Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-20-09, 11:31 PM   #1
Amram
Nub

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
Default Stopping Voice recognition....permanently

I don't use the voice recognition, and its driving me insane. If i don't have a mic attached, and configured, i can't even goto the options, the instant i open the options screen, i get tabbed out cause the configure voice rec. wizard pops up, and i can't stop it.

I go into the options when its configured, and windows says, oh, look, a voice rec. app, and launches the monitor, and, thanks to that, im tabbed out, so i close it, and it launches again, if i ignore it, i can't do anything int he options screen, its like im not in options anymore.

I can't find any option to completely disable voice recognition, and its driving me insane, i don't want it running, i don't even want it on my system, yet, i appear to be stuck, so, i've registered in the hopes someone can help, how do i stop DW from EVER asking for it or causing windows to offer it.

I don't recall the game doing this to me last time i played it, which was a while ago, but then im not sure what version it was, im currently fully patched. No mods atm, still relearning the game.

Fresh install of Vista 64 Ultimate SP1(less than 3 weeks in)
drivers all under 3 weeks old
no malware/viruses
All new hardware with no issues as yet.

DangerousWaters.ini
[Sound]
.DisableSoundSupport No
.DisableSounds No
.SoundVolume 65
.DisableMusic No
.MusicVolume 65
.DisableVoice No
.VoiceVolume 90
.DisableAmbient No
.AmbientVolume 35
.DisableRoomBG No
.Disable3DSound Yes
.AllowVoiceRec No
.AlwaysOnVoiceRec No
.UseSpecialFX Yes
.MaxPingVolume 70
.SpeechLoadMode 0
.SoundLoggerOn 0

Do i want to delete the voice.ini and voicereco.dll files from in the interfaces folders for each platform to achieve this? Or would this likely generate errors and/or crashes?

And before anyone asks, no, i have neither interest no concern for the loss of voice commands, at the moment i have a seething hatred of its insistence that i acknowledge it. So, before i break my keyboard, or DW's discs, any thoughts on how to kill this feature?
Amram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-09, 01:06 AM   #2
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amram
DangerousWaters.ini

.AllowVoiceRec No
.AlwaysOnVoiceRec No
These two lines mean that the voice recognition is disabled within DW.

IIRC, when you install DW, it gives you the option to install additional voice recognition crap. Looking at the installation disk, I see an MSSpeech. I would look for that program and remove or disable it. Tampering with the interfaces is a bad idea.
Old 02-21-09, 08:29 AM   #3
Amram
Nub

Downloads: 4

yeah, i suspected as much, thing is, when i skipped the setup of the voice recognition, things seemed fine, until i first loaded and went to options to configure the settings(since with a radeon 4870 i might as well max them out), and it instantly tabbed me out and started the voice rec. wizard in vista(unless it had something to do with that itself, but looked like it launched something already present in the OS...or at least, triggered it) and from there, there was nothing i could do, close the wizard, tab back in, and bang, tabbed out to a new instance of the wizard.

Launch the game and the applet is launched a moment later, stealing focus and interfering with the controls. i can close it, but it just relaunches, i can't find anything in vista to kill it, short of trying to figure out which exe is it, and killing that, but then would i get an error in DW since it seems to be triggering this itself, and if i got an error, would it be of importance, or something logged and unnoticed.

Bleh, i love the game, but this is just a huge headache and needless hassle, and i think M$ is to blame for trying too hard to do things for me their way.

And on another note, your right about the voice files being a bad idea, lol, they're related to the crew vocals, such as TIW and course or depth settings, and not in anyway it seems voice rec, lol.
Amram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-09, 12:40 PM   #4
Frame57
Sea Lord

Downloads: 2

I have vista on my laptop and had the same problem. With XP it is set up different, so I had my pc built with XP. No matter what I did with vista the voice recognition crap kept crashing my game.
Old 02-21-09, 01:32 PM   #5
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amram
yeah, i suspected as much, thing is, when i skipped the setup of the voice recognition, things seemed fine, until i first loaded and went to options to configure the settings(since with a radeon 4870 i might as well max them out), and it instantly tabbed me out and started the voice rec. wizard in vista(unless it had something to do with that itself, but looked like it launched something already present in the OS...or at least, triggered it) and from there, there was nothing i could do, close the wizard, tab back in, and bang, tabbed out to a new instance of the wizard.

Launch the game and the applet is launched a moment later, stealing focus and interfering with the controls. i can close it, but it just relaunches, i can't find anything in vista to kill it, short of trying to figure out which exe is it, and killing that, but then would i get an error in DW since it seems to be triggering this itself, and if i got an error, would it be of importance, or something logged and unnoticed.

Bleh, i love the game, but this is just a huge headache and needless hassle, and i think M$ is to blame for trying too hard to do things for me their way.

And on another note, your right about the voice files being a bad idea, lol, they're related to the crew vocals, such as TIW and course or depth settings, and not in anyway it seems voice rec, lol.
You're not going to find MSSpeech in DW options; all you'll see on options if you get there is that voice recognition is already turned off. Look for MSSpeech on your programs list or HD.
Old 02-21-09, 02:08 PM   #6
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 142

I never use the voice recognition thing anyway. I know it's in there for realism sake, but I find it much easier to just click around.
Old 02-26-09, 03:16 PM   #7
OneShot
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 9

Same problem, same situation.

Got Vista 64 Ultimate SP2 Beta and I just cant get rid of this crap. However I'll try to set up the Voice Rec and see if it happens then.
OneShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-09, 05:37 PM   #8
rockhopper
Nub

Downloads: 6

Yep, Vista64 and happens to me too.

When the Speech Recognition Setup screen appears, I just leave it open then go back into DW and play on.
rockhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-09, 09:54 AM   #9
TorpedoMo
Helmsman

Downloads: 107

Same problem (Vista SP1 64bit)

Just ran through this idiot voice recognition tour to get rid of the problem.
Now DW running, but after completing the voice recog, DW understands not a single voice command.
TorpedoMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-09, 08:43 AM   #10
Theta Sigma
Seabed Comber

Downloads: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpedoMo View Post
Same problem (Vista SP1 64bit)

Just ran through this idiot voice recognition tour to get rid of the problem.
Now DW running, but after completing the voice recog, DW understands not a single voice command.
Ah, I did the same, but never use it so I don't know if it's recognizing me well or not.