SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-31-08, 08:00 PM   #1
Syxx_Killer
Admiral

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0
Default White lines around sub

This has been an issue since installing the game for the first time a few weeks ago. When the sub is underwater or the submerged parts when surfaced, there is a white line around the contour of the sub. It is kind of annoying but not showstopping. Even when I didn't run with any AA, it was there. Right now I am using 16x AA and no gamma correction. AF is set to global settings (application controlled). My card is an XFX nVidia 8600GT. I have the 169.21 drivers.

Is there a way to remedy the issue? Is it an SH4 quirk or something else?
Syxx_Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-08, 06:24 AM   #2
ustahl
Watch Officer

Downloads: 156

Those white in-water contour lines annoy me also, but there's an easy solution:

In SH4's Options/Graphic Settings disable Environmental Effects and Volumetric Fog -> no more white lines + slight increase in fps.

On my EVGA nVidia 8800GTS (same driver) I run 16xQ AA, 16x AF with Gamma Correction on at 1680x1050, and it looks really great and smooth, with no disturbing white lines. Try it.
Old 04-01-08, 07:52 AM   #3
Syxx_Killer
Admiral

Thanks for the reply. However, I could never turn off Environmental Effects and Volumetric Fog. This might sound dumb, but one of the main reasons I got SH4 (other than it being for Fleet Boats) was for the water transparency. Gotta have my transparency.
Old 04-01-08, 11:42 AM   #4
RocketDog
Mate

Downloads: 11

I have exactly the same white lines with my X1950XTX ATi card. Interested to hear if anyone has found a way to get rid of them (other than turning off transparent water!).

Cheers,

RD.
Old 04-01-08, 12:54 PM   #5
thefretmaster
Officer

Downloads: 0

i havnt got the game yet, but my understanding was that this was fixed in a patch
am i correct?
Old 04-01-08, 01:18 PM   #6
panzer 49th
Weps

Downloads: 5
No, if I use "enviro-effects" i get the same thing i dont think anyone has fixed it yet but eventually someone will(i hope).
Old 04-01-08, 02:40 PM   #7
-Pv-
The Old Man

Downloads: 5

That problem went away for me and many other players when 1.4 came out. That broken effect is now replaced with a surface reflection around the sub parts. I play un-modded SH4 on 512Meg ATI graphics with 2 G RAM. I have all the game graphics options enabled.
-Pv-
-Pv- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-08, 03:29 PM   #8
Syxx_Killer
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pv-
That problem went away for me and many other players when 1.4 came out.
I wish 1.4 got rid of them for me but it didn't.
Old 04-01-08, 08:08 PM   #9
clayman
Soundman

Running no mods?

Syxx_Killer ... very strange. Happened to me too last week. After I loaded the latest Environment mod. I noticed the dang white line back. So I pulled out the mod ... line still there? So I uninstalled all of PE and ROW stuff ... put it all back in and great ... no line since then. (fingers crossed)

Hope that helps .... drove me nuts. I did a search under "sub outline", "white line" etc but couldn't find any of the threads I remember dealing with it pre-1.4.

I too thought either Dave fixed it in his mod or 1.3/1.4 got rid of it?

- - Oh, running nvidia.
clayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-08, 08:47 PM   #10
Syxx_Killer
Admiral

Right now I'm running stock SH4 with patch 1.4, although when I ran mods before it didn't make a difference. I've used PE alone, and TMO before with no difference in that white outline.
Old 04-04-08, 04:38 PM   #11
ustahl
Watch Officer

Downloads: 156
New drivers - big improvement

Just downloaded and installed the newest beta drivers from nVidia 174.74, and running SH4 1.5 (TMO + PE2) with environmental effects and volumetric fog activated proved a big improvement re white contour lines below transparent water surface.

Those were my first impressions. At first I thought the lines had virtually gone, but after further investigation and looking from every imaginable angle the lines did unfortunately still exist, when looking from certain angles.

But on the whole they don't disturb as much as with previous drivers 169.21 and 169.44. So for me, with 174.74 beta it's a small improvement, at least.

Last edited by ustahl; 04-04-08 at 05:46 PM.
ustahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-08, 05:37 PM   #12
Charlie901
XO

Downloads: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustahl
Just downloaded and installed the newest beta drivers from nVidia 174.74, and running SH4 1.5 (TMO + PE2) with environmental effects and volumetric fog activated proved a big improvement re white contour lines below transparent water surface!

Only when looking on the sub from straight above astearn (F11 button) I could see some white contour lines (although reduced compared to earlier) for a short moment before the sub moved ahead. As the viewing angle narrowed the lines disappeared. This was from straight astearn.
When looking from the sides, virtually any angle and very close even: no white contour lines in the transparent water, zilch! When viewing my sub exactly like in Syxx's screenshot above, I have no white lines whatsoever any longer!

For me at least that's a vast improvement. Hopefully you other fellow subsimmers with nVidia cards will achieve a similar improvement by just updating the driver.

I'd be interested to hear if anybody else can confirm a similar improvement.

With this new driver at least I will from now on enjoy transparent water and virtually no more white lines. 100 % eye candy. Settings otherwise as in my earlier posting further up.

It usually only happens in shallow waters as the whitish sea floor is whats causing the white outlines.

Test in Shallow waters...???
Charlie901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-08, 07:27 PM   #13
M. Sarsfield
Ace of the Deep

Guys,

Go to the SHIV forum (not the mod forum) and look at the stickied post "nVidia Tweaks for SH3/SH4". Check out the last page near the top where hcwolf9 posts a bunch of fixes and fps enhancements via nHancer, which is a free download. By turning on "Aniso. sample optimization", he says that it will get rid of the effects that you're dealing with.
www.ussbatfish.com

Communism killed over 100M people and all that I got was this lousy signature.*

*http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/COM.ART.HTM
M. Sarsfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-08, 08:53 PM   #14
thasaint
Medic

Downloads: 116

what about some help for us ati users? HD 2600 pro here
Old 04-04-08, 09:10 PM   #15
M. Sarsfield
Ace of the Deep

There was some mention of ATI cards in the Tweaks thread, as well. Also, try doing an "ATI" search in the forum and see if any old threads pop up. In general, the newer ATI cards have a lot less issues with SHIV than the nVidia cards.
www.ussbatfish.com

Communism killed over 100M people and all that I got was this lousy signature.*

*http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/COM.ART.HTM
M. Sarsfield is offline   Reply With Quote