SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-24-11, 10:27 AM   #1
Rongel
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 174
Uploads: 0
Default Sound modding with Goblin editor, help needed!

Hi,

I just found out that you can mod sounds with Goblin editor. I tried using Basa_FX.dat and Basa_FX.dat. It seems that there is much more you can do with this than fiddling around with sound files.

But my question is that how can you know what sound file to play, because using Goblin editor, sound-clips are named differently than in basic data/sounds folder. For example depth charge explosion is named "Particles.DepthCharge_Splash", and there is not a sound clip with that name in basic sound folder. Is there a name/link list of some sort somewhere? Does anybody know what I'm talkin about ?
Rongel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 10:56 AM   #2
Torpedo
Torpedoman

Downloads: 1067

Default Depth charges splashing on water surface 1.wav

Hi!
I think it's this file:

Depth charges splashing on water surface 1.wav

Torpedo
Torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 11:24 AM   #3
Rongel
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Hi!
I think it's this file:

Depth charges splashing on water surface 1.wav

Torpedo
Yes you might be right, but I need more! I'm trying to add another sound to one particular effect but I don't know it's name in the Goblin world. Well it doesn't look too good, it seems that there can't be two different sounds coming from one effect. But if somebody knows more of this, please give a hint or two! If it's possible to do anything smart with goblin editor to sounds. Ultimate goal is ofcourse getting "Depthcharges in the water" and "Enemy is pinging" sounds....
Old 01-24-11, 03:25 PM   #4
Stormfly
Serial Port Protector

Downloads: 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rongel View Post
Yes you might be right, but I need more! I'm trying to add another sound to one particular effect but I don't know it's name in the Goblin world. Well it doesn't look too good, it seems that there can't be two different sounds coming from one effect. But if somebody knows more of this, please give a hint or two! If it's possible to do anything smart with goblin editor to sounds. Ultimate goal is ofcourse getting "Depthcharges in the water" and "Enemy is pinging" sounds....
check /data/sound/sh.sdl using S3D...

inside the SDL file, logical (goblin) sound names are connected with their file names. Also very important, if a sound is marked as a "3D Sound" there, make shure it is mono then.

Stormfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 03:56 PM   #5
Rongel
Grey Wolf

Quote:
check /data/sound/sh.sdl using S3D...

inside the SDL file, logical (goblin) sound names are connected with their file names. Also very important, if a sound is marked as a "3D Sound" there, make shure it is mono then.
Thanks! You are a lifesaver! Maybe now I can finally make a bit more better airplane gun sounds, or have you done it already?
Old 01-24-11, 09:33 PM   #6
Stormfly
Serial Port Protector

Quote:
Thanks! You are a lifesaver! Maybe now I can finally make a bit more better airplane gun sounds, or have you done it already?
i never touched something in the granny files, even if i would, we need more different things to come or ?

Old 01-25-11, 11:27 AM   #7
Rongel
Grey Wolf

Ha! I managed to get "Wasserbomben!" audio when depth charges are dropped! Hooray for me It's not perfect yet, but what a difference! I will put it in my next mod update. There are so much more things that you could do with sounds in the dsd-files! Goblin editor is a bit scary program but finally a good, working outcome!

Thanks again Stormfly for the S3D info, really helpful and crucial tool! And your own mod has been a big help when looking into things. And yes we need more stuff!
Old 01-25-11, 11:45 AM   #8
stoianm
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 833
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Ha! I managed to get "Wasserbomben!" audio when depth charges are dropped! Hooray for me It's not perfect yet, but what a difference! I will put it in my next mod update. There are so much more things that you could do with sounds in the dsd-files! Goblin editor is a bit scary program but finally a good, working outcome!

Thanks again Stormfly for the S3D info, really helpful and crucial tool! And your own mod has been a big help when looking into things. And yes we need more stuff!
Cool Rongel,

I was looking a lot for a sound mod where i can hear when the charges are dropped - al the mods that i tried i was able to hear only when the depth charges explode. Can you share the sounds for the dropped depth charges please.

Thank's
stoianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-11, 02:16 PM   #9
Stormfly
Serial Port Protector

Quote:

...would be nice to make it also modular aviable, it would help implementing good stuff into other big sound compilations or supermods.

...btw, most wanted trigger is "destroyer in attack run"

Old 01-25-11, 02:50 PM   #10
Rongel
Grey Wolf

Hi!

Yes, I will soon make a just a basic "Wasserbomben!" mod that contains nothing else. It can be then applied to larger sound mod compilations. Right now the audio is a non-3D sound that can be heard everywhere and it playes whenever depth charge is dropped. There is a option to shuffle several different "wasserbomben" -soundclips but I'm not sure if it sounds good or not. I have tested this and it looks fine but let's hope that there's no hidden suprises.

I think it's possible to make the sound come from the soundguy (the right audio exists and so does the lipsync-file and there is a command in Goblin editor that looks suitable) and to make it a 3D sound, but right now I can't do it. Need help or example.
Old 01-25-11, 03:45 PM   #11
Stormfly
Serial Port Protector

Quote:
Hi!

Yes, I will soon make a just a basic "Wasserbomben!" mod that contains nothing else. It can be then applied to larger sound mod compilations. Right now the audio is a non-3D sound that can be heard everywhere and it playes whenever depth charge is dropped. There is a option to shuffle several different "wasserbomben" -soundclips but I'm not sure if it sounds good or not. I have tested this and it looks fine but let's hope that there's no hidden suprises.

I think it's possible to make the sound come from the soundguy (the right audio exists and so does the lipsync-file and there is a command in Goblin editor that looks suitable) and to make it a 3D sound, but right now I can't do it. Need help or example.
if using that goblin trigger, try maybe executing a script with it, from there you can play crew voices, like "mighty fine crew mod`s" sound scripts... iam not shure if it would be possible to assign or execute a crew voice directly from the goblin editor.