SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-16-10, 11:56 AM   #1
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12
Default [TEC] Insights into the crew system

Hi,

in order to create yet another crew model, I have been trying to find out how the compartment efficiency is calculated depending on how many and which sailors are in the compartment. Since the results might be interesting for other modders, I share them. My findings are:

Efficiency = (M*(1-c_m)+c_m)*(F*(c_f-1)+1)

M: morale of crew member
c_m: CoefMorale in basic.cfg
F: fatigue of crew member
c_f: CoefFatigue in basic.cfg

The total efficiency is the sum of all the efficiencies of the crew members in the compartment. For petty officers the efficiency is multiplied with the QualEffect factor from basic.cfg (if they have the qualification corresponding to the compartment). For officers the total efficiency in the compartment is multiplied by QualEffect. Thus, having an officer with the right qualification is most important.

As you can see, via choosing c_m=1 you can have a crew model only depending on fatigue and via c_f=1 a model depending only on morale.

Unfortunately, there are still two open questions:

1) What influence has the 'specialability' variable in the crew files?

2) What is the exact meaning of the intervalx_y values in basic.cfg beyond what is posted in the thread http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show....php?p=1391977

If someone has any information about these two issues, I would be happy to know it.

One last remark: The equation above is different from earlier findings posted here. I am not sure how the earlier results were obtained, but I could not reproduce them. If someone knows that the result here is wrong, I would be happy to know. Currently, I am trying to get a good long-term fatigue model that does not require the player to micromanage the crew, but also does not completely remove the crew efficiency like the no-fatigue model.

Cheers, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 01:40 PM   #2
Royale-Adio
Officer

Downloads: 119
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGN1 View Post
Hi,

in order to create yet another crew model, I have been trying to find out how the compartment efficiency is calculated depending on how many and which sailors are in the compartment. Since the results might be interesting for other modders, I share them. My findings are:

Efficiency = (M*(1-c_m)+c_m)*(F*(c_f-1)+1)

M: morale of crew member
c_m: CoefMorale in basic.cfg
F: fatigue of crew member
c_f: CoefFatigue in basic.cfg

The total efficiency is the sum of all the efficiencies of the crew members in the compartment. For petty officers the efficiency is multiplied with the QualEffect factor from basic.cfg (if they have the qualification corresponding to the compartment). For officers the total efficiency in the compartment is multiplied by QualEffect. Thus, having an officer with the right qualification is most important.

As you can see, via choosing c_m=1 you can have a crew model only depending on fatigue and via c_f=1 a model depending only on morale.

Unfortunately, there are still two open questions:

1) What influence has the 'specialability' variable in the crew files?

2) What is the exact meaning of the intervalx_y values in basic.cfg beyond what is posted in the thread http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show....php?p=1391977

If someone has any information about these two issues, I would be happy to know it.

One last remark: The equation above is different from earlier findings posted here. I am not sure how the earlier results were obtained, but I could not reproduce them. If someone knows that the result here is wrong, I would be happy to know. Currently, I am trying to get a good long-term fatigue model that does not require the player to micromanage the crew, but also does not completely remove the crew efficiency like the no-fatigue model.

Cheers, LGN1
Are you saying you want to replace those SH3 droids models?
Old 07-16-10, 09:33 PM   #3
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

That's not what he's talking about.
After reading his other post and some contact through PM?
I'm interested to learn more.
Old 07-16-10, 11:57 PM   #4
Royale-Adio
Officer

Downloads: 119
Uploads: 5

My bad. I thought he wanted to help others with that matter.

I understand now what he meant by crew model, like a fatigue model.
Old 07-27-10, 02:30 PM   #5
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Hi,

@Royale-Adio: Yes, I meant a crew/fatigue model. Sorry for the confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer View Post
That's not what he's talking about.
After reading his other post and some contact through PM?
I'm interested to learn more.
@privateer: I always thought you and the GWX team know SH3 inside-out and there are no news for you anymore. I am still learning and trying to figure out how things work inside, but the progress is slow so any help is highly appreciated. At the moment I am trying to find out how efficiency influences the sensors. I found several posts from Kpt. Lehmann about this, but no real hard facts If you or anyone else have/has some information about this (or know someone who has information), I would be glad to know. Thanks in advance!

Cheers, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-10, 09:58 PM   #6
Damo
Captain

Downloads: 248
Uploads: 0

The OP makes interesting reading, but alas, I have no idea when it comes down to all that E=MC2 stuff so I can be of no help. I did make a post a while back about trying to simulate a fatigue model that whilst under normal transit conditions the crew didn't fatigue as if watch schedules rotated automatically and the crew stayed fresh, but upon coming under attack or commencing an attack the less experienced members would fatigue faster to simulate fear and confusion over their duties.

I personally play with fatigue off, but while I use manual targeting/plotting I still feel it's a bit of a cheat, despite the fact that the chief of the boat would not be responsible for crew management in a real life scenario so it'd be nice to have some kind of fatigue like I described to add an extra element into the hunt.

Good luck on your endeavor and I'll follow this thread with interest.

Damo.

The owl and the pussycat went to sea in a beautiful pea-green boat.
It only took one T1 eel to convince that boat not to float.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-10, 12:55 AM   #7
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0

@LGN1: What is your intention behind your work? Are repair times also affected by that?

@Damo: I also play with Fatigue=Off, because I think in critical situations the people do their job regardless of being tired or not. I installed numerous of mods which make life harder for me, so using Fatigue=Off is only one little step back to make life a bit easier.