SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-14-07, 11:40 AM   #1
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Unofficial SH4 Patch 1.4 Needed

ok lets start listing all known issues that patch 1.3 failed to fix.

please lets not make this about complaining but about things needing to be fixed.

hopefully our talented members here can take this list and find ways to fix them.

please detail your problem to help everyone understand what needs to be fixed.

EDIT: i don't believe anyone really expects another official patch from ubisoft but that doesn't mean we shouldn't begin working on a way to finish fixing the game ourselves.

Last edited by Webster; 07-14-07 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-14-07, 12:04 PM   #2
Spike
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0

Battery seems to run down fast on easy and airplane patrolls are a pain in a$$(too many).When you lose the base in the philippines it doesnt tell what base is the new one.I wish it had over all hull(percentage), integrity like SH3.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-07, 12:13 PM   #3
The General
The Old Man

Downloads: 179
Uploads: 3
Default Not much to find fault anymore.

Volumetric fog: a nice idea in theory, that doesn't work that great in practice. See-through crew members is an unacceptable by-product.

Ship-sinking times: way too quick in stock 1.3.

Finishing touches: The periscopes going up and down has been removed in 1.3. I always wanted them to go up and down when clicked in the virtual world. I also wanted the T.D.T. accessible by clicking. It's much less 'slick' a design to have to find an ugly icon on the bottom of the screen and click that. In summation; making the 3D world more interactive by having various switches and levers accessible. Time-consuming for the DEVS maybe, but I definitely wanna see this in SH5. You could almost illiminate the need for any H.U.D. and thus make the sim more immmersive.

Overall, 1.3 SH4 is lookng great! The modding community will add more and more interesting elements to the game making playing enjoyable for months to come.
Old 07-14-07, 12:28 PM   #4
WernerSobe
Commodore

Downloads: 5

the issue with the torpedoe detonators.
WernerSobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-07, 01:59 PM   #5
MaxT.dk
Rough night at Langtrees brothel

Downloads: 0
Patch 1.4 won't be released, you can stop your whining right after this line

http://maxt.dk/archives/2007/03/22/s...nter-4-cheats/
Get KillerSub MOD and bring the Hell back to Earth! The FUN way to play SH4! Now with Rail Guns!
MaxT.dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-07, 02:04 PM   #6
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxT.dk
Patch 1.4 won't be released, you can stop your whining right after this line

this is not about whining, it is about fixing unresolved issues with the game.

i don't believe anyone really expects another patch from ubisoft but that doesn't mean we shouldn't begin working on a way to finish fixing the game ourselves.
Old 07-14-07, 02:05 PM   #7
Von Manteuffel
Commander

Downloads: 411

I'm afraid I have to agree with MaxT. The fact that the 1.3 patch is also a "No-CD/DVD" patch speaks volumes. I believe that Ubi regard Silent Hunter IV as "Job done!" Any future changes, developments will be up to the modding community.
Von Manteuffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-07, 02:12 PM   #8
schmutt
Watch

Downloads: 7

They didn't want to do 1.3 in first place. So why should they come up with 1.4? I woudn't in their place. SH4 is dead for UBI. Wait two weeks and nobody will even have heard of it. SH4??? Aye? What are ye talking about...
Old 07-14-07, 02:12 PM   #9
Morts
Admiral

Downloads: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Manteuffel
I'm afraid I have to agree with MaxT. The fact that the 1.3 patch is also a "No-CD/DVD" patch speaks volumes. I believe that Ubi regard Silent Hunter IV as "Job done!" Any future changes, developments will be up to the modding community.
then they could atleast release a SDK for SHIV (and SHIII)
Morts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-07, 02:13 PM   #10
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

i thought it was obvious to everyone that we would never get another official patch from ubisoft but to clean up any confusion i added this notation to my original post.
Old 07-14-07, 02:16 PM   #11
MaxT.dk
Rough night at Langtrees brothel

Downloads: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEBSTER
i thought it was obvious to everyone that we would never get another official patch from ubisoft but to clean up any confusion i added this notation to my original post.
Is that why the title of your discussion thread asks for a PATCH?
I don't remember the last time when any released MOD could be called for a PATCH
If it did happend, please refresh me.

That's basically the reason of my reply
And I'm sure modders will get there, just need to give it some time and patience

http://maxt.dk/archives/2007/03/22/s...nter-4-cheats/
Get KillerSub MOD and bring the Hell back to Earth! The FUN way to play SH4! Now with Rail Guns!
MaxT.dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-07, 02:20 PM   #12
Von Manteuffel
Commander

Downloads: 411

Quote:
Originally posted by Morts:
then they could atleast release a SDK for SHIV (and SHIII)
Now THAT would really be something!
Von Manteuffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-07, 02:28 PM   #13
CaptainCox
Sea Lord

Downloads: 4

From one of the Devs!
Quote:
Silent Hunter is a very lucky game. It's a game created by grown-ups for other grown-ups to play it. All of them which are fanatic about simulations and submarine simulation. So because of this grown-up thing, there can be an unofficial dialog (here on subsim) about the good and the bad of the game. And as players can see, the dev team has listened to the problems and fixed them as knew best using the available resources (time, money, people). The satisfaction rate about SH4 has increased steadily with each patch. I think that is very obvious.

It is only the satisfaction of the players that motivate the devs (and the money they spent on the game that motivates the Ubi bosses). And everyone can see that we already have a 3rd patch that makes the SH4 experience even better.

Time is now to enjoy the game. Otherwise, you've wasted your money (I think is silly to buy a game, wait until patch no 3, and not play it at all. It's like not enjoying life until you're 30, just because you're not all the way smart and experienced).

As for the idea that Ubi should make the source code public, I completely disagree. The devs are the owners of the source code and this ownership is the only thing that gives them the right to come back to make a new patch or start a new game (SH5). Plus, you can imagine the complexity of the code of a game like SH4, which took in a total of almost 4 years to develop (including SH3, SH4 being based on it). It's almost as complex as the software that runs the Boeing planes. It takes a game professional to be able to handle that amount of code, of that complexity. Although the players understand all the inner workings of the simulation of the sub, I think they don't understand what it takes to make that simulation happen on their screen. "A genius is someone who makes it look easy".
Everybody should do what they do best: the devs create the game, the players play it. Being able to mod a game doesn't imply the ability to create a game. There is a subtle but important difference. Plus, the devs use completely different tools than moders do.

A great deal of effort has been put into SH to make it modable. SH is not modable by chance. So have fun with the game, mod it the way you want, but it's not fair to ask for the code. The ownership of the code is the only thing that pays for the salaries of the devs. Working on SH4 is what pays for their kids going to school.
SS Thread Link:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...295#post593295
Old 07-14-07, 03:23 PM   #14
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25

Ubisoft has not announced that SH4 is now a finished product. While it's true that they were reluctant to authorize patch 1.3, and while it's quite possible that there won't be further patches, personally, I wouldn't write SH4 off just yet.

Reading the posts written by two of the Devs in this Forum, I'd say that all is not lost. No guarantees of a further patch, but let's keep the glass half full, guys.
TDK1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-07, 03:43 PM   #15
kv29
Watch Officer

Downloads: 2

I don´t need another patch. What I need from the devs (and would really appreciate) is a little more info that allows me to finish my present and/or future mods.
kv29 is offline   Reply With Quote