Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Comments to SUBSIM Review
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-13-08, 05:41 AM   #1
Venatore
Admiral

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 0
I call them leeches

I've noticed that without logging onto Subsim and silently remaining as a "Stowaway" you have limited things that you can do. I like this idea but it needs to go further.

Why?

As a modder I've noticed that "Stowaways" can download our mods without logging on which to me [as a modder] is a slap in the face. If I had my way I would replace the name "Stowaway" and change it with "Leech" sucking the blood without you knowing [taking & taking].

You may say so what? well as a modder comments go along way to making you continue the job of modding.

Have a look how many Stowaways/Leeches are viewing right now, how many of them have clicked on our mod links and are sucking away, no comments, no nothing, no gratitude, no donations, nothing.

Bloody leeches

Answer; you can't enter the forum/s till you have registered/logged on.

Last edited by Venatore; 04-13-08 at 06:36 AM.
Venatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-08, 09:22 AM   #2
Letum
Navy Seal

Downloads: 43

Is this vanity?
Old 04-13-08, 11:04 AM   #3
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

While I would love to see everyone who comes here drop in and say "Hi!", or "Great Mod", I think "Leech" might be a bit extreme.

But then I've gone to websites devoted to games I only had a passing interest in and downloaded mods, so I'd be a hypocrite if I said otherwise.
Old 04-13-08, 02:33 PM   #4
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

A lot of sites insist on each downloader uploading in return to a ratio of between 0.7 and 1.0, sometimes more.

I agree in principal with what your advocating, but if I'm to be totally honest here, I can't imagine how you could police/monitor your proposal.

To give you a quick example:

I'm currently hosting the GWX2.1 torrent from a private/home server. This is not a file storage location such as FF, Megaupload or Rapidshare........a home server.

I am more than happy to post a screenshot if you wish but here are 3 1/2 months (torrent added 16/12/07) statistics:

382GB uploaded...Peers (those downloading) 11......Seeds (those who have it still on their hard drives and appear to be connectable online) 15.........MOST IMPORTANTLY, those Seeds currently online other than the server torrent host.....0

I've observed this pattern of behaviour since the torrent was announced

Now that's LEECHING

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-08, 02:51 PM   #5
danlisa
Navy Seal

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 1

We certainly can't police Subsim like many P2P sites do, however I do also agree with Ven.

Would be nice if they could post a thank you at least. It's not much to ask after a creator uses his own time in the furtherment of any game.

It's not vanity, it's common courtesy/decency.
Old 04-13-08, 04:07 PM   #6
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Agreed

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-08, 07:26 PM   #7
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venatore
Answer; you can't enter the forum/s till you have registered/logged on.
So less people will even see your mods?

Happy then?

what you want is plain silly,
I mostly skip forums that FORCE a registration in order me to read it.
I want to have a impresion how the athmosphere is before I join it, I dont want to find out that when I register and finally see the forum and notice its a forum with poo throwing all around.

also who sais that those register are going to give you a ''thank you'' they only will fill up the member database with 0 posts and walk away with your mod.

also this Forum is not only about MODDING , there are discussions about the game,
support for the game, news about the game, Naval news, Global news discussed, funny things shared other simulation games.

so people that have no interest in your mods or the game your modding in and are playing something else or are in something else cant see the other things that subsim is all about.

some of you modders can be such dramaqueens from time to time,

Instead of looking at what you're not gonna get (a thank you from everyone that lais eyes on your Mod) look at what you get from the usuals and members that are active about. you keep them amazed everytime you releases something, must feel good or does that mean nothing to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danlisa
It's not vanity, it's common courtesy/decency.
Righto, but you cant make people have that.
its People THAT register to say ''Thank you'' that have courtesy/decensy

HunterICX
Old 04-13-08, 07:43 PM   #8
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Hell And I always thought you had to login to D\L mods.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-08, 11:04 PM   #9
bookworm_020
Navy Seal

Downloads: 1

I Agree that for downloading mods you have to join up as a requirement. But I do believe that they should be able to look at the treads and see what is availble.

That should be a big enough reason to join alone!
bookworm_020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-08, 11:38 PM   #10
d@rk51d3
Sea Lord

Downloads: 193

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm_020
I Agree that for downloading mods you have to join up as a requirement. But I do believe that they should be able to look at the treads and see what is availble.

That should be a big enough reason to join alone!

My thoughts, also.
d@rk51d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-08, 03:10 AM   #11
Venatore
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterICX
some of you modders can be such dramaqueens from time to time,

Instead of looking at what you're not gonna get (a thank you from everyone that lais eyes on your Mod) look at what you get from the usuals and members that are active about. you keep them amazed everytime you releases something, must feel good or does that mean nothing to you?
HunterICX,

Did you happen to notice the part where I talked about making donations to the site? or did your narrow minded view of us drama-queen modders in-peed your sight.
It's good to see a bloody Moderator of your flawless calibre resort to assessing us modders as drama-queens.

You no nothing about my relationship to the members at this forum as a modder, nothing. Now close this thread down, it's not to your liking, yea overstep your postion yet again, lets see it.

Old 04-14-08, 05:19 AM   #12
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Quote:
It's good to see a bloody Moderator of your flawless calibre resort to assessing us modders as drama-queens.
Ah...there is the problem,

I said it as a MEMBER with my own opinion, not as a Moderator so instead of pointing your finger at my Title, take what I said as a member to member.

also I did read the part about donations but I fail to see the relation between forcing people to registrate and that those will donate like that as subsim has more to offer then just mods.
like said before ''it are the people THAT donate that have decensy/courtesy''

and narrow minded?
didnt you fail to see there are more sections on subsim let alone the SH franchise?
because all I read are about MODs as stoways seem to take it without saying thank you and without donating.

Yet again, what sais the Registrated member will say a ''thank you'' or Donate to this website?

a Forum should be inviting for everyone, not to have the appearance of a Club.
so it should remain open, for everyone to see and read.

Quote:
Now close this thread down, it's not to your liking, yea overstep your postion yet again, lets see it.
Just because I disagree and put down my own opinion, doesnt mean this thread should be closed. like said I still am a Member. I seperate my own Opinion from Moderating this board

yes, I have no clue about your relationship towards the members, as its not my business to be worrying about. I see you're doing fine with them , suits me.

I thought modders would release for ''everyone'' to enjoy?
that people are shy or not really into beeing part of a community like you would think is perfectly normal or every days thing.
like said before, you're not going to get a thank you from everyone, apreciate what you get from people that are kind enough to say thank you, and give a lot of praise and thumbs up for people that donate thanks to your devotion to make great mods.

but perhaps a solution would be a feature of a Box (like the quote box) that only can be seen by registrated with in there the links of your mod. but heck if others dont do use the box to share their mods? would give a bad impresion.

HunterICX

Last edited by HunterICX; 04-14-08 at 05:41 AM.
HunterICX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-08, 05:44 AM   #13
Venatore
Admiral

HunterICX,

I take your points on board and yes I do understand that Subsim is bigger than SHIII.

I'm not saying look at me, look at me, shower me in comments of glory. Its good as a modder to get constructive comments informing you of better ways to enhance your mods, saying your mods have errors, saying not bad, how did you do that, or that's awesome, all comments good or bad develop your modding technique.

It was an idea, like throwing out a fishing line to see what's was out there, I can see its not a good idea, and that's ok, I can live with that.

You attacked me as a modder I defended by attacking you as a Moderator, childish, stupid and in the end got us know where.

Thanks for your comments & positive feedback.

Ven
Old 04-14-08, 06:02 AM   #14
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Still I have to apologize for the ''Drama-queen'' part.
sorry about that.

I know the presure modders work under sometimes, also as the SH franchice is the most active part of this forum its also thanks to the modders it has been growing big the last couple of years. when I joined it was a calm sea, in 3 years it has turned into an atlantic storm washing up new stuff for the game on the beach everytime I look in the section.

HunterICX
Old 04-14-08, 07:45 AM   #15
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

I've seen forums with for example links hidden until you reply to the thread, only then the link comes visible. But that would result to a unneccessary spam. Then, of course there's attachments, which then again wouldnt work in this case.

But to think of it, what's the big deal of ppl who arent registered, downloading the mods? :hmm:
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote