SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-19-13, 05:02 PM   #1
rsslcs
Bosun

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 0
Any SH5 mods working for steam version?

Hello all!

I have emerged from the depths of Lurkerdom to ask you all a question.

So here is my problem. I own the Steam version of Silent Hunter 5, and without the use of the exe fixes patcher, I do not really know which gameplay mods to use, as Steam compatibility is not really specified, and Sober's mega mod, or even trying various mod combinations just keeps crashing and freezing the game due to the exe not being patched.

I do not really know which mods are causing these errors, so I would just like to know which major, useful mods work with the Steam version to make the game bearable, or maybe if the Steam version is completely ignored in terms of modding, thus making this question utterly pointless.

Thank you very much so!
rsslcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-13, 05:10 PM   #2
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...57#post1806557

practically all mods can work with the Steam version of the game, except the few ones which were designed to work together with a particular patch by TDW. In the latter case their depending on a patch is expressly mentioned in their readme, and often made clear by their own title. Also take in mind that most of those mods are not available as a separate download, but are included in the same package as TDW's patcher, under the MODS folder
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-13, 05:28 PM   #3
rsslcs
Bosun

I have read that thread many times, and followed it. But still steam is not mentioned, and I have used a clean game each time I changed mod setups.

Sometimes the game just freezes (Buttons for features that don't exist, like Supermark as an example before I searched the problem and removed that mod), and the game just CTD's relentlessly; Removing all but some graphics mods stops the crashing.

Is this all I can really aim for with the Steam version, or am I over-estimating the effects of the .exe patch, and have to just deal with the crashing? Anyway, thanks for the fast reply, I promise I'll stop posting again once I annoy enough people.

EDIT: Only caught short reply at first, disregard above, I will entirely nuke my SH5 and try again, I'm guessing that something went wrong with my backup. >.<
Old 10-19-13, 05:51 PM   #4
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsslcs View Post
I have read that thread many times, and followed it. But still steam is not mentioned, and I have used a clean game each time I changed mod setups.
Have you really read it down to the end, and visited all the links contained in it?

Your problem is likely coming from wrong mod order or bad mod combination, rather than from your exe not being patched. The SH5 guide for beginners thread contains most of what you should really know for solving your issues. You can also have a look into my golden rules, which by the way are linked in the aforementioned guide.

Quote:
Is this all I can really aim for with the Steam version, or am I over-estimating the effects of the .exe patch, and have to just deal with the crashing?
No, you should aim for a full enjoyement of the game, and this is not out of your reach. And no, you are not over-estimating the effect of TDW's patches. They can lead SH5 gamepaly to a level of realism unsuspected before. Yet, they can't fix magically mod lists error. I rather suspect that you are under-estimating the dangers of mod conflicts, i.e. mods which are overwriting each other's files (JSGME will warn you about them), or mods whose relative settings are not compatible.

Quote:
Anyway, thanks for the fast reply, I promise I'll stop posting again once I annoy enough people.
No problem at all: we are here for helping each others
Old 10-19-13, 08:19 PM   #5
lodebeard
Gunner

Downloads: 84

Hi rsslcs,

Gap is very correct I think - it is possible to have a very enjoyable experience playing the steam version. But I thought I would share my personal story.

I spent a couple of weeks modding my Steam installation of the game. Eventually I grew tired of not being able to fix certain problems which are only fixable with TDW's patcher. I eventually just ordered a DVD copy through Amazon. If you live somewhere where you can order things from the interwebs, I would recommend ordering a DVD copy. I payed $6.50 CAD for mine, plus another $6 in shipping. The time I spent trying to mod my Steam game informed my modding of the dvd version, and I am very glad I chose to buy it a second time. If you can spare ten or twenty dollars I urge you to go for it and buy it again
lodebeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-13, 04:41 AM   #6
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

Everyone here is correct - the steam game can be modded into something very good. The patcher will take it to another level and can be added later by buying the dvd or any other download source other than steam, but to start with and to see if you are going to enjoy the game - stick to steam

Start of by only adding a few mods - the main ones and ones that require a career restart (you don't want to do this often or you will, like Sober never get past the second year

this is my fav quote from the modding guide:-
Quote:
.Balanced Mod List
Getting a good balanced list should be your aim when you start out. I cannot emphasize this enough.
The more mods from each type that you add, the greater the chance that a mistake is made and you will join the ctd gang.
Good luck with your modding
Old 10-20-13, 04:59 AM   #7
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevally. View Post
Everyone here is correct - the steam game can be modded into something very good. The patcher will take it to another level and can be added later by buying the dvd or any other download source other than steam, but to start with and to see if you are going to enjoy the game - stick to steam

Start of by only adding a few mods - the main ones and ones that require a career restart (you don't want to do this often or you will, like Sober never get past the second year

this is my fav quote from the modding guide:-

Good luck with your modding
wise words
Old 10-20-13, 09:30 AM   #8
rsslcs
Bosun

Many thanks for all the help, I re-read the thread yet again from top to bottom, side to side, and also diagonally, and most of it came out as complete gibberish. But nevertheless, I got my game to work!

Also I heeded the advice of Lodebeard, and have ordered the DVD version. Maybe once that arrives, I will have learned how to install mods without destroying my game!

Many thanks all, and my apologies to Gap for not knowing how to read through a thread properly. (The scrollwheel is the key, folks. )
Old 10-20-13, 08:57 PM   #9
lodebeard
Gunner

Downloads: 84

Quote:
Many thanks for all the help, I re-read the thread yet again from top to bottom, side to side, and also diagonally, and most of it came out as complete gibberish. But nevertheless, I got my game to work!

Also I heeded the advice of Lodebeard, and have ordered the DVD version. Maybe once that arrives, I will have learned how to install mods without destroying my game!

Many thanks all, and my apologies to Gap for not knowing how to read through a thread properly. (The scrollwheel is the key, folks. )
Installing my DVD copy after uninstalling my steam version confused my U-Play launcher a bit. If you run into trouble come on back and myself and others will help you out if you need it.

Congrats on getting your game sea-worthy!
lodebeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-13, 09:14 PM   #10
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
(The scrollwheel is the key, folks. )

Yes, try buing a new mouse or a boxed copy of the game. They cost more or lesser the same...
Old 10-21-13, 03:51 AM   #11
plj
Captain

Downloads: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevally. View Post
you don't want to do this often or you will, like Sober never get past the second year
This game extends beyond 1939 ??!!?
plj is offline   Reply With Quote