PDA

View Full Version : help with triggers please!!!

fvd
03-14-08, 04:30 PM
Hi,

I'm making a new mission (hope to share it with you in a couple of days).
But i need some explaining about triggers.
I made a map zone, once you enter this zone you should receive a radio message.
The window of the trigger for this message has got some options i don't understand and don't find any info about.
-Area Presence: here you can choose between "NotContinuous" and "Continuous"
What is this?
And second:
-Patrol time (min): here you can enter a value in minutes.

I assume it has something to do with the mapzone, but what exactly?

Thanks already!
Regards,
fvd

peabody
03-15-08, 08:58 PM
Hi,

I'm making a new mission (hope to share it with you in a couple of days).
But i need some explaining about triggers.
I made a map zone, once you enter this zone you should receive a radio message.
The window of the trigger for this message has got some options i don't understand and don't find any info about.
-Area Presence: here you can choose between "NotContinuous" and "Continuous"
What is this?
And second:
-Patrol time (min): here you can enter a value in minutes.

I assume it has something to do with the mapzone, but what exactly?

Thanks already!
Regards,
fvd
Apparently you set the zone up as a Patrol Area? If you only wanted to set up to recieve a message, I think it should have been "enter Zone". But I am new to this. Anyway if you meant to set it as a Patrol Area then the player must stay in the zone for "Patrol time" minutes for it to be a complete mission. If they leave before the time you set, the mission is incomplete.

I think the Continuous means if the player leaves the zone, which they won't know how big it is unless your message tells them, the time will start over when the re-enter the zone. I think by not continuous, they can leave to chase a bad guy and when they come back only have to finish the amount of time left. for example if you set 60 minutes and in 59 minutes I leave to attack a merchant, when I re-enter the zone I only have to do 1 more minute to complete the mission. But on continuous I would have to do 60 minutes over again. If I leave before the 60 minutes and don't come back the mission is incomplete.

That's the way I understand it but that doesn't make it right.

I'm working on a mission right now which I don't think will ever work the way I want it to, so good luck with yours.

Peabody

fvd
03-16-08, 06:29 AM
Apparently you set the zone up as a Patrol Area? If you only wanted to set up to recieve a message, I think it should have been "enter Zone". But I am new to this. Anyway if you meant to set it as a Patrol Area then the player must stay in the zone for "Patrol time" minutes for it to be a complete mission. If they leave before the time you set, the mission is incomplete.

I think the Continuous means if the player leaves the zone, which they won't know how big it is unless your message tells them, the time will start over when the re-enter the zone. I think by not continuous, they can leave to chase a bad guy and when they come back only have to finish the amount of time left. for example if you set 60 minutes and in 59 minutes I leave to attack a merchant, when I re-enter the zone I only have to do 1 more minute to complete the mission. But on continuous I would have to do 60 minutes over again. If I leave before the 60 minutes and don't come back the mission is incomplete.

That's the way I understand it but that doesn't make it right.

I'm working on a mission right now which I don't think will ever work the way I want it to, so good luck with yours.

Peabody

Hi Peabody,

Thanks for the respons.
I don't think you can choose what kind of map zone you make, it's just a map zone without any options to choose (except for the radius and height).
Or am i wrong?

Regards,
fvd

peabody
03-16-08, 08:56 PM
Hi Peabody,

Thanks for the respons.
I don't think you can choose what kind of map zone you make, it's just a map zone without any options to choose (except for the radius and height).
Or am i wrong?

Regards,
fvd
I guess I worded that wrong, yes a zone is a zone. But it is the trigger part that I was getting at. If you look at the first choice in Triggers it is "ReachZone" so if you just want a message to appear then that is all you need. The last choice in the list is "Patrol Area" and that is the screen you were asking questions about. In order to get a "Patrol Area" you can set one up using a zone which is what I think you are doing in order to get that screen you were asking about. That gives you a zone to patrol. So, it basically becomes a Patrol Area zone, even though it is still just a mapzone.

You can set a zone and then set a trigger to do anything a trigger is capable of just by using the "reachzone". That way when someone enters the zone it processes the trigger. I didn't mean to say there were different zones. But a zone can be used in different ways. One example you may have seen in the game. A star with a flag, it appears to me to use a "ReachZone" as a trigger to trigger the event "Update Objective" Once you reach the zone then it tells you what to do there.
The Patrol Area is just a differnt trigger for the same zone.

You could make a zone in Tokyo and when someone enters it send them a message "sorry I wanted you to go to Toledo not Tokyo"

But you are right a zone is just a zone, but once you set a trigger for it, then it kind of become a specific kind of zone.

Sorry if I confused you, when you were looking for help.

Peabody