Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-24-12, 10:54 PM   #1
Captain Wolfe
Watch

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0
Default Well What the

So after a long long hiatus (2 years) I say to myself (after happening to see U-571 on TV) It's time for some U-boat fun.

Proceed to install the game, everything goes well. Read a few quick tip guides to help me get back into the swing of things.

Finish the starter mission and then go out on my first patrol to the Brit coastal waters.

Heres were the problem starts, a destroyer that stays with me for EVER and wont give up. AT ALL. Just keeps circle jerking it along my general path but always about 5000 yards behind and to a side. I burn through all my battery at 1 knot and get to like 47% co2. Forced to surface..., game ends.

What. The.

I lost him for a bit was able to surface at night and go about 100nm away then got my reposition report and headed for the new coastal area, then magical poof he's back and eventually the magical rape above happened.

I think I might be done with this game series AGAIN after a break of 2 years and 2 hours of play time.

Last edited by Webster; 05-01-12 at 07:36 PM. Reason: watch the language please
Captain Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-12, 11:00 PM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

That's what you get for watching that movie.

Actually this is a fairly well-known bug, and it's harmless. Apparently what happens is that a destroyer will decide to attach itself to you thinking that you're it's leader. It will maintain it's distance like a faithful dog, and will never attack you.
Old 04-24-12, 11:01 PM   #3
0rpheus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 87
Uploads: 3

Known stock bug - save & reload and he'll stop following you. No stress
0rpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-12, 11:02 PM   #4
Captain Wolfe
Watch

Obviously it's not harmless because as soon as I surfaced (under optimal sight conditions, as forced to because of battery and air as I said) he ran right up and killed me.

Also how would I find out if I have been patched to the latest patch (Uplay said it was patching when I first ran it after install. but I don't know)
Old 04-24-12, 11:18 PM   #5
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Wolfe View Post
Obviously it's not harmless because as soon as I surfaced (under optimal sight conditions, as forced to because of battery and air as I said) he ran right up and killed me.

Also how would I find out if I have been patched to the latest patch (Uplay said it was patching when I first ran it after install. but I don't know)
Might I suggest a healthy dose of mods, taken in moderation (no pun intended) of course, to remedy these problems?
Old 04-24-12, 11:33 PM   #6
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
How interesting. I had three of them follow me all the way back to Germany, and never bothered me. Others have reported the same.
Old 04-25-12, 02:14 AM   #7
L30P4RD
Watch

Downloads: 60

Well I have to back Captain Wolfe up on this one. I have not had that in an age then the other day I had a DD follow me (post mods) doing his extreme 360's thought nothing of it as a known bug, so I surfaced, again thinking nothing of it and blamo he got me, I wasn't impressed

Was only fair though I have sunk over 500k and just started Happy Times (well it was for him not so much me )

Dont worry Captain Wolfe see it as payment in full for the havoc your about to wreak !
L30P4RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-12, 09:11 AM   #8
Dogfish40
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 827

Quote:
Originally Posted by L30P4RD View Post
Well I have to back Captain Wolfe up on this one. I have not had that in an age then the other day I had a DD follow me (post mods) doing his extreme 360's thought nothing of it as a known bug, so I surfaced, again thinking nothing of it and blamo he got me, I wasn't impressed

Was only fair though I have sunk over 500k and just started Happy Times (well it was for him not so much me )

Dont worry Captain Wolfe see it as payment in full for the havoc your about to wreak !
I think that's cool! A game that gives you a false sense of security and then clobbers you. I had this "bug" happen several times but the DD's were usually a great distance and after rebooting they always turned away. Now I have to rethink all this, maybe the DD's really got a whiff of my cook's "fish stew" and needs to put an end to that right now. So from now on I'll be on guard when these DD's detach. It might be more than just a "bug".
Thanks for the heads up!!!
D40
Old 04-25-12, 09:56 AM   #9
L30P4RD
Watch

Downloads: 60

Ha what do ya know again today (we are on a roll) and this time he followed me all the way to the bay of Biscay then gave up after getting into axis air cover, funny thing was after he gave up right outside Brest a frikin hurricane (plane) showed up and started strafing and bombing me right in Luftwaffe airspace too, I didn't have report contact available as I had just reported the DD chasing me hoping for air cover. I dove and the plane picked up on a German merchant and promptly started attacking that. I blame TDW for his IRAI mod but in a good way of course couple that with the fish stew and your as good as dead , just goes to show when ya close to home you aint safe either so put the stew on hold for when yur at 150 meters below
L30P4RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-12, 09:04 PM   #10
happymeal2
Watch

Downloads: 27

If i may make a suggestion (this is what i do when i get this bug) use it as free tonnage. Get him positioned so hes between you and a coast, and run him straight into it; he'll stop before running aground. Then, get to one side of him, and give him one torp right in the middle. Destroyer gone. Free tonnage.

Just make sure you stay outside the sound range. Im not sure how they react when theyre bugged like that.
happymeal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-12, 11:35 PM   #11
Captain Wolfe
Watch

I'm not sure if what I experienced is the bug people are mentioning because he was following my general track and constantly doing 360 spirals like he was searching for me, then as soon as I was forced to surface he stopped doing that and made a bee line for me and toasted me.
Old 05-01-12, 12:04 AM   #12
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89

The "velcro destroyer" is easily dealt with using anti-AI maneuvers. It always remains at a fixed distance and circles. It also (from my own observations) never exceeds 14 or 15 knots. When the opportunity arises, steering in the exact opposite direction at flank speed until it is ~20-30km away, which will remove it from active processing, essentially deleting the bugged unit. The AI bug never has it close faster than 15 knots, meaning it can be outrun. Naturally, this burns tons of fuel and may not be practicable, depending on individual circumstances. However, this is the only way to make it go away without the reload trick.
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-12, 09:07 PM   #13
happymeal2
Watch

Downloads: 27

Quote:
I'm not sure if what I experienced is the bug people are mentioning because he was following my general track and constantly doing 360 spirals like he was searching for me, then as soon as I was forced to surface he stopped doing that and made a bee line for me and toasted me.
It sounds alot like it is; i get it 2-3 times a patrol (i hang out around harbors and ports alot ) and what you described is exactly what happens to me. Just run him aground and torp him or do what was described above to outrun him.
happymeal2 is offline   Reply With Quote