Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-10, 08:50 AM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

SH5 players, Introduce yourself: roll call I

We have a thread in the GT forum where people introduce themselves, post a pic and a little bio. I'm starting one here, because nothing helps a community more than openess and friendship. So, come on into the room, take off your hat, and put your boots on the table.

Most of you know me by now, but in short, I'm a native Texan, 50, located in Houston, and I like long walks in the moonlight. Have to consider myself a fan of Theodore Dreiser, Bruce Springsteen, and Wolf Peterson. Motorcycle rider since forever! Been playing computer games off and on since 1979. Blue Max was my first simulation.

Old 03-02-10, 08:59 AM   #2
KV
Watch

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0

I don't do pictures. But my name is Pelle, I study linguistics at Masters level after having completed a Slavonic languages BA in Lund, Sweden. I'm not really a "gamer" or whatever, but there is something about the ocean and games related to it that gets to me. At least since Wolpack on DOS...

Music? The Smiths, Field Mice, lots of stuff. Current favourite is the adagio from Beethoven's 5th piano concerto in E flat.

I'm getting SH5 from Amazon sometime next week hopefully. Looking forward to it!
Old 03-02-10, 09:18 AM   #3
Ragtag
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 163

My name is Jan from Oslo, Norway. I am 42 years old and i work as a editor for a Norwegian site that reviews games,movies and hardware, X6.no & ITpro.no.
I am also co-owner of the websites.

Love music, mostly rock'n roll/hard rock, games, Cognac, life and my girl
Favourite games are simulators. Right now it's SH5 and DCS: Black Shark
Palit RTX 2080Ti.
Fortron 1000W PSU.
BenQ XR3501R LCD.
Old 03-02-10, 09:22 AM   #4
Khayman
Lieutenant

Downloads: 2

I don't usually do pictures either, and you can see why;

I'm 38, from Scotland in the UK. Used to hang around these forums a lot when I played SH3, but drifted away. Logged in yesterday to see an unread message from Neal asking to use one of my posts in the "2007 Subsim Almanac book". Oopsie. Sorry for not replying!

My music tastes veer all over the place, so are difficult to pin down. One constant is Tanya Donelly, I adore her voice.

Have SH5 on order, and I'm playing SH4 until it arrives. Looking forward to it.
Old 03-02-10, 09:32 AM   #5
tonyj
Torpedoman

Downloads: 74

I'm Tony, i'm 38 and i'm a senior java developer at an investment bank in canary wharf, london, uk. i've been programming since i was 11. married with 4 kids. don't have any photo's handy as i'm at work.

loved sh3, didn't like sh4 but now very excited about sh5, which is currently waiting for me at home, ready to install.
Old 03-02-10, 09:34 AM   #6
Donger94107
Watch

Downloads: 8

Friends call me Bill; San Francisco Bay Area.
Recovering journalist, currently employed in the political arena.

Been on the Subsim forums for a while, at least since SHIII or was it SHII?

Big fan of naval simulations; started with North Atlantic '86 and I think U-Boat by Deadly Games was my first submarine simulation. Also, spent many, many dark nights and lost weekends with Fleet Command.

Music? Well since I'm Chinese-American, I listen to country, of course!
Old 03-02-10, 09:35 AM   #7
Conrad von Kaiser
Helmsman

Downloads: 19

Well let's see. I'm a major Civil War, WWI, and WWII History buff. 25, live in New York (No not the city lol) Play the flight sim's primarily with the FPS thrown in, console on them not the PC.

Silent Hunter III was by far my favorite of the series but when I upgraded my PC I couldn't get it to work on the new PC (I tried all the suggestions and fixes lol) Bought Silent Hunter 4 when it first came out and just found out about the U-boat missions a few days ago and downloaded them.

Found this web page by accident when reading a review on SimHQ so figured I'd register and offer what little knowledge I could offer. Plan on picking SHV up after work today.

Sub Sim's have always held a special place in my computer cabinet, only games that they get pushed aside for are WWI flight sims... But that section of shelving hasn't really changed since I bought Red Baron 3d lol
Old 03-02-10, 09:41 AM   #8
Danevang
Helmsman

Downloads: 160

I'm Martin, 27 years old, from Copenhagen, Denmark, and study at the University of Copenhagen. I'm very interested in history, philosophy, and mechanics. I used to work as an aircraft mechanic, but my need for massive machines and the occasional industrial accident is now fully reliant on the Silent Hunter games. Heh.

I've been hooked on the Silent Hunter series since the first game, but SH3 is the all time favorite (come on SH5, you can beat it!).

Music wise I play the guitar, and like a lot of different music...from Mozart, Beethoven, The Beatles, Jefferson Airplane, Nirvana, Silver Chair, Björk etc. (and some Danish bands of course)

I've recently started getting into modding various games, so hopefully there will be something to try improving in SH5 (I'm quite sure there is).
Old 03-02-10, 09:44 AM   #9
Feuer Frei!
Navy Seal

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 17

Hello to all...
emigrated from Germany to Australia when i was 10 years old, still speak read and write German fluently...
i am 38 years old and it all started with Aces of the Deep!
Found this website by accident whilst searching for mods for Silent Hunter 1 and 2...
i work as a manager, running restaurants, have also worked for the government and did a 4 year stint in the Army...
Currently playing U-Boot Missions and loving it!
Still waiting for my copy of SH5, not long to go...
Music-wise, well, let's put it this way, have over 600 albums, the only thing you won't find in that collection is country music (ouch)!

I am loving this forum, i have the utmost respect for the people that post here and especially the modders who do amazing work...you guys (and girls?) rock
Thanks for allowing me to be a part of this wonderful community!

LINK TO MY SH 3 MODS
Old 03-02-10, 09:56 AM   #10
Boyarpunk
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Guten tag!
My name is Christopher, 34, from suburban Philadelphia, USA. Out of work (damm recession!) accountant doing my best to stay "employable".

Although I'm a fairly new poster, I've been a longtime lurker. Love computer gaming and especially sims. Like most of you I'm sure, SHIII ranks up there as one of my most enjoyable gaming experiences. First sim I played was Chuck Yeager's Test Pilot (1988). Other all-time fave sims: Gunship!, Red Baron, Red Baron 3D, IL-2 and DCS: Black Shark.

On the fence about SHV but I enjoy reading everyone's opinions.

(sorry, no picture).
Cheers.

Old 03-02-10, 10:06 AM   #11
Andayle
Watch

Downloads: 43

I'm Dean from Cornwall UK. 31 Years old and love almost all types of sim. Flight sim and Uboat are my two main favourites. Play a little guitar here and there too. Have been a member at Subsim for about 5 years but dont really post all that much, more of a lurker hehe. Might be time to surface the boat and start posting though :P

And last but not least one hell of a scary picture of me about a year ago lol

Old 03-02-10, 10:09 AM   #12
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

I guess most of you know me already, in good and in bad (mostly the latter, tho, I got reputation to keep. ). The official unofficial official SubSim Twat and a keen vagitarian.

With pretty much skipping SH4, it's time to set out again in SH5 (when I said I wouldn't buy it, I was of course lying ). So, keep a close eye out for threads begging and screaming for Black Pearl to be included to SH5 (Since SH3 I've wanted it but noooo... community my ass ).

And remember, the glass is half full, if in doubt, pour some more.
Old 03-02-10, 10:11 AM   #13
martes86
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 18

I like introductions.

Some of you already know me as well from the meet of from the 24th Flotilla, but for those who don't, I'm Miguel, 23, and live in Southern Spain as a Database and Business Applications Programmer, and as Webmaster and Game Programmer in my spare time.

Started as a flight simulation lover (though I tasted 688i from Jane's, and I loved the 3D view features), moved on to the RTS genre where I stayed for a long long time, and one time I saw a movie in our war collection: Das Boot. It was cool at the time, but it didn't sound too well in Spanish, so, after looking for original sound clips and all that (at the beggining just for the soundtrack, which I also liked), I found out about SH2, my dad had it in some shelf. Played it, got some subsim mods my dad had burned in a CD, and then I just wanted it to play like if I was watching Das Boot. And I loved it so much, that I even made subtitles for it. Looking for further info on the game, I found out about SH3 in December 2003. While eagerly waiting for it, I found an independent SH3 site in which I became a news poster/translator, the Ubi forums, SubSim, the WPL and the 24th Flotilla. After some more time, I became more objective on what Das Boot represented, but I still love the movie (please don't kill me :P).

Cheers
Old 03-02-10, 10:24 AM   #14
Flopper
Weps

Downloads: 107

Not getting sh5 yet, but I'm still going to hop in here, since I never did introduce myself, and I practically live on this site.

My name is Steve. I'm a (seasoned and nearly worn out) software engineer in Asheville, North Carolina. My first subsim was Silent Service on a commodore 64 (if my memory serves me) but I left the genre for 20+ years, until discovering the SH series in late December. Now I've become obsessed.

My first real computer was an IBM 8088. I purchased 4 mb of ram to upgrade my 486 circa 1994, for $212.00. I'm glad I did not purchase the 9 GB Micropolis hard drive for $4000.00. I suppose my point is I don't bother trying to keep up with the latest in hardware. Currently I'm on a 3 year old box that runs sh3 great, but my sh4 framerates are a little low (the main reason I'm not dashing out there to get sh5).

I'm a huge fan of Stevie Ray Vaughn, Tom Petty, Skynyrd, Bruce, and Alice in Chains. I'm waiting for the ice to give way to some nice weather so I can hop back on my 07 Road Glide and put on about another 15 K miles of back country roads again this summer. But in the mean time, subsim.com rules!

edit: I should mention too, I was an ASW sensor operator in the USN back in the 80's. P3C Orion flight crew. I play a 5 string Music Man Stingray bass and a Gretch Jet 6 string. Here's a shot of me with my sweetheart in the driveway:

Last edited by Flopper; 03-06-10 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-02-10, 10:50 AM   #15
copper01
Mate

Downloads: 80

Hi all Im Arthur Ohio USA found this forum when I use to play SHII stoped

playing for long time found u again not that long ago GREAT site good

people im 50 carpenter layed off now,love sims IL2 Falcon4 ROF all of

Silent hunters 4 not so much not sure about SHV.

dont download much here not to good at getting things to work P.C dumb

But love this site lots of good people and reading all of u should be proud
Closed Thread