PDA

View Full Version : Taking a break

bigboywooly
05-21-07, 12:30 PM
Well this forum has become a nightmare lately
Not the SH3 mods but in general
Yeah I know SH4 sucks and they all hate it theres not another patch but its open season on anything SH3 and especially GWX

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=541635&postcount=14

And thats in the SH4 forum
What are we not allowed to play SH4
Or comment on our own back ?

So I think a retirement is in order
Permanent ?
Maybe
Certainly more destructive than constructive in here at the moment

I have GWX 1.04 to work on and all this BS dont help

Jimbuna
05-21-07, 01:04 PM
The crew are being mustered over at The Den....a roll call will be taken. After all, time is needed to reprovision the ship.
The question is....who will feed the rest of the GWX navy in the interim ? :hmm:

Hitman
05-21-07, 01:28 PM

Now that's what many people were expecting to read:up: I'm sorry you are currently fed up, yet I'm happy you still think positively in terms of going back to the GWX development. Have a rest and you'll see things differently:up:

vanjast
05-21-07, 02:09 PM
You shouldn't let peoples opinions dissuade from what you want to do. Everybody likes different things and what one does is not going to suite everyone - who cares.

All the Modders have made the game what it is today. The only stumbling block lately seems to be UBI itself, but this is just heresay at the moment - we'll see.

:up:

Mush Martin
05-21-07, 02:31 PM

Concur:up:

Thanks for all I cant say how much your presence molded my time
here at ss but it amounts to a lot. Rest up and come back anytime BBW.

MM:up::up::up:

nikbear
05-21-07, 03:29 PM
I wouldn't let a few idiots worry you and stand in the way of you doing what you enjoy and what you are good at,Sod'em, for every one fool who makes you think twice,think of the many who you've helped and the wonderful times you've given to people through your mods and with your work with GWX:yep: I find alot of carping comes from jealousy and ignorance,remember its easy to be destructive,any fool can do that,but it takes genuine talent to be creative;) and if thats a problem for them then tuff,sod'em:yep:

JU_88
05-21-07, 04:53 PM
Yeah the mood in here has been getting ugly thanks to angry mobs and sour grapes, I agree with BBW 100%
All this negative BS does nothing to encourage UBI to make more patches or subsims period! and the politics is seriously scaring modders off.
If the bitching continues then pretty soon there will be no more Silent hunters or supermods left to bitch about.

You reap what you sow :stare:

Vader 1
05-21-07, 06:21 PM
I appreciate all you and all the modders have done for....oh ya ....FREE...hello. If you can't be polite don't post that simple...You can disagree but be respectful...I just don't follow ragging on yourself and others that try to make the game better
Thanks again
Vader

Dowly
05-21-07, 06:29 PM
I appreciate all you and all the modders have done for....oh ya ....FREE...hello. If you can't be polite don't post that simple...You can disagree but be respectful...I just don't follow ragging on yourself and others that try to make the game better
Thanks again
Vader

Sometimes it's hard to be polite if the other one keeps on attacking. ;)

Samwolf
05-21-07, 06:54 PM
I know I'll miss your informative posts, hopefully this won't be permanent.

Don't let the bastards wear you down

iambecomelife
05-21-07, 08:32 PM
Yeah I know SH4 sucks and they all hate it theres not another patch but its open season on anything SH3 and especially GWX

Permanent ?
Maybe

I hope you change your mind. ATM subsims aren't the most popular PC titles, and we need every decent modder & organizer we can get. I really don't want to see an already small modding community get even smaller (& lose a vital member at the same time). Again, for every coward who posts destructive criticism there are many dozens of people who quietly enjoy your work. Even if you don't hear from them as often as you should, please reconsider.

stabiz
05-21-07, 09:32 PM
Bah, I hear you BigBoy.

This forum is going down the drain, and much of it is because of moderators lack of response to baiting IMO.

Jealous idiots all over the place.

Its almost sad to recall the Happy Times, when this was the best place on the web.

Reece
05-21-07, 10:25 PM
Well I'm having a blast BBW, I just try to ignore all the mud slinging threads & get on with it!!!:up:

This forum is going down the drain
Try not to be baited, if we all ignore these threads (don't post) then they will die out, as long as someone bites, those fishing will continue.;)

The Onkel must be chewing his nails by now, mind you I haven't heard much from him of late, maybe he's on holidays!!:D
Gee, if all the good people left Subsim, what would be left!:roll:

Mush Martin
05-22-07, 05:52 AM
I know that previously you have mentioned how two years of intense modding
have worn thin and worn out and I feel that is one thing. but to withdraw in
disgust that is another.

I as a modder am indebted to you as my primary teacher. (AEM,Uber,MBFL)
I as a player am indebted to you as one of the fulfillers of my dream.(River)

plus showing me my way around FF and photobucket and SS itself.

My naivte' doesnt seem to allow me to completely understand most of the
issues, I have remained under the impression that my mods as public domain
Freeware mods arent really owned by me. and that after release there
pretty much anybodies to go at. polite maybe to inform and ask the creator
but not illegal not to I think, and in that maybe im wrong I dont know but
I believe still, that even if I dont agree with where someone takes one of
my mods its still not anything I can do anything about. to my mind this
is the price of Free modding. and given the price of Fuel these days
I would like to preserve the Free part of Free modding. so I dont mind when someone takes the idea for auto evasive maneuvers and makes one of there own with deeper cuts and built in loops and properly painted buttons.

IMO the situations and the counter responses have a lot more to do with
egos and professional jealousy than they do with improving the mod communty , all sides.

I do mind when the landscape of the free environment is being altered for
the worse, I feel your withdrawal was somewhat inevitable under the circumstances but to reitterate your leaving in disgust is a bit of a
tragedy for the community at large.

I Feel that the recent trend of contentious withdrawals has up to this thread meant that subsim was losing talented modders.
I Feel that as of this thread subsim is starting to lose its virtues.

Regards BBW and thanks again for all
MM

Woof1701
05-22-07, 06:05 AM
Not you as well. It's bad enough that JCWolf decided to quit. Unfortunately there are always a few idiots around to spoil everything. However, I never found that the SH3 Mod Forum was affected very much by the ranting. The SH4 forums are worse anyway, and as was said before: those ranting idiots will be away sooner or later anyway because they get bored or feel ignored and misunderstood. I know of one example who has quit here and decided to harass the German UBI Forum instead. :yep:

Hope you change your mind. We need you here. Not only for GWX.

Best regards

thehiredgun
06-14-07, 10:17 AM
Because of big boy woolly,mush Martin,Jimbuna & several others i stayed with SH-3 with no regrets & so much appreciation ! Because of disabilitys i am very limited as to my recreation, this SH-3 has filled a gap like you would'nt believe !!! . I thank all who have helped me with various problems & with special thanks to Mush martin for my addiction to the uberboat !

Jimbuna
06-15-07, 05:41 AM
Because of big boy woolly,mush Martin,Jimbuna & several others i stayed with SH-3 with no regrets & so much appreciation ! Because of disabilitys i am very limited as to my recreation, this SH-3 has filled a gap like you would'nt believe !!! . I thank all who have helped me with various problems & with special thanks to Mush martin for my addiction to the uberboat !

Thank you sir....that is very gratifying....any time I can be of service, you are most welcome :up:

Mush Martin
06-15-07, 11:04 AM

:|\\oh stop your making me blush.

Growler
06-15-07, 12:52 PM
I don't know if it's just me, or maybe others have observed this, too.

I've been on a lot of boards... more than is healthy, prolly. One thing that's common in all of them is that I just plain don't agree with some folks there.

But no matter how reasoned the argument, or how considered the discussion, the simple truth remains: Nothing I, or he, or she types is going to change someone else's mind when it comes down to staunchly-held feelings or beliefs.

Another observation: Many of the posters on many boards use those boards as their "rant toilets". This is where they show up to vomit up all their dissapointment with whatever game the board's about. Their very presence is an irritation to those who feel differently about the same game.

Lastly: Sometimes, even the good people have bad days, and their posts become unintentionally hurtful. It can be a right pain in the arse to interpret some people's posts for meaning.

Look, I don't know BBW or this other poster who was so hostile towards GWX, so I can't say more than this: That other guy had a pretty decent post-count, far more than I, so he's been around awhile. I don't know if all of his posts were combative, and I can't be arsed to find out atm. I do know that BBW has contributed a lot to this community, and so by extension, to me personally, as have many of you lads here. I am profoundly grateful for the work you all have done; many folks don't seem to understand what a labour of love is all about, but it seems that many here do get it.

Baiting isn't a mod issue, folks. It's OUR issue. We're the one who "feed the trolls" (so to speak). If we respond to the juvenile behavior with more juvenile behavior, they win. If, on the other hand, we take away their audience - and choose not to reply - they lose their effectiveness real quick. Asking mods to deal with all the baiting is unfair to them, and unfair to us - we need to be the adults here, if others are choosing not to be. Calling for a mod is no different than calling for Mommy, and I think we're past that, most of us.

Someobdy around here has a sign that says, "Don't argue with idiots. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." Pretty sound advice, if you ask me.

BBW, if you must leave, make it leave-time, not discharge time. You'll be missed by many, and welcomed gladly upon your return. And let not the dissenting opinion of one - or a few - disappointed people colour your work more than the praise of the many of us who are very grateful for it.

clayton
06-15-07, 01:06 PM
I don't know if it's just me, or maybe others have observed this, too.

I've been on a lot of boards... more than is healthy, prolly. One thing that's common in all of them is that I just plain don't agree with some folks there.

But no matter how reasoned the argument, or how considered the discussion, the simple truth remains: Nothing I, or he, or she types is going to change someone else's mind when it comes down to staunchly-held feelings or beliefs.

Another observation: Many of the posters on many boards use those boards as their "rant toilets". This is where they show up to vomit up all their dissapointment with whatever game the board's about. Their very presence is an irritation to those who feel differently about the same game.

Lastly: Sometimes, even the good people have bad days, and their posts become unintentionally hurtful. It can be a right pain in the arse to interpret some people's posts for meaning.

Look, I don't know BBW or this other poster who was so hostile towards GWX, so I can't say more than this: That other guy had a pretty decent post-count, far more than I, so he's been around awhile. I don't know if all of his posts were combative, and I can't be arsed to find out atm. I do know that BBW has contributed a lot to this community, and so by extension, to me personally, as have many of you lads here. I am profoundly grateful for the work you all have done; many folks don't seem to understand what a labour of love is all about, but it seems that many here do get it.

Baiting isn't a mod issue, folks. It's OUR issue. We're the one who "feed the trolls" (so to speak). If we respond to the juvenile behavior with more juvenile behavior, they win. If, on the other hand, we take away their audience - and choose not to reply - they lose their effectiveness real quick. Asking mods to deal with all the baiting is unfair to them, and unfair to us - we need to be the adults here, if others are choosing not to be. Calling for a mod is no different than calling for Mommy, and I think we're past that, most of us.

Someobdy around here has a sign that says, "Don't argue with idiots. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." Pretty sound advice, if you ask me.

BBW, if you must leave, make it leave-time, not discharge time. You'll be missed by many, and welcomed gladly upon your return. And let not the dissenting opinion of one - or a few - disappointed people colour your work more than the praise of the many of us who are very grateful for it.

Though you are correct, by not responding you allow posters you feel are baiting to influence newer players. MHO!

tdean001
06-15-07, 01:43 PM
:nope: :nope: :nope: :nope:

It's a shame when the negative attitudes of others prevents a very creative and talented person from pursuing their interests. BBW- Take your time, enjoy RL, and come back sometime. We'll be here.

Tom

Mush Martin
06-15-07, 02:08 PM
Kick at the darkness till it bleeds Daylight lads.
MM

Jimbuna
06-15-07, 02:24 PM
I'm gonna take a chance here and post a brief piece :yep:

BBW is a friend of mine, someone I met through SubSim and someone who I physically speak to on a regular basis on TS :up:

I don't know exactly why this post has been suddenly resurrected :nope: But to the best of my belief and knowledge he has not left this forum....he is posting on an almost daily basis but not in the numbers he has in the past.
The main reason being ....he is extremely busy working on the next GWX release :yep:
I am sure he will respond when he has a little spare time (cos I'm gonna tell him on TS in a few hours) :rotfl:

bigboywooly
06-15-07, 03:51 PM
You might have told me if you werent having your head shaved

:rotfl:

Yes the intention was to stay away while modding and it was getting to be a pantomine in here
All we needed was Barrymore :roll:
LMAO

Still busy with GWX so have reduced my time here to concentrate on that

Growler
06-15-07, 04:43 PM
Though you are correct, by not responding you allow posters you feel are baiting to influence newer players. MHO!

That is true, there is an element to that. Two things, however. One, if newer players see a lot if infighting and bickering, are they going to be as willing to join the community? And second, if a new player is going to be influenced by a lot of spite and vitriol... do we really want them around, anyway?

Go back to what I wrote earlier, about changing minds. Most of the time, you aren't going to change someone's point of view on something with words written on a forum; would you want to hang out with someone who changed that easily, with one bitter person's post?

Growler
06-15-07, 04:48 PM
You might have told me if you werent having your head shaved

:rotfl:

Yes the intention was to stay away while modding and it was getting to be a pantomine in here
All we needed was Barrymore :roll:
LMAO

Still busy with GWX so have reduced my time here to concentrate on that

Hey, what's wrong with shaving heads... oh, wait... wow...

Anyway, fwiw, (Maybe I resurrected this thread? I dunno, it looked new) I'm glad I'm here, and nothing anyone says is gonna change that!:)

Water boy
06-16-07, 04:59 PM
Briefly.....
Been playing SH3 for years.
Complete PC idiot.
Would've binned SH3 as all played out until I discovered you guys.
D/L'd some mods, will play on for years........

You modders made it what it is, you modders keep it what it is and for idiots like me we are never ever far away from tech support, all we need do is ask.
Too many to name, too many more grateful players with me being one.

SH4 will be in the bargain bucket before I buy it at this rate, not because its not 100% but I've got so many more patrols left in SH3 now.
When I do pickup SH4 first thing I'm going to do is load it and come looking for you guys............

You cant catch fish if they wont bite....... ignore the crud and dont bite, they'll soon get bored. Either that or the moderators need to get in and snip it before it gets too heavy or personal.

Bottom line....... great job, keep up the good work...... you are appreciated.

Boris
06-16-07, 05:11 PM
I hope you change your mind. ATM subsims aren't the most popular PC titles, and we need every decent modder & organizer we can get. I really don't want to see an already small modding community get even smaller (& lose a vital member at the same time). Again, for every coward who posts destructive criticism there are many dozens of people who quietly enjoy your work. Even if you don't hear from them as often as you should, please reconsider.
When can we quietly enjoy your work? :yep:

GlobalExplorer
06-16-07, 05:22 PM

Good question Boris. Over the last 1 1/2 years I kept busting his balls (every few months hehe) about when he will release his stuff, but he seems to feel no pressure at all. He's a phenomenon in that respect .. every one else would have given in by now :rotfl:

Dimitrius07
06-27-07, 02:57 AM
First fo all - greetings to all Subsim members :rock:

Thise idiotizm hapen not only in thise forum, i am talking about a very annoying group of people ho trying to get attention by every tactics neceserry :nope: .
The best way is to unslut some one - thise is the most popular metod. The resolts you can see for your self. I` am come back affter a long brake and i found out that many people i know and respect are gone! Damn!! :damn:

The most unfair thing is letting thise group of people win. Every time you reply to thise idiots - they won because they get what they want, a god damn attention :x . Don`t pay attention to them, let the modderators do they job its not wose that :down:

Alex
06-27-07, 05:07 AM

The one and only important thing. :rotfl:

bruschi sauro
06-27-07, 07:53 AM

Permanent ?
Maybe

REALLY YOU HAVE GWX 1.04?

Alex
06-27-07, 09:21 AM
BBW is no less than a member of the GWX Dev Team.http://www.crypticmadness.com/Forum/images/Smiles/chandelle.gif

Jimbuna
06-27-07, 02:27 PM

Permanent ?
Maybe

That was more than a month ago :D The AI turtles are nearly ready for general release.....we've only got the farting shrimps to sort out now....won't be long ;)

FIREWALL
06-27-07, 02:39 PM
Did SS just take another hit. We can't be loseing these valuable members who used to be at our beck and call to fix all our miseries.

Take a well deserved rest from here and enjoy.:yep:

Kpt. Lehmann
06-27-07, 02:40 PM

Permanent ?
Maybe

That was more than a month ago :D The AI turtles are nearly ready for general release.....we've only got the farting shrimps to sort out now....won't be long ;)

Roger that. We are having a great deal of trouble making sure the shrimp are farting loud enough to be heard via hydrophone from at least 5nm distant.

Alex
06-27-07, 02:44 PM
LMAO http://www.crypticmadness.com/Forum/images/Smiles/rofl3.gif http://www.crypticmadness.com/Forum/images/Smiles/rofl3.gif http://www.crypticmadness.com/Forum/images/Smiles/rofl3.gif http://www.crypticmadness.com/Forum/images/Smiles/rofl3.gif

FIREWALL
06-27-07, 02:44 PM
About the farting shrimp. Isn't there a mod that doe's that ?:rotfl:

Safe-Keeper
06-27-07, 02:56 PM
Take care, big boy. Better to stay away and calm down if things don't work out for you.

Penelope_Grey
06-27-07, 03:02 PM
Guys, how many times? BBW is still among us, the only thing is, he is hard at work with the GWX update, he hasn't vanished into space or anything.:lol:

Jimbuna
06-27-07, 03:14 PM
About the farting shrimp. Isn't there a mod that doe's that ?:rotfl:

Yeah :yep: .....it's called a vindaloo curry :rotfl:

Guys, how many times? BBW is still among us, the only thing is, he is hard at work with the GWX update, he hasn't vanished into space or anything.

Listen to the lady guys......BBW is grafting away over at 'The Den' (well, he'd better be) :rotfl: