Uploads: 0
Default CNET/Gamespot torpedoes SH5

The CNET review of SH5 is now online here
Old 03-25-10, 12:20 PM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Seemed reasonbly fair - the good with the bad. They ended with the same conclusion a lot of players have: stick with SH3 or SH4 until SH5 has had time to percolate for awhile.
Old 03-25-10, 12:27 PM   #3
Sonarman
The Old Man

Downloads: 79

Yes, I thought it was pretty well written and covered most of the bases. You do wonder why these things weren't so apparent to Ubisoft themselves.
Old 03-25-10, 01:10 PM   #4
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5

Hard to argue with just about anything there. The reviewer was obviously familiar with previous titles and knew what SH is all about.

Quote:
Having to race around giving commands is annoying. It's impossible to do it effectively during combat, because by the time you get back to the engine room to tell your engineer to overcharge the diesel, you're on the bottom of the ocean. Doing so much in person is a bit nonsensical, too, given how real U-boats featured onboard voice tubes that let officers boss around the great unwashed
Couldent have said it better myself.
Old 03-25-10, 01:14 PM   #5
Nordmann
Commodore

Downloads: 62

I think it was fair, given the circumstances. At least it didn't expressly condemn the game for all eternity, nor did the reviewer resort to childish attempts at humour. Overall, I believe it was an accurate appraisal of the game's current state (that is not to say it will not improve with time and patches, assuming there are any more).

I remember SH4 receiving some harsh criticism back in the day, and in the end, it didn't turn out all too badly (with mods of course).
Old 03-25-10, 01:25 PM   #6
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

I think it was a great and well written review. Hard to fault anything in there. Except one part:

Regarding the missions, he says
Quote:
It's a little too much like you're clocking numbers, hoping to win the war if your sunk-ship totals wind up higher than the other guy's
Which is basically what the whole point of the Battle of the Atlantic was. I don't believe that was a fair criticism. But unfortunately, everything else was.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-10, 01:30 PM   #7
Fragmate
Swabbie

Downloads: 61
Default GameSpot is sinking SH5 too...

Here`s the link:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sim/silen...r5/review.html
Fragmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-10, 01:33 PM   #8
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragmate View Post
That is a link but I aint gonna sign up to gamespot just to read a review. Besides the link was in the anchor post.
Old 03-25-10, 01:42 PM   #9
Filson
Watch

Downloads: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonarman View Post
Yes, I thought it was pretty well written and covered most of the bases. You do wonder why these things weren't so apparent to Ubisoft themselves.
I think the suits at Ubi knew full well what the situation was and they just didn't care. I have not played the game . . . yet. But from everything I have heard it seems the suits demanded changes to make it more "accessible" and rushed it out the door before it was ready. That along with their draconian DRM sank the game before it ever hit the shelves. I think it came down to them asking whether it was worth investing any more time in development or just push it out and hope to recoup some money.

I think the only way Silent Hunter has a future is if an independent house develops it and somehow acquires the rights to the Silent Hunter name. Clearly this type of game cannot and should not be published by a large entertainment company because they will undoubtedly make all the wrong decisions.

C Filson
Filson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-10, 01:42 PM   #10
Fragmate
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamWake View Post
That is a link but I aint gonna sign up to gamespot just to read a review. Besides the link was in the anchor post.
I have not signed and i can read it.
Old 03-25-10, 01:53 PM   #11
Sonarman
The Old Man

@Fragmate
The text of the CNET & Gamespot articles seem to be the same so if you've read the CNET one...

@ Filson
Fully agree, I think also this is what happens when a company puts it's shareholders ahead of it's customers. Hopefully Ubisoft will learn from this experience and the SH series will not pay the price.
Old 03-25-10, 02:15 PM   #12
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Holy crrap The Witcher 2 is out... cya later !
Old 03-25-10, 02:19 PM   #13
Fragmate
Swabbie

@Sonarman

Thanks, i didn`t noticed that. Gamespot must be owned by CNet.

I think that the Pc Gamers are better be used to that kind of method. Take Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 as an exemple. It takes Steam to play the game. If you can`t log at Steam you can`t play. As far as i`m concern, nobody are complaining about Steam.

I`m not saying that i agree because, when the game is registred to your Steam account you can`t sell it anymore unless you sell your Steam account.

That`s the best way game developers founded to fight against pirates.
Old 03-25-10, 02:19 PM   #14
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonarman View Post
@ Filson
Fully agree, I think also this is what happens when a company puts it's shareholders ahead of it's customers. Hopefully Ubisoft will learn from this experience and the SH series will not pay the price.
We said that after SH4 too.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-10, 02:29 PM   #15
Sonarman
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragmate View Post

I`m not saying that i agree because, when the game is registred to your Steam account you can`t sell it anymore unless you sell your Steam account. That`s the best way game developers founded to fight against pirates.
I wonder how legal, that is I seem to remember Autodesk got into legal trouble (Verner vs Autodesk) a while back because it did not allow users to sell their used copies of 3DS Max, technically in the US. I think, it is illegal under something called "first sale doctrine". The software companies may now be getting round that by saying you are buying a service not a product.