PDA

View Full Version : AI sonar indiscipline

jason taylor
01-11-07, 04:13 AM
One thing I have noticed is that AI's are loud, even their subs-any comments on that?

Dr.Sid
01-11-07, 05:40 AM
This is mostly due mission design .. platforms are usually set to move too fast. Surface boats are often over their sensors effective speed and can't detect you at all. Subs are often cavitating. But good missions does not have this problem. There is just so few of them ..

BigBadVuk
01-11-07, 06:44 AM
I agree with Sid...
Try to put quick mission on asw HARD settings..lean back and watch...if you are not blown out of the water in 30 mins...Well I suggest you can start playing lottery,becose you are very,very lucky :lol:
In other words..put killo on 2kts and set it to be elite crew,then try to find&sink her...:up:

SeaQueen
01-11-07, 07:03 AM
One thing I have noticed is that AI's are loud, even their subs-any comments on that?

In the case of surface ships, it's realistic for them to not be as concerned about stealth as a submarine because they'll never be as stealthy as a submarine. Surface ships use their speed and superior firepower as their primary defense.

Submarines aren't in good missions because the person designing the mission designed it such that it's too easy.

ASWnut101
01-11-07, 09:17 PM
I agree with Sid...
Try to put quick mission on asw HARD settings..lean back and watch...if you are not blown out of the water in 30 mins...Well I suggest you can start playing lottery,becose you are very,very lucky :lol:
In other words..put killo on 2kts and set it to be elite crew,then try to find&sink her...:up:

Sink who? Surface or submerged?

P.S. I ROUTIENLY do that. And win.

jason taylor
01-11-07, 10:13 PM
In the case of surface ships, it's realistic for them to not be as concerned about stealth as a submarine because they'll never be as stealthy as a submarine. Surface ships use their speed and superior firepower as their primary defense.

Submarines aren't in good missions because the person designing the mission designed it such that it's too easy.

-----------------------------
True enough, but i've noticed even subs using active to much-and sometimes going to fast as well.

Molon Labe
01-11-07, 11:06 PM
AI subs do not use active sonar.

The most likely cause of AI subs moving at high speed and cavitating is a flawed doctrine that causes all platforms on a side to intercept and unknown contact to ID it, regardless of whether or not the platform was at comms depth. There is a risk of this occurring in any scenario that has a sub with allied air or surface platforms that may detect unknown platforms and have some distance to go before they track them down.

LuftWolf
01-12-07, 05:59 AM

The game was designed so that an average computer user with about 1-2 hours experience with the sim could find an enemy and engage them within 30 minutes of the default scenarios included on the disk.

In other words, if you want the enemy to be harder to find, you have to mod the sim and play user-created missions that don't make the confrontation inevitable within a specifically short period of time.

Cheers,
David

BigBadVuk
01-12-07, 06:43 AM
I agree with Sid...

Sink who? Surface or submerged?

P.S. I ROUTIENLY do that. And win.

Sink KILO!
I can do that also,but it was never routine

SeaQueen
01-12-07, 07:54 AM
True enough, but i've noticed even subs using active to much-and sometimes going to fast as well.

That's interesting. I've never noticed a submarine using active sonar in DW. I will say, though, depending on what nation you're talking about, it's not inconceivable for a submarine to use active sonar. For a submarine with inferior sonar performance attempting to detect a submarine with superior sonar performance, active sonar is sometimes the best way to do it because in all likelyhood, the submarine with inferior sonar performance will detect be detected before he detects the submarine with superior sonar performance.

SeaQueen
01-12-07, 08:03 AM
play user-created missions that don't make the confrontation inevitable within a specifically short period of time.

I think this is the most important thing, because if you choose search areas of appropriate size for a given sensor range, everything seems to work out about right. I'd also argue that using "Random Box" as a tactic, using random start boxes and dynamic locations is really critical to making a good scenario.