SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-05-08, 03:54 PM   #1
Syxx_Killer
Admiral

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0
Default [REQ] Re-enabling the Type XVIII in Operation Monsun

I really like OM, especially how it changes the Indian Ocean from some congested superhighway to a real ocean. However, I do like the Type XVIII. I know it is about as realistic as having a nuc sub, but it is fun. I was wondering if someone who knows their way around the files, if they could re-enable the Type XVIII and it's equipment.
Syxx_Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-08, 06:00 PM   #2
stabiz
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 14

Okaaay.
Old 05-05-08, 06:58 PM   #3
Carotio
Mr. Bad Wolf

Downloads: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker_hlb3
I will become more than a “little annoyed” if someone attempts to change my work with my permission.
So does that mean, if someone does it WITHOUT your permission, it's okay? :hmm:

Sorry, couldn't help teasing... :rotfl:

EDIT
You just edited the same time as I wrote...

Download my mods from SHMF
Follow my photography here
taler dansk, speak English, spreche Deutsch, parle fraais, forstår svenska/norsk, comprendo castellano
Carotio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-08, 07:08 PM   #4
haegemon
Medic

Downloads: 12

This kind of sub was not real in combat, but I supose it had some test patrols somewhere. The same with type XXI which some people think it's not realistic, however two of them, the U-2511 and U-3008 had begun a combat patrol by the end of ww2. Those never fought but had some test runs, why don't put them in their original locations as IA vessels...
haegemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-08, 07:42 PM   #5
Snaptrap
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syxx_Killer
I really like OM, especially how it changes the Indian Ocean from some congested superhighway to a real ocean. However, I do like the Type XVIII. I know it is about as realistic as having a nuc sub, but it is fun. I was wondering if someone who knows their way around the files, if they could re-enable the Type XVIII and it's equipment.
My Silent Fire v1.5.0 mod does this. All you need to do is open your Flotilla and CareerStart upc files. Look for a line in the CareerStart files which looks like this:

IDLinkUserPlayerUnits= F1IXD2, 1, F1XVIII, 2

The F1's in front of the unit id is a reference to the corrisponding flotilla. For instance Flotilla 1 is F1 and Flotilla 2 is F2 and so on. The number after each unit is the Commonality. To find the commonality for each unit in each flotilla, look for the unit id in the Flotilla file. The commonality is what is used when a random selection is made and doesn't always need to match, but should be used when adding a playable unit to a Flotilla. Such as this:

[Flotilla 1.UserPlayerUnitType 1]
ID= F1IXD2
NameDisplayable= Type IX-D2 U-boat
AvailabilityInterval= NULL, NULL
IDLinkUserPlayerUnitType= IXD2
UnitTypeCommonality= 10
IDFlotillaLinkTransferTo= NULL

[Flotilla 1.UserPlayerUnitType 2]
ID= F1XVIII
NameDisplayable= Type XVIII U-boat
AvailabilityInterval= NULL, NULL
IDLinkUserPlayerUnitType= XVIII
UnitTypeCommonality= 2
IDFlotillaLinkTransferTo= NULL
Snaptrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-08, 07:44 PM   #6
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carotio
Quote:
I will become more than a “little annoyed” if someone attempts to change my work with my permission.
So does that mean, if someone does it WITHOUT your permission, it's okay? :hmm:

Sorry, couldn't help teasing... :rotfl:

EDIT
You just edited the same time as I wrote...
Some times when I'm a little upset my "mind" and my "finger" get out of sync
lurker_hlb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 03:00 AM   #7
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18
Default crash test

so that's why my IJN sub with the type XVIII interior crashed the game everytime ! duhhh !

If and when my IJN subs are reaaallly ready, couldn't we like add them to OM ?

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 02:05 PM   #8
CDR Resser
Lieutenant

Downloads: 65

Soo. lurker asks you not to change his mod and someone helps you do it anyway?!?!?!

Respectfully Submitted;
CDR Resser

Holy Equestrian Order of Saint John Moses
Sometimes, in war, there is an inverse moral. The greater the performance, the harsher the consequence. R.H. O'Kane
CDR Resser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 02:23 PM   #9
Syxx_Killer
Admiral

Downloads: 21

I was hoping this thread would just die, but I guess not. I haven't changed anything. I appreciate the help Snaptrap gave, but I haven't changed anything. I can't say I'm surprised about the responses. I actually expected them. I debated a long time if I should ask for help, but posted it anyway. I thought, "What the hell? Let's see what happens." I guess I have my answer.
Syxx_Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 02:35 PM   #10
Carotio
Mr. Bad Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syxx_Killer
I was hoping this thread would just die, but I guess not. I haven't changed anything. I appreciate the help Snaptrap gave, but I haven't changed anything. I can't say I'm surprised about the responses. I actually expected them. I debated a long time if I should ask for help, but posted it anyway. I thought, "What the hell? Let's see what happens." I guess I have my answer.
Seriously, I think we should distinguish between:

fully tweaking a mod and publish it without the permission of the original author

and

sharing knowledge about how to change a mod in one or another direction.

I can understand the first rule, which offends some if broken, but I seriously have my doubts about the second rule.
It's the same discussion all over again, which was risen in the SH3 mod workshop.

Should it really be forbidden too to share knowledge about how to alter mods in the subsim forum?

taler dansk, speak English, spreche Deutsch, parle fraais, forstår svenska/norsk, comprendo castellano
Old 05-06-08, 05:49 PM   #11
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

But, the original modder might add, don't go to him asking what to do when things don't work out quite as expected.

That is the source of a lot of modder irritation: people who mix fuel oil and fertilizer and ask why they had an explosion. Much of the time they then blame the fertilizer manufacturer!

It's amazing how many things break when you layer fifteen mods on top of Trigger Maru Overhauled. Ducimus shouldn't have to hear about it. The only exception has been the tendency of major mods to work together. But that is by design of the modders, not because of user complaints.

Now if you were to go to said modder and say "I did this and this and I knew the results were my problem, not yours. But the following really interesting and unanticipated things happened...." you might probably get a positive response. You never know what you can learn if you resist the urge to blame someone else.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 08:28 PM   #12
LW_lcarp
Swabbie

Downloads: 46

Let me get this right. A modder is having a hissy fit about someone modding his work when he in fact modded some one elses work. (insert scratching head smiley here)
LW_lcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 06:33 AM   #13
Carotio
Mr. Bad Wolf

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LW_lcarp
Let me get this right. A modder is having a hissy fit about someone modding his work when he in fact modded some one elses work. (insert scratching head smiley here)

And "WHO’s" work am I "SUPPOSES" to be modding ? (insert "very annoyed" look )
I think he means the work of the ubi devs.

Let's not go down this road too quickly. These discussions about tweaks always end with broken feelings for some. Let's just agree that "we" (general speeking) disagree about how to play the game, and then that's it.

Personally, I have yet to find the time to try your Monsun mod, but I'm sure I will find both things to love and some things will be missed or desired changed. Especially, because I really haven't played the stock uboat part yet. No matter what, you'll still be the original mod creator and remembered as such.
If you don't wish to help to alter your mod, it's only understandable. And if people choose to try it out on their own, it's no responsability of yours, if it doesn't work. Fair enough, no?

Old 05-07-08, 08:15 AM   #14
Captain Vlad
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 6

If someone wants to tweak a mod for their own personal enjoyment, it's beyond me why anyone would care.

Now, if they start posting 'My Improved Version of Lurker's RSRD mod!' then I could see a problem. But no one here has done that.
Old 05-07-08, 09:17 AM   #15
Gato76
Planesman

Downloads: 82

Lurker this is just an idea; how about having the XVIII renamed to XII with the turbine disable, by the way OM is great
Gato76 is offline   Reply With Quote