SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-07, 01:40 PM   #1
jdkbph
Captain

Downloads: 104
Uploads: 0
Default Silent Hunter IV U-Boat Mission add-on

EDIT: Apologies. This is from the front page at the UK Silent Hunter web site (http://silenthunter4.uk.ubi.com)

Quote:
Tuesday 30.10.07 - A new Silent Hunter IV: Wolves of the Pacific™ add-on pack will be available for PC in spring 2008. The add-on will allow players to prowl the Indian Ocean as the captain of a German submarine.

It will focus on the historically accurate but largely unknown German U-boat campaign in the Indian Ocean during World War II. U-Boat Missions offers players a variety of new features and content including an entirely fresh and innovative strategic element, new playable submarines, an improved navigation map, improved upgrade system, and more!

Key Features:
  • German Campaign in the Indian Ocean: The new campaign spans from July 1943 until end of war, in May 1945. Players will operate from such far off Japanese naval bases as Penang, Singapore, Jakarta and Surabaya.
  • Strategic Warfare: As the player rises in rank and experience he gains access to new strategic resources such as recon aircraft that track down enemy shipping and even battle groups that can help wipe out superior enemy forces.
  • New Playable Submarines: Take to the seas in the long range Type IX-D2 U-boat and the revolutionary Walther propulsion type XVIII U-boat. Learn the strengths and weaknesses of these boats and how you can overcome even elite late war allied destroyers with high speed hit and run attacks.
  • Heroes: Based on actual historical figures, these new crewmembers add a number of special abilities that can change the fate of battle and save the ship when the time is right, as well as adding historical color to the game.
Speechless.... for several reasons.

JD

SH4 Add-on Update

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 10-30-07 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Added link to SH4 update page
Old 10-30-07, 01:44 PM   #2
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5

When you quote something it is a good idea to reveal the source.

But this is actually old news.
Old 10-30-07, 01:54 PM   #3
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Is that the Stealware product I saw in an earlier post ? :hmm:

The one unfortunatly apporved by UBI.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
Old 10-30-07, 01:55 PM   #4
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

Unless it adds significant pacific war content I won't be buying this unless there is something I am missing.

tater
Old 10-30-07, 02:19 PM   #5
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 11

Hmm does seem a bit odd when you consider this was one of the the smallest sub campaigns in WW2.. and that its already been 'unofficially' covered in SH3.... (*cough, GWX, cough!*)
Playable Japanese / British boats or Destroyer command or even just an import of SH3/atlantic campaign would have been more welcome.
The IXD2 will be lifted straight out of SH3 for sure (they'll probably just reskin it)

It sounds a bit 'El cheapo' if you ask me, I dont mean that in a nasty way, just pointing out its not a major project with significant budget, -more like a mini addon, I imagine a skeleton crew from the SHIV team will be producing it.

Still - I wasnt excpecting ANY expansion at all for SHIV - so better than nothing. and at least they didnt hand it over to X1...
I guess they didnt what the 'Ubisoft riots of 2007' to go down in the history books.

Last edited by JU_88; 10-30-07 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-30-07, 02:21 PM   #6
maerean_m
Captain

Downloads: 0

Maybe you should wait for the first reviews before making up your mind.

You might find it to be an interesting and challenging game. IMHO.

And the add-on may offer a change of scenery for those you fought (virtually) many years in the Atlantic and/or Pacific and are getting tired.

Plus, the strategic game features and the special abilities enhance the game in ways you can't imagine now.

Last edited by maerean_m; 10-30-07 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-30-07, 02:29 PM   #7
tater
Navy Seal

New features that would also affect the Pacific would interest me and might get me to buy it, for sure.

True dynamism—meaning that the roster of ship names should be the total count of that type of ship, when one is sunk, 1 fewer is left. That sort of thing would get me in a heartbeat.

I won't play a u-boat though, not interested.

tater
Old 10-30-07, 02:32 PM   #8
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 35

Playable type XVIII oh pulease

What are you gonna do with the 2 built ?
Pick it up from Deutsche Werke in Kiel and take it over to Germaniawerft in Kiel on 14 Dec, 1943 for completion
Then wait around till March 44 when they are both scapped

Phah

Better of adding a IXC which did operate in the Indian Ocean
AFAIK no uboats went anywhere near Singapore :hmm:

Get a grip

My mediafire page http://www.mediafire.com/?11eoq19bq9r41
Old 10-30-07, 02:37 PM   #9
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

I just want the 1.4 patch before spring 2008
Old 10-30-07, 02:40 PM   #10
tater
Navy Seal

Penang is kinda near Singapore (closer to Singapore than I am to Denver ).

tater
Old 10-30-07, 02:50 PM   #11
danlisa
Navy Seal

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkbph
It will focus on the historically accurate but largely unknown German U-boat campaign in the Indian Ocean during World War II.
Meh. Unknown to anyone not playing GWX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkbph
Key Features: [LIST][*]German Campaign in the Indian Ocean: The new campaign spans from July 1943 until end of war, in May 1945. Players will operate from such far off Japanese naval bases as Penang, Singapore, Jakarta and Surabaya.
Again. GWX.

Now, where did I put those 'Boycott X1' sigs?

I'd expect someone to show up again soon defending combatplanes/X1. My advice, Modders - check this out and see which bit it yours, Players - stick with the community mods here, they are of a higher standard and are free.

Old 10-30-07, 02:59 PM   #12
tater
Navy Seal

Isn't this add on being discussed made by the devs? That was my understanding.

tater
Old 10-30-07, 03:04 PM   #13
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater
Isn't this add on being discussed made by the devs? That was my understanding.

tater
ditto thats why I asked for the source of the quote in the op's thread.
Old 10-30-07, 03:06 PM   #14
mrbeast
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

Not sure the new 'strategic' options appeal that much to me, I mean how many subs or U boats radioed for a plane to recon for enemy shipping or called in a passing battle group to dispatch a snooping ASW group?

Doesn't sound very realistic to me.

Tater, the idea that when you sink a ship in the game you remove a named unit from the roster sounds very cool to me too. That way the names of the ships you sink could appear on a patrol report.

Perhaps some degree of random factor could be introduced, maybe the intel people can't identify the ship you sank or even get name wrong and correct it later. Perhaps tonnage totals could be made more random too, all being revealed at the end of your career.

Also would be good to introduce damaged tonnage added to your total as curently any ships you damage are a waste of torpedoes you don't score anything for them AFAIK (unless renown is awarded for them?)
Old 10-30-07, 03:14 PM   #15
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater

True dynamism—meaning that the roster of ship names should be the total count of that type of ship, when one is sunk, 1 fewer is left. That sort of thing would get me in a heartbeat.

tater
Thats the sort of thing that should be in the patch really as IIRC there was talk of that feature before the game was released

My mediafire page http://www.mediafire.com/?11eoq19bq9r41
Closed Thread