SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-12-14, 11:48 AM   #1
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Default SH4 DVD "Gold Edition" Sale

I thought I'd let you know iNetVideo has the "Gold Edition" DVD selling for $19.95 plus $2.50 shipping. I purchased form these folks last year when the price was only $9.99...the DVD disk arrived in 3 days as expected. As the summer progressed, the price dropped to $7.99, then POOF.....the supply dried up, the game wasn't found on their site at all.

As of today, they apparently have resupplied!

If anyone knows of a cheaper price for a DVD Gold Edition version 1.5, speak up.

Stop buying from Steam and getting "Steamed" in the process with a 1.3 version of the game!!

Also, for you SHV fans. They have the DVD version selling for less than the shipping it takes to get it to your home.....Just $2.00!! Found HERE. I just bought it to see what's different compared to SH4.....I'll let you know when it arrives.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 02-12-14 at 02:33 PM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-14, 02:14 PM   #2
TG626
Lieutenant

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 3

Kinda shows which one is selling...
Old 02-12-14, 02:57 PM   #3
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Yes it does TG. Their practical giving SHV away!

I hope you don't mind me using your "getting Steamed" phrase. I read it the other day and think that's exactly what folks are getting when using Steams download service.

The problem with using some of these download sites is they put a proprietary download out for sale. What this seems to do is cause a purchaser to only upgrade their downloaded game through their site. For those that purchase a Steam version of SH4 (which is documented to be version 1.3), you'll have to buy, through Steam, any update, like version 1.5 the U-Boat Missions Add-on. I've heard that trying to patch Steam's 1.3 version of the game with version 1.4 won't work. You're forced to update to Steam's version 1.5 U-Boat Mission Add-on just to get rid of the version 1.3 that it original sells!! It's my opinion, its not worth the inexpensive price of a download if your held hostage to their site.

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 02-12-14 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-12-14, 03:50 PM   #4
HertogJan
Weps

Downloads: 137
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Wonder why oooh no I don't... The sheer number of Mod’s needed is enough to scare most people away

I've read a lot over at SHV forum. The modding community has done a amazing job getting that game to run as it does now. Chapeau

It looks great but the things you have to do to get it to work are massive. I think you need about 30 Mod's just to get the game to run without bug's not to mention you'll need to install another 30 to 50 Mod's in a specific order if you want eye candy, better AI, sinking mechanics and lots more

Maybe I'll buy the game someday, when they've made one mega mod for all the bug fixes. Then again…
HertogJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-14, 04:48 PM   #5
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

You do not need mods but if you want mods they are there. Not only that but with JSGME it is a very simple process to add mods. A hell of a lot easier than it was 20 years ago when game players were modding.

If you know what your doing you do not even need the dvd in place once you have installed the game which makes it even more stable.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-14, 09:49 PM   #6
TG626
Lieutenant

Quote:

I hope you don't mind me using your "getting Steamed" phrase. I read it the other day and think that's exactly what folks are getting when using Steams download service.

The problem with using some of these download sites is they put a proprietary download out for sale. What this seems to do is cause a purchaser to only upgrade their downloaded game through their site. For those that purchase a Steam version of SH4 (which is documented to be version 1.3), you'll have to buy, through Steam, any update, like version 1.5 the U-Boat Missions Add-on. I've heard that trying to patch Steam's 1.3 version of the game with version 1.4 won't work. You're forced to update to Steam's version 1.5 U-Boat Mission Add-on just to get rid of the version 1.3 that it original sells!! It's my opinion, its not worth the inexpensive price of a download if your held hostage to their site.

Be my guest, glad you liked it!

Yes Steam is screwing SH4 buyers no question.

Thing is, it was just as cheap for me to get it via Amazon.com download - and what I got was the same thing that would be on the DVD, right down to the "autorun.exe"
Old 02-13-14, 10:21 AM   #7
CapnScurvy
Admiral

It's been my personal experience that buying a Download is putting your complete trust towards the seller to provide you with the content you expect, and to do it for the future if needed. This isn't always the case.

I reluctantly bought the Dirct2Drive download of the U-Boat Missions Add-on (I just couldn't get over the fact that UbiSoft wanted to be paid for its fifth patch to a game I original paid $50.00 for....their last patch that still doesn't fix many issues with the game!!). However, as the years went on, D2D required you to get a new "Access Key" to re download your original content ("so they could keep an eye out for pirating"), every time you reinstalled the game. This wasn't too bad, you just needed to jump through their hoops when you wanted to re download. The real issue sprung up when D2D was sold and another Download company took over. You had to prove to the new company that your original purchase was legitimate, before you could receive your content again!! That's when I started to look around for a DVD "Gold Edition" of the game. As I said, last year you could buy it for the same price as a download.

Forget it....... buy the disk and thumb your nose at 'em!!

Quote:
Old 02-13-14, 11:59 AM   #8
TG626
Lieutenant

I know what you mean. I used to have a piece of software that every time I altered the hardware on my computer, the licence "key" would stop working. I then had to start the program, copy a string of text into and email, contact an outfit in France and wait several days for a new key (another string of characters).

However, in cases like this, I just assume that whenever I would need to re-download (HDD crash, et. al.) they won't be around anymore - Burn it to a DVD - with an extra .txt file with the "key" and voila - I have the same thing I'd have if I bought it.

So, download can work, you just can't trust em. I knew I was rolling the bones when I bought SH4v1.5 from Amazon and fortunately I rolled a hard 6.

Old 02-13-14, 12:23 PM   #9
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

I have a spare set of SH3, 4 and 5, the one first to post in this thread who wants all three can have them.

PS, SH3 and 5 have never been opened and SH4 is v1.0, I'll pay for any delivery charges by the way as long as you give Subsim a small donation.
Moonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-14, 12:49 PM   #10
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

All it take is one corrupt packet in a download transfer to screw the whole works up. Only thing is sometime the software might run find and then all of a sudden when it calls for that data and finds it corrupt you get to play hide and seek with problem solving.

I'd much rather have a direct transfer from disc to hard drive and then play off the drive then using disc in the tray. Playing from the hard drive and skipping the disc from a cd or dvd is much better.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-14, 08:43 AM   #11
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
I have a spare set of SH3, 4 and 5, the one first to post in this thread who wants all three can have them.

PS, SH3 and 5 have never been opened and SH4 is v1.0, I'll pay for any delivery charges by the way as long as you give Subsim a small donation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy
If anyone knows of a cheaper price for a DVD Gold Edition version 1.5, speak up.
Well shut my mouth!! That's really generous of you Moonlight!! Those are for a PlayStation right?

If you don't get any takers, you might want to sell them on E-Bay. I've not sold anything on E-Bay, but I've seen folks selling the game for just about the retail price it was originally sold for. That doesn't mean they'll get it, but there's always "hope" when you go fishing.

Quote:
Old 02-14-14, 06:03 PM   #12
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

They're PC DVD versions CapnScurvy, I don't want to sell them as I'd sooner give them away to a good home.

Offer still stands btw.
Moonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-14, 03:29 AM   #13
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
They're PC DVD versions CapnScurvy, I don't want to sell them as I'd sooner give them away to a good home.

Offer still stands btw.
I made the wrong conclusion when you wrote "PS, SH3 and 5 have never been opened....". You wrote a Post Script; not meaning PlayStation.

Hope they find a home!

Quote:
Old 02-20-14, 02:34 PM   #14
CapnScurvy
Admiral

I mentioned I would report when my SHV DVD would arrive. It did today.

The package came from Montreal Quebec, looks like Saint-Laurent Boulevard (I don't know, its another countries address protocol?!?). So, it took eight days from order to delivery. Not bad for crossing the border using "Snail Mail", and loosing 2 days due to a Sunday and government holiday (Presidents Day).

The DVD has two disks...... one for the game, another has a Bonus Documentary called "Lost and Found, The Legacy of USS Lagarto".

Not bad for $4.50 total.

Quote:

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 03-05-14 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-20-14, 11:40 PM   #15
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Not bad for $4.50 total.
Not bad at all.

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote