SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-26-10, 07:06 PM   #1
Fozzy22
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 23
Uploads: 0
Default First patrol on GWX3 didn't go so well :)

Ok, so I'm ordered to a grid with a few "target ships" that i think i can sink as a test for my shakdown cruise. On destroying a few ships with british flags and after the 24 hour patrol time i head for home. I get damaged without any reason while just going on my merry way repair the damage and think it's just a malfunction (I think part of SH3 Commanders options). I start to suspect something is wrong when a friendly coastal battery opens fire on me causing heavy damage and i must stay submerged crawling/scraping along the sea bed back to port, on arrival i surface and all nearby ships open fire on me totally destroying me.

What did I do wrong? At the end it listed 8 Neutral ships sunk.
Fozzy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-10, 07:09 PM   #2
KL-alfman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 86

sorry for the LOL, but:
you started your own private war with the world when sinking ships in August 1939!
Old 03-26-10, 07:13 PM   #3
Fozzy22
Machinist's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL-alfman View Post

sorry for the LOL, but:
you started your own private war with the world when sinking ships in August 1939!
Strange as every progress report i sent to Bdu came back with a reply
"Well done, continue patrol and seek targets in area blah"....or something along those lines.
Old 03-26-10, 07:29 PM   #4
KL-alfman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy22 View Post
Strange as every progress report i sent to Bdu came back with a reply
"Well done, continue patrol and seek targets in area blah"....or something along those lines.

and the obligatory: "be more aggressive!"

no problem:
in GWX there is this first patrol in August, it's meant to sail around for some days then come back to port. don't know exactly why, but some *.dat-files need this approach. and only after this first patrol you should consider upgrading your boat, do it before and it could end in disaster too.
but read the GWX-manual, it helps a lot.
Old 03-26-10, 07:30 PM   #5
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Did you perchance start in August 1939 with the 7th Flotilla out of Konigsberg?

Same thing happened to me. IIRC it works like this:

If you attack a ship from a neutral nation at any time (or on any date), that nation will consider you an enemy vessel and treat you accordingly for the following 24 hours.

Prior to the start of hostilities on Sept 1, the game considers all nations to be neutral.

The "target ships" are all German. I assume this to be the case, since it's unlikely that Britain or any other nation would be supplying target ships for the Kriegsmarine.

If you fire on them during an Aug 1939 shakedown patrol (standing GWX orders notwithstanding), the game considers this an attack on "neutral" German vessels. Consequently all German AI forces will treat you as an enemy for 24 hours.

Way around this, as I understand it, is to use the "teleport" function to return to base without cruising all the way back there past German warships and land-based batteries (Esc, Exit Patrol, Dock at: Konigsberg).
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-10, 07:56 PM   #6
Fozzy22
Machinist's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
Did you perchance start in August 1939 with the 7th Flotilla out of Konigsberg?

Same thing happened to me. IIRC it works like this:

If you attack a ship from a neutral nation at any time (or on any date), that nation will consider you an enemy vessel and treat you accordingly for the following 24 hours.

Prior to the start of hostilities on Sept 1, the game considers all nations to be neutral.

The "target ships" are all German. I assume this to be the case, since it's unlikely that Britain or any other nation would be supplying target ships for the Kriegsmarine.

If you fire on them during an Aug 1939 shakedown patrol (standing GWX orders notwithstanding), the game considers this an attack on "neutral" German vessels. Consequently all German AI forces will treat you as an enemy for 24 hours.

Way around this, as I understand it, is to use the "teleport" function to return to base without cruising all the way back there past German warships and land-based batteries (Esc, Exit Patrol, Dock at: Konigsberg).
Yep that is exactly where I have started and it's happened to me lol.

So the tip of the day, on first patrol do nothing haha.
Old 03-26-10, 07:57 PM   #7
Fozzy22
Machinist's Mate

Quote:
and the obligatory: "be more aggressive!"

no problem:
in GWX there is this first patrol in August, it's meant to sail around for some days then come back to port. don't know exactly why, but some *.dat-files need this approach. and only after this first patrol you should consider upgrading your boat, do it before and it could end in disaster too.
but read the GWX-manual, it helps a lot.
Yeah i'll stick to just sailing around aimlessly for the first patrol.
Old 03-26-10, 08:06 PM   #8
remowilliams
Loader

Downloads: 16

Quote:
That's exactly what I did on my first GWX patrol.
remowilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-10, 08:10 PM   #9
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Yep that is exactly where I have started and it's happened to me lol.

So the tip of the day, on first patrol do nothing haha.
Oh, the target ships were just the tip of the iceberg. IIRC my orders also mentioned sinking the small convoy crossing the bay. I kinda wondered how anybody's convoy could consist of "enemy" ships in August 1939, but... orders is orders!
Old 03-26-10, 08:52 PM   #10
KeptinCranky
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 3

No No NO, all wrong, avoid the Konigsberg hassle and just do whatever you feel you need to do in the Naval academy with a test-captain, just to get a feel for what to do with your boat.
And then use your SH3 commander to start a new (for real) career in september 1939, adjust your crew to your liking, switch some eels around if you prefer to have some TIIs on board. then head to sea. It's best to start in the 2nd flotilla in Wilhelmshaven, you'll have a couple of days to get past the straits of Dover (or close to the British coastline if in a type II ). Then you get to wreak havoc in Der Kanal as soon as the war starts

Alternatively one could visit the Scottish coast west of the Orkneys, none of those pesky mines and lots of warship tonnage to be had... and a lot easier to return home from....

1939 and early 1940 is where you rack up the renown for upgrading your boat later on.. you'll need to because it never will be that easy again!

Remember the BDU mission statement: "Be More Agressive!"

KeptinCranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 03:51 AM   #11
sergei
Sea Lord

Downloads: 405
Uploads: 29

Seconded. I like to start in Sept '39. That way I'm just approaching the Shetlands when war breaks out.
sergei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 07:30 AM   #12
RConch
Captain

Downloads: 503

With full knowlege from other posters in the past concerning the 7th, I don't lay a finger on any of those ships.
I use the initial renown to "buy" a solid IWO (watch and mach skills), do my couple of days sailing around till I transfer to the 2nd after the radio message to return on the 4th.
Go to my new base and "buy" the improved hydrophones with my remaining starting renown and start out on my first war patrol.
There is no down side to not attacking those "target ships" ect.
Old 03-27-10, 07:48 AM   #13
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Yeah i'll stick to just sailing around aimlessly for the first patrol.
Permit me.......

You are given extra renown in GWX3.0 to nullify the renown hit you take for sinking the 'British' ships.

The general idea was we wanted you to have the opportunity to practice using your boats and weapons systems prior to the commencement of hostilities.

Set SH3 Commander to 20 days in port

Choose 7th Flotilla out of Konigsberg

Commence August 39 (game will automatically choose 1st day of the month BECAUSE YOU HAVEN'T UPGRADED ANYTHING...HAVE YOU?)

On day 4 of your patrol you'll be ordered back to base

Teleport back

Apply for a transfer to 1st or 2nd Flotilla

Patrol 2 will commence on 24th August which allows you to travel to your assigned patrol grid unmolested prior to the commencement of hostilities (which is precisely what happened in RL).

SINK EM ALL!!

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 12:06 PM   #14
Fozzy22
Machinist's Mate

Thanks all for the tips, it should be ok from now on (I hope )

Also how do you teleport back? (sorry not played SH3 for a while since my last official patrol )
Old 03-27-10, 12:10 PM   #15
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Hit Esc, choose Exit Patrol, then click Dock At: [your home base] in the lower right of screen.

You will be instantly docked at your home base without having to sail there from your patrol grid or wherever you are.

But I think if you are at 100% realism maybe this option is no longer available.