SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-06-07, 12:03 PM   #1
latemail
Gunner

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0
Default [REL] Free sight for sonarman (at the dials)

Hi Skippers,
I was tiered to change the view everytime i visit the Sonarstation, to see the
direction, the sonar is actually pointing at. Therefor this tiny mod:

Download here .......

************************************************** **************************************
Installation:
1) with unmodded "menu_1024_768.ini" just activate with JSGME

2) with modded "menu_1024_768.ini"
a) put the file "Sonar notes tex.dds" in the directory data/menu/gui/layout (make Backup of the original file!!)
b) change the menu_1024_768.ini manually (see Readme)

have fun
Latemail

Last edited by latemail; 03-02-08 at 04:57 PM.
latemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-07, 12:33 PM   #2
CaptainCox
Sea Lord

Downloads: 4

Very convenient, cheers!
Old 05-06-07, 12:37 PM   #3
U-Bones
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCox
Very convenient, cheers!
Yes, nice job. I was going to try to do this by moving the camera, but this is much better, leaves it framed at a natural angle.
U-Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-07, 01:05 PM   #4
Rolf Eschke
Lieutenant

Downloads: 60

THX FOR THAT.GOOD JOB
regards Rolf
Rolf Eschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-07, 06:57 PM   #5
panthercules
The Old Man

Downloads: 6

Well, you beat me to it with this great idea - this has bugged me every time I've opened up that screen and had to move the view to see the indicator wheel. Emboldened by my success in moving/enlarging the captain's log clipboard screens earlier today, I was about to turn to this problem when I saw your thread. Good job finding this solution

However, there's another, simpler approach you might want to consider as an alternative. All you have to do is change the one line below in the menu_1024_768.ini file, to move the notepad over to an unused spot on the screen:
[G33 I2]
Zone= 738 768 286 290 0 1 0x33000000 1 0 0x33010000 -1 0 -350 0
See screenshot below for results:

I tested this briefly in the Midway mission, and everything on the notepad and hydrophone/sonar station seems to work with just this one change.
Old 05-06-07, 08:21 PM   #6
Canonicus
XO

Downloads: 623
Uploads: 7

I have a 22" widscreen display set at 1280 x 960.....

When I used the number "-350", as you suggest, it still isn't placed in the middle ...

I tryed "-500" and.... bingo!...goes right smack dab in the middle between the indicators.

I just thought I would pass this along to anyone who might be using a widescreen display. You can increase the number to get it right , if need be.

BTW...GREAT FIND and a nice change....Thanks!

Last edited by Canonicus; 05-06-07 at 11:48 PM.
Canonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-07, 08:40 PM   #7
panthercules
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonicus
I have a 22" widscreen display set at 1280 x 960.....

When I used the number "-350", as you suggest, it still isn't place in the middle ...

I tryed "-500" and.... bingo!...goes right smack dab in the middle between the indicators.

I just thought I would pass this along to anyone who might be using a widescreen display. You can increase the number to get it right , if need be.

BTW...GREAT FIND and a nice change....Thanks!
Yeah - I forgot to mention that I had only tested that at 1024x768. Given the way these location numbers work (apparently in terms of pixels from various reference points), it seems likely that most of these sorts of fixes that work at 1024x768 will probably need to be tweaked differently to work at different resolutions (or else there's some other elegant way of making it multi-resolution-capable that I haven't figured out yet) - thanks for pointing that out for those who run at higher/different resolutions. I find it interesting that the file is called menu_1024_768.ini - I wonder if at one point they thought they would have different (but similar) files for different resolutions?
Old 05-06-07, 09:12 PM   #8
DCOg
Mate

Downloads: 40

This is a great fix - thanks.
I moved the box over to the left OK but now it shares the same space as the crew dialog box. Is there a way to move the box down?

Running 1280 x 960

DCOg
DCOg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-07, 11:29 PM   #9
Canonicus
XO

Downloads: 623
Uploads: 7

Yes....position your cusor on the box up in the top left corner of the dialog box and your cusor will change to directional arrows indicating that you can then drag & drop the dialog box to another position on the screen.

Then...when you have postioned it, click the box next to it and a check mark appears, indicating that you've lock the dialog box at that position on the screen. Use the slider control to change the background appearance from light to dark , or vice-versa.

Also...it seems to sometimes forget where you placed it so you may have to reposition it everytime you start an SH4 session.

(sounds like a bloody bug!)
Canonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-07, 12:29 AM   #10
panthercules
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonicus
Yes....position your cusor on the box up in the top left corner of the dialog box and your cusor will change to directional arrows indicating that you can then drag & drop the dialog box to another position on the screen.

Then...when you have postioned it, click the box next to it and a check mark appears, indicating that you've lock the dialog box at that position on the screen. Use the slider control to change the background appearance from light to dark , or vice-versa.

Also...it seems to sometimes forget where you placed it so you may have to reposition it everytime you start an SH4 session.

(sounds like a bloody bug!)
Yeah - as you will note from my screenshot, I always drag it down into the bottom left corner, so it hides behind the bottom toolbar when that is "up" but is visible when the bottom toolbar is "down" (assuming that you've unlocked that bottom toolbar by clicking on the little red icon at the very far left end of the toolbar so it will slide up and down). I find it takes up less valuable real estate down there but is still accessible when I want to see it. I wish they'd left it in the middle part of the bottom tool interface like in SH3.

Now that I've figured out how to move stuff around on the screen a bit, I'm gonna try to see if that crew message box is hiding in the menu_1024_768.ini file some place where I can figure out how to move it down there permanently rather than having to drag it down there every time I start the game. That is, unless somebody else beats me to it
Old 05-07-07, 12:37 AM   #11
panthercules
The Old Man

@latemail - BTW, I like your smaller version of the notepad, and I bet that placement of it probably works better for folks who're using different resolutions - I was just getting lazy after playing around with that menu.ini file so much lately and was looking for a way to avoid making that many changes if I could. I really appreciate you homing in on where this fix needed to be made, 'cause this has been a pet peeve of mine for some time and your post saved me a bunch of time searching for the place for my lazy fix.

Keep up the great work
Old 05-07-07, 06:26 AM   #12
latemail
Gunner

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthercules
............. the file is called menu_1024_768.ini - I wonder if at one point they thought they would have different (but similar) files for different resolutions?
I think it is just another leftover from SH3, like many files and tga´s and and and .....
if you look through the directories, you find half of SH3 in there

and THX for your reply, I worked it out without thinking of the new resolutions, so if someone wants to change the position of the notes, your tip is very helpfull:

Zone= 738 768 286 290 0 1 0x33000000 1 0 0x33010000 -1 0 XXX YYY

XXX is changing the x-position on screen, minus goes left, plus goes right
YYY is changing the y-position on screen, minus goes down, plus goes up

you can move each part (target etc.), but the best way of moving the notes will be changing the values of the menu group

Last edited by latemail; 05-07-07 at 06:48 AM.
latemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-07, 12:49 AM   #13
panthercules
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthercules
Now that I've figured out how to move stuff around on the screen a bit, I'm gonna try to see if that crew message box is hiding in the menu_1024_768.ini file some place where I can figure out how to move it down there permanently rather than having to drag it down there every time I start the game. That is, unless somebody else beats me to it
Well, I did manage to figure this out - see this thread if you're interested: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...527#post528527

Thanks for the inspiration latemail
Old 05-09-07, 03:29 AM   #14
Jungman
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 0

That is nice, I can see the SONAR station again without that obnoxious notebook always in the way! Plus the active ping station. A thumbs up to you all
Jungman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-07, 02:04 PM   #15
Maltro
Soundman

Downloads: 14

Very good idea.

Just an idea : Does someone could do a mod to indicate, (when we are on the radar room), the degrees around the radar screen? Like this, we would be able to see on wich angle the contact is...