Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-12-11, 03:22 AM   #1
Betonov
Navy Seal

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 0

Default Clueless traveler guide: Berlin

Off to Berlin for the new years. For 5 whole days. So, places to see, museums to visit, clubs to go, restaurants to eat, streets to avoid, prices, people, customs... the works

So, any suggestions and ideas
Betonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-11, 05:59 AM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Have lived there for ten years, but honestly cannot recommend to go there at all.

Berliner mentality: many of the young ones nowadays have moved there and are no original Berliners. The old-fashioned Berliners however can be extremely unfriendly and call that "Berliner Schnauze", meaning it as a hasrh but heartly attitude. But it isn'T, it simply is lacking politeness and lack of care and manners. Do not be surprised if occassionally you happen to run into an older Berliner and catch yourself some snappy comment out of the blue. Don'T start arguments, it only gets you into more of the same - stay Vulcan.

Museums: Deutsches Museum, or the Museumsinsel with a whole collection of such - places... No museum fan myself, I admit.

If it were spring or summer or autumn, I would say make sure you catch a sight of the large forests and lakes, Berlin is the greeniest city of its size in Europe. Some nice cafes out there.

Surrounding the Western Grunewald to the East, where Charlottenburg and Zehlendorf districts are located, you have the richer, nicier part of Berlin homes. The Eastern parts of the city, and the centre, are more dirty, emotionless, lacking asthetic and "Gemütlichkeit". Some streets have been renovated since the wall came down, some not.

Do not underestimate the danger level of Berlin by night, this has changed dramatically since the 80s. Where I used to go alone at night back then, I wouldn't do that today anymore. Almost every day there is news in the papers of street violence, burning cars, and people getting beaten up in the subway. My father left the city four years ago or so, and until the end had to drive car in the late evening (being an orchestra musician), he also said that it grew worse during the thirty years he was there. That should not be a dramatic appeall by me, I just mean: be careful, do not walk alone in the subway at night, such things.

Biggest shopping malls are 1st the Kurfürstendamm from Breitscheidplatz in the East to Adenauer Plaza in the West, and 2nd the Schlossstrasse in Schöneberg, especially it'S Western half. These two are the biggest there are. Nightlife for the most seems to be located in the former "East" of the city, though, but is said to slowly shift back to the former Western city's centre around the Kurfürstendamm. Cannot judge that myself, I never was a club examiner checking a "scene".

East of Berlin is a famous natural area that maybe also in winter is worth the day tour, the Spreewald. An ethjnic minority lives there embewdded both in the beautiful nature with many small rivers and the forest, and its traditions. But this is probbaly not what you are looking for, so... Just wanted to mention it. I am more the landscapes and nature type, you see. Museums and city life usually do not catch my interest.

Ooops, almpost fprgot that: watch where you are walking. The city is incredibly dirty - lots of dogsh!te almost everywhere. Dog owners simply do not care.
Old 12-12-11, 03:48 PM   #3
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
The city is incredibly dirty
This I find difficult to believe. Not doubting you at all Sky, it's just so,... unGerman!

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-11, 04:06 PM   #4
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
This I find difficult to believe. Not doubting you at all Sky, it's just so,... unGerman!
Next he'll be telling us the trains don't run on time.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-11, 04:09 PM   #5
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
I once saw a German train pull into the station about 10 minutes late. The station master came out and tore a patch off the conductors butt that would have carpeted the reichstag.

Old 12-12-11, 04:32 PM   #6
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
Which actually is true. And the city trains called S-Bahn will maybe not drive at all. It's incompetence and mismanagement there since years. Therefore, the Berliner S-Bahn is in the headlines at least once a week. Their trains are not winter-proof and tend to breakl down. We had that with several ICE trains last winter as well. And frozen toilets, and trains with temperatures at zero degrees.

Germany is not that German anymore at all!
Old 12-12-11, 06:03 PM   #7
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Quote:
Which actually is true. And the city trains called S-Bahn will maybe not drive at all. It's incompetence and mismanagement there since years. Therefore, the Berliner S-Bahn is in the headlines at least once a week. Their trains are not winter-proof and tend to breakl down. We had that with several ICE trains last winter as well. And frozen toilets, and trains with temperatures at zero degrees.

Yeah, but have they ever claimed that leaves have brought the network to a standstill? Or ever the wrong type of snow?
Old 12-12-11, 06:10 PM   #8
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Maybe it's just me but that's an incredibly sad thing to hear.

Old 12-12-11, 10:50 PM   #9
Kongo Otto
Commodore

Downloads: 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Well go to Berlin-Neukölln and then show me a German.
Thats the same as going to Iran and search for an Israeli.
Kongo Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-11, 01:25 AM   #10
Penguin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 92

From Wikitravel on German culture:
Quote:
A late-running train is considered a sign of the degradation of society.
quod erat demonstrandum
Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-11, 06:40 AM   #11
Skybird
Soaring

Since I complained about the Berliner S-Bahn so much, this news is just in (Der Tagesspiegel). The complete S-Bahn traffic has just collapsed and came to a complete standstill. Even the internal communication links have broken down, the drivers need to use their private cellphones.

This could be due a technical major issue in one of the technical key-hotspots, maybe caused by the constant underfunding and thus lacking maintenance which plagues the S-Bahn since years and at times had over 60% of its trains taken out of action without repalcements for the missing trains in the ongoing traffic scheme (causing to 2 hours delays and more where trains should drive every 15 minutes or so, and then being hopelessly overcrowded).

It could also be the result of another attack on the S-Bahn, because since several weeks a leftist anarchist gang chases the company by laying fires and damaging trains and tracks.

But this today - is a total breakdown of the complete network.
Old 12-12-11, 08:04 AM   #12
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

I'm guessing your more interested in the Military stuff since your posting on Subsim. Keep in mind I've never been to Berlin, but I know of these places.

At the Allied Museum in the old American Sector they have the guard shack from Check Point Charlie, and one of the Berlin Air Lift transports. At the site of Check Point Charlie there is another museum that chronicles the wall and the different escape attempts; they have a midget submarine there that was used to cross the Baltic.

At the Soviet War Memorial there are some Howitzers and T-34s.

There is the "Topography of Terror" Museum which chronicles the SS and Gestapo.

The Luftwaffenmuseum der Bundeswehr (German Air Force museum) has a bunch of aircraft.

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-11, 08:25 AM   #13
Skybird
Soaring

Oh, I forgot Gatow, former RAF base. It is a military aviation museum - and a pretty big one.

Check Google Earth at N52°28'24"/E13°08'35".
Old 12-12-11, 09:03 AM   #14
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

A few sites of info:

http://www.visitberlin.de/en

http://www.visitberlin.de/en/plan/city-info

http://www.justberlin.org/

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-11, 09:11 AM   #15
Betonov
Navy Seal

Downloads: 26

Thanks and keep them comming

I'll write a guide and publish it for Subsimers when I return. I just hope the term Clueless traveler isn't already taken, I like it P.S. Yep, already taken (blody hell khm I mean Verdamnt), need a new name

@Skybird's first post: sounds just like Ljubljana
Betonov is offline   Reply With Quote