SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-24-10, 05:15 PM   #1
Newbytoo
Nub

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0
OP Monson problem

I am a little baffled as I seem to be the only person with this problem. As soon as I install OMV705 I get ctd's 30 minutes or more into the game. This is the only mod I have installed but the crashes do persist if I add further OM patches and mod files. I have checked for the latest video and audio audio drivers and installed them, to no avail.

I do have an old spec PC (2.8 Ghz processor and 2 Mb DDR II RAM), can this cause ctd's? If anyone has had a similar problem and resolved it I would appreciate a heads up. Monson looks a fantasic mod and could persuade me away from SH3/GWX3
Newbytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-10, 05:36 PM   #2
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbytoo View Post
I am a little baffled as I seem to be the only person with this problem. As soon as I install OMV705 I get ctd's 30 minutes or more into the game. This is the only mod I have installed but the crashes do persist if I add further OM patches and mod files. I have checked for the latest video and audio audio drivers and installed them, to no avail.

I do have an old spec PC (2.8 Ghz processor and 2 Mb DDR II RAM), can this cause ctd's? If anyone has had a similar problem and resolved it I would appreciate a heads up. Monson looks a fantasic mod and could persuade me away from SH3/GWX3
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...77&postcount=1
lurker_hlb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-10, 07:07 PM   #3
Newbytoo
Nub

Hi,

ok I will play a few missions in OMV705 and make note of when and where the ctd's occur. Perhaps should of said but no problems with stock + UBM + RSRDC_SH15_V550. Thanks.
Old 03-24-10, 09:02 PM   #4
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Quote:
Hi,

ok I will play a few missions in OMV705 and make note of when and where the ctd's occur. Perhaps should of said but no problems with stock + UBM + RSRDC_SH15_V550. Thanks.
ensure you have the following "minimum" install

OM v705
OM v720
OM v720 Patch2
Old 03-24-10, 10:19 PM   #5
Newbytoo
Nub

ok I tried the Scapa Flow mission tonight (a bit of an historical favourite of mine ) I ran it without any time compression.

At game time 8:35 pm, about 35 minutes in I get the standard Windows message = Silent Hunter IV has stopped working.

MODS

RSRDC_SH15_V550
OpsMonsun V705
OMV705 to V720
OMV720 Patch 2
OMEGU 300
OMEGU 300 Patch 5A

Thanks
Old 03-25-10, 06:42 AM   #6
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Quote:
ok I tried the Scapa Flow mission tonight (a bit of an historical favourite of mine ) I ran it without any time compression.

At game time 8:35 pm, about 35 minutes in I get the standard Windows message = Silent Hunter IV has stopped working.

MODS

RSRDC_SH15_V550
OpsMonsun V705
OMV705 to V720
OMV720 Patch 2
OMEGU 300
OMEGU 300 Patch 5A

Thanks
Unable to recreate your problem
Old 03-25-10, 03:25 PM   #7
ShadowWolf Kell
Medic

Downloads: 123

This is something I've been trying to track down myself, and I think it might trace back to being an Nvidia issue with nHancer.

I've encountered CTDs with both sound mods and texture files (the german hats from RUIM for example), but I also noticed video might have something to do with it too.

Currently, the latest Nvidia driver 196.21 doesn't work with nHancer and AA. I've tried just about every setting you can think of to figure out how to get the sun halo while having AA enabled. Nothing worked. I don't even want to go into how many different combinations I tried.

Anyway I noticed some interesting things while doing this. After completely removing the nHancer profile for SH4, I noticed that on reloading the game it took much longer than normal. Like when you first install GWX. Battlefield 2 did something like this every time you made a major video option change and what it was doing was reconfiguring the graphics shaders and whatnot. I'm not sure if SH4 does this as well, but that's the impression I got.

Anyway to make long story short, by running with the standard Nvidia control panel settings set to automatic, things seemed to work much better. More importantly, if I disabled the gamma setting and set the in game settings to AAx4, AFx16, the sun halo effect worked.

Since making this change, the only time I've CTDed is one while approaching Kiel to dock. I've entered and left Scapa Flow on multiple occassions. Something I could never do due to CTDs in the past.

The problem with nHancer is that the EA Strategy Games option doesn't necessarily improve the look of graphics per se. I didn't know entirely how all this worked until I started playing around with the profile settings to get AA to work in Aliens vs Predator while not ruining the predator's heat vision mode. Normally you lose the whole heat gradients and only see blue blurs. I actually discovered a that enabled it, have smooth FPS (unlike the STALKER option) and didn't cause otgher issues or instability.

I think the EA Strategy Game option actually might lead to some instability issues since it's forcing the game to render it's graphics outside the limitations of how SH4 handles things. This can cause some major stability issues. The STALKER profile is an excellent example of this. For the vast majority of games it massively reduces FPS and can cause all sorts of weird behaviour, including CTDs. For STALKER, it actually runs rather well.

I tried every single combination for SH4 and noticed a great many cause all sorts of odd effects, especially when you start using Time Compression. I think this helps lead to random CTDs.

To expand upon this further, I started testing this out with SH5 as well. Quite a bit more obnoxious with the DRM, but something I've never had with SH5 are CTDs. Fiddling with the profile settings for AA compatibility actually introduced some CTDs to my game.

In summary, I really think that the AA compatibility options really have more to due with how it handles shaders than anything else. If you happen to have Aliens vs Predator (2010), you can verify this yourself by going through the AA compatibility options both for DX9 and DX10/11 for the beginning Predator mission and going through the landing cutscene on up to first contact (not the tutorial mission.) You'll see how it effects all sorts of stuff, including smoke, clouds, the cloaking shaders and whatnot.

Unfortunately I've about given up trying to get SH4 running in Combined 8xSQ mode.

Last edited by ShadowWolf Kell; 03-25-10 at 03:39 PM.
ShadowWolf Kell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-10, 05:57 AM   #8
McHibbins
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 80

Two questions:

Doesn´t the museum work with OM ? CTD all the time while installed as ordered.

Which files do I need to tweak, to get the standard clothes for the crew back ?

Edit : Problem 2 solved

Last edited by McHibbins; 03-26-10 at 06:55 AM.
McHibbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-10, 06:11 AM   #9
alexradu89
Lieutenant

Downloads: 94

While having OM installed don't use the museum, as the creator stated it will CTD your game, sorry.
alexradu89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-10, 06:19 AM   #10
McHibbins
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 80

Hmm ok. But aren´t there cdts ingame then also ?
My experiences with SH3 and mods were, if there are ctds in the museum, there might be ctds ingame any time.
Old 03-26-10, 03:04 PM   #11
Wilcke
The Old Man

Downloads: 234

I have been running OM since V100 in a standalone install and have yet to have a CTD. I do not run much else on this PC aside for a couple of flight sims.

The museum is a no go area.

For the best in Fleet Boats go to: Submarine Sim Central. http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php
Check out: A Brief Introduction to the Pacific Submarine War by Ducimus
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128185
Operation Monsun plus OMEGU, the #1 ATO Solution for SH4!

Signature Art by Gunfighter
Wilcke is offline   Reply With Quote