SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-15-09, 08:08 AM   #1
tomagabriel
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 110
Uploads: 3
Default [REL] Skipjack SSN

SSN-585 Skipjack for Silent Hunter IV
(beta 0.1)

=====================================

pm me at www.subsim.com forums

This is the SSN-585 Skipjack for silent Hunter IV. It was designed and tested on an un-modified version of Silent Hunter IV v. 1.5 (with U-Boat missions). My advice is to remove all mods and test it on a clean installation of SHIV (it should work with other mods installed, but since I can not test all the combinations of mods presently available on the web, I take no responsibility if it crashes you SH4 installation).

Installation
============
Install it with JSGME as you would do with any other sub presently available. {For those of you not having the U-Boot Missions add-on, I am including a tweak in the "Notes" section below. Be sure to READ it and APPLY it!!!}

Uninstall
======
Use the remove mod feature from JSGME.

Changelog
========

-=(v. beta 0.1)=-

<no changelog for first version>

Notes on v. beta 0.1:

-you can play campaigns with this sub.
- weapons are free, but start your career with some money, otherwise you can not re-equip with new weapons after removing some (bug!?);
- the sub is equipped by default with (2xMk-48 + 4xMk-16) in the launch tubes + full complement of 24 Mk-48 in the magazine;
- to extend the radar mast press "Shift" + "X"; press again to retract it; use it at periscope depth before surfacing
-diving depth of the sub up to 450 m - max;
-torpedo launch depth up to 450 m - max;
-max speed 17 knots (surfaced), 30 knots (submerged);
-to make this sub work with SH4 v. 1.4 or earlier you have to tweak the Mk-48 torpedo to no longer use the logic of German torpedos;you have to tell the simulator to use the Mk-27 torpedo logic instead of Type XI logic; then you have to set the default loadout to load the modified Mk-27 torpedos instead of the modified Type XI. That is all. You do this like this(read below):

*** In \MODS\Skipjack\Data\Submarine\NSS_SkipjackSSN\NSS_ SkipjackSSN.upc search for:
************************************************** **********************************

<Beginning of file>........<missing fragment here>...........

;------------------------------------------------------------
; BOW TORPEDO

[UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 4.WeaponSlot 1]
ID= TorpMountB1
NameDisplayable=Torpedo Tube 1
Type=NULL
AcceptedTypes= TorpedoTube
UserCustomizable=No
IDLinkBunker=BowTorpedoRoom
IDLinkWeaponIntervalDefault1= NULL, NULL, TorpedoTube21inUS,T11Torpedo <-!-- Replace "T11Torpedo" with "Mk27Torpedo"
ExternalNodeName3D= NULL
ExternalObjectName3D= TorpTube01
ExternalDamageZoneTypeID3D= 58

[UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 4.WeaponSlot 2]
ID= TorpMountB2
NameDisplayable= Torpedo Tube 2
Type=NULL
AcceptedTypes= TorpedoTube
UserCustomizable=No
IDLinkBunker=BowTorpedoRoom
IDLinkWeaponIntervalDefault1= NULL, NULL, TorpedoTube21inUS,T11Torpedo <-!-- Replace "T11Torpedo" with "Mk27Torpedo"
ExternalNodeName3D= NULL
ExternalObjectName3D= TorpTube02
ExternalDamageZoneTypeID3D= 131

........<missing fragment here>...........

[UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 4.Bunker 1] ; Forward Torpedo Room
ID=BowTorpedoRoom
Capacity=24
IDLinkAmmunitionIntervalDefault1= NULL, NULL, T11Torpedo, 24 <-!-- Replace "T11Torpedo" with "Mk27Torpedo"

; DECK GUN

........<missing fragment here>...........<End of File>

*** In \MODS\Skipjack\Data\UPCData\UPCUnitsData\Weapons.u pc:

<Beginning of file>........<missing fragment here>...........

[Weapon 8]
ID= TorpedoTube21inUS
NameDisplayable= 21" Torpedo Tube
FunctionalType= WpTorpedoTube
WeaponInterval= 1930-12-01, 1946-12-01
WeaponSlotType= TorpedoTube
AmmoTypesAccepted= T11Torpedo,Mk14Torpedo,Mk16Torpedo <-!-- Replace "T11Torpedo" with "Mk27Torpedo"
AmmoTypeLoaded= NULL
AmmoMagazineRemaining= 0 ;Not used
AmmoMagazineSize= 1
LeadersSlots=0
WeaponCrewMembersSlots= 0
ExternalLinkName3D= NULL
Hitpoints= 100
DamageDescription1= NULL, 0, 0.2, 0, 1, 1, Jam, 0, 0, NULL, 1, 0.3, 0.2
DamageDescription2= NULL, 0, 1, 0, 0.5, 1, Chamber Explosion, 50, 5, NULL, 1, 2, 10 ;skill over 1 for unserviceable/destroyed gun

........<missing fragment here>...........<End of File>

Credits (Updated)
=======
This model relies heavily on the Ohio SSBN/SSGN by me, therefore it inherits some credits to other people from there. The new intro is the work of Roger_Becker - many thanks for making the movie and for allowing me to add it to this mod. Skipjack 3d model, texturing and plenty of tweaks by me. Artwork of loading screens by me.

Terms of use
============
This mod is unofficial and provided as is. The mod is cost-free to download and use. Anyone may use or modify this mod or parts of it for personal, non-public purposes/projects only. For any non-personal or public use please contact me to obtain permission. Anyone downloading and using this mod or parts of it must not obtain any kind of material benefits from it, or any other kind of benefit that can be converted, equated or assimilated to material benefits. Use of this mod or parts of it for any commercial purposes/projects is not allowed under any circumstances.
Hosting or re-posting this mod or parts of it on another web-page/site other than http://www.subsim.com/ is not allowed.
Downloading and using this mod is done at your own risk as I take no responsibility if it causes any damages.
!These terms of use override the terms of use in the readme file included in the mod package!

Download mod HERE AT SUBSIM/Downloads!!!

Edit: updated terms of use

Last edited by tomagabriel; 05-05-15 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Mod released
tomagabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 01:17 PM   #2
USS Sea Tiger
XO

Downloads: 52
Uploads: 0
Default I am looking forward to seeing her operate

This should be a fun sub!!
USS Sea Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 02:15 PM   #3
Bartolomeus
Planesman

Downloads: 33

A Skipjack, sounds great! Cant wait to see the first in game shots!

Marko
Old 03-15-09, 03:10 PM   #4
thyro
Commander

Location: on a rock surrounded by water, that people call it UK
Downloads: 31

Now I see what will be the 1st sub on the Ohio campaign

It will be a hell to create the wakes like in that picture

thyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-09, 12:03 AM   #5
gimpy117
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 108

what about a barbel class???

the last diesel electric boats built.
Old 03-16-09, 03:10 AM   #6
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpy117
what about a barbel class???

the last diesel electric boats built.
the Navy is thinking about building some new ones now!
http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/hts.../20090310.aspx

With the new air system, they can stay under for a couple of weeks now, at the price of one Virginia class for 4 diesel subs ....

keltos

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-09, 02:03 AM   #7
tomagabriel
Machinist's Mate

Progress on the Skipjack is going well. Here you can see the 3d model almost complete and soon to receive textures. After that ... it is only a small step to sea trials...

... more to come soon ...
Old 03-18-09, 02:21 AM   #8
thyro
Commander

It looks good

Old 03-18-09, 03:21 AM   #9
U-HAI
Watch

Downloads: 6
Default I see your building her based on the old Aorora/ Revell Model

Not nitpicking,, but trying to help,
The class had a 5 bladed propeller, no the three in the model. and be aware too, she NEVER had a redlead lower hull as in so many pre construction paintings, she was always black lower hull, her upper hull started as a Blue grey mix, and then whent to black , like the lower
Also,, the cleats and bits shown on the model,, When Underway, they were retracted into the outer skin. A truck the USA learned from the Type XXI and XXIII class boats.

Looking forward to seeing her,
Somewhere here I saw posts of a Skipjack before in Silent hunter, was that your boat too?
U-HAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-09, 06:01 AM   #10
tomagabriel
Machinist's Mate

@ U-HAI, some questions.

Do you have a link in which I can see what you mean exactly when you describe the painting? I know it was lower-black and upper grey-blue-ish, but I do not understand what you mean by "and then whent to black , like the lower".

For the propeller I used my Revell plastic model kit as inspiration and that is why I have put a 3-bladed prop (Revell ). Will read more and put the right prop.

The anchors for ropes I have made visible because I think they look cool :P

They can be removed without any trouble. In fact I did the same about the Ohio class (which also retracts many gizmos inside, but I left them outside).

Edit: this is my first Skipjack ever so what you saw was not mine. Do you remember where it was mentioned?

Edit2: I have this model (ok this belongs to another guy, but I have an identical one)
http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gall.../ph-index.html

Last edited by tomagabriel; 03-18-09 at 06:33 AM.
Old 03-18-09, 06:51 AM   #11
gimpy117
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 108

fix the prop and I think were golden...

this will be awesome...I think the cold war mod is underway!!
Old 03-18-09, 09:10 AM   #12
U-HAI
Watch

Downloads: 6
Default Hi again

His are painted correct for the two main eras of her time in service, except for that red lower,, that should be all black,, The USN never used red lead paints on the lower hulls, It was at that time an epoxy mix of black paint. Most rememer it well as it made you higher than a kite when applied. It also was forgiving on the deep dives when the hull ompressed, red leads and something called green death, a watery green primer, would not stick to a compressing hull. It would peal of in sheets upon surfacing. Then the rubber coatings came, and with that ,, the mystry of the little cut out circles of it hehehehhhehhehe

As for Bits and cleats out, Thats great if that is what you are striving for. , I have always stressed this is for fun first, accuracy second. and this is a FUN program, not some docudrama hehehehe. I look forward to diving with her when complete.

Humm What Should I build to chase her about??
U-HAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-09, 09:18 AM   #13
USS Sea Tiger
XO

Downloads: 52
Default The other Skipjack he saw was mine!

Hi

Mine was far less refined than this version coming out. Mostly, it was an experimental model to learn with and learn how to mod with.
USS Sea Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-09, 02:49 PM   #14
Franklin Van Valkenburg
Sailor man

Downloads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltos01 View Post
the Navy is thinking about building some new ones now!
http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/hts.../20090310.aspx

With the new air system, they can stay under for a couple of weeks now, at the price of one Virginia class for 4 diesel subs ....

keltos
Read this!
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090317...20090317174644

This doesn't look too good to me. While I love the old diesel boats... these times merit the use of nuclear boats. They can stay under longer and are quieter... an advantage we [the USA] shouldn't throw away. Sure the price tag looks appealing, but a nuke boat pays for itself and can only be rendered useless when technology improves. Sounds to me like the current administration is trying to go green by cutting the nuclear navy out and is restricting the military's budget.

I hate to say this, but if Russia is going to build on its nuclear program, the United States should too. A great man once said:
"An honorable peace is always my first wish! I take no delight in the effusion of human blood, but, if this war is to continue... then I shall take a most active part in it."
I want to see peace, reduced militaries, and a greener world... but I think that America is shedding its national security and endangering itself by stepping down from being "Number One". I think America is more worried about the weak economy and whether they will get to have those three flashy cars than they are about the F-22, F-35, DD(X), and nuke boat programs. Its not just about national security... the F-22 program is in danger of being cancelled because "$140 million per Raptor is too costly." I say that is the price to be paid for the world's best fighter aircraft. If the program was cut, 95,000 jobs would be lost!

Phew... sorry about that. Just had to make everyone aware of that article. not saying Russia is 'Big Bad Red Russia', but Putin's been pulling some odd stunts and with China pestering our ships and North Korea launching missiles... I see a very possible "Big Red Three" in the next two decades if we aren't careful.

That Skipjack looks GREAT! I can't wait to see her in-game! Hopefully she'll be able to square off with the Hotel I'm building rather soon (if I can get K-19 in-game). Though I'm sure it wouldn't happen... because K-19 would break and have to return to port too often. Ha ha!

Are you building her with 3ds max or with maya?
Franklin Van Valkenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-09, 02:57 PM   #15
thyro
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin Van Valkenburg View Post

That Skipjack looks GREAT! I can't wait to see her in-game! Hopefully she'll be able to square off with the Hotel I'm building rather soon (if I can get K-19 in-game). Though I'm sure it wouldn't happen... because K-19 would break and have to return to port too often. Ha ha!

Are you building her with 3ds max or with maya?

I think K-19 is WIP by a Russian guy...

also they were working on british U-class and other russian sub (can't remember its class)