SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-10-05, 08:28 PM   #1
Adm. Ahab
Seaman

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

First, I would like to say to the devs. I think this is a great game. Been hooked on modern sub games since playing Red Storm Rising as a young lad, on the C64. Loved Janes 688 but lost it when stationed overseas (Army) and have been looking for a good sub game for some time (how did I miss SC?).

Any way, here are some bugs I've noticed while playing.

1) In the Campaign Russian Rebellion (Mission 1), the trigger for finding the SSBN has the text of the message to the P3 and is from 7th Fleet commander. It should be for the Akula from Commander Northern Fleet. The other 2 triggers for the same event (the 688 and P3) are fine. I fixed it myself but I thought I'd mention it, as it’s a simple fix for the devs.

2) Not sure if this is a bug as I'm no expert but when raising the Radio mast on all Russian subs, it looks like the Snorkel is raising and visa versa. As I said, I'm no expert but the mast that raises for snorkel looks way too small for air to flow through, were as the cone shaped mast looks more like a snorkel to me.

3) The USNI reference labels the Akula 1 K-154 as the Tigr and the Akula 1 Imp K157 as the Vepr? but they are reversed in the game. Not sure which one is reversed.

Feature Requests.

1) I would really like a playable Victor III. I love Russian subs and this one in particular. The Akula has been done several times but this one has never been covered. It would open the possibility for more realistic match ups for late cold war scenarios. Since the 3d model is already included most of the stations could be re-used except the weapons panel (different tube layout). If not please consider including it in any add on. The same for the Akula 1 (not improved) as a playable sub. The stations should be the same so this one should be real easy. I would also like the early 688 as well. Since this would require a redone weapons station (no VLS), this is more of a wish (pretty pretty please!) but I'd rather have a playable Victor III.

2) An adjustable volume for all hydrophones. If not, lower the volume of the button clicks for the stations on the 688; they are very loud in comparison to the Hydrophones.

I realize there are time constraints for patches and I would rather have all of the bugs fixed rather then new features added.

Thanks
Adm. Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-05, 11:37 PM   #2
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

I second the volume on the hydrophone suggestion! I always have to reach for the volume knob when I want to have a listen, and even then its often too quiet to make out.
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-05, 01:16 AM   #3
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

K157 is tigr and K154 is vepr also the K419 morzh is missing have we lost a sub ?

K419 morzh is an akula i improved and isnt on the list where it go take off to outer space?

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-05, 07:33 AM   #4
Nexus7
Commander

Downloads: 2

Renzie and Jamie,
i browsed all your posts (around 500) looking for an answer addressing the ability of the countermeasures to detonate torpedoes.
Not one of those posts contains the string "cm" or "counter" except in one from Renzie used as "counterfire"

Maybe i still missed it but else... this is puzzling... as the CM's are for so many a problem in DW (please see the relative poll at http://subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0) - i hope this works -

On 32 votes, less than one out of then likes them as they are now.

I must assume the CM's will be the same even after patch 1.02?

Thanks for an answer :hmm:
Nexus7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-05, 06:54 PM   #5
amrcg
Swabbie

Default Please restore the Jane's 688i fathometer screen

In order not to duplicate the suggestion I refer to the following thread:
http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=40277
amrcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-05, 12:54 AM   #6
Nydrre
Swabbie

@SCS: I was wondering, is it realistic that the 50/60hz machinery line is the "loudest," and not some sort of prop noise (maybe the 125hz?)?. That way, we could get DEMON for NB contacts on the appropriate line...which would bring back manual TMA and help classification.[/quote]

Lower frequencies travel much further while higher ones die off more quickly and will appear more faint over a longer distance.
Nydrre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-05, 06:23 AM   #7
Nexus7
Commander

OK OK OK! That's not about the CM's anymore!!!

:hmm:

This is not really a patch suggestion but rather a new feature i'm sometimes missing:

ever considered a feature that allows to save the MP games?
This sim requires quite much out of the player and is primarily built for MP purposes...
Now, since the most of us have a more or less intensive RL, asking to be available 3-4 hours is not always doable, in terms of mere time availability but also in terms of mental resources (for me anyway).

I used to be addicted to Sid Meier's Civilization sequele time ago: was primarily not intended for MP but then a mod allowing it was released... and with the save game feature. I think it wouldn't do any bad to DW also... if feasable at all

Nexus7
Old 07-16-05, 07:23 AM   #8
MaHuJa
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus7
blah blah ... MP ... blah blah ... save game ... blah blah ... if feasable at all
(Just a funny way of saying 8< ---- snip )

I imagine any cheaters would rejoice...

Also, for many it may be a slight problem that they don't always meet up with the same people (simple solution: don't use it...), and for nearly all of us, we'll need some time to readjust to the round once we get back in. (perhaps unless we can replay what's happened up to that point (just not in truth mode!))
MaHuJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-05, 11:54 AM   #9
Nexus7
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaHuJa

I imagine any cheaters would rejoice...

Also, for many it may be a slight problem that they don't always meet up with the same people (simple solution: don't use it...), and for nearly all of us, we'll need some time to readjust to the round once we get back in. (perhaps unless we can replay what's happened up to that point (just not in truth mode!))
Here i think at the chess game between Tyrell corporation director and one of the genetical engineers in the film "Blade Runner"...

If you're not a sunday's diver, you'd recognize cheaters, else it's your problem.
Old 07-17-05, 06:58 AM   #10
Amizaur
Sonar Guy

SS-N-27 ASM range bug cause and possible solutions:

Well yesterday after going to bed I still though about it and couln't fall asleep until found the answer. Hint - launch simultaneously (from pause) two SS-N-27s, one set to 1nm (but don't forget to set shutdown range to max) and the other set to 100nm. Now disable the pause and observe both missiles :-).

The missile range in the game seems to be calculated differently from torpedo range. You may launch two torpedos at different speeds and both will go to max range (which is unrealistic anyway). But range of a missile seems to be calculated by flight time. Max range is divided by max speed and the result is a lifetime of a missile in the air. Which leads to a problem when you try to run a missile at less than max speed (as in case of SS-N-27). SS-N-27 fly at 500kts until enable, then speeds up to max 1933kts.

Now let's calculate. Missile max range from database is 300024m = 162nm. Missile Max Speed is 1933kts. 162/1933*3600 gives flight time of 301,7 seconds. The missile will live just so long.
Now let's check how long it will go at 500kts in this time. 500*301,7/3600 = 41,9nm... Looks familiar, isn't it ? This is range of SS-N-27 at a speed of 500kts. You can also get this number more simple - divide missile speed by it's max speed (500kts/1933kts) and the result (=0.25866) shows what part of max range will a missile fly at this speed. 0.25866 * 162nm = 41.9nm.

Same problem is also the cause of SS-N-27 max range at 1933kts to be also little smaller than 162nm - some of the precious flight time is spent at 500kts between launch and 1nm enable point.

So the method of calculating missile range by flight time in game engine is wrong. It causes the problem with SS-N-27 and many other problems potentially. Should be changed to same method as for torpedos, or like was used in SC (I don't remember problems with SS-N-27s in SC).

But this is serious change and I know it would dalay relase of 1.02 patch. So temporary solution could be different - redesign of the SS-N-27 missile to work similar like SS-N-27 ASW (launch a submunition).

Currently the SS-N-27 is ONE missile which is run at 500kts (0.258 of it's max speed) until enable, and later speed up to max 1933kts. Not very realistic. Mainly because you can activate the missile at 1nm and get fully supersonic Mach 3 SEASKIMMING flight for about 140nm !!! Crazy. There is no such missile with such capabilites, and even if was - it would burn itself from the heat of air friction.

As we all know in reality SS-N-27 is a two-stage missile. First stage similar to Tomahawk fly subsonic, close to target a second smaller supersonic stage separates and attacks the target (and the first stage continues in the direction of the target working as decoy). The supersonic stage is rocket propelled and have much smaller range.

Currently SUBROCs work very similar - first stage launches a torpedo. So let's make SS-N-27 this way. First stage will be subsonic with max speed of 500kts and range of 162nm (of course seaskimming, not ballistic like SUBROCS). At enable point it would launch second, supersonic stage with speed of 1933kts and proper range, the first stage could continue it's flight increasing number of targets for air defense to shoot at. Very realistic and working even without changing range calculating method (because we run each missile on it's max speed).

I think that making SS-N-27 to work this way would be much faster than changing range calcs in game code, and could be done in few hours to include in 1.02 patch.

For current 1.01 players - if you want your SS-N-27s to go long range, about 140nm, enable them as soon as possible (1nm) - so launch them manually, not from NAV screen. Unfortunatlely then they will fly whole 140nm at 1900kts which is TOTALLY unrealistic... but the only way to reach long range now.

Cheers!
Amizaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-05, 01:27 PM   #11
MaHuJa
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 3

Been a while since I added something here, so I figured having another go might not be so bad an idea.

NAV: The countours of the sea bottom;
A togglable "current (keel) depth",
and a few togglable and editable, defaulted at values like: (most applicable only to subs)
Surfaced keel depth, Breach depth, periscope depth, 150', 400' (buoy depth)

Turning one of these on creates the lines on the map that follow these depths...
Discussed in
http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopi...=357904#357904

FFG "round screens":
Outlines of land visible

FFG TMA:
-I'd like max zoomout to be at least double of now, preferrably four times.
-The lines must be extendable beyond the current lengths. (Increased, but still static, number of nautical miles will be problematic, but will help as an interim solution)
-Merging contacts without drawing one onto the plot would be very helpful in maintaining a "clean plot".
-The fact that the solution will, with a perfect operator input, be some 500 yards behind the target, must be fixed.

TMA:
On all TMA screens I'd like to see the outlines of land.
On sub TMAs I'd love the ability to remove single bogus lines (think bent towed array) similarly to the FFG.
MaHuJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-05, 06:46 AM   #12
Soulchaser
Seaman

anyone ever encountered the situation that a 65cm torpedo ignored the ceiling setting and blew up a surface vessel?

i had that yesterday. i did set it to 20m and it did vaporize a fishing boat..
Old 07-21-05, 06:58 AM   #13
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulchaser
anyone ever encountered the situation that a 65cm torpedo ignored the ceiling setting and blew up a surface vessel?

i had that yesterday. i did set it to 20m and it did vaporize a fishing boat..
20m....60ft....sounds high enough that it didn't have to ignore the ceiling to explode. I have seen ADCAPS break the ceiling if they were being enabled/pre-enabled/steered a lot, though.

@SCS: Here's a suggestion: Enable UTK detonations only if the target selected at fire control is classified as Surface, and increase the damage done (as in SCX). Otherwise, the weapon should need direct contact to detonate (as in SC 1.08). This would make ceilings a lot more effective and add to realism.
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-05, 06:18 PM   #14
Nexus7
Commander

Why the .... do we have a modern subwarfare simulator with WW2 torpedoes!!!?
Old 07-22-05, 08:04 AM   #15
bishop
A-ganger

Downloads: 4
Default Seawolf RAPLOC bug

I think this was mentioned already (didn't look through all 25 pages of this thread), apologies in advance if it has...

In the Seawolf, the RAPLOC function doesn't send the WAA range info to TMA like it used to in SC. Be nice to see this working again, it's one of the distinctive advantages of the SW to be able to get rapid range info on targets.

The game is great, thanks again!
bishop is offline   Reply With Quote