolers and some mad man with a grudge all vie for 2nd

Al Qaeda or affiliates slightly head North Korea or Russia in the also rans as being behind this

What did I say about not liking to speculate? You missed that I take it.

Ducimus
04-15-13, 04:49 PM
I'm not trusting the NY Post an awful lot right now. Nowhere else is reporting twelve dead.

Good point. I did mention the entire salt shaker (as opposed to a grain of salt), and a heaping helping of skepticism. As so far it's the ONLY mention of suspects to be found at the moment.

edit: Fox news is citing this as the top "breaking news"

SOURCE TELLS FOX NEWS AUTHORITIES ARE GUARDING A 'PERSON OF INTEREST' IN HOSPITAL WITH SEVERE BURNS (sorry for caps, that's a literal copy and paste)
I'll bet their probably parroting the NY post or wherever the NY post is getting it's BS from.

Tchocky
04-15-13, 04:52 PM
Boston PD have confirmed they're not holding anyone. Via twitter, no direct link to hand right now.

Ducimus
04-15-13, 05:00 PM
Twitter... *sigh*

Realistically, we might not know who's behind this for months.

donna52522
04-15-13, 05:02 PM
They are saying JFK Library was a fire, not a bomb...unrelated incident.

Tchocky
04-15-13, 05:04 PM
Twitter... *sigh*.

From the Boston PD official twitter, I should have said.

Ducimus
04-15-13, 05:12 PM
I just equate Twitter with Facebook. Frivolous and egocentric generally speaking, but that's subject for another thread.

Father Goose
04-15-13, 05:14 PM
I call on the United States Congress to act swiftly in banning all bombs...and trash cans!!! :know:

Tchocky
04-15-13, 05:19 PM
Hilarious.

joea
04-15-13, 05:22 PM
Ugh not again.

yubba
04-15-13, 05:55 PM
My prayers go out to the victims and to the first responders.

mookiemookie
04-15-13, 05:56 PM
I call on the United States Congress to act swiftly in banning all bombs...and trash cans!!! :know:

Wow. It only took a couple of hours. Nice job.

yubba
04-15-13, 05:58 PM
And cell phones though this is no time for humor.

Ducimus
04-15-13, 05:58 PM
Wow. It only took a couple of hours. Nice job.

Personally, i think this was already implied at post # 12. The only way this won't be politicized is if it turns out the person(s) responsible is middle eastern.

mookiemookie
04-15-13, 06:08 PM
Personally, i think this was already implied at post # 12. The only way this won't be politicized is if it turns out the person(s) responsible is middle eastern.

Which side can be the biggest insensitive bunch of d-bags first? Who can make the stupidest comment shoehorning their view on gun control into this still-unfolding tragedy? The race begins now.

Ducimus
04-15-13, 06:16 PM
Which side can be the biggest insensitive bunch of d-bags first? Who can make the stupidest comment shoehorning their view on gun control into this still-unfolding tragedy? The race begins now.

Like i said, that horse left the gate already. Saying the "race begins now" when the horse is already down the track is a bit silly. Let's just hope nobody else dies instead.

mookiemookie
04-15-13, 06:30 PM
Like i said, that horse left the gate already. Saying the "race begins now" when the horse is already down the track is a bit silly. Let's just hope nobody else dies instead.

Oh, I was kinda referring to the national media.

But I agree with you. Thoughts, hopes and prayers that there are no more deaths.

Oberon
04-15-13, 06:47 PM
There are three suspects in my mind at the moment:

1) Islamic militant - Probably not a full Al'Qaeda member but a wannabe or from one of the African zones.
2) Political activist - Ala Breivik or McVeigh, could be either side of the political spectrum
3) North Korea - The most unlikely of the three, but given recent events and todays date means that a few small warning lights are flashing.

In regards to choice of target, at first glance it doesn't seem to make sense for an Islamic militant, however given that the big names like New York and DC are pretty well secured, and this event was an international one, it's possible, it is possible.
If it isn't, and it is a political nutjob, then God help America because it's going to divide an already quite well divided nation, and if it's a person with a pro-2A agenda then the rhetoric is going to get even nastier than it is now, and it'll only be a matter of time before someone is copy and pasting conspiracy theories that Obama set this up in order to push through his firearm control law (especially when you consider that Biden was in a meeting with supporters of such a law when he got the news) on GT.
However, this is all matters to be concerned about tomorrow, what is important right now is that the casualty rate remains low, and that any other devices in the area are found and deactivated.
If anything, the amount of EMT people at the marathon and within easy reach of the marathon will help here.

Here's a video making the rounds of the explosion and immediate aftermath, I didn't spot any gore on it, but obviously be aware:

http://www.boston.com/video/viral_page/?%2Fservices%2Fplayer%2Fbcpid2080955193001&bckey=AQ%7E%7E%2CAAAAAA6piHY%7E%2CDqRT40XOAr8XmRt9 Lw9Lza1eXkXEagX8&bctid=2303076923001

Oberon
04-15-13, 06:58 PM
I just equate Twitter with Facebook. Frivolous and egocentric generally speaking, but that's subject for another thread.

Ironically it was twitter where I got the breaking news from, I follow the BBC and it appeared on twitter before it was on the Breaking news section of their website. :doh:

Speaking of twitter, some interesting trends are taking place on it at the moment:

Obviously, BostonMarathon is trending and #prayforboston and #BPD
But also 'EssendonBombersWhateverItTakes' which is a football team apparently, and majorly unfortunate timing being prolonged by people tweeting the irony and uncomfort of it trending at a time like this, a sort of uncomfortable cycle.
Also 'Muslims' is trending, but aside from some contraversy with Erik Rush, all of the 'Muslim' tweets are encouraging people not to jump to conclusions...primarily because 'Muslims' is trending...so people are tweeting without even reading the 'Muslims' tweets assuming that people are blaming Muslims and defending them. Another interesting self-cycle.
'Iraq' is also trending with some pretty gruesome images from bombs which killed 32 and injured over 200 today, and a comparison between the media reports of the bombs in Iraq and the bombs in Boston.
'An 8' also trending, which is not in regards to a Russian aircraft but reports that indicate an 8 year old child was one of those killed, unconfirmed most likely.
'JFK' also trending, most likely in regards to the fire.

yubba
04-15-13, 06:58 PM
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s480x480/526572_468963973185839_1952810926_n.jpg4th Tea Party, 5th NRA, 6th yubba

Armistead
04-15-13, 07:04 PM
Heard one dead was a 8 year old kid

Sometimes I try to be funny, but some people are just stupid....

Ducimus
04-15-13, 07:12 PM
Ironically it was twitter where I got the breaking news from, I follow the BBC and it appeared on twitter before it was on the Breaking news section of their website. :doh:

While I realize that Twitter is used for a variety of reasons, it is my thought that it's primary use is for people who are so self absorbed that they have to post what it is they are doing minute by minute as if anyone really cares.

Oberon
04-15-13, 07:12 PM
Associated Press giving a figure of eight hospitals treating over 120 people with 15 critically injured.

Oberon
04-15-13, 07:13 PM
While I realize that Twitter is used for a variety of reasons, it is my thought that it's primary use is for people who are so self absorbed that they have to post what it is they are doing minute by minute as if anyone really cares.

It can be like that, but there are some handy things on it.

vienna
04-15-13, 07:16 PM
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/two_explosions_at_boston_marathon_iMR0LCkcwASg0RQf VsH1yI

Cops also issued an all-points-bulletin for a yellow Penske truck or van that tried to get access to a marathon site, claiming it had medical supplies — and then sped off or was turned away.

Sounds like maybe it's a classic "attack the first responders" ploy as seen in attacks in places like Israel. Then, again, the report comes from the NY Post; will wait and see if this pans out...

The local radio news here in Los Angeles is just now reporting ERs in Boston are saying ball bearings are being found in the wounds of the injured civikians...

<O>

JU_88
04-15-13, 07:24 PM
@Oberon I cant imagine its NK, if so it would be very shocking!

As for Al Qaeda, i suppose its possible, but i dont feel that this is quite their style, and I'd guess that any African followers would have more of an axe to grind with France than the U.S right now - owing to recent events...

my gut tells me this is probably going to be U.S domestic - but honestly, who knows....
I just hope they get a lead and track down the bastards soon.

GoldenRivet
04-15-13, 07:28 PM
Just got to my computer a few minutes ago... a good friend of mine was running the marathon, he finished the race a short time before the bomb blasts occurred - he said they had stopped to watch the others finish and had been watching for a while, then decided to go find their hotel and get something to eat... no sooner did he turn around and walk about half a block the bombs exploded.

He is ok thankfully

Oberon
04-15-13, 07:32 PM
@Oberon I cant imagine its NK, if so it would be very surprising!

As for Al Qaeda, i suppose its possible, but i dont feel that this is quite their style, and I'd guess that any African followers would have more of an axe to grind with France than the U.S right now - owing to recent events...

my gut tell me this is going to be a U.S domestic nutjob but honestly, who knows....

It would be very unlikely, but I can't rule it out, they have had experience with South Korean infiltration operations, from there it would be a case of buying a ticket to the US, but the bomb making would be more difficult.
In regards to Al Qaeda, I'd imagine if it is an Islamic militant it would be a 'fanboy' rather than a fully fledged card carrying AQ member. In fact, AQ would probably be as surprised by it as we are (hence why they've not taken responsibility) until someone gets a video like our guys made before they hit London.
But yes, my second guess would be domestic political.

Bubblehead1980
04-15-13, 07:34 PM
Ah the long terms ramifications of this are scary, obama and his loyal band of ignorant followers will use this to go after people who oppose him, watch.Anyways, hope it was a muslim group or north koreans or perhaps left wing terrorists? They were everywhere in the 60's and 70's? Oh yea, they grew up and got jobs in the government and academia:/\\!!

Really though , it is sad and whoever did it should be brought to justice.No excuse for bombing a public event like that, at all.

razark
04-15-13, 07:36 PM
Hopefully with two unexploded devices and a large number of cameras in the area, they have enough information to bring this filth to justice quick.

:nope:
Whatever your politics or cause, if it involves hurting children, it's wrong.

Edit:
And to those already throwing their politics into this: Damn. That's just sad.

AndyJWest
04-15-13, 07:39 PM
So what have we learned so far?

(a) We don't know who did it.

(b) Regardless of who is responsible, some forum members will take any opportunity to push their own political line, and hold their political opponents responsible anyway...

mookiemookie
04-15-13, 07:41 PM
Ah the long terms ramifications of this are scary, obama and his loyal band of ignorant followers will use this to go after people who oppose him, watch.Anyways, hope it was a muslim group or north koreans or perhaps left wing terrorists? They were everywhere in the 60's and 70's? Oh yea, they grew up and got jobs in the government and academia:/\\!!

Really though , it is sad and whoever did it should be brought to justice.No excuse for bombing a public event like that, at all.

You're crass and offensive. Get lost.

Oberon
So what have we learned so far?

(a) We don't know who did it.

(b) Regardless of who is responsible, some forum members will take any opportunity to push their own political line, and hold their political opponents responsible anyway...

You, good sir, win the internets. :yep:

TLAM Strike
3) North Korea - The most unlikely of the three, but given recent events and todays date means that a few small warning lights are flashing.
Doubt it was the North Koreans. Too far out of their AO, the farthest they have ever done something like this was in Rangoon and that was to target the South Korean President, and the bombing of that Seoul bound KAL 707 near Thailand.

Oberon
04-15-13, 07:45 PM
Doubt it was the North Koreans. Too far out of their AO, the farthest they have ever done something like this was in Rangoon and that was to target the South Korean President, and the bombing of that Seoul bound KAL 707 near Thailand.

True, I did say that they were very low down the list, but just can't rule it out completely given the current events and the significant of todays date.

Sailor Steve
04-15-13, 07:50 PM
obama and his loyal band of ignorant followers will use this to go after people who oppose him,
Leave your personal politics out of this. You've been warned, officially and unofficially.

Cybermat47
04-15-13, 07:52 PM

If you make one more pathetic, offensive post like that, I swear, I will beg Neal to keelhaul you.

Oberon
04-15-13, 07:54 PM
Confirmed - No suspect at the hospital.

Sailor Steve
04-15-13, 07:55 PM
If you make one more pathetic, offensive post like that, I swear, I will beg Neal to keelhaul you.
That's not much of a threat, as begging doesn't work around here. On a personal level, your comment isn't a whole lot better than his. On the other hand, your comment won't get you infracted. His already did, so let's drop it please.

Cybermat47
04-15-13, 07:59 PM
That's not much of a threat, as begging doesn't work around here. On a personal level, your comment isn't a whole lot better than his. On the other hand, your comment won't get you infracted. His already did, so let's drop it please.

Good point.

On topic, I hope that they catch whoever did this.

Oberon
04-15-13, 08:01 PM
Is there some guy in the media conference going on about a false flag operation?

Christ...where do these people come from? :nope:

EDIT: Say no more - https://twitter.com/RealAlexJones

For people who want to see what I mean with the media conference - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQWH2epffQY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQWH2epffQY&feature=youtu.be) He was screaming about a 'false flag' later (Naturally the youtube vid doesn't show that) What a jerk.

eddie
04-15-13, 08:12 PM
I checked that link Oberon, what a bunch of nutjobs,LOL They are so paranoid, I wonder how they sleep at all!!:D

Oberon
04-15-13, 08:18 PM
I checked that link Oberon, what a bunch of nutjobs,LOL They are so paranoid, I wonder how they sleep at all!!:D

If this does turn out to be a domestic nutjob, I can see their support growing as people like Yubba and Bubblehead buy into their media.

Sad times, sad times.

soopaman2
04-15-13, 08:19 PM
Look at it as an optimist!

At least pro/anti gun rhetorical politics can not be ignited on this issue.:D

I hope they catch the bastard, and string him up by his/her man parts/mammaries.

This is truly unexcusable. No matter what supposed political reason is behind it.

Also a false flag op, as brought up above is valid as well.

I can see why Osama did 9/11. It was to make a point, I can see why the USS cole was done, same as above, a point to be made. I am not debating the justness of said acts, but, I can see why ( in their messed up minds) such things were done, and the reason behind them, at least fundamentally. I am just trying to make sense of this. Motives and such.

I am sure that above paragraph will be copypasta'd and used against me out of context in the near future.:har:

But (seriously) what is the reason for this disgusting act?

No point in this, other than outright mayhem. I hope more info comes out, this is odd, and has the paintings of a lunatic, rather than some kind of fundy terrorist.

Armistead
04-15-13, 08:52 PM
If this does turn out to be a domestic nutjob, I can see their support growing as people like Yubba and Bubblehead buy into their media.

Sad times, sad times.

Glen Beck has a love child..

eddie
04-15-13, 09:31 PM
They are saying most injuries seen at one hospital are shrapnel wounds to the legs. Several people have gone through amputations already.

My heart goes out to these poor innocent people.

Bubblehead1980
04-15-13, 09:39 PM

Sad times, sad times.

Absolutely not. I would never condone this, if this is a right wing group, I may agree with some of their views on government etc but their methods are counterproductive and wrong.No one will rally to the cause if they are out bombing people but they probably do not understand this as they are crazy.Their hearts are probably in the right place, but they are mentally gone.There is absolutely no justification for bombing the marathon, the end.

I was called out for "offensive" post earlier? This was offensive! Alluding that I would approve of such methods? That is offensive but I won't make a big deal out of it like some of the well, other subsimmers on here.:hmm2:

Bubblehead1980
04-15-13, 09:40 PM
You're crass and offensive. Get lost.

You're oversensitive and need to stop your whining.

Bubblehead1980
04-15-13, 09:41 PM

Censorship much? This was not offensive.

Oberon
04-15-13, 09:55 PM
Absolutely not. I would never condone this, if this is a right wing group, I may agree with some of their views on government etc but their methods are counterproductive and wrong.No one will rally to the cause if they are out bombing people but they probably do not understand this as they are crazy.Their hearts are probably in the right place, but they are mentally gone.There is absolutely no justification for bombing the marathon, the end.

I was called out for "offensive" post earlier? This was offensive! Alluding that I would approve of such methods? That is offensive but I won't make a big deal out of it like some of the well, other subsimmers on here.:hmm2:

:rolleyes:

Did you even bother to read the post I replied to? Or the one before that? Or did you just spot your name and immediately jump to conclusions?
I meant you would be in support of the views of Alex Jones, and unless Alex Jones has decided to create his own false flag operation and blame it on an Obama false flag operation (a false-false-flag operation?) then I don't think it was him who did this.

So, next time you want to take offense, take offense at the right thing... :nope:

yubba
04-15-13, 10:02 PM

Sad times, sad times.
First off I don't support terrorism, it is bad enough some media outlets are using the phrase right wing extremist,, so how far left of Stalin are they to promote this, any thing to advance an agenda. If this is, an act of terrorism of Islamic extremist how is your media going to report this when the don't use these words, terrorism, islamic, and extremist ??????? Hell this could be a false flag op, this government has a lot to loose, the Dow lost -266 today gold fell to a 2 year low and not one word about Austrailia dumping the dollar with trade with China, my media did say something about it, well we'll see what the markets do tomorrow, they can't hide what they have done so they got to distract us while they rob us blind, but that is a theory..If it is a right wing nut job I will be disappointed because we have the constitution on our side and we need not kill anybody ...

eddie
04-15-13, 10:13 PM
The effects of todays bombing has London looking over their security for their marathon this week. Hope it goes well with no problems.

http://news.msn.com/world/boston-blasts-prompt-uk-review-of-london-marathon

AndyJWest
04-15-13, 10:20 PM
...any thing to advance an agenda... this could be a false flag op... not one word about Austrailia dumping the dollar with trade with China...

Do you even bother to think before writing?

Bubblehead1980
04-15-13, 10:22 PM
:rolleyes:

Did you even bother to read the post I replied to? Or the one before that? Or did you just spot your name and immediately jump to conclusions?
I meant you would be in support of the views of Alex Jones, and unless Alex Jones has decided to create his own false flag operation and blame it on an Obama false flag operation (a false-false-flag operation?) then I don't think it was him who did this.

So, next time you want to take offense, take offense at the right thing... :nope:

I saw you calling me out and saying I would support the people behind this, that is what I feel you were alluding to.Also, do not presume to tell me who I agree with etc I think Alex Jones is a nut, his heart is in the right place and he understands the constitution, especially the second amendment, but he is a nut.I know this from his piers morgan interview and other things of his I have read since that now infamous interview.I had only heard of him, maybe seen him once before that.Contrary to the picture certain people on here try to portray, I do not listen to talk radio all the time nor does it influence me. Do I listen to them at times? Yes. Do I always agree? No. I saw you hinting I would support the people and mentality behind these horrendous acts and felt I needed to call you out. Now, if you really were not saying that, fine, but that is how I took it.

Onkel Neal
04-15-13, 10:33 PM
I say enough with the loopy politics, either way. One person has been brigged, there is room for more.

Subnuts
04-15-13, 10:42 PM
Three people dead, 144 wounded, 17 critically, at least eight amputations performed already...

And people are crying because they're afraid that "one of my people" may have carried out that the attack. The bodies haven't even cooled off yet, and all people can say is "boy, I hope one uh them libruhls did this!"

Unbelievable.

Onkel Neal
04-15-13, 10:45 PM
Ahem....

geetrue
04-15-13, 11:01 PM
It would be very unlikely, but I can't rule it out, they have had experience with South Korean infiltration operations, from there it would be a case of buying a ticket to the US, but the bomb making would be more difficult.
In regards to Al Qaeda, I'd imagine if it is an Islamic militant it would be a 'fanboy' rather than a fully fledged card carrying AQ member. In fact, AQ would probably be as surprised by it as we are (hence why they've not taken responsibility) until someone gets a video like our guys made before they hit London.
But yes, my second guess would be domestic political.

Since when do domestic quarrels use ball bearings in their bombs to cause as much damage as possible ...?

Sounds suni to me :yep:

JFK had a problem and stood up to that problem ending his life with unproven (so far) co-operation between Cuba and Russia.

What if ... on this same well known famous persons birthday three bombs are planted to go off with only two doing the dirty deed injuring over one hundred and thirty innocent people and killing three so far ...?

What if North Korea is so mad at USA they fund an evil attack on Boston, home of Secretary of State John Kerry, using their friends in Iran who in turn use their contacts in the USA to do this terroist deed, but of course have learned by now not to mess with USA if they know who did it?

I think this will be a mess to solve and perhaps I've seen too many movies, but don't the biggies kill the little guys they use or at least turn them over to the authorities and plead no prior knowledge of such a thing?

Oberon
04-15-13, 11:19 PM
Since when do domestic quarrels use ball bearings in their bombs to cause as much damage as possible ...?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Copeland

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwich_Village_townhouse_explosion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Minsk_Metro_bombing

Ball bearings and nails are pretty common ingredients in a bomb designed to injure and maim over a while radius, acting in a similar manner to a claymore or fragmentation grenade. They were used quite a lot during 'The Troubles' over here, including during one particularly gruesome detonation at Hyde and Regents Park (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyde_Park_and_Regent%27s_Park_bombings)

I saw you calling me out and saying I would support the people behind this, that is what I feel you were alluding to.Also, do not presume to tell me who I agree with etc I think Alex Jones is a nut, his heart is in the right place and he understands the constitution, especially the second amendment, but he is a nut.I know this from his piers morgan interview and other things of his I have read since that now infamous interview.I had only heard of him, maybe seen him once before that.Contrary to the picture certain people on here try to portray, I do not listen to talk radio all the time nor does it influence me. Do I listen to them at times? Yes. Do I always agree? No. I saw you hinting I would support the people and mentality behind these horrendous acts and felt I needed to call you out. Now, if you really were not saying that, fine, but that is how I took it.

Fair enough, I admit my writing was a little vague looking back at it and could have been misinterpreted, not my intention.
In regards to the rest of what you have said...well, I shall respect Neals judgment and remain silent.

Bubblehead1980
04-16-13, 01:02 AM

Ball bearings and nails are pretty common ingredients in a bomb designed to injure and maim over a while radius, acting in a similar manner to a claymore or fragmentation grenade. They were used quite a lot during 'The Troubles' over here, including during one particularly gruesome detonation at Hyde and Regents Park (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyde_Park_and_Regent%27s_Park_bombings)

Fair enough, I admit my writing was a little vague looking back at it and could have been misinterpreted, not my intention.
In regards to the rest of what you have said...well, I shall respect Neals judgment and remain silent.

Ok, no hard feelings:salute:

Bottom line, just an awful tragedy, just hope we get the truth.

kraznyi_oktjabr
04-16-13, 02:07 AM

Also this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myyrmanni_bombing

Vince82
04-16-13, 02:15 AM
Could be that it's to early to speculate, but possible motive for this attack: it's not like people in middle eastern countries are running around for fun.

Mork_417
04-16-13, 02:28 AM
Very sad & tragic. :nope:

My oldest daugther was asking serious questions over the phone, and was scared that it was going to happen here. :down:

BossMark
04-16-13, 03:11 AM
Really bad really really bad :nope:

My condolences to all the victims

Bilge_Rat
04-16-13, 04:17 AM
very sad indeed.

my condoleances to all the victims also.

Cybermat47
04-16-13, 04:53 AM
Just saw some more footage.

So much blood on the ground.

Whoever did this deserves a long, painful punishment.

JU_88
04-16-13, 05:41 AM
For what its worth....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/9996871/Boston-Marathon-explosions-Pakistan-Taliban-says-it-was-not-behind-bombs.html

Still, I guess no cards are off the table yet
Im just glad there have been no further incidents.

Skybird
04-16-13, 05:58 AM
Have been very close to something like this and of this scale myself when I was 19, such news always hits me like a stone in the face.

Never fully got over it, always having a silent, ice-cold rage deep in myself. That is my way of remembrance. Not forgotten. Never forgiven.

mapuc
04-16-13, 06:13 AM
I pray for the victims and
I pray that the death will remain at those 3

I pray that your police, FBI a.s.o may find the person or persons who did this awful thing and take them to justice and that they will get the punishment they deserve.

Markus

Feuer Frei!
04-16-13, 06:24 AM
It seems the Washington Times is quickest on the reporting trigger:

Police have taken into custody and questioned a Saudi national in connection with the bombings at Monday’s Boston Marathon (http://www.washingtontimes.com/topics/boston-marathon/), law enforcement officials told one reporter.
The New York Post (http://www.washingtontimes.com/topics/new-york-post/) reported that Federal Bureau of Investigation (http://www.washingtontimes.com/topics/federal-bureau-of-investigation/) agents questioned the 20-year-old suspect at Boston’s Brigham and Women's Hospital (http://www.washingtontimes.com/topics/womens-hospital/), while he was being treated for shrapnel injuries on his leg. They’re keeping him under heavy guard and in custody, The Post reported.

SOURCE (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/apr/16/police-question-saudi-national-boston-bombings/)

Tribesman
04-16-13, 06:37 AM

Pages 2&3 in this topic.

Armistead
04-16-13, 06:43 AM
Thoughts for all those in Boston today!

Boston is heroic! Amazing to see all the people run into the fray to help others, not knowing if other bombs would go off. I doubt if they were worried who was liberal or right wing, they acted like Americans!

19Herr_Rapp86
04-16-13, 06:56 AM
Glen Beck has a love child..

First of all, 2 n's in Glenn. I'm a subscriber. (I know, I know. I've braced for impact... Here it comes... :O:)

Second, thoughts and prayers are with the whole of Boston due to this tragedy.

Thirdly, I wouldn't get too worked up over whodunnit or all the whatnot. We've got a good intelligence team, police force, etc. We'll find them. Tim McVeigh or however you spell it, nor Ted Kazinsky, again, however you spell it, or even Osama bin Laden (I know how to spell that one!) weren't caught right away. We'll get the guy though. I hope the casualty list doesn't continue to grow.

andritsos
04-16-13, 07:10 AM
I am so saddened to learn something like this happened, as for any kind of violence :cry:

From all the people targeted and hit,shocked, the reports of even dead kids and as a running event, to learn that quite many injuries are on the legs too..:nope: :cry:
its just terrible

also a person from my running club took part in the event ( did finish some time before , and was near the finish line watching , at some point decided to turn away to go to hotel or something and as did that, the explosions happened)

i hope the perpetrator(s) get caught

my thoughts on all the affected people

swamprat69er
04-16-13, 07:21 AM
My thoughts and prayers go out to the people of Boston and those caught up in this tragedy.

Oberon
04-16-13, 10:50 AM

SOURCE (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/apr/16/police-question-saudi-national-boston-bombings/)

This was already denied by the FBI earlier. There have been a few people that they have questioned, but so far no-one has been taken into custody.

geetrue
04-16-13, 12:13 PM

First of al I feel very sorry for the dead and the injured and the pain they are going through right now.

It is the fear this attack leaves behind that we have to overcome ... we can't cancel every sporting event and we can't let fear rule us, with that said ...

I'm sorry if you thought I meant other countries domestic violence ... I meant our country the USA. I meant domestic terroist like Timothy Mcvea.

I don't have time to google while in the middle of a good book about Ephesians, but I don't recall this kind of bomb used on our soil.

I know the one stopped in the Times Square bomb scare had nails and stuff in it, but again that was a wacko from Pakistan (was he from the Boston area or was that Conn?).

Other clues that point to the middle east are the 911 attackers flew out of Boston and some were even living there before the attack.

I know this is going out on a limb, but I really think there is a connection between the latest earthquake in Iran being the worse in forty years and very deep under ground causing very few injuries due to it's remoteness.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/17/world/middleeast/strong-earthquake-strikes-near-iran-pakistan-border.html?_r=0

TEHRAN — Southeast Iran was hit by the most powerful earthquake to strike the country in 40 years on Tuesday and its reverberations were felt as far away as India, but Iranian officials said the tremor had originated so deep underground, and in such a sparsely populated area, that it caused relatively few casualties and only minor damage.

As long as our money says in God we trust then I feel comfortable in making the connection of an eye for eye and a tooth for a tooth.

One more clue too ... with today is the 65th anniversary of Israel statehood ...

however it is the 70th anniversary I would worry about which is five years from now after her neighbors have settled there differences and have grown stronger in brotherhood.

I'll leave North Korea (I can't get use to calling them anything Democratic) off my suspect list even though they have been beating the war drums for weeks now and have just been quoted yesterday of saying that they would strike South Korea without warning if provoked:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/15/world/asia/north-korea-ultimatum/index.html

(CNN) -- North Korea turned up the temperature yet another degree on its neighbors Monday, warning that it would not give any advance notice before attacking South Korea.

God bless Boston and all of it's strong people and the FBI and the ATF and all of our countries resources in locating this enemy of the state.

I say put him in the same cell with Whitey

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4801104368830281&pid=1.7&w=107&h=148&c=7&rs=1

Stealhead
04-16-13, 12:39 PM
F

I know this is going out on a limb, but I really think there is a connection between the latest earthquake in Iran being the worse in forty years and very deep under ground causing very few injuries due to it's remoteness.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/17/world/middleeast/strong-earthquake-strikes-near-iran-pakistan-border.html?_r=0

As long as our money says in God we trust then I feel comfortable in making the connection of an eye for eye and a tooth for a tooth.

One more clue too ... with today is the 65th anniversary of Israel statehood ...

however it is the 70th anniversary I would worry about which is five years from now after her neighbors have settled there differences and have grown stronger in brotherhood.

I think you are reading a bit too much into religious prophecy.For starters it is unknown who is behind this attack.So to assume that the earthquake on the Pakistani-Iranian border was punishment from god is a stretch.

Furthermore the United Sates was not founded specially on Christianity "In God we trust" was not added to currency and seals until 1864.In fact in my humble opinion that term flies in the face of the 1st Amendment.

As I have stated before I dislike speculation but this attack seems much more amateur than a planned one by any Islamist group.For example they would have used higher grade explosives and set the bombs at chest height to insure that more people where killed they also would have made it a suicide attack.Now a lone wolf following the ideals of a group is possible if so this person or persons did not receive any specific training at a camp.An well organized Islamist group would also have taken the effort to acquire a high grade explosive.

I suspect that the perps where expecting the bombs to have much more explosive force than they produced they probably hoped that the blasts would have reached all the way across the street with deadly force.

TLAM Strike
04-16-13, 12:50 PM

You are a month off Israel declared its independence on May 14 1948.

DP990
04-16-13, 12:53 PM
First and foremost this country was founded on religious beliefs, thats why the earlist settlers left england to avoid persecution. The first admendment protects us from that. It is my personal belief, that what is happening in our public schools is a direct result from removing prayer from schools. Most of us who are members of this forum grew up during those years. And I don't think anyone of us would even consider performing a dispicable act in the tragedy of the conn. shootings. We reap what we sow. Our children are growing up without the basic values that we were taught in schools and our parents.

mookiemookie
04-16-13, 12:58 PM
First and foremost this country was founded on religious beliefs, thats why the earlist settlers left england to avoid persecution. The first admendment protects us from that. It is my personal belief, that what is happening in our public schools is a direct result from removing prayer from schools. Most of us who are members of this forum grew up during those years. And I don't think anyone of us would even consider performing a dispicable act in the tragedy of the conn. shootings. We reap what we sow. Our children are growing up without the basic values that we were taught in schools and our parents.

Implying that only the religious can be moral or ethical people. Which is most definitely not the case.

Tribesman
04-16-13, 12:58 PM
I'm sorry if you thought I meant other countries domestic violence ... I meant our country the USA. I meant domestic terroist like Timothy Mcvea.

I don't have time to google while in the middle of a good book about Ephesians, but I don't recall this kind of bomb used on our soil.

Do you not remember the Army of God and their bombings?
The olympics would be an easy example to remember of domestic terrorists using shrapnel to maximize casualties.

Stealhead
04-16-13, 12:59 PM

You need to re-read the 1st Amendment and better understand the lives of the founding fathers hint hint they where secularists.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Hottentot
04-16-13, 01:00 PM
Sorry for offtopic, guys, I know how important this is, but I just wanted to say that this is a horrible event which at least to me came completely out of the blue (I literally found out about it by opening the newspaper's website and seeing the front page filled with it). Even under the threat of getting brigged for continued offtopic, I just wish to offer my condolences.

Since I have no idea who might have done it nor a political agenda, I'm sorry to say I can't contribute to the thread's topic and therefore will now take my leave. Sorry again to disturb this thread with the offtopic.

Stealhead
04-16-13, 01:08 PM
Sorry for offtopic, guys, I know how important this is, but I just wanted to say that this is a horrible event which at least to me came completely out of the blue (I literally found out about it by opening the newspaper's website and seeing the front page filled with it). Even under the threat of getting brigged for continued offtopic, I just wish to offer my condolences.

Since I have no idea who might have done it nor a political agenda, I'm sorry to say I can't contribute to the thread's topic and therefore will now take my leave. Sorry again to disturb this thread with the offtopic.

No one else knows who did this or why so I do not see how that bars you from posting whatever you feel like posting.

Bilge_Rat
04-16-13, 01:08 PM
hmm, april 15, 2003 or exactly 10 years before the bombing was the day U.S. forces captured Tikrit. Tikrit was the last major town captured in the invasion and Saddam Hussein's hometown. Coincidence?

mookiemookie
04-16-13, 01:09 PM

Complaining about meandering topics in GT? You must be new here.

Stealhead
04-16-13, 01:09 PM
hmm, april 15, 2003 or exactly 10 years before the bombing was the day U.S. forces captured Tikrit. Tikrit was the last major town captured in the invasion and Saddam Hussein's hometown. Coincidence?

No.

Oberon
04-16-13, 01:10 PM

http://cdn.techipedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/ban_him_sm1.jpg :O:

Hottentot
04-16-13, 01:14 PM
No one else knows who did this or why so I do not see how that bars you from posting whatever you feel like posting.

While what I wrote was true and my actual feelings and reactions, I was trying to hint something else too.

Complaining about meandering topics in GT? You must be new here.

If it crosses the whacky-tresshold, then yes. And in this case it certainly did.

Stealhead
04-16-13, 01:31 PM
While what I wrote was true and my actual feelings and reactions, I was trying to hint something else too.

I did feel that you did not mean what you said about the victims.As to the other part that just happens in GT though I'm sure you know that some people just cant help themselves.

Jimbuna
04-16-13, 01:58 PM

It's not all that difficult actually...just don't break any of the forum rules.

That is the expectation of the forum owner of anyone and everyone that posts.

mapuc
04-16-13, 01:59 PM
You are a month off Israel declared its independence on May 14 1948.

Some of my friends from Israel and in Denmark had this Sunday(14Th April) celebrated the 65Th independence/birthday

Markus

Stealhead
04-16-13, 02:07 PM
Some of my friends from Israel and in Denmark had this Sunday(14Th April) celebrated the 65Th independence/birthday

Markus

It changes every year based on the Jewish calendar.It was on April 15th this year Jewish holidays start at the sunset of the previous day(14th).

TLAM Strike
04-16-13, 02:44 PM
Name of the BPD's PoI who is at Brigham Hospital has been leaked:

Photos of PoI:

(If this person is innocent let that last photo be a warning not to put dumb _____ like that on your Facebook!) :03:

I don't know if he is related somehow to Ahmad Al Harbi of the Ahmad Al Harbi Group (note slightly different spelling that maybe the result of transliteration). This group was linked to funding al-Qaida back in 2002.

Stealhead
04-16-13, 02:48 PM
Al Harbi or is nothing more than an Arab surname that name alone signifies nothing it can be spelled either way.

I am not saying that he is involved or not though the fact there has been nothing official about this person coming from the government even to imply that they consider him a POI,witness,or suspect implies to me that either people are blowing the fact that he was a Saudi that at might have been of some interest (or witness depending on the media source) or for some reason the Feds do not wish to say anything yet.I think that the former is most likely the case.

Oberon
04-16-13, 03:06 PM
(If this person is innocent let that last photo be a warning not to put dumb _____ like that on your Facebook!) :03:

Doesn't stop many Americans from posing with their guns. :hmmm: Or indeed, me from posing with an L85A2.

Anyway, BPD said yesterday that the reports that they had a man in hospital under custody were false, and yet today those false reports are still circulating. It's almost as bad as the photo of a little girl going around facebook asking people to pray for her as she was a victim of the bombing when she was in fact nowhere near Boston at the time and was, in fact, running in another race in Virginia sometime last year.

mapuc
04-16-13, 03:21 PM
Even though the President have warned us from speculating, some of my friends have already some suspects, muslims offcourse

In some of the thread I wrote that there are no evidence that point towards some islamic terrorgroups so far

I say let the police do their job in peace. I'm 110 % assure that they will find the perpetrator

Markus

Oberon
04-16-13, 03:26 PM
I say let the police do their job in peace. I'm 110 % assure that they will find the perpetrator

Markus

x2 :yep: Sadly in this day and age it's natural that the first fingers will be pointed at Muslims, just as when something bad happens in a Muslim country it's usually blamed on the west. That's how it goes, but either way, stirring up panic and hatred when no-one knows who did it is counter-productive, but that's never stopped society before.

mookiemookie
04-16-13, 03:26 PM
Sources told FOX 25 there was an American Airlines flight that was headed to Chicago. There were two men on that plane – not sitting next to each other – and speaking Arabic.

There were some concerned marathoners on the flight so the plane was brought back to the gate and the two men were escorted off the plane.

No other details were immediately available.

http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/21988916/2013/04/16/plane-brought-back-to-gate-at-logan-airport#ixzz2Qez2T5bp

Concerned marathoners? Sounds more like concerned xenophobic idiots to me.

Oberon
04-16-13, 03:28 PM
http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/21988916/2013/04/16/plane-brought-back-to-gate-at-logan-airport#ixzz2Qez2T5bp

Concerned marathoners? Sounds more like concerned xenophobic idiots to me.

Expect a lot more incidents like this over the coming weeks.

TLAM Strike
04-16-13, 03:32 PM
Doesn't stop many Americans from posing with their guns. :hmmm: Or indeed, me from posing with an L85A2.

There is context to consider. A Saudi male coming to America and taking a photo holding a Golden firearm has some bad connotations behind it (I remember that Saddam has a couple of those). Perhaps if you Oberon came to Boston and took a photo of yourself brandishing that L85A2 (or perhaps a Ferguson Rifle), or if I came to the UK and took a photo brandishing an Armalite (since I have an Irish last name) it might not appear innocent in certain circumstances.

You certainly have the right to take such a photo and post it but if by some fluke you end up being questioned by the FBI you might have some explaining to do.

AndyJWest
04-16-13, 03:35 PM
How do you know where the photo was taken?

mapuc
04-16-13, 03:37 PM
x2 :yep: Sadly in this day and age it's natural that the first fingers will be pointed at Muslims, just as when something bad happens in a Muslim country it's usually blamed on the west. That's how it goes, but either way, stirring up panic and hatred when no-one knows who did it is counter-productive, but that's never stopped society before.

I'm not better my self. I remember my first thought when I heard about the Oklahoma bombing...When will we be free of these Islamic terror...I was wrong

When this awful thing happened i Oslo, Norway my first thought was..not again, when will we be free...

I have learned my lesson, no more hesitated conclusion

Markus

AndyJWest
04-16-13, 03:37 PM
if I came to the UK and took a photo brandishing an Armalite (since I have an Irish last name) it might not appear innocent in certain circumstances..

It wouldn't appear innocent in most circumstances. We don't allow individuals access to Armalites...

Oberon
04-16-13, 03:39 PM
There is context to consider. A Saudi male coming to America and taking a photo holding a Golden firearm has some bad connotations behind it (I remember that Saddam has a couple of those). Perhaps if you Oberon came to Boston and took a photo of yourself brandishing that L85A2 (or perhaps a Ferguson Rifle), or if I came to the UK and took a photo brandishing an Armalite (since I have an Irish last name) it might not appear innocent in certain circumstances.

You certainly have the right to take such a photo and post it but if by some fluke you end up being questioned by the FBI you might have some explaining to do.

So, guilty until proven innocent? :hmmm:

Stealhead
04-16-13, 03:43 PM

Anyway, BPD said yesterday that the reports that they had a man in hospital under custody were false, and yet today those false reports are still circulating. It's almost as bad as the photo of a little girl going around facebook asking people to pray for her as she was a victim of the bombing when she was in fact nowhere near Boston at the time and was, in fact, running in another race in Virginia sometime last year.

On top of all that "golden gun" looks like Sig Sauer P series to me maybe a 226 or 220 it is an older version as well it does not have the newer extractor so it is either an older model or a Turkish copy.

I agree with you the photo was likely taken in Saudi Arabia the wealthy love their golden guns.

I think xenophobia is flaring in relation to this Saudi kid and that only plays into the hands of Islamic terrorist groups sadly.What is also not mentioned is that a female Saudi national was also injured while attending the marathon with her family of course a female does not fit the bill so she got ignored.

I may be wrong but I have a gut feeling that this person was never of any interest to the authorities perhaps beyond some basic questioning if that even occured and that someone heard about him and decided to spread their agenda.The fact this information first came form some of the most unreliable media outlets furthers my suspension.

Oberon
04-16-13, 03:48 PM
I'm not better my self. I remember my first thought when I heard about the Oklahoma bombing...When will we be free of these Islamic terror...I was wrong

When this awful thing happened i Oslo, Norway my first thought was..not again, when will we be free...

I have learned my lesson, no more hesitated conclusion

Markus

Oh aye, it's certainly possible that this is an Islamic militant of some sort, or a domestic nutjob, however starting some sort of facebook lynch mob on a report that's been denied by the Boston Police Department is not exactly helpful to the Boston Police or FBI who will have to expend resources protecting the individual in question from misguided well wishers. :nope:
I fully expect to see those pictures pasted into some note like 'This terrorist is reponsible for the Boston attacks but is being protected by the FBI because of Obamas government' or something like that on facebook before long.
Not an attack on TLAM, he's just copying and pasting what someone else has dug up in their 'righteous quest'.

TLAM Strike
04-16-13, 03:52 PM
How do you know where the photo was taken? If Facebook and his Mobile Phone are to believed it was taken in Revere Mass, on Sept 3rd 2012 (although he has returned from a trip to Saudi recently).

EDIT: I checked the photo to see if a location and time were imbedded and it contained no Metadata, which might be due to it being uploaded to Facebook I guess.

It wouldn't appear innocent in most circumstances. We don't allow individuals access to Armalites... Massachusetts restricts ownership of handguns.

Stealhead
04-16-13, 03:57 PM
If Facebook and his Mobile Phone are to believed it was taken in Revere Mass, on Sept 3rd 2012 (although he has returned from a trip to Saudi recently).

Massachusetts restricts ownership of handguns.

You are aware that news networks are currently saying that the government has officially stated that this kid was a spectator and not a suspect I hope.

TLAM Strike
04-16-13, 03:59 PM
Not an attack on TLAM, he's just copying and pasting what someone else has dug up in their 'righteous quest'.

I just report 'em, I don't make them up. :salute:

TLAM Strike
04-16-13, 04:05 PM
You are aware that news networks are currently saying that the government has officially stated that this kid was a spectator and not a suspect I hope.
Did I ever say he was a suspect? I stated he was the Person of Interest the Boston Police had questioned at Brigham Hospital, he has a photo of himself with a fancy looking pistol and that his last name happened to be the same as someone from Saudi Arabia who was connected to AQ.

None of those things say that he did it, all they are is just plain simple facts.

Stealhead
04-16-13, 04:10 PM
Did I ever say he was a suspect? I stated he was the Person of Interest the Boston Police had questioned at Brigham Hospital, he has a photo of himself with a fancy looking pistol and that his last name happened to be the same as someone from Saudi Arabia who was connected to AQ.

None of those things say that he did it, all they are is just plain simple facts.

You just seem to be building your case against him.The facts the way I see them are that the dude is Saudi he has a fairly common Saudi last name and he has a Facebook photo that shows him holding a handgun which you have no idea where the photo was taken.There is no proof what so ever that the BPD ever considered this person a POI.

Jimbuna
04-16-13, 04:13 PM
Let us all keep an open mind....there are a great deal of parameters and possibilities to be taken into consideration.

Platapus
04-16-13, 04:13 PM
I also post on a car owners forum. They also have a "general topics" forum on their website.

Not surprising, there is a thread on the Boston Marathon incident.

So far 3 pages of posts about this horrible incident and not one single political remark. Nothing but concern for members in that area and discussions on the attack.

If they can do that, why can't this forum do it?

August
04-16-13, 04:17 PM
I also post on a car owners forum. They also have a "general topics" forum on their website.

So far 3 pages of posts about this horrible incident and not one single political remark. Nothing but concern for members in that area and discussions on the attack.

I don't know. We didn't even make it past post #12.

Jimbuna
04-16-13, 04:19 PM

Quite simply...this is GT and there is nothing unusual or different to what has occurred in the past.

Tchocky
04-16-13, 04:21 PM
I like to think GT can be self-correcting about stuff like this. The stupid stuff being posted is getting drowned in sense.

Bilge_Rat
04-16-13, 04:28 PM
apparently authorities are now saying the Saudi POI is a witness, not a suspect.

reports say the bombs were packed in "pressure cookers" to maximise the impact. There are also reportts that these types of bombs are in common use in the ME which would seem to point to an Islamic group.

CNN) -- The bombs that turned the finish line at the Boston Marathon into a scene of horror were made from pressure cookers and hidden in backpacks, federal law enforcement sources said Tuesday.

The blasts were likely detonated by timers -- not by cell phones, a law enforcement official said.
The U.S. government has warned federal agencies in the past that pressure cookers -- airtight pots used to quickly cook or preserve foods (http://swampland.time.com/2013/04/16/a-short-history-of-pressure-cooker-bombs/)-- have been turned into bombs in parts of the world. A Department of Homeland Security memo called it "a technique commonly taught in Afghan terrorist training camps."

"Typically, these bombs are made by placing TNT or other explosives in a pressure cooker and attaching a blasting cap at the top of the pressure cooker," the memo said.

Such bombs are "very effective," terrorism expert Jeff Beatty told CNN. Taliban and al Qaeda militants "use them to make their IEDs," he said.

"That doesn't mean it was the Taliban -- other people can read about this," said Beatty, who served in the FBI, CIA and the military's Delta Force.

So far, investigators have found no foreign or al Qaeda connection to the bombings, a U.S. official told CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/15/us/boston-marathon-investigation/index.html

Jimbuna
04-16-13, 04:28 PM
I like to think GT can be self-correcting about stuff like this. The stupid stuff being posted is getting drowned in sense.

I certainly hope so...less work for moderation :yep:

Cybermat47
04-16-13, 04:30 PM
There are also reportts that these types of bombs are in common use in the ME which would seem to point to an Islamic group.

I doubt that this was the work of Islamic extremists. They generally tend to use a suicide bomber to pull the trigger, don't they?

Jimbuna
04-16-13, 04:38 PM
I doubt that this was the work of Islamic extremists. They generally tend to use a suicide bomber to pull the trigger, don't they?

Not certain for sure....do they?

Bilge_Rat
04-16-13, 04:42 PM
Well it could be a copycat group or another group that trained in the ME. The type of bombs would seem to indicate they know what they are doing.

Extremists in the ME do not always use suicide bombers, it really depends on the target and how difficult it is to approach.

August
04-16-13, 04:44 PM

Well yeah but only in parts of the world where they have the population to draw from. Over here they might place a higher value on hard to recruit operatives rather than expend them in a suicide bombing.

Bilge_Rat
04-16-13, 04:47 PM
more details on the bombs here:

The explosives were made of pressure cookers packed with gunpowder and shrapnel, law enforcement sources said.

The sources said the explosives were in six-litre pressure cookers and placed in black duffel bags that were placed on the ground; the bags contained shards of metal, nails and ball bearings.

Al Jazeera's Alan Fisher said such a bomb was set to explode by using a mobile phone and had been used in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"The police were saying that there were traces of pressure cooker found at the site," he said.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/americas/2013/04/2013416152112944580.html

edit; apparently, one the 2010 Times Square bombs was the same type.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/ap-glance-use-of-pressure-cooker-bombs-around-the-world/2013/04/16/d59321aa-a6c2-11e2-9e1c-bb0fb0c2edd9_story.html

TLAM Strike
04-16-13, 04:53 PM
You just seem to be building your case against him. I'm just an intel guy, I search for and find stuff. Give me a name, an item or a place and I'll find out what there is to know that is relevant.

I've written in a journalistic capacity before. I know not to and don't make up a case against someone, I just report the relevant facts.

The facts the way I see them are that the dude is Saudi he has a fairly common Saudi last name and he has a Facebook photo that shows him holding a handgun which you have no idea where the photo was taken. Well unless I get the origional photo in question as far as we know that photo was taken in the suburb of Revere Mass at or near where the person lived.

There is no proof what so ever that the BPD ever considered this person a POI.Fox news states that he was the PoI
The source confirmed to FoxNews.com that the person of interest is Abdul Rahman Ali Alharbi, a 20-year-old Saudi. His Facebook page identifies him as a current or former student at the New England School of English. He is believed to have entered the country on a student visa. The source stressed that Alharbi is a person of interest, not a suspect, and said he suffered serious injuries in the explosion.
From another report:

Sources confirmed to FoxNews.com that the apartment being searched in connection to the bombings is on the fifth floor of the building.
A source close to the investigation confirms to FoxNews.com the man whose apartment was searched is considered a person of interest in the case, and is the same person of interest Fox News confirmed earlier authorities are guarding at a local hospital.
The source stressed that the person of interest, not a suspect, and said he suffered serious injuries in the explosion.
Investigators were seen leaving the Revere house early Tuesday carrying brown paper bags, plastic trash bags and a duffel bag, according to the Associated Press.
Fox also reports that he was ruled out:

Authorities had searched an apartment in the nearby Boston suburb of Revere as part of the investigation into the explosions. But the individual in question, who was initially considered a "person of interest," has now been ruled out as a suspect, sources confirmed to Fox News.So we know he was at the site. He was injured. He was questioned and his apartment searched and is no longer considered a suspect. None of this contradicts anything about what I have stated.

Since was have exhausted all the facts about our former PoI lets discuss the weapon used. It appears to be the trendy Pressure Cooker IED.
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/9945/tumblrinlinemlcz1wuzwz1.jpg
^one captured somewhere not Boston.

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/4447/pressurecookeriedthumbe.jpg

Apparently very common in the 'stans and India since the High Alts make cooking difficult having one goes unnoticed. I imagine it makes for a decent direction explosive due to its shape. They place explosives in the center and pack shrapnel material around it.

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/1759/dhspressurecookerieds1.png

Bilge_Rat
04-16-13, 05:00 PM
I can see why they placed them in Duffel bags. Someone carrying around a pressure cooker would attract attention. How much would this weigh?

Presumably, this will make it easier to spot the perpetrator(s) on the videos.

eddie
04-16-13, 05:01 PM
Sad to see that 2 brothers who were there cheering on a friend running the marathon, have both lost a leg in the explosion. Has to be awful for their mother who has to constantly shuffle between two different hospitals to visit them. One of the brothers girl friend was badly burned too.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/16/17776521-please-pray-for-them-mom-of-brothers-who-each-lost-a-leg?lite

TLAM Strike
04-16-13, 05:15 PM
I can see why they placed them in Duffel bags. Someone carrying around a pressure cooker would attract attention. How much would this weigh?

Presumably, this will make it easier to spot the perpetrator(s) on the videos.

I looked around and about 20-30 pounds based on the capacity and weight of the pressure cooker I have at my house and weight of C4. I doubt the explosive was something like C4 so it probably is closer to the 30+ pound range.

August
04-16-13, 05:18 PM

Between the cookers, the gunpowder and the shrapnel it had to weigh at least 40-50 lbs.

mapuc
04-16-13, 05:31 PM
But I have to tell you that I get sick in my stomach and in my heart when I read about false flag, obama and other conspiracy-like stuff.

That's not fair against those victims and those who died.

Markus

19Herr_Rapp86
04-16-13, 05:33 PM
I'm just an intel guy, I search for and find stuff. Give me a name, an item or a place and I'll find out what there is to know that is relevant.

I've written in a journalistic capacity before. I know not to and don't make up a case against someone, I just report the relevant facts.

Well unless I get the origional photo in question as far as we know that photo was taken in the suburb of Revere Mass at or near where the person lived.

Fox news states that he was the PoI
From another report:

Fox also reports that he was ruled out:

So we know he was at the site. He was injured. He was questioned and his apartment searched and is no longer considered a suspect. None of this contradicts anything about what I have stated.

Since was have exhausted all the facts about our former PoI lets discuss the weapon used. It appears to be the trendy Pressure Cooker IED.
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/9945/tumblrinlinemlcz1wuzwz1.jpg
^one captured somewhere not Boston.

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/4447/pressurecookeriedthumbe.jpg

Apparently very common in the 'stans and India since the High Alts make cooking difficult having one goes unnoticed. I imagine it makes for a decent direction explosive due to its shape. They place explosives in the center and pack shrapnel material around it.

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/1759/dhspressurecookerieds1.png

I'm a veteran of the Iraq War. I've seen almost every IED they've ever produced. Lollypops, speedbumps, daisy-chains, etc. Pressure-cooker IED's were more common in Afghanistan than in Iraq, but we did find a few. Very few bombers over there were suicide bombers. I'd say one out of 10 IED related explosions (mind you, just on my deployments, not the whole of the war) were suicide driven. Most often they would try to detonate from afar as to not be caught by coalition forces. Now what I am about to say is speculation. I am no expert. I'm just speaking based on my own personal experience. I highly doubt that it was fundamental extremism that pulled this off. It was way too sloppy in my opinion. We ran into some very complex stuff in Iraq. 9/11 was extremely complex. In fact in my opinion, I think it's a well educated lunatic that has studied up on the ME and terror tactics and replicated an attack to the best of his ability to try and get the blame placed on someone other than himself or his nutjob cult or whatever the case may be. The bombings do indeed resemble fundamentalist terrorism, but there are certain, I don't know what to call them, clues I guess, that lead me to believe otherwise.

Cybermat47
04-16-13, 05:33 PM
Well yeah but only in parts of the world where they have the population to draw from. Over here they might place a higher value on hard to recruit operatives rather than expend them in a suicide bombing.

Well, that does make sense.

Oberon
04-16-13, 06:41 PM
The pressure cooker bomb does tend to knock the sphere of interest back into the Islamic militant region, although equally a smart non-Islamic bomber could have decided to employ Islamic methods in order to put the FBI, police and media on the wrong track. It's still too early to tell.

Platapus
04-16-13, 06:54 PM
The pressure cooker bomb does tend to knock the sphere of interest back into the Islamic militant region, although equally a smart non-Islamic bomber could have decided to employ Islamic methods in order to put the FBI, police and media on the wrong track. It's still too early to tell.

Exactly. Perhaps a domestic jerk read the multiple articles describing pressure cooker IEDs on the Internets Tubes.

Unfortunately, the days of "hey the baddie used technique A. That means he came from this area" are long gone. :nope:

soopaman2
04-16-13, 07:36 PM
This could be kind of superficial, I just found it interesting, and maybe a bit heartwarming.

I will explain briefly for non regional baseball fans, but the Yankees and Red Sox, uhh, hate each other. HATE. It is hard to shortly convey the feeling of contempt.

The Yankees kinda "ripped off" a Fenway park tradition of playing Sweet Caroline as a show of solidarity. TheNY fans were getting into it and singing along much like you see in Boston.

It was heartwarming, and shows the spirit of America as a whole.

We like to to hate each other, but that is because we love each other. We just do not want to admit it.

Oberon
04-16-13, 07:37 PM
We like to to hate each other, but that is because we love each other. We just do not want to admit it.

:haha: Trust me, from an outsiders POV, this can be very confusing. :haha:

Platapus
04-16-13, 07:38 PM
Here is something for the conspiracy lovers

Suppose this was a failed hit on Gabriel Gomez?

Mr. Gomez is a senatorial candidate for Massachusetts.

According to Mr. Gomez he crossed the finish line a few minutes prior to the first explosion.

Nah. No conspiracy. Just another coincidence. :yep: But that's what most conspiracy theories are.

Tchocky
04-16-13, 07:42 PM
Nah. No conspiracy. Just another coincidence. :yep: But that's what most conspiracy theories are.

This was registered last night.

http://bostonmarathonconspiracy.com/

Well played.

soopaman2
04-16-13, 07:58 PM
:haha: Trust me, from an outsiders POV, this can be very confusing. :haha:

Americans generally treat each other like crap, The northern Liberal vs the southern Conservative jabs you sometimes see here for example. We are unlike most other countries in that we are a conglomerate of cultures, so with intermingling of that sort, you get bigotry.

But at the end of the day we all recognize despite our differences we sink or swim together.

I stink at trying to explain things, but I gave it a good go at it.

My summation, we are weird, violent, yet lovable.

Winston Churchill once said "You can count on America to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else"

One of my favorite quotes from a Brit.:)

soopaman2
04-16-13, 08:50 PM
Is it too soon to perhaps discuss the ramifications this will have on our rights?

Not minimizing the victims, just saying.

The Patriot act was born from 9-11. Considering how everything these days is politically polarized, I can only imagine in horror the crap that will be imposed on the citizens now...

les green01
04-16-13, 09:10 PM
im thinking about getting myself back in shape and run in the
boston marathon to show the people that did this that they cant stop us

Oberon
04-16-13, 09:16 PM
Is it too soon to perhaps discuss the ramifications this will have on our rights?

The Patriot act was born from 9-11. Considering how everything these days is politically polarized, I can only imagine in horror the crap that will be imposed on the citizens now...

I don't see why there has to be, we coped just fine with thirty-forty years of it without becoming a police state.

soopaman2
04-16-13, 09:22 PM

American spirit!

I bet attendance for the marathon next year will be way up from the normal. Discouraging a country who made its way in the world testing its limits is not a way to go.

I hope all resources are being poured into the efforts of finding the perp/perps.

I only hope the NY Post is not covering it, with all the bullcrap they put out in the first day. Overinflated death numbers, Americas version of the Dailymail, what a freaking rag. Rupert Murdoch owns it, and it has more bikinis than news in it, do not validate the Post in any ways by reading or citing them, just a warning

Cybermat47
04-16-13, 10:07 PM

:up: :salute:

TLAM Strike
04-17-13, 12:05 AM
AQAP published instructions on how to build Pressure Cooker bombs in an article called "Make a Bomb in the Kitchen of your Mom" in the summer of 2010 issue of Inspire.

AQAP has made its tactic to encourage non-members to engage in Jihad against the US and its allies. This is the same outfit that had contact with the Fort Hood shooter.

Excerpt from the article, I removed some of the non-relevant technical information and highlighted the important parts.
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/3381/pressurecookerbombforaq.jpg

Bubblehead1980
04-17-13, 01:39 AM

I brought up the possible ramifications in an earlier post, it went to hell, but it should definitely be discussed as certain people will no doubt use this to further agenda of taking away civil liberties in the name of "security" like 9/11. Do you find how militarized that area of Boston became so quickly disturbing? Not with police really, but the feds.DHS etc The fact that the government can move in so quickly in large numbers and take over a large section of a major US city,Not trying to start an argument, just wondering if this bothers anyone else, it should.

Cybermat47
04-17-13, 01:41 AM
The fact that the government can move in so quickly in large numbers and take over a large section of a major US city,Not trying to start an argument, just wondering if this bothers anyone else, it should.

It is a bit disturbing, I'll grant you that.

Bilge_Rat
04-17-13, 05:52 AM
I brought up the possible ramifications in an earlier post, it went to hell, but it should definitely be discussed as certain people will no doubt use this to further agenda of taking away civil liberties in the name of "security" like 9/11. Do you find how militarized that area of Boston became so quickly disturbing? Not with police really, but the feds.DHS etc The fact that the government can move in so quickly in large numbers and take over a large section of a major US city,Not trying to start an argument, just wondering if this bothers anyone else, it should.

bringing up your right wing political agenda at a time like this is really petty. :nope:

eddie
04-17-13, 08:06 AM
I don't care how many agencies are involved in helping out the victims of this crime, and in finding out who did this, and bringing them to justice.:yep:

Ducimus
04-17-13, 08:47 AM
bringing up your right wing political agenda at a time like this is really petty. :nope:

How about the both of you zip it.

donna52522
04-17-13, 09:46 AM

Boston is a major city with a busy International Airport. The FBI, ATF, and many other law enforcement agencies have large field offices there. Large because bombings aren't the only crimes they are dealing with. Another thing is the speed of todays communications...they don't use snail mail and telegraphs anymore.

Police and fire departments answer 911 calls with increasing speed as well, and this is something i am grateful for. It's called your tax dollars and technology at work.

Armistead
04-17-13, 09:49 AM

Would you prefer the government not have that ability during terrorist acts or natural disasters?

NeonSamurai
04-17-13, 09:52 AM
I'm sorry but pressure cooker bombs do not point at any suspects, as any idiot that knows anything about explosives could come up with that idea. They are basically bigger pipe bombs in practice and effect. It is also highly likely that they were used with the intent of throwing off investigators due to their common use in places like Afghanistan. As for how they were detonated, probably either timer/clock or cellphone. I would not be surprised if this was the work of one person.

MH
04-17-13, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/smartdark/viewpost.gif (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=2042658#post2042658)
:o
Very disturbing indeed that your government is doing efficiently the job it is supposed to do and you pay taxes for.

why all those clichés ?
I understand all this -don't trust the government and blah.... blah.....but why this.?:doh:

Oberon
04-17-13, 10:12 AM
It is a bit disturbing, I'll grant you that.

Would it be better if it was like Katrina? :hmmm:

Armistead
04-17-13, 10:25 AM
I'm sorry but pressure cooker bombs do not point at any suspects, as any idiot that knows anything about explosives could come up with that idea. They are basically bigger pipe bombs in practice and effect. It is also highly likely that they were used with the intent of throwing off investigators due to their common use in places like Afghanistan. As for how they were detonated, probably either timer/clock or cellphone. I would not be surprised if this was the work of one person.

The more involved, usually the more mistakes. The danger of one person is a concern, much harder to find and could be planning another attack.

eddie
04-17-13, 11:39 AM
Here are photo's taken by the authorities, showing pieces of the bomb.

http://photoblog.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/17/17793425-anatomy-of-a-bombing-photos-show-battery-wires-used-in-device?lite

Stealhead
04-17-13, 11:40 AM
The more involved, usually the more mistakes. The danger of one person is a concern, much harder to find and could be planning another attack.

I think the primary reason for a lone wolf attack is the fact that no one can inform on the attacker.In the case of a group there is always the chance that someone will get cold feet and inform or that if someone gets caught they will inform on the other participants.

Judging from past attacks of a similar nature Oklahoma City or the London bombings it is clear that a handful of people can carry out a very devastating attack.

Hard to say really if it is a lone wolf that does not imply much as many extremist groups around the world promote this tactic from Islamic Extremists to White Supremacists.No mater the group they all like lone wolves due to them being more difficult to track as you said.Of course the other reason would the hope that other like minded persons would be inspired by the attacks.Of course a left or right wing group would most likely be hoping that the attack might spur a revolution.

Armistead
04-17-13, 12:04 PM
News reporting a possible suspect and been ID'ed.

Ducimus
04-17-13, 12:31 PM
News reporting a possible suspect and been ID'ed.

Source?

Armistead
04-17-13, 12:33 PM
Source?

CNN and HLN.

Some videos from stores showing someone laying the bomb down. Mentioned a LE briefing at 5.

Armistead
04-17-13, 12:46 PM
Suspect has been arrested...

CNN

Madox58
04-17-13, 01:00 PM
Yay!!

:rock:

Hottentot
04-17-13, 01:04 PM
Smart move to omit all the details about the suspect until the investigation is done. Don't give too much material for the rumors at this point.

Jimbuna
04-17-13, 01:23 PM
A positive step forward then.

Oberon
04-17-13, 01:24 PM
A good step, but a suspect is just a suspect until charged, so we'll see. :yep:

Madox58
04-17-13, 01:26 PM
Ya.
Kind of reminds one of Atlanta.
:hmmm:

Stealhead
04-17-13, 01:37 PM
Do not get too excited the part about a suspect being arrested is not correct they are just now saying this part is not correct only that that the FBI has found been able to Id a possible suspect they have been able to ID setting down items in video and photo footage.

So a person IDed as setting bags down not hwo it is and no one has been arrested.

Typical media flapping off tons of unconfirmed information that turns out moments later not to be correct.

Tribesman
04-17-13, 01:38 PM
I hope it is true.

They are holding a news conference in an hour and a half.

Oberon
04-17-13, 01:40 PM
I hope it is true.

They are holding a news conference in an hour and a half.

TBH, this is the only source of information I'm coming to trust, the media just keeps jumping at shadows. :doh:

mookiemookie
04-17-13, 01:49 PM
Two possible suspects identified: https://www.crimedex.com/AlertImageService?alert-id=232564&image-id=16554

Stealhead
04-17-13, 01:49 PM
TBH, this is the only source of information I'm coming to trust, the media just keeps jumping at shadows. :doh:

I only trust it is as true when it comes from the hoses mouth.The media is just an expensive version of the childhood game "telephone"maybe they call it something else in other countries the game where one kid whispers something into the next kids ear and it goes on down the line.What the first kid said and what the last kid said is never the same.The point of the game is that the orginal message is to be passed around properly.

The first kid might say "Fido is my dog" and the last kid recites the Magna Carta.

keysersoze
04-17-13, 01:54 PM
Sitting in class now and looking at a picture of two alleged suspects standing next to each other, both apparently on their cell phones. Both are wearing dark jackets and tan pants and boots (possibly BDU style? - hard to tell). Both are wearing large black backpacks. We'll have to wait for additional confirmation, though.

Oberon
04-17-13, 01:57 PM
I only trust it is as true when it comes from the hoses mouth.The media is just an expensive version of the childhood game "telephone"maybe they call it something else in other countries the game where one kid whispers something into the next kids ear and it goes on down the line.What the first kid said and what the last kid said is never the same.

It's called 'Chinese Whispers' over here. :yep: And yes, yes, too true, you can see that in full fledge when Chinese news reports something from The Onion. :03:

Stealhead
04-17-13, 02:03 PM
It's called 'Chinese Whispers' over here. :yep: And yes, yes, too true, you can see that in full fledge when Chinese news reports something from The Onion. :03:

At this very moment on CNN they are sitting there making their excuse for the incorrect reports but not really admitting doing anything wrong.This one lady has the gall to think that the Feds use the media to send out "leaks" and conflicting information to help catch the person. Riiiiiiight.

What it is really caused by is an unclear statement from a "source" rather than wait to verify something the outlet will report it because they want to be first.

Of course the other media outlets are just as guilty CNN has numerous peers of CNN also has a Piers.Pun intended?:06:

Madox58
04-17-13, 02:08 PM
This one lady has the gal to think that the Feds use the media to send out "leaks" to help catch the person.
And that's what we want them to think!
http://xfinity.comcast.net/blogs/tv/files/2009/09/david-caruso-csi-miami.jpg

Jimbuna
04-17-13, 02:17 PM
Do not get too excited the part about a suspect being arrested is not correct they are just now saying this part is not correct only that that the FBI has found been able to Id a possible suspect they have been able to ID setting down items in video and photo footage.

So a person IDed as setting bags down not hwo it is and no one has been arrested.

Typical media flapping off tons of unconfirmed information that turns out moments later not to be correct.

A bit like GT then :)

Stealhead
04-17-13, 02:18 PM

Never in a million years sir!:D

Jimbuna
04-17-13, 02:20 PM
Never in a million years sir!:D

LOL :03:

Oberon
04-17-13, 02:23 PM
Charlie Brooker (a tv writer and presenter) has been tweeting some amusing quips about CNN at the moment:

"CNN is essentially just footage of reporters in the street staring in bewilderment at their iPhones right now."

"CNN just confirmed Thatcher's made a full recovery."

"Actually the Boston 'arrest' cockup is probably a good move for CNN. Turns it into a sort of 'mystery channel' where you guess what's true."

"CNN could relaunch as rolling '+1' channel where they explain what they reckon might happen precisely one hour from now."

Madox58
04-17-13, 02:39 PM
According to the Sun?
http://www.imagesyoulike.com/images/besta/32x24/d6050.jpg

It's time to take the glasses off.
http://www.marketvortex.net/images/david_caruso_sunglasses.jpg

Things are not what they seem, it seems.
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/iBFi5ak02HA/mqdefault.jpg

(Needed side look)
http://gossipextra.com/wp-content/themes/Magazine/thumb.php?src=http://gossipextra.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/csi_miami_cancelled1.jpg&w=250&h=180&zc=1&q=80&bid=1

Armistead
04-17-13, 02:43 PM

How dare you compare GT with CNN......or whatever.

CNN reports "Feds making great headway"

Madox58
04-17-13, 02:52 PM
CNN reports "Feds making great headway"
5 minutes from now?

CNN reports correction "Feds giving great head....................................'s up to reporters."

(Ya, that's pushing it and I deserve at lest a slap down. :haha:)

Ducimus
04-17-13, 02:54 PM
Sitting in class now and looking at a picture of two alleged suspects standing next to each other, both apparently on their cell phones. Both are wearing dark jackets and tan pants and boots (possibly BDU style? - hard to tell). Both are wearing large black backpacks. We'll have to wait for additional confirmation, though.

Source?

As an aside, generally speaking to nobody in particular, why post if your not going to include the link? :-?

nikimcbee
04-17-13, 03:00 PM
5 minutes from now?

CNN reports correction "Feds giving great head....................................'s up to reporters."

I'll just say, you've got the coolest sig.
And to keep Ducimus happy, here's my source:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYDyRVdmCuo

My daughter loves Buck.:haha:

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n12/privateer_2006/Stuff/Pal.jpg

keysersoze
04-17-13, 03:04 PM
Source?

As an aside, generally speaking to nobody in particular, why post if your not going to include the link? :-?

I would have given one if I could have. The prof. is a terrorism specialist and put together a 20 minute presentation of what we know about the Boston bombings at the beginning of his lecture today. He said that a cable producer of a major network sent it to him. It could turn out to be totally bogus, as he stressed, but it looks legitimate at first glance.

mapuc
04-17-13, 03:12 PM
When I saw the picture of the eight years old boy, I felt such an anger against the person or persons who did this.

Well I may not be the only one that are feeling that way and here it is very important that we act in a civilized way and give the suspect(s) a fair trial

Markus

Dowly
04-17-13, 03:28 PM
Source?

Think this' what he's talking about:
http://i.imgur.com/jCgAf8Y.jpg

Cybermat47
04-17-13, 03:33 PM

No you don't :haha:

Madox58
04-17-13, 03:33 PM
It's a 'Who got the latestes info" thread now it seems to me.
That's gonna have an effect here.
What with copy paste, he said she said, et al (Probably wrong spelling but that's Steve's area)

I want the SOB caught. That's all.
It's my nature to joke in situations and times like this.
It's my way of copeing with this type unknown.

Madox58
04-17-13, 03:44 PM
I'll just say, you've got the coolest sig.

I change it all the time just because I can.
:D

I think Buck should be in the next Ice Age!
:rock:

Madox58
04-17-13, 03:47 PM
No you don't :haha:
:har:
You just made the case to 'slap' me.
:haha:

Jimbuna
04-17-13, 04:08 PM
Behave yersel http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/8586/smacka1.gif

keysersoze
04-17-13, 04:28 PM
Think this' what he's talking about:
http://i.imgur.com/jCgAf8Y.jpg

Yes, that's what we were shown. Again, I have no idea whether it actually depicts the suspects/perpetrators, but I thought it was at least worth mentioning that authorities might have a clear image of their faces.

Stealhead
04-17-13, 05:04 PM
Yes, that's what we were shown. Again, I have no idea whether it actually depicts the suspects/perpetrators, but I thought it was at least worth mentioning that authorities might have a clear image of their faces.

Looks like speculation to me they only know that the bags where made of nylon and black and if you looked around at any public gathering or in a large city you'd likely find a dozen black nylon bags in less than fives minutes.

Like I said until it comes from the horses mouth it is all speculation.when the FBI comes and says "we are looking for these two men here" it is pure speculation.

The fact that your professor got his information from a media outlet certainly makes me question his expertise in counter terrorism.

Armistead
04-17-13, 05:10 PM
Source?

Channel 32 in my area.

Stealhead
04-17-13, 05:10 PM

Looks like speculation to me they only know that the bags where made of nylon and black and if you looked around at any public gathering or in a large city you'd likely find a dozen black nylon bags in less than fives minutes.

Like I said until it comes from the horses mouth it is all speculation.when the FBI comes and says "we are looking for these two men here" it is pure speculation.

Remember that we have no idea what photos/camera footage the FBI is actually looking at closely.

keysersoze
04-17-13, 06:37 PM

Agreed :up:

It's all speculation at this point. Perhaps I should not have even mentioned it.

The fact that your professor got his information from a media outlet certainly makes me question his expertise in counter terrorism.

At this point and when dealing with an unfolding event, we're all beholden to the inaccuracies of media outlets. He was quite clear that the photo was uncorroborated and should be taken with a grain of salt. That said, he is a fairly well-known name in the field and is currently employed by the USN and DoD to research targeting patterns for suicide terrorist attacks.

Stealhead
04-17-13, 07:24 PM
Agreed :up:

It's all speculation at this point. Perhaps I should not have even mentioned it.

He was quite clear that the photo was uncorroborated and should be taken with a grain of salt.

That was a key detail that you left out of your original post which made me question his expertise based on the information I originally had to formulate an opinion on.

keysersoze
04-17-13, 07:28 PM
That was a key detail that you left out of your original post which made me question his expertise based on the information I originally had to formulate an opinion on.

A fair point and I'm sorry about that. I typed it up very quickly as he transitioned from a mini-presentation on the bombing to his regular lecture. I should have double-checked the post and provided context.

Bilge_Rat
04-17-13, 07:57 PM
How about the both of you zip it.

How about you zip it.

geetrue
04-17-13, 07:59 PM
This is an apology from "The Wall Street Journal"

I wish all of the news agencies would have this much class: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323809304578428601821162728.html

U.S. NEWS Updated April 17, 2013, 7:44 p.m. ET

Corrections & Amplifications
The FBI and the Boston police department said no arrests have been made in the case.
An earlier version of this article said a suspect was in custody, citing an Associated Press report.

Did you ever play clue?

Somewhere out there in a smoke filled room, full of computers and phones, with a bulletin board,
a note is pinned to the board that says,

"boarded jet plane at Boston Logan headed for New York and on to his home country"

The Times Square bomber didn't make it ...
this man or duo may already have a head start :yep:

Platapus
04-17-13, 08:07 PM
The Times Square bomber didn't make it ...
this man or duo may already have a head start :yep:

They probably hopped on the subway and rode home.

Bubblehead1980
04-17-13, 09:16 PM

I was saying that it is disturbing the feds can bring in such a force and control such a section of a major US city.DHS has grown far beyond what it was intended to be, it is literally like a civilian army, regardless of political views, should bother everyone.

Tchocky
04-17-13, 09:25 PM
You're being silly, Bubblehead. Silly is a mild word for it.

The city already had a large police presence due to the Marathon. It's one of the biggest public events of the year in Boston, of not the biggest, and certainly the widest geographically. Hence, large presence of state city and federal law enforcement types.

But hey, I guess if they needed a place to house anyone stranded by the events, those FEMA camps sure would come in handy.

razark
04-17-13, 09:36 PM
If dealing with a terrorist attack is not the job of the Department of Homeland Security:

A. What is DHS's job; and
2. Whose job is it?

Bubblehead1980
04-17-13, 10:03 PM
If dealing with a terrorist attack is not the job of the Department of Homeland Security:

A. What is DHS's job; and
2. Whose job is it?

DHS's job was SUPPOSED to be to be centralized department at the federal level to assess, prevent, and respond to terrorist incidents since one of the failures of 9/11 was no "the buck stops here" the DHS has absorbed multiple departments and with 200,000 employees, thousands of armored vehicles, billions of round of ammo, they are a de facto Army.DHS are not supposed to be a de facto branch of the US military.The look a lot more like soldiers with humvees, armored vehicles, rifles, military gear etc The locals and state agencies are supposed to handle this as civillian law enforcement, DHS could assist but deploying their army, taking over a 12 block area.This should disturb everyone as it could(and likely will be) used in a negative manner sometime in the near future.Even if it never does, a duty as citizens is to be skeptical of the government and prevent it from having certain abilities, the feds doing this with their de facto civillian army is one thing.This affects us all!

Bubblehead1980
04-17-13, 10:05 PM
You're being silly, Bubblehead. Silly is a mild word for it.

The city already had a large police presence due to the Marathon. It's one of the biggest public events of the year in Boston, of not the biggest, and certainly the widest geographically. Hence, large presence of state city and federal law enforcement types.

But hey, I guess if they needed a place to house anyone stranded by the events, those FEMA camps sure would come in handy.

Again, nothing wrong with law enforcement presence but DHS is more like a de facto army as demonstrated by their tactical gear, rifles, armored vehicles etc.Looked like the equipment the military used to invade Iraq with. Why this does not upset you guys, other than you are far too trusting of the government, especially the people in charge currently.

vienna
04-17-13, 10:05 PM

Agreed. It should also be noted, since 9/11, it is now the norm, for very high profile, highly attended events, for the local LEOs to be augmented by at least a state-level presence such as state trooper, highway patrols, etc. For an event such as the Boston Maratthon, it would not be unusual to even see National Guard elements, as well. We just recently had a major marathon here in Los Angeles and there was LEOs from all over Southern California here to assist...

<O>

Stealhead
04-17-13, 10:14 PM
Looked like the equipment the military used to invade Iraq with.

Yeah short of GPMG,SAWS,disposable rockets,hand grenades,M203s and associated ammo,main battle tanks,attack helicopters,strike aircraft,aircraft carries and the Royal Army,Royal Marines,and Royal Air Force the armed forces of Australia and the Armed forces of Poland.

And everything else that an actual military armed force invading a country would consist of.

AndyJWest
04-17-13, 10:19 PM
^:rotfl2:

(P.S. It isn't the 'Royal Army' - if it is anyone's, it is Oliver Cromwell's)

Bubblehead1980
04-17-13, 10:21 PM
Yeah short of GPMG,SAWS,disposable rockets,hand grenades,M203s and associated ammo,main battle tanks,attack helicopters,strike aircraft,aircraft carries and the Royal Army,Royal Marines,and Royal Air Force the armed forces of Australia and the Armed forces of Poland.

And everything else that an actual military armed force invading a country would consist of.

Splitting hairs, trying to pivot.Nice try! DHS does not need to be in Army style gear, with rifles, APC's, Humvees. I am sure they have rocket launchers in their vehicles. I would not doubt they have attack helos, laws are supposed to prevent civilian aircraft from being armed but hey since when did the law mean anything to the current government right?

The whole point was, the feds have way more capability than they should.Show me real reason they can be trusted? Exactly, you can't.

AndyJWest
04-17-13, 10:29 PM
So now your paranoid rants are true unless we can prove otherwise...