SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-21-06, 04:03 AM   #1
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0
Default Who uses SH3Cmdr with multiple SH3 installs???

In R2.1 I added the ability to point SH3Cmdr to alternative installations of SH3 by way of a /l switch in the shortcut(s).

However, over the last few months, more and more people seem to be running multiple installations of SH3.

As such, I fear that the current /l switch is no longer as robust as it once was.

So, after I release R2.6.1 in the next week or so (refer to the SH3Cmdr R2.6 sticky thread for more info), I am toying with releasing a minor update (R2.7) which will provide a more robust way for pointing SH3Cmdr to alternate SH3 installations, including automatically managing rollbacks between each installation so as to avoid "cross-pollination". The alternate paths would be managed internally in SH3Cmdr (you'd add the paths to SH3Cmdr and you'd select the one you want when you run SH3Cmdr).

As you can imagine, such a feature may take a few weeks (part time) to build. So before I even contemplate it, I want to know how many people have multiple installations of SH3 AND are also using SH3Cmdr. I'd also be curious how you have SH3Cmdr point to your individual SH3 installations (I know some people create multiple shortcuts using the /l switch and some people install multiple copies of SH3Cmdr).

If there's enough interest, I'll pursue. Otherwise, I won't.

BTW, there's one other feature that I've wanted to add for a long time, but I'll ask about it after I get a clear indiciation on this issue...
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-06, 05:07 AM   #2
Der Teddy Bar
Blade Master

Downloads: 0

Speaking as an admirer and user of your indispensable program I appreciate the thought and would be happy to assist in any way regarding NYGM's TW Mod.
Der Teddy Bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-06, 07:07 AM   #3
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

I have three installations running, but only use SH Commander for The Grey Wolves 1.1, I did this because of not knowing if it would affect the other two.

If I do not launch the other two from SH Commander, but from stock, are they affected in any way by the one I do launch using SH Commander?

Anyway thanks for starting this, with so many mods out there it would be nice to use SH Commander with them all. Thanks for all your work on this.
ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-06, 07:41 AM   #4
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 910

I use your "commander" with GW & NYGM. I just change the name of the SilentHunterIII folder to switch back 'n forth. Never used the "/l switch".

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

~ George Orwell
don1reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-06, 07:57 AM   #5
gatordad
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I have three separate installations of SHIII (GW, TW & vanilla) along with separate installations of SH3Commander 2.6 as well. I use the /l switch as well.

I am careful that I load the proper kaluen and have a designator tagged as a suffix to each character's name (ie, John Doe GW, James Shadow TW)

Great program!
Old 09-21-06, 08:30 AM   #6
alito2k5
Nub

Downloads: 0

I use multiple install of SH3 each with its own install of SH Commander.
Great program! Love it!
alito2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-06, 08:37 AM   #7
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

So when you are saying separate installations of Commander for the different mods...., how do you do this again? Are you just being careful to name each career as it relates to the mod, then loading them in one copy of commander?

Thanks again.
ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-06, 08:48 AM   #8
Jager
Loader

Downloads: 7

Right now I have three installations, original 1.4b, Grey Wolves, and NYGM. I'm planning on getting UBWAC up as well. I have SH3 Cmdr point to the original "SilenthunterIII" folder by renaming the folder that has the mod that I wish to use in it. A feature like this is worth waiting for, thanks JScones!
Old 09-21-06, 09:17 AM   #9
kylania
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 117

I would love a new feature like that! The /l switch didn't seem to work for me too well, so I ended up with multiple installs of both, but even that didn't work as expected (I had different SH3 options for each install, yet somehow the options kept being assigned to the other install of SH3 Commander!)

A feature like the one you described would be well appreciated!

kylania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-06, 10:33 AM   #10
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

One hell of an excellent idea ...I use multiple installations of SH3Commander and would appreciate having only one in the future

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-06, 12:40 PM   #11
MothBalls
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 20

You'll like this. I installed JSGME into my SH3 Commander directory. When I switch mods, I run it once for Commander, and once for SH3. Of course, after doing a rollback. I have different sets of CFG files I use on different mods.

While you are here, don't know if this has been suggested before or not, I'd like to suggest:

In a few of the threads I saw people said they didn't use Commander because of the sabatoge mod or random events and they weren't savy enough to edit the cfg files.

I think it would be great that if Commander was to make any changes, that it would be a user selectable option and not make any changes that the user doesn't select.

I wouldn't know where to put it, but when you click SH3 options, it says:
Career Options
Text Settings
Gameplay Settings
Time Compression
<add>
Sabotge Settings
Random Event Settings

I think more people would use this great tool if they were given full control over what it does. It's the "unknows" that people don't like.

BTW: Thanks for the work you put into this and your contributions to the community.
MothBalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-06, 01:03 PM   #12
Meridian
Frogman

Downloads: 625

I'd definitely like to see this function implemented please JS. Anything to make life easier and smotther when running SH3 can't be a bad thing.
Meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-06, 01:20 PM   #13
MothBalls
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 20

One other thought….

Is there a way you can make Commander automatically roll back when SH3 exits? It might solve some of the cross pollination issues.

In the event of a game crash, a rollback could be performed the next time Commander starts.

When you run Commander you “test” for the existence of SH3 weather and execute it when it is present. Could you drop an identifier file into the SH3 directory so you would know if there was an abnormal exit and roll back based on that?

I’m not a programmer but I was just thinking of possible ways to solve some minor issues. I have no idea if these things would/could work.
MothBalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-06, 01:46 PM   #14
supposedtobeworking
XO

Downloads: 59

Ditto on the automatic rollback....then I would not forget to do it..

I tried running SH3Cmdr with three installations using the l/switch, but somehow managed to screw things up....think I forgot to rollback one time actually. so I had to completely uninstall everything, now I only use SH3cmdr for one installation, so this feature you are talking about would be great for idiots like me.
supposedtobeworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-06, 02:43 PM   #15
kylania
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 117

How would automatic rollback work with a saved game?

Right now I start a patrol using SH3 Commander, but if I have to save I always just start the game normally, so that I don't get stuck with say different values or crew losses with each restart of a saved game. Is that the right way of doing things? And how would this work with an automatic rollback upon exit?

kylania is offline   Reply With Quote