Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-11-11, 12:10 PM   #1
Marcantilan
Weps

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default Jolly Roger flag - from 1982 to present day

Hello all,

I´m putting together an article about the usage of the Jolly Roger flag, from the South Atlantic War to this day.

Already, I have.

HMS Conqueror from the South Atlantic War - 1 kill mark (C-4) & 1 dagger for special ops near islands capital.

HMS Onyx also from South Atlantic War - 1 dagger for special ops near the islands capital.

HMS Sealion, from South Atlantic deployment (1987) - 2 daggers for special ops disembark & embark, Argentine mainland.

HMS Opossum, from Gulf War 1 (1991) - Just the Jolly Roger (some press speculated about special ops, Irak mainland)

HMS Otus, from Gulf War 1 (1991) - Just the Jolly Roger (some press speculated about special ops, Irak mainland)

HMS Splendid, from Kosovo (1999) - Hammer and stars for Tomahawk bombing mission.

(No pic)
HMS Trafalgar & HMS Superb, returning from Red Sea (December 2001), after Tomahawk bombing mission to Kabul.

HMS Turbulent, returning from Gulf War 2, after Tomahawk bombing to Bagdad.

My question is, I missed any Jolly Roger use &, anyone have better pics to share?

Thanks a lot!
Mariano

PS: Already posted in Submariners Association (UK) forum, but I think could be useful here (for my article and interesting to discuss here)
Old 01-11-11, 12:37 PM   #2
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

A closer one of Conqueror

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-11, 01:56 PM   #3
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Cool shots, guys!
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-11, 03:51 PM   #4
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Zeeleeuw (2) flying a Jolly Roger, during an exercise somewhere off the U.K. SSE. coast, in order to provoke a British frigate. Sometime between 1 and 4 Oct 2001. (Photo: © Hr.Ms. Zeeleeuw website).
another photo of Conquer:

USS Ohio, reason unknown (probably just fooling around...)

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-11, 07:03 PM   #5
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Are you going to just collect imagery off of the Internet Tubes or will you also be going into the history of why and how this flag was used.

I think that would be interesting to read.
Old 01-12-11, 03:25 AM   #6
Matador.es
Chief

Downloads: 30

@Platapus:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jolly_Roger#By_submarines

@Marcantilan
Just for the record on the photos. The current "Gulf War' is the third, not the second. The second Gulf War is the '91 outbreak.

The first gulf war was from sept. 1980 till aug. 1988. It was this war in which the US supplied Iran with F-14 TomCats, Stingers, and all other sorts of weapons what, nowadays is the most inconvenient thing ever happened since most of the weapons are still in use by the US..... also in case of an intervention with Iran. Though this should not be any argument to leave it out of the Gulf war "counting".

But sure nice photos!
Matador.es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 06:24 AM   #7
Penguin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 92

Wow, interesting! Didn't know the use of the Jolly Roger by british subs untill now, so I can't contribute anything, but looking forward to the article!
Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 07:54 AM   #8
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
Wow, interesting! Didn't know the use of the Jolly Roger by british subs untill now, so I can't contribute anything, but looking forward to the article!
There are a great many more if you go back to the WWII era but the OP dateline is 1982 onwards.

Old 01-12-11, 08:13 AM   #9
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador.es View Post
@Platapus:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jolly_Roger#By_submarines

@Marcantilan
Just for the record on the photos. The current "Gulf War' is the third, not the second. The second Gulf War is the '91 outbreak.

The first gulf war was from sept. 1980 till aug. 1988. It was this war in which the US supplied Iran with F-14 TomCats, Stingers, and all other sorts of weapons what, nowadays is the most inconvenient thing ever happened since most of the weapons are still in use by the US..... also in case of an intervention with Iran. Though this should not be any argument to leave it out of the Gulf war "counting".

But sure nice photos!
The most commonly accepted names for these wars (At least in English) are the Iran-Iraq War, Gulf War and Iraq War respectively.

Also, the US did not supply Iran with weaponry during the Iran-Iraq War, IIRC it in fact supplied Iraq rather extensively. Iran did have US-made weapons which it acquired before the revolution, but the lack of ability to get replacement parts for them was a major problem for the Iranian military.
Old 01-12-11, 08:19 AM   #10
Penguin
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna View Post
There are a great many more if you go back to the WWII era but the OP dateline is 1982 onwards.
So do you think that the order to raise the black flag on the u-boats during the capitulation has a connection to this fact?
Old 01-12-11, 08:28 AM   #11
heartc
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 71

What Raptor said, with regards to the nomenclature at least (beat me to it).

heartc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 09:00 AM   #12
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
So do you think that the order to raise the black flag on the u-boats during the capitulation has a connection to this fact?
I couldn't say for sure but IMHO I'd have thought it was more a way of sending a 'dark sorrowful message' a kind of 'mourning' if you like.

Old 01-12-11, 10:28 AM   #13
Penguin
Ocean Warrior

hmm, interesting, I haven't seen the flags in the mourning sense till now. Maybe. As you certainly know the u-boat crews preceived it that they were branded as pirates, so this makes the use of the Jolly Roger by the British so remarkable to me.
Old 01-12-11, 03:56 PM   #14
Matador.es
Chief

Downloads: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor1 View Post
Also, the US did not supply Iran with weaponry during the Iran-Iraq War, IIRC it in fact supplied Iraq rather extensively. Iran did have US-made weapons which it acquired before the revolution, but the lack of ability to get replacement parts for them was a major problem for the Iranian military.
You do make a point that Iran was not supplied during the war, 4 till 2 years before the war.

About the parts for maintenance:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16648850...news-military/

But there is no reason to worry, the russians have supplied iran with subs that are good enough to hoist a jolly roger for a carrier hit before the only two countries in the world who have F-14's can use them in combat.

Aircraft carriers seem to become obsolete lately….
Matador.es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 09:51 PM   #15
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador.es View Post
You do make a point that Iran was not supplied during the war, 4 till 2 years before the war.

About the parts for maintenance:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16648850...news-military/

But there is no reason to worry, the russians have supplied iran with subs that are good enough to hoist a jolly roger for a carrier hit before the only two countries in the world who have F-14's can use them in combat.

Aircraft carriers seem to become obsolete lately….
I would not worry too much about the Russian Supplied Kilo subs. They are a downgraded Project 877 export types. Its electronics and especially sonar is junk. Their refits (one complete and one in progress) have only added minor improvements (C-801s from 2 tubes, better batteries), but we are still talking vintage late 1970s tech here.

A lot of people like to talk about the Iranian F-14As but remember their AIM-54s are expended and only half are operational. The bigger A/A threat is their MiG-29B Fulcrum-As, which are increasingly dated. For Anti-carrier strikes the only major threat is the 24 or so Su-24 Fencers and whatever F-4s they have rigged to fire the 40Nm range C-801Ks or the 64nm ranged C-802K (very few 802Ks in service). The IIRAF (and IRGCAF) only have about 250 combat aircraft, none of them modern, very quickly they could they could find themselves being overwhelmed by superior numbers of better fighters.

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote