PDA

View Full Version : SH5 Wins DRM loses

marleymen
01-09-11, 01:27 AM
Now that Ubisoft has leaved DRM required online connection for SH5 we need you talented modders from SH4 and SH3 to join the cause. *

SH5 can be THE SIM. A good year to hope. Come and join us.

:arrgh!:

*those who refused to buy because of that DRM

Zedi
01-09-11, 03:49 AM
Erm... what? DRM is still alive and kicking and even if it will be removed, the SH3 moders will still stay away from SH5 and keep moding the ancient SH3 forever.

arnahud2
01-09-11, 04:35 AM
SH5 can be THE SIM.

SH5 COULD be the sim, if...

Sailor Steve
01-09-11, 09:33 AM
Erm... what? DRM is still alive and kicking and even if it will be removed, the SH3 moders will still stay away from SH5 and keep moding the ancient SH3 forever.
That's not true. Several modders have looked into SH5, but until some severe problems have been overcome (such as the inability to import ships into SH5) there isn't much point.

Kongo Otto
01-09-11, 09:43 AM
That's not true. Several modders have looked into SH5, but until some severe problems have been overcome (such as the inability to import ships into SH5) there isn't much point.

Well Sailor Steve that might be the future, the games become DRM
AND are unmoddable, so we have to eat what we get. :cry:

marleymen
01-09-11, 11:35 AM
Keep a little of faith and hope in this new 2011. That DRM news are good news. Still working @Magnum, thatīs true but Ubi will no longer use it. Letīs wait a patch for it.

@Sailor Steve, letīs have a little of faith in @privateer or another modders who can help importing new models to game.

The most important, you good modders from SH3&4 ... join the cause (SH5). Itīs getting better :arrgh!:

Sailor Steve
01-10-11, 12:34 AM
@Sailor Steve, letīs have a little of faith in @privateer or another modders who can help importing new models to game.
I don't need faith. I know him personally and I know what he's doing. But I wasn't speaking for myself. What I addressed was the challenge for SH3 and SH4 modders to come to SH5, and I merely pointed out that until the problems are actually fixed there's not much most of them can do.

Once the problems are solved (and I do indeed have faith that they eventually will be) you will see more people working on SH5. But as I said, until that happens there isn't much point.

Zedi
01-10-11, 02:00 AM
There is a point to come over because is a lot of stuff to do but this will not happen. Not now, not later. See Makman and his "I will not fix their failure" motivation and like him there is many more. Still moding a 10 year old game and fixing the already fixed things looks ridiculous to me, no offence.

But with SH5 there is also a generation change and young blood who love challenges, like TWD, will prevail.. sadly, is not more like him atm. Because what SH5 need now, is a team of moders. No matter how genius one can be, working on multiple direction will never give out a quality result.

Sailor Steve
01-10-11, 12:17 PM
There is a point to come over because is a lot of stuff to do but this will not happen. Not now, not later. See Makman and his "I will not fix their failure" motivation and like him there is many more. Still moding a 10 year old game and fixing the already fixed things looks ridiculous to me, no offence.
Makman is one person, and as any statistician will tell you, once is not a trend. As to fixing an old game, no one has done that for a long time. People are busy making new things for it, and they're having fun.

But with SH5 there is also a generation change and young blood who love challenges, like TWD, will prevail.. sadly, is not more like him atm. Because what SH5 need now, is a team of moders. No matter how genius one can be, working on multiple direction will never give out a quality result.
TheDarkWraith is a generation change? :rotfl2: He is one of the older (in terms of when he started doing it) modders around here, and was very much into SH3. Also, if you read his own comments, he is finding himself very limited in what he can actually do; and if he can't do a lot of it what chance do lesser lights have? Again, no point.

Lets take Iambecomelife. He worked for years (and I mean that literally) working up his Merchant Fleet Mod Pack. But he can't do the same for SH5, because SH5 won't allow ships to be imported in. Could he create new ships for SH5? I don't know the answer to that one, but the very fact that the game is so unfinished in terms of available u-boats and career options makes it difficult to even be interested.

Lets take Makman. Why would he, and people like him, be "stuck" in an older game and unwilling to come into the present. Could it be because they don't like the idea of, rather than being able to add cool new stuff to a cool new game, being asked to spend their time finishing what should have been finished out of the box.

Lets take me. I don't consider myself a genuine modder, in the sense that I've done very little in the way of creating new graphics or new sounds, but I did spend a lot of hours converting the old SH2 Das Boot Sound Mod for SH3 and SH4. Winklemander has done his own mod with the same name for SH5, and by all accounts he's done an outstanding job. I also spend a majority of my day researching and collating merchant ship names and stats for my SH3 Ship Names Mod. I would gladly do it for SH4, but that game doesn't give names to sunk ships, so there's no point. Does SH5 give names to ships? No one has ever said. I'll find out when the DRM is gone and I have the game, and if it does you can bet I'll be applying all my work to the "new" game, so your challenges mean nothing to me.

Now lets take you. If you really want SH5 improved so much, have you considered learning to mod yourself? That's exactly what Ducimus did, and look at how much he's accomplished. If so, the future awaits. If not, you really have no business criticizing others for not doing what you won't do yourself

What about SH5? Yes, it's prettier than its forbears. No one disagrees with that. But is it really better? Is it really the future? I'd like to think so, and I've said as much on more than one occasion. Unfortunately, it isn't there yet, and while mods have helped ease the pain, the fact is that it needs more than mods. It needs to be fixed from the inside, and most modders feel that is not their job.

So we continue to fiddle with SH3 and SH4 and wait for the people with actual programming skills to do what they can, and hope that it will be enough.

Zedi
01-10-11, 12:40 PM
TheDarkWraith is a generation change? :rotfl2: He is one of the older (in terms of when he started doing it) modders around here, and was very much into SH3.

Erm... is not about age nor activity period, but thinking. He dont cry and care about how much problems are with the game, he's just pushing things forward and most of all.. he dont give up. After Privateer will finish his breaktrough, wonder how many moders will come over.. actually Im sure there will be none. More than that, I bet they will mod SH3 for another 10 years or more.

And about me, I already stretched my limits with ERMe and the extended SH5 campaign. Trust me, if I would have at least a basic training/knowledge in the field of programming, I would race TDW in moding. Like many others around here, I'm sure. Actually Im very sad and even furious that everything I would love to mod in this game is 99.99% related to programming skills :/

TheDarkWraith
01-10-11, 12:46 PM
I also spend a majority of my day researching and collating merchant ship names and stats for my SH3 Ship Names Mod. I would gladly do it for SH4, but that game doesn't give names to sunk ships, so there's no point. Does SH5 give names to ships? No one has ever said.

SH5 doesn't but I do :D The UIs mod attaches a ship name to every contact in the game (picks randomly from a list of names). I would love to expand the limited ship names I have currently (maybe around 100) to something in the order of 1000s :yep:

TheDarkWraith
01-10-11, 12:58 PM
Actually Im very sad and even furious that everything I would love to mod in this game is 99.99% related to programming skills :/

Everyone should have a basic understanding of programming, it's essential in today's electronic world. My dad got me interested in computers at 8. That was the spark I needed and it took off like a wild fire. I read just about any book I can get my hands on dealing with programming languages, DirectX, game engine design, and hacking.

When it was announced that SH5 was going to use a version of Python to allow scripting possibilities I knew that I needed to learn Python (never had an interest in it before). So I went down to Barnes & Noble and bought some books and began reading and learning. After a couple of months I was ready for SH5. I went from 0% knowledge of Python to my current ability from those books and just experimenting with writing programs in Python.

Maybe it's time you start reading? Programming opens up a whole new world to you. When you get really good at it you can make software do whatever you want it to do. The 'chips' in most electronic toys/devices contain firmware. Firmware is nothing more than software stored on the chip in the device/toy. With some special tools and clever thinking one can extract/manipulate/change the firmware and put it back into the chip to make the device/toy do things it was never intended/thought. Your blue ray players and cable boxes are usually running a linux type OS in them. What does that mean? That means software is controlling what you can and can't see, the menus displayed on your screens, etc. One can thus manipulate this not very easily but the point is it can be done.

Go pick up Python Programming Second Edition for the absolute beginner by Michael Dawson. That was the first book I read to start learning about Python and it was a GREAT book :up:

BigBANGtheory
01-10-11, 01:01 PM
@Sailor Steve : What do you see as being the most severe problems with SH5 atm?

Zedi
01-10-11, 01:38 PM
Maybe it's time you start reading? ...

I love SH5, but not that much. I know that once you get the basics, the rest is easy, was the same for me learning CSS and some easy php. But also, there must be some kinda attraction towards programming, stuff like forgetting 2 add a simple ; at the end of a line will crash a whole software it makes me very angry :DL

Im just curious, is just me or SH5 is really harder to mod than SH3?

TheDarkWraith
01-10-11, 01:45 PM
I love SH5, but not that much. I know that once you get the basics, the rest is easy, was the same for me learning CSS and some easy php. But also, there must be some kinda attraction towards programming, stuff like forgetting 2 add a simple ; at the end of a line will crash a whole software it makes me very angry :DL

Im just curious, is just me or SH5 is really harder to mod than SH3?

In some respects it's the same. Overall it's a lot more complicated to someone who isn't familiar with programming of any level. Take for instance the ScriptManager. It's a wealth of knowledge to me but to someone else it means nothing, probably is even greek to them. Parameters? Types? Events? :doh: Those terms I know exactly what they mean and how to interpret/use them but to someone else they'll have absolutely no clue. Knowledge of C++ will get you very far with modding this game. Python though is the key if you want to develop scripts and create new items/extend the game.

marleymen
01-10-11, 03:49 PM
Everyone should have a basic understanding of programming, it's essential in today's electronic world. My dad got me interested in computers at 8. That was the spark I needed and it took off like a wild fire. I read just about any book I can get my hands on dealing with programming languages, DirectX, game engine design, and hacking.

When it was announced that SH5 was going to use a version of Python to allow scripting possibilities I knew that I needed to learn Python (never had an interest in it before). So I went down to Barnes & Noble and bought some books and began reading and learning. After a couple of months I was ready for SH5. I went from 0% knowledge of Python to my current ability from those books and just experimenting with writing programs in Python.

Maybe it's time you start reading? Programming opens up a whole new world to you. When you get really good at it you can make software do whatever you want it to do. The 'chips' in most electronic toys/devices contain firmware. Firmware is nothing more than software stored on the chip in the device/toy. With some special tools and clever thinking one can extract/manipulate/change the firmware and put it back into the chip to make the device/toy do things it was never intended/thought. Your blue ray players and cable boxes are usually running a linux type OS in them. What does that mean? That means software is controlling what you can and can't see, the menus displayed on your screens, etc. One can thus manipulate this not very easily but the point is it can be done.

Go pick up Python Programming Second Edition for the absolute beginner by Michael Dawson. That was the first book I read to start learning about Python and it was a GREAT book :up:

Itīs a pleasure read those kind of words. What about recycling a poor Java programmer into a Python expert? Could I? :rotfl2:

I will start that book you recommended TDW. EVerything I could help is a good help.

TheDarkWraith
01-10-11, 03:51 PM
Itīs a pleasure read those kind of words. What about recycling a poor Java programmer into a Python expert? Could I? :rotfl2:

I will start that book you recommended TDW. EVerything I could help is a good help.

You'll notice that Java is a lot like Python. Python even has classes! This version of Python has access to the .NET framework and can even make calls into DirectX :rock:

marleymen
01-10-11, 03:54 PM
I started learning python to program for my Nokia 5800 some apps. Then I quit and started with QT. Now I was busy with that, but I can retry with python and help a little. Not good skill, but sure will have some ideas. The idea sometimes is the most difficult to write in an program.

@TDW you have a message, Sir.

THE_MASK
01-10-11, 09:11 PM

The problem is , i could read the entire internet and still be an idiot .

Madox58
01-10-11, 09:22 PM
99.99% is not just programming for SH5
Re-learning how 3D Models are done is very important for SH5.
The old school way don't fly no more.

Ducimus
01-10-11, 11:26 PM
Now that Ubisoft has leaved DRM required online connection for SH5 we need you talented modders from SH4 and SH3 to join the cause. *

SH5 can be THE SIM. A good year to hope. Come and join us.

:arrgh!:

*those who refused to buy because of that DRM

Speaking just for myself, as the DRM goes, it wasn't the constant connection requirement that irritated me. It was having that DRM there at all, because it really lengthens the time it takes to go from the desktop, to in game. Your typical modder is restarting the game a lot, because 99% of the time you can't make tweaks to the game files while the games running, and very rarely do you get it right the first time.