PDA

View Full Version : Reloading saved games =CTD (Sometimes)

rudewarrior
06-07-11, 08:52 AM
Hi everyone,

The game runs quite stable on my machine. I have been doing some modding, so I suspect that is the issue.

Here is what is happening:

I get part way through the patrol, save and exit (I know the usual about not saving near ships, etc). When I go to reload the game, I will get a CTD. But if I roll back on all the saves and backups I have made, I will get a game that does load.

Since I suspect the mods that I have most recently been working on are the issue, I will obviously start there.

So ultimately, how do I troubleshoot this issue. If I strip mods out I think that would make it more unlikely to load, so I don't know how to troubleshoot it to see if I have nailed down which mod causes the problem.

Any advice?

VONHARRIS
06-07-11, 10:21 AM
I had the same problem with the mods.
In my case the answer was this : Do NOT save the game. Pause ,minimize it and let the PC on all the time. A bit harsh but it works and you don't lose any progress done in your career.
Don't forget to disable autoupdates for Windows becasue if they take place they will cause a restart.

Gerald
06-07-11, 10:27 AM
Yes,true :up:

Fish In The Water
06-07-11, 02:08 PM
So ultimately, how do I troubleshoot this issue. If I strip mods out I think that would make it more unlikely to load, so I don't know how to troubleshoot it to see if I have nailed down which mod causes the problem.

Any advice?

Having to deal with this issue is pretty much a given (once you start heavy modding). Sadly, we're basically talking a lot of trial and error as we seek to eliminate possibilities. In other words, it becomes a work in progress.

I've got my loads working error-free, but it took a while to get there. From my experience, the keys are to start by disabling the most memory intensive mods (one at a time) and then test for results.

Once you've eliminated these suspects, the next step is to try and eliminate any potential conflicts. This is where you might have to create a few custom 'mutant' mods by merging several together to avoid having them overwrite each others files.

(The other reason for this type of 'combining' is to reduce the chance of corrupt files by limiting the amount of 'copies' being executed by your mod enabler.)

Next, check for redundancies and try to avoid having multiple mods targeting the same aspects of gameplay.

If possible, apply fixes wherever applicable and generally try to streamline your mods to minimize potential side effects. I wish there was a magic wand solution but unfortunately it takes time to work through all the possible combinations.

One thing I will say is that (compared to most other games I've modded) SH3 is actually pretty forgiving. (I keep telling myself that whenever I'm working through a particularly thorny issue)...

It doesn't make me feel better, but it does help me stay determined to see it through to a successful resolution.

Here's hoping you're able to sort it out. Best of luck! :sunny:

rudewarrior
06-07-11, 02:46 PM
Here's hoping you're able to sort it out. Best of luck! :sunny:

Thanx for the encouraging reply. I have pretty much seen or done all of the stuff that you mentioned. This is also what I kind of expected in response. I couldn't think of a way to easily troubleshoot this issue, and I really didn't expect one. Plus I just gotta have ALL the mods! :D

I have just disabled and reenabled all the mods. I am going to play a patrol all the way through with plenty of saves, and then copy an reload one by one backwards to see if it ever becomes loadable again through the patrol saves.

Thanx for the help.

Fish In The Water
06-08-11, 12:42 PM
Thanx for the help.

You're welcome, wish I could do more... :hmmm:

fitzcarraldo
06-08-11, 01:09 PM
I have a heavy mod loaded SH3 GWX and I havenīt problems witn the saves.

My tips:

- Ever Save files, not "Save and Exit". This option causes more CTDs. I save the campaign and after "return to base". When I load the campaign, I select "In mission" file. No CTD.

- Eliminate the SH3Weather program, if you have it. The program is an oldie and causes CTD when saving missions/campaigns.

- Save the campaign in navigation, in surface, not in battle.

- If you make some change in the mods after save (including simple mods as uniforms), probably you will have a CTD.

- Ever (Ever!), if you use SH3Commander, press the button of "recuperation" (the circle arrow), previous to close the program.

Really I havenīt CTDs saving campaigns, but EVER I save the files in open ocean and surface. Not under attack or attacking.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo :salute:

rudewarrior
06-10-11, 02:51 PM
I have a heavy mod loaded SH3 GWX...

I know. Your mod lists that you post every once in a while have been the inspiration for my collection of mods. :03:

Thanx for all the help, I believe it is fixed now. I am trying to run through a career now, and we will see how it goes.

Thanx again for all the help guys!

Fish In The Water
06-10-11, 03:04 PM
Thanx for all the help, I believe it is fixed now. I am trying to run through a career now, and we will see how it goes.

Good luck, hope it's clear sailing! :yep:

rudewarrior
07-08-11, 10:47 PM
Well, I can't seem to find the issue, even after taking a pretty hard look at it. I'm posting my mods list here to see if any of the talented modding experts can spot anything that might cause this kind of conflict. Let me know what you think. Thanx in advance.

00_GWX - 16km Atmosphere
00_GWX - Open Hatch Mod
01_Rbs1_SH4_Effects_GWX_30_71
02_LifeBoats&Debris_v4
03_Rbs2withbuoyance
04_Wooden_Lifeboats_Mod_1.1
05_Wilhemshafen,St Naz,Schluese and xtra ships V6
06_GWX_DFa-Flag&Pens_2010
07_FM30_UpDown_final
08_FM_NewInterior_V1.0
09_Thomsen's Sound Pack V3.2cg
10_BritishAsdicMkIFinal
11_Depthcharge Shake v2.01
12_Urfischs_ModStrike_Beta1
13_Waterstream+Exhaust Combi V2.3 for GWX3
14_New Uboat Guns 1.2
15_WAC4.1 SubPen_animated_18.02.2010
16_Unofficial_rockets_fix_GWX3.0
17_No continuous 'Ship spotted' V1.2 for GWX3 and Rubinis RocketFix
18_Aces' Multimod compatability fix release v1.3 public beta
19_Aces' Super Turms v6 for GWX
20_Aces' Super Turms v6 Damo's Type 7 Atmospheric Interior lighting add-on
21_Aces' Repositioned 105 mm Gun on Types 9b and 9c plus New Type 9b Deck Railings
22_MaGui F
23_CT_FM_NI_Fix_for_MaGui F
24_ST7_Aces' MaGUI v3.4 (Non-Widescreen version) add-on v3 for Super Turms 5+ & Multimod compatability Fix v1.3
25_Merchant_Fleet_Mod_3.2
MaG_blue recmanual for MaGui F
MaG_German Images for MaGui F
MaG_h.sie's Colored Hull Integrity Indicator
MaG_optional-ALTERNATIVE SCOPES with speedlines stopwatch for MaGui F
MaG_RED Filters on Scopes+Binoculars for MaGui F
AUD_Das Boot Sound Mod + No Ring Ring
AUD_Destroyers&Corvette
AUD_Diesel Startup Sequence for FM Engine Room
AUD_Real Depth Charge
LSH3_V5.1_ENV_MEP2a-Dark-Nights
LSH3_V5.1_ENV_MEP2b-FSF-for-Dark-Nights
UNI_Aces Hi Res Uniforms and Medals Mk 2
UNI1_Evan82's Uniforms II
END_63MBinSound
END_Aces' St.Nazaire Super Pens v5.1 GWX Version
END_B25_Deck_Crew_Ambient
END_b25_Grass_+Carotio_SF_v2
END_b25_Louder_Diesels_Louder
END_BMW-R75 v.1 by TP
END_Combat Radio Frequency
END_Commands
END_Derzeitige Tiefe
END_Elite U-boat Binoculars
END_Flags_enlighten
END_Foam
END_Gramophone
END_h.sie SH3 Patch
END_Haunting Atlantic Wind
END_Ice Age
END_Karle's_Crash_Dive_Mod
END_New_clearsky_clouds
END_OLC's Modified Searchlight Beams for GWX3
END_Pascal_Port_People
END_Q Ship mod GWX3.0 + Real Plot and RecM
END_Radio Log
END_Rapt0r's Das Boot Interior
END_Rapt0r's Instruments V3.5+Dönitz Fly
END_Realistic Plotting
END_Res Fix
END_Ricks_GWX_Rec_Man_Final
END_Sobers 3D Waves
END_Sub Image mod
END_Subphones
END_TheDarkWraith_DC_Water_Disturbance_v4_0_SH3
END_TheDarkWraith_Ejecting_Pilot(s)_v2_0_SH3
END_TheDarkWraith_Ship_Plane_Fire_Damage_v1_4_SH3
END_TiefeMkI(German)
END_Torpedo damage Final ver2.0
END_Torpedo_HAHD_1024_GWX
END_WB's Deck Gun Range
END_WB's Decks Awash + Fuel Economy
END_Weather
SH3 Cmdr_Compulsory U-boat Headdress
SH3 Cmdr_GWX Files
SH3 Cmdr_MFM Skins
SH3 Cmdr_Radio Room Photo Randomizer
SH3 Cmdr_Random Intro Screen
SH3 Cmdr_Ship Names 0411
SH3 Cmdr1_Random Q Ship Mod
SH3 Cmdr1_WBNN Warning Orders

VONHARRIS
07-09-11, 01:55 PM
END_TheDarkWraith_DC_Water_Disturbance_v4_0_SH3

I am not an expert but this particular mod is known for causing CTDs. I have never used it so I don't have personal experience.
I suggest you to disable the mod and try to load a game. If it works then OK , else ...... well I don't know

Good luck.

Paulski
07-09-11, 02:05 PM
Recently I have been having CTD's on reload a LOT. Even now that I save to 2 different save files during mission (I save from time to time, and alternate between those two), today was the 3rd time witin a month that I can't continue my career on the 1st patrol...

I run GWX with these mods enabled:

GWX - 16km Atmosphere
GWX - Enhanced Damage Effects
GWX - Lite Harbor Traffic
GWX - Main Movie - 'Das Boot'
GWX - No Medals on Crew
Flags_enlighten
Lifeboats&Debris_v4
GWX - Open Hatch Mod
GWX - Alternate Loadscreen - Full Circle
Supplement to V15F3 (JSGME)
GWX Gold Bino Mod
Bad Weather Fix V1.1 (Standard)
WB's Mission Orders Lite
The DarkWraith_DC_Water_Disturbance_v4_0_SH3

I'm really getting tired if it now, and don't enjoy playing anymore because I constantly feel I will lose my data anyway :(

Edit:

Can't believe I haven't seen the post before mine :oops::oops::oops::oops:

Will try turning that mod off then...

frau kaleun
07-09-11, 03:11 PM
Recently I have been having CTD's on reload a LOT. Even now that I save to 2 different save files during mission (I save from time to time, and alternate between those two), today was the 3rd time witin a month that I can't continue my career on the 1st patrol...

I run GWX with these mods enabled:

GWX - 16km Atmosphere
GWX - Enhanced Damage Effects
GWX - Lite Harbor Traffic
GWX - Main Movie - 'Das Boot'
GWX - No Medals on Crew
Flags_enlighten
Lifeboats&Debris_v4
GWX - Open Hatch Mod
GWX - Alternate Loadscreen - Full Circle
Supplement to V15F3 (JSGME)
GWX Gold Bino Mod
Bad Weather Fix V1.1 (Standard)
WB's Mission Orders Lite
The DarkWraith_DC_Water_Disturbance_v4_0_SH3

I'm really getting tired if it now, and don't enjoy playing anymore because I constantly feel I will lose my data anyway :(

Edit:

Can't believe I haven't seen the post before mine :oops::oops::oops::oops:

Will try turning that mod off then...

Yep, that mod is known to cause issues. Whatever it does seems to cause corrupted saves once it does it - after that any save you make is likely to give you problems.

Paulski
07-09-11, 03:32 PM
Have tried loading after disabling that mod, but still no luck. Will start a new career though, I think I'll go Mediterranean this time :arrgh!:

frau kaleun
07-09-11, 03:33 PM
Have tried loading after disabling that mod, but still no luck. Will start a new career though, I think I'll go Mediterranean this time :arrgh!:

Well, if your saves were corrupted just disabling the mod won't help - the damage was already done when the relevant files were created. But disabling it should cause you to see fewer problems in the future if that was the only culprit.

Paulski
07-09-11, 03:38 PM
Yeah, that's what I expected, but I still wanted to try :D

(Hmm, maybe that's why my girlfriend calls me stubborn... :p )

rudewarrior
07-10-11, 04:29 PM
Well, TheDarkWraith_DC_Water_Disturbance_v4_0_SH3 was the problem. Or at least it appears to be. Ran 3/4 of a mission, quit and reload. No issues. Pretty much guaranteed a crash before.

Looks like smooth sailing now. :sunny:

Fish In The Water
07-10-11, 09:25 PM

Hope so, enjoy! :sunny:

Magic1111
07-11-11, 04:58 AM
Well, TheDarkWraith_DC_Water_Disturbance_v4_0_SH3 was the problem. Or at least it appears to be. Ran 3/4 of a mission, quit and reload. No issues. Pretty much guaranteed a crash before.

Yes, I can confirm this ! With the MOD "TheDarkWraith_DC_Water_Disturbance_v4_0_SH3" enabled, I canīt load ANY Savegame, NO CHANCE !

For this reason I disable and delete the MOD from TDW and then works perfect, no problems with load a savegame anymore!

Best regards,
Magic

Fish In The Water
07-11-11, 08:47 PM
Yes, I can confirm this ! With the MOD "TheDarkWraith_DC_Water_Disturbance_v4_0_SH3" enabled, I canīt load ANY Savegame, NO CHANCE !

Exact same thing happened to me. Clear sailing since removal. :sunny:

Magic1111
07-12-11, 02:07 AM
Exact same thing happened to me. Clear sailing since removal. :sunny:

Good Hunting !!! :arrgh!: