SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-01-07, 11:21 PM   #1
Safe-Keeper
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0
I've seen the light (little NorOps update)

Pardon the delay, but I've had real-life, school, issues of varying degree of severity to deal with and new games to play, so NorOps has not been a priority until very recently. Just now, though, I passed my hometown of Bergen on my 'lighthouse editing trip' from Oslo to the Russian border. This is a screenshot from the editor showing the coast in all its lighthouse glory. Most likely I'll be releasing NorOps in segments, NYGM-style (as the whole project will take an eternity to finish), with the Lighthouse Mod being the first to be uploaded.

Remember, I may be working slowly, but remember that all comes to those who wait. It's a long coastline and lots of lighthouses. And a few bouys. And at least one Light Ship.

Oh, and although I'm not good at all at answering them(), thanks a lot to all who have sent me encouraging e-mails about the project. You've been driving this project on and helped me work on it by reminding me that there are lots of people waiting for this to be released.
Safe-Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-07, 11:56 PM   #2
Safe-Keeper
Ocean Warrior

To anyone who's interested, I sat down and mused about what segments I might work on and how they'll be split up. Here's the result.

- - - Atmosphere mods - - -
Lighthouse Mod - In progress
The Lighthouse Mod adds lighthouses, fog bells, and light ships to the Norwegian coast. Although intended as an atmosphere enhancement only, it can also be used by 'grognards' to ease navigation, as charts marking the location of each lighthouse will be included in the mod.
Cities of Norway Mod
Enhances the Silent Hunter III world by adding harbours, air bases, fortifications and traffic to the Norwegian theatre. In addition, towns and villages will be added to the in-game map.
Norwegian Theme Mod
This aesthetic mod changes music, menu backgrounds, opening movie and other visual and audio features. It's intended to make you feel more like a Kaleun stationed at a Norwegian base.
SH3 Commander Content
Another atmosphere mod which will add Norway-related radio messages, news updates and nightclub gossip to the game.
- - - Gameplay Mods - - -
Norwegian Operations
The main segment of the NorOps mod. It'll feature the Altmark incident, invasion of Norway, Shetland Boat, and other major and minor operations in and around Norway. It'll also add several new single-player missions to the game.
- - - Other - - -
Look to Norway Trailer - Released
The Norwegian Operations announcement trailer presenting some of the intended features.
Manual
I hope to be able to write and maintain a manual listing and talking about the mod's features. Should prove an interesting read and help people get into the mod.
Old 09-02-07, 12:47 AM   #3
dmlavan
Watch Officer

Downloads: 69

Safe-Keeper,
Looks very interesting (and like a lot of work!) I've played my last two campaigns out of Bergen, and have enjoyed working around Norway so far. Looking forward to this
dmlavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-07, 01:19 AM   #4
Safe-Keeper
Ocean Warrior

Thanks!

Yes, it is a lot of work, but I like it that way. NorOps is one of my dearest hobbies, and I don't want it to be over any time soon. The Lighthouse Mod might actually be out in the near future, at the speed it's at, and its release will be a milestone for me, but there'll still be a whole lot of work to be done.
Old 09-02-07, 08:45 PM   #5
Safe-Keeper
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Looks very interesting (and like a lot of work!)
Actually not (yes, I know I said otherwise above, but that was in reference to the whole mod:p). To make this particular segment, I use Norwegian Book Language Wikipedia's list of Norwegian light houses to look up lighthouses, a Norwegian map program to find out where they are, the SH3 Mission Editor to find the co-ordinates for that position, and notepad to edit the actual Locations.cfg file.
Old 09-02-07, 10:22 PM   #6
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Quote:
Looks very interesting (and like a lot of work!)
Thats an understatement!!
Would love to see the end result to this one SK but yes a LOT of work!
Good luck & cheers.

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote